The Unholiest of gaming urban legends is true.... Massive Atari horde found in New Mexico

Some of you may have heard the legend that is how Atari collected all of the unsold copies of their ET game (YES THAT ET GAME) and buried them in the desert never again to see the light of day?

Well it has been found... Cue Raiders of the lost ark music....

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/26/5656288/construction-workers-unearth-legendary-cache-of-atari-games-in-new

Atari's E.T has long been touted as the worst video game to have ever been created, so bad that it had to be sealed away forever. This sounds like the start of a hilarious B movie if you ask me.

Those idiots Do they know what they just UNLEASHED UPON THIS WORLD? Throw them back into that hole before it starts melting people's faces!

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, they actually found it.

Now, what?

Maybe make it a landmark and put it in a museum? Or maybe fire the games into the sun because they suck...?

In any event, it's kinda cool that it's found.

Looks like the AVGN movie needs to get its post-production ass in gear considering the plot premise (he is looking for the ET landfill). Come on James! Finish it!

Huh, I could've sworn someone somewhere had said that those landfills were all a hoax. Guess not. Well, this is certainly an interesting thing to watch.

Oh cool, they found them.

I like how games are so old it's almost worth getting archaeologists to dig them up.

The hell? People are putting tons of effort and time in the search for it? They've got search teams, high-vis vests, cameras and everything!

Eh, who am I to judge, some people are into searching mythical things that might not be real.

Don't they know what they have done? We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but this day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from this revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Wow they actually found them. Now to do the job properly this time and burn these cartridges to at last free this world of the game's vile existence... or stick them in museum I guess.

The legends were true...

May the Gods defend their souls from the terrible phantoms of the past their search must have unleashed. They were meant to rest for eternity beneath the shifting sands, but such is not the way of Mortals. Their sacrifice for our knowledge will not be forgotten.

They found the unholy grail of gaming. they buried due to all the stuff being worthless in the face of the 1984 crash. Now watch all that crap be worth a ton due to the novelty factor.

Its shame nobody made a prophecy about finding that horde heralding the next VG crash so i could have an extra laugh about this.

Wow, do they get a reward for that? I don't think anyone's going to pay for the more preserved cases.

Now the most important question needs to be answered:

Do they still work?

So it's not only true that they buried them, people actually tried to find them, and succeeded to boot...

Though I must say that it would have been better to let the darn things stay where they were.

I can only imagine their faces when they found those cartridges...

Incidentally, if there are any intact copies of the game IN that landfill, they'd probably be worth quite a substantial sum to collectors.

Ironic that they were entirely worthless when they were buried, but now they might ACTUALLY have a price as a piece of history.

Interesting. I always see this game pop up along side superman 64 as the "worst games ever made."

Curious since the failure of E.T. was due more to a crippling overestimation in supply vs demand.
Yeah E.T. is a bad game but no more so than most lisenced games of the era. Folks who claim it to be the worst game ever made clearly nevet played the Atari 2600 KoolAid game. That damn thing was virtually unplayable.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Now, what?

Maybe make it a landmark and put it in a museum? Or maybe fire the games into the sun because they suck...?

Well it certainly deserves some form of commemoration. Maybe they should erect a giant E.T. statue on the spot where they found it.

Maybe I'm just young, but I've never heard this urban legend before.

Leemaster777:
I can only imagine their faces when they found those cartridges...

Incidentally, if there are any intact copies of the game IN that landfill, they'd probably be worth quite a substantial sum to collectors.

Ironic that they were entirely worthless when they were buried, but now they might ACTUALLY have a price as a piece of history.

Unlikely since while there may have been many buried there there were far more that went into circulation and are still out there. The ones buried were really just a drop in the bucket.

Now if they listed and marked these as separate Landfil carts. Then that might be worth something.

StormDragonZ:

Do they still work?

Another important question is is any of that stuff worth anything? No seriously, I'm genuinely curious as to whether any of that is worth more now than when it was buried.

Mossberg Shotty:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Now, what?

Well it certainly deserves some form of commemoration. Maybe they should erect a giant E.T. statue on the spot where they found it.

Maybe. I don't know if they wanna go for a giant statue of E.T. statue because of what it would look like from a distance.

If you know what I mean. ;D

Maybe I'm just young, but I've never heard this urban legend before.

Really? Huh...

In other news, I feel old. :(

Fijiman:

StormDragonZ:

Do they still work?

Another important question is is any of that stuff worth anything? No seriously, I'm genuinely curious as to whether any of that is worth more now than when it was buried.

If this town does the smart thing and numbers/issues letters of authenticity with these attesting to the fact these particular copies were "found in the legendary E.T. landfill" they will probably be more valuable to collectors. But generally speaking no, these games haven't held their value very well. E.T. and Centipede are pretty common cartridges. I've got like 2 or 3 copies of E.T. myself, not even on purpose.

And E.T. is NOT the worst game on the 2600, you just have to read the instructions to know what the hell you're doing, which is par for the course back then for almost any game more complicated than "shoot the square with your triangle".

It was real!? I always figured it was a joke exaggerating just how bad the game was. I can't believe that they actually did that.

It's equally shocking that someone actually found it. Was it part of an landfill or did they just dig a random hole out somewhere and dump the things on in? I ask as it would be very hard to find something like that in a landfill. There would be so much other random stuff to look through.

Good... Now, they should play it and see what happens to their soul or something...

Call it a "seal of approval" or something like that...

Objectable:
Don't they know what they have done? We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but this day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from this revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Truer words have not been spoken. These men have uncovered that which should not be, and I fear our very existence may not be able to survive even learning what hath been reawakened from it's dark torpor.

Such concentrated evil, given thirty years of darkness to fester, to grow, to know. And now they've gone and brought it back into the light of day.

If anyone needs me, I'll be on the street corner, waving an "The End is Nigh" sign.

At first I thought that the news about uncovering the hoax was in itself a hoax, but it looks legit. And to think I grew up hearing stories of this anti-Dorado of gaming.

Wouldn't it be funny if it's the sinister forces this excavation unleashed that finally causes the great gaming crash of 2014?

That site should now become Mecca for the video gaming world. We must all go on at least one pilgrimage there in our lifetimes.

I knew living in New Mexico would pay off eventually.

...Well sonovabitch, the rumors were true after all! Question is why anyone would go looking for a game that might not have been the worse ever made... but still was bad enough for them to bury copies of the game. Frankly, I'm more interested in what they're going to do with all this shovelware...

This is the most important discovery since Lego. But now I get a weird feeling that some great evil Atari spirit has been unleashed on the world.

I thought most people believed hat this was true, and that gaming's unholiest of gaming urban legends was Polybius?

Still, it's cool that they finally found it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked