Poll: Well how did you feel about the Purple Wedding (GoT Spoilers)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Watching Joffery die like he did I was actively cheering and shouting die you bastard die.

That's a first for me...

The Dwarf scene was just fucking terrible in the good way. I didnt think it was funny and found it distasful. I am glad it was there tho if you know the books you know its perfectly fine to be in there. Also its not like Joffery is a good guy or anything man I wanted to punch him every time I saw him for being such a twat.

So what was some of the highlights for you guys and where you as happy to watch the twat die as I was?

When I was reading the book I put it down and high fived my wife, I don't watch the show though.

When just desserts are served they are served well, George RR Martin is really good at making me hate people.

Purple wedding?
Is that what people are calling it? It's not as catchy as the Red Wedding.

I'm glad they changed what they did from the books, like the dwarf scene with Tyrion, I thought it worked really well on-screen.

It was amazing. And it made me do something that I never thought I would do... have sympathy for Joffery. Don't get me wrong, he got everything coming to him and deserved a lot worse in my opinion, but I couldn't get over how he died. For the length of the show he was untouchable, his crimes devoid of any real punishment (save for a few meme worthy slaps to the face), and he ruled with a supreme air of arrogance that made him so easy to hate. But at the end, all this was stripped away; no annoying smirk, no threats of violence, not even a crown on his head. All things that he used to lord over people, gone. As he died he was just a small boy, crying in the arms of his mother as he choked his last breath.

It was amazing and I am glad they did it the way they did.

Captcha: river styx

Since I read the books I knew it was coming, and to that end, the lead up to it felt a little long. I spent about ten minutes going "just kill the little fungus already" especially when the dwarfs came out. Still, the actual death, good times.

I was surprised it happened this early in the season, but whatever. Glad Joffrey's gone, he was a dick.

Also, the Purple Wedding is a stupid fucking name. I don't think it had a name in the books, but the King's Wedding works just fine.

I'd been waiting for it ever since I read it in the books, and it didn't disappoint me one bit. The scene between Cersei, Tywin and Oberyn was just delicious, watching Oberyn roast them both in epic fashion. No less satisfying was Tyrion's rebuttal to Joffrey's proposition. The part with the dwarves battling was actually even better than in the books. And of course the main dish, the final death scene, was the best of them all. I just grinned like a maniac with glee all the way up to it, and started shaking when it happened.

Also, fangasm when Bronn and Jaime practiced swordfighting. I know, it's something out of a fan fiction, but by God, was it ever cool to see!

A sublime episode. And there's still so much to come! This might be the best season GoT has had yet, and we're only 2 episodes in!

Treeinthewoods:
Snip

The show works well at making us hate him just as much as it did in the books but seeing the death over reading it it was so great see.

You know a char is well made when you hate him for the right reasons and are glad to see him die.

Why was it called The Purple Wedding when there was nothing purple about it other than Joffrey choked up face? (Sig!)

Still that was some strong posion for his face darken and his sclera bleed like that!

Now I want to know who spike the drink since obvious Tyrion is innocent despite he does got the motive but yet again everyone got a motive to killed him!!! I guessing it could be that queen since the the goblet was near her or maybe Litte Finger since he has been the manipulative character.

Scarim Coral:
Why was it called The Purple Wedding when there was nothing purple about it other than Joffrey choked up face? (Sig!)

Have you read the books? Might be a small spoiler so I'll put it in spoiler-text anyway. Mind you it's a very small spoiler.

Purple wedding? Wasn't it called " The Lion and the Rose"?

It's called the Purple wedding because of royalty.

Anyways, I'm not watching season 4 till I catch up and finish book 3, knew joffery's death was coming, didn't think it would be so soon though, thought it would be a end of season/book thing.

I thought it was interesting how they went so heavy on the poison route compared to the book where it seemed just as likely at first that he just choked to death on the pie. As such, the pretty visceral death he had seemed almost too over the top for me.

Overall I really liked the episode and found that some of the seemingly small changes they've made from the book actually open up some very interesting possibilities for the future.

"'Bout damn time." That was my reaction. Read the books so it wasn't as poignant as it otherwise would have been. Need to re-read these chapters to recall what comes next. This seems to be a bit early for the "shocking moment" though I'm sure they'll come up with something to keep us interested.

I did not see the episode, but read the book. Honestly I thought Joffrey would kill Cersei, Emperor Nero style, before he died.

You don't know how long I was waiting for this to happen and the wait was worth it, it was just satisfying, respect to Jack Gleeson, amazing actor, it's a shame he said he's quitting acting after GoT.

Loved the wedding part, everything about it was better than i had hoped it would be since reading it. The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)

The gem, royalty, wine ,and the little bastards face are all purple so people started calling it that. Not a new name, I've called it that for years now. But no, it is not as catchy as the red wedding.

ragethebeast:
Loved the wedding part, everything about it was better than i had hoped it would be since reading it. The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)

I'd say it's because before he was deadset on his goal, now it seems like he's questioning the blind dedication by the followers of his mad religion, and he sees them for what they are. A danger to him and his family, which he overlooked because he was so obsessed by the throne and Melisandre.

ragethebeast:
The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)

It's necessary to counter balance Stannis' trademark gruff nature with acts of kindness in the series, otherwise he'll come across as worse than he really is in the new medium.

Sadly, subtlety doesn't work as well in cinema as it does on paper, especially when you switch to a method where you can't see other character's thoughts.

That said, I don't think the characterization was all that horrid. It was a good focal point for the conflict of Stannis' personal morals and those of the red woman he depends on.

A little off topic and to avoid spoiler trolls, I'm not going to read any replies, so if you don't want to bother replying then that's fine. I've seen this episode, so it doesn't directly affect me this time, but...

I'm so tired of Diet Spoilers. I never read the books and I never directly heard anyone say anything about S3E9 or the details of its plot, but unless the rest of Earth is so completely narratively retarded compared to me and I'm some sort of literary prophetic genius, it's impossible to not know pretty much everything that was going to happen by throwing around terms like "The Red Wedding." Retweeting George R. R. Martin saying "You're Welcome" is a spoiler. Telling people not to watch a Youtube clip if they haven't seen it when the title is blatantly embedded with "GRAPHIC SCENE: RED WEDDING" is a spoiler.

This thread really isn't the optimal place for this discussion I know, but if I hadn't seen the show and I saw this thread title, I'd go into the episode having immediately known something significant was going to happen or that a major character would die and the impact of it would have been completely diluted.

I understand that when a show is great and with social media being rampant, it's hard not to get excited and to sort of get into a big Internet huddle, but for what it's worth, putting "THE PURPLE WEDDING (GoT SPOILERS) into a title is 80% of a spoiler unto itself. Why do people do this? Why not "GoT Season 4 Episode 2 Opinions?" or something? It's like if the Internet was around in 1980 and you made a thread about Empire Strikes Back using a father-son joke, but still had a parenthetical spoiler warning.

Alright, carry on.

It's called the Purple Wedding because Purple is the color of royalty. No further questions are needed on the subject.

The show finally got to that bit, eh?

I'm just thankful I won't have to listen to the illiterate screen beans prattling on about, "OMG, Joffrey is soooo evil, #roastjoffrey lololol!"

Clapped in glee, well close to it anyway.

Nobody tells off Sigur Ros and commands them to leave and lives to tell about it. Nobody.

The only thing I didn't like about it was Joffrey wasn't cut in half satisfyingly by one of the many characters prone to doing that.

ragethebeast:

I get the impression he's sort of dragged along with the whole Sun God thing and is actually a bit disgusted at his own actions and the insanity he's surrounded with, but acts the part until it comes to his daughter, which is where he has to draw the line. I don't know if that's how he's supposed to be but that's how he comes across to me as a non-reader.

ragethebeast:

at least they nailed his lack of compassion for his wife xD but yeah, he did seem a tad too keen on his daughter, but they've also made his wife even madder, in the books she was just insanely devoted to the red god, not insane in general.

i loved the last few moments. not for the death - that was disappointing because he didn't claw his own throat out - but for tyrion's actions. they totally got his attempts at diffusing the situation, trying to appease joffrey and give him an out to act gracefully yet he never took it. also i got immense satisfaction from seeing Lena Headey's smile wiped off her face, she portrays cersei really well IMO

MeChaNiZ3D:
I get the impression he's sort of dragged along with the whole Sun God thing and is actually a bit disgusted at his own actions and the insanity he's surrounded with, but acts the part until it comes to his daughter, which is where he has to draw the line. I don't know if that's how he's supposed to be but that's how he comes across to me as a non-reader.

i'll give you that. i think as time goes on he gets more sucked into it, but there is definitely conflict. it's almost as is davos and melissandre are two angels on his shoulders, one appealing to his previous life of justice and righteousness and the other trying to get him to change and embrace the lord of light. i certainly see davos that way, and his promotion to hand i always thought was his attempt to keep himself in check when he has moments of doubt

Arya should be the one to kill him. They would have a second fight mirroring the one at the river, except this time they're both adults, and are equipped with swords rather than sticks.

Asclepion:
Arya should be the one to kill him. They would have a second fight mirroring the one at the river, except this time they're both adults, and are equipped with swords rather than sticks.

I disagree.

Mirroring is old hat, lots of shows, films, books, whatever do that to round of significant story arcs. It doesn't automatically make the narrative any better or more thought provoking.

Here we have the death of a major character that is used as a catalyst for a series of game changing events that are about to come. You also have the poetic symmetry of a 'poisonous' man being killed by poison.

He figuratively sows the seeds of his own death by being venomous to everyone around him and then provides the perfect moment to use his opulence and arrogance as the foundation for his assassination.

Had Arya killed him, nothing would have changed. And all that juicy foreshadowing would have gone to waste. The fight wouldn't have been a mirror of the early fight, it would have been exactly the same, only with real stakes. Arya beat Joffrey soundly the first time they fought, she'd have done it even more so had it happened again. That would have been a waste of the narrative technique.

Mirroring works best as a way to highlight significant changes that have happened inbetween the points. Think Berserk, if you've seen or read it. The mirror between Guts' and Griffith's first fight and then what happens after Doldry. The balance of power shifted dramatically in the 3 years between the two fights. This is alluded to at many points throughout this timeframe but is only given closure as Guts' bats Griffith away like a child.

Had Arya lost her first encounter, a mirrored fight by a river with the roles reversed would have been a good way to end it. As it is, it wouldn't be mirroring so much as retreading old ground. Not a particularly strong narrative device if you ask me. There's no progression, no way to measure the journey of the characters, just 2 identical fights. One fatal, one not.

Just my 2 cents.

its funny..I don't even watch this show..I can't bring myself to, yet I feel compelled wiki/TV tropes binge on it to figure out the context for all the stuff I hear.....its terrible

that shit with "reek"/Theon is just....too much..I mean god *shudder*

Colour Scientist:
Purple wedding?

I'm glad they changed what they did from the books, like the dwarf scene with Tyrion, I thought it worked really well on-screen.

was it in regards to the color of the poison/the color it turned joffrey?

Zhukov:
The show finally got to that bit, eh?

I'm just thankful I won't have to listen to the illiterate screen beans prattling on about, "OMG, Joffrey is soooo evil, #roastjoffrey lololol!"

little elitist aren't we?

Vault101:
its funny..I don't even watch this show..I can't bring myself to, yet I feel compelled wiki/TV tropes binge on it to figure out the context for all the stuff I hear.....its terrible

that shit with "reek"/Theon is just....too much..I mean god *shudder*

Colour Scientist:
Purple wedding?

was it in regards to the color of the poison/the color it turned joffrey?

You should give it a shot, reading about it is probably worse than actually watching it.

Yeah, it relates to Joffrey turning purple but I don't think it works as well as the Red Wedding.

I was sad. Joffrey was a little bitch, but I loved to hate him. Who am I gonna hate now?!

Colour Scientist:

You should give it a shot, reading about it is probably worse than actually watching it.

Yeah, it relates to Joffrey turning purple but I don't think it works as well as the Red Wedding.

the fact I feel compelled to do that at all probably makes it true..maybe I will one day but theres only so much unpleasantness I can take XD...I should though, I think I'd want to read the books first

Vault101:

Colour Scientist:

the fact I feel compelled to do that at all probably makes it true..maybe I will one day but theres only so much unpleasantness I can take XD...I should though, I think I'd want to read the books first

Yeah, they're pretty good.
He's not going to win any awards for his writing any time soon but they're engaging and it's easy to eat your way through them.
I watched season one, couldn't wait to find out what happened and read the books before the start of season two.

The show isn't unpleasant all of the time, just most of the time. XD
I guess you only hear about the shocking things that happens so you miss out on the light-hearted, more human side of the show.

Colour Scientist:

Yeah, they're pretty good.
He's not going to win any awards for his writing any time soon but they're engaging and it's easy to eat your way through them.

well I guess thats good since theyre're long and picking up a doorstopper high fantasy is pretty intimidating

The show isn't unpleasant all of the time, just most of the time. XD
I guess you only hear about the shocking things that happens so you miss out on the light-hearted, more human side of the show.

yeah, its not that I cant take unpleasantness its just when you start getting...heavy with characters motivations shades of grey and all that..well its just me, hard to explain

I was laughing. Almost as hard as I laughed at the Red Wedding. I really have not seen a death in ASoIaF so far that happened to someone who didn't deserve it in some way. And I'm a guy who really delights in witnessing comeuppance. And few deserved it more than Joff. Although I always found a kind of bizarre honesty in his crapulence. With most of the other characters they either tried to conceal their dark side or had some kind of dark secret they tried to protect. At least Joff made no bones about what a little douche he was.
(Note: I don't watch the show. Unless they start deviating from the books in a more significant manner I don't see the point of paying for HBO to see a show that's showing me nothing I didn't already read a decade ago.)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked