If you could un-invent one thing, what would it be?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Bestival:
I'm gonna go ahead and say 'fire'. Mostly because I'd just wanna see what happens. (In my mind, I'm an outside observer into this hypothetical scenario. Like some alien time lord or something.)

Also, to the guy saying he wants to see westerns with sabers; Thats Zorro, you're describing Zorro... Go watch Zorro.

Wait, how do you even "uninvent" fire? Fire is a natural process. That's like saying you want to uninvent gravity or water flowing from high to low places...

As for my choice, I go with organized religion. I am of the opinion that people can believe whatever they want as long as they are not hurting anyone (including themselves) or try to force it on other people, and organized religion is pretty much defined by those two qualities.

Alternatively, "alternative medicine", more or less for the exact same reasons as above.

Drake the Dragonheart:

canadamus_prime:
Facebook, because fuck Facebook. Also Twatter. Social networking is the devil. I know human beings are social by nature, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to be THAT connected to everyone all the damn time.

Also this. Thank you sir. Good lord I hate facebook. Death to facebook!

Also text messaging. I'd get on board with the people who are saying smart phones, but smart phones have useful apps too like GPS and whatever. But when I see or hear about people in large goups sitting around just texting people or updating their Facebook or Twatter, I have to facepalm. FFS put away the fucking phone!! I really get annoyed when my sister does that. Although to be fair her boyfriend is away a lot and that's the only way she can keep in touch with him. However if I ever hosted a big party or something I'd have a big box at the door and everyone would be required to put their phone in it. They'd get it back when they leave.

Some very good choices already aired on this thread, particularly advertising (such a waste of ideas and resources, consider the millions of dollars pumped into Coke vs Pepsi campaigns, they cancel each other out, and achieve very little)

I'm also pretty sure we'd be better off without organised religion, and the concept of religious genocide (applied to all religions, Abrahamic or otherwise).

One thing not yet mentioned (and it's a kicker ;)) is:

Money.

Money is an entirely human invention, that reduces all human endeavour to numerical figures. Originally we would have needed a system of barter I agree, how many bronze axe heads are worth one pig? It's a fair question. (I'm gonna say 6)

Now, finance seems to have a mythical world of it's own, with the intricacies of hedge funds being more complex than many legal systems. Money has become an abstract concept, no longer being directly linked to the goods or services it was once needed to be, in order to make transactions possible.

The bad decisions (or perhaps low cunning) of the financial sectors of a few nations have brought the world to it's knees, and have wrought suffering across the globe, destabilising nations and forcing people from their homes.

This isn't due to outside factors, no extreme weather, no failed crop yields, it's entirely man made.

Meanwhile the people responsible for this state of affairs are still at the top of the food chain, perhaps a rethink, a revolution or at least a more meritocratic system should be considered.

Johnny Novgorod:
Guns as well. Lemme see those assholes try to pull a highschool massacre with a broadsword.

One of the biggest sprees in the US was pulled off without guns. It won't stop the violence, it'll merely separate the casuals from the hardcore. >.<

canadamus_prime:
Facebook, because fuck Facebook. Also Twatter. Social networking is the devil. I know human beings are social by nature, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to be THAT connected to everyone all the damn time.

What kills me is that nobody seems to be able to get through a conversation without checking their Facebook. Like, you're literally cutting off social interaction to use social media. And to think, I used to think texting was doing this.

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

What kills me is that nobody seems to be able to get through a conversation without checking their Facebook. Like, you're literally cutting off social interaction to use social media. And to think, I used to think texting was doing this.

I already did a mini-rant about that. People with their phones doing Facebook, Twatter, or even just texting while hanging out with friends just... well I just don't get it. You're out with your friends FFS, put away the fucking phone! Facebook can wait.

canadamus_prime:

I already did a mini-rant about that. People with their phones doing Facebook, Twatter, or even just texting while hanging out with friends just... well I just don't get it. You're out with your friends FFS, put away the fucking phone! Facebook can wait.

Yeah, RPG nights have got particularly awkward around here at this point. I'm tempted to confiscate phones until the end of the game.

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

Yeah, RPG nights have got particularly awkward around here at this point. I'm tempted to confiscate phones until the end of the game.

That's what I would do. As I said in my other post, if I ever hosted a big party/gaming night/whatever, I'd have a big box at the door for everyone to put their phones in. They'd get them back when they left and not a minute before.

I would un-invent nothing.

We have no way of telling wether un-inventing something we think is harmful/useless will lead us to never inventing something that beneficial. If anything un-inventing something will likely lead to the world being even more of a shitty place to live.

The transistor. Welcome to the fallout universe, baby! Mwahahahahahaha!

I'm doing this out of pure evil, you see. I don't have good intentions. The world is going to explode and it's all thanks to me!

epicdwarf:
I would un-invent nothing.

We have no way of telling wether un-inventing something we think is harmful/useless will lead us to never inventing something that beneficial. If anything un-inventing something will likely lead to the world being even more of a shitty place to live.

I second this. The reality of a lack of x-technology may lead to a greater catastrophic event, possibly a total breakdown of society.
But sometimes I would love to see bureaucracy cease to exist, just because of how convoluted it can be and how many folks can suffer due to red tape. Ugh... but yeah it could also lead to something worse. Its the same thing I'd feel about tampering with the past in any frame, too much potential for disaster.

Humans I mean GUNS!
More or less just to make certain situations a bit more up close and personal...

Other than that... Gender Marketing... Enough said...

I'm going to say the concept of formal clothing. A world where I don't have to arbitrarily discomfort myself for no reason would be a better place. Even if formal clothing wasn't universally terrible, I could happily do without being held to these weird social/cultural standards. Just let me wear what I want dammit! D:

shootthebandit:
smartphones. As useful as the smartphone is. All I see is people randomly flicking and pinching at some random shit on screen. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a clitorapp that people were flicking and stroking all day. People cant leave these things alone and this is why we cant have nice things

Came here to say that so I was pleasantly surprised to see it only took a few posts for someone else to mention it.

As others have said, it's mostly because of how they're destroying video games and replacing them with just the worst shit.

But a lot of other things are being ruined to make them smartphone-friendly, and this culture that's come out of everyone being able to broadcast their whole lives everywhere has kind of made us pretty insufferable.

As an aside, Pete Holmes had a bit about how, since we can now instantly look up any fact we want to know, we've lost that yearning feeling of just not knowing something, which is something young people maybe don't understand but us old folks remember well. Having a song in your head and not being able to figure out what it is. Trying to remember the name of an actor or character in a movie. Any historical fact. To paraphrase Holmes, we "know" everything, but we've "learned" nothing. And it's kind of an empty feeling.

Anyway, I came here to say smartphones, but I'm changing it to religion. I have time to explain all the reasons, but I won't. You either know them already or you wouldn't accept them anyway.

Faith is good. Religion is not.

Basketball. I hate this sport with a passion and wish it'd never be invented.

Public relations, specifically the psychologically targeted applications of it as thought up by Edward Bernays. Seriously, fuck that guy.

canadamus_prime:

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

That's what I would do. As I said in my other post, if I ever hosted a big party/gaming night/whatever, I'd have a big box at the door for everyone to put their phones in. They'd get them back when they left and not a minute before.

Christ, smartphones.

When it comes to RPG's, I'm lucky if some people don't bring their fucking laptops to games, and constantly say "Hey guys, let's watch this" or "Hey, look at this funny thing".

I actually had to kick someone out for that because over a year he kept derailing the game.

And I don't allow smartphones are my table unless it's a real emergency. Any less than that and I consider it pretty bloody rude.

One guy has a girlfriend who just won't let him go the 4 hours to roleplay without messaging him. It's like "seriously, you can't concentrate for 4 hours?"

Vegosiux:
The concept of advertising. And all variations of coffee except for plain black. And high heels, seriously, those things are just bad for your feet, did you see an X-ray of how that looks?.

I've seen the x-rays and the whole nine yards, but honestly they seem to matter much less when you're wearing a pair. They're uncomfortable for extended periods of time, and chronic use does do bad things to your feet, but they make you taller, make your legs look good, and give a surprising amount of image confidence.

On topic: I would disinvent ice cream. Damn I love it, but my life would be a lot easier if the possibility of "just one more scoop" didn't exist.

Modern cigarettes for me, as far as I know, they don't have any purpose and caused way too many deaths for my liking.

I'd un-invent air-to-air missiles.

Would be interesting to see how most modern jets would fair against each other without things like AMRAAMs. Would the F-15s still dominate over adversaries like the MiG-29. It would probably depend a bit on which country could afford to train their pilots more. I think with two sides with equal levels of skill it may end up being the Russian jets that fair better given their levels of maneuverability, though the French Rafale would probably dominate at top place.

I would un-invent the current USA politics system. It sucks, and because of all the pissing contests the political parties like to have, I have little desire to be invested in it. The other thing that needs to be un-invented is the current US school system. That's probably more important because that would go a long way to fix the current problems here in the states. Those are the two big things I would say.

Plastic. I fucking hate plastic. And I would in no way mind undoing all the subsequent inventions that use it.

Actually, no. How about agriculture?

Uninvent Lying.

All of humanity's problems: Solved.

CpT_x_Killsteal:
Uninvent Lying.

You poor naive fool. There are so many ways to deceive without saying anything false and people would continue to do so for as long as there was a benefit to it.

Human resources, just that. In concept I get it but, in practice it's just terrible.

I'd uninvent Creationism. Because I swear, those motherfuckers are just testing to see what they can get away with. Also they're totally dumb.

ClockworkPenguin:

CpT_x_Killsteal:
Uninvent Lying.

You poor naive fool. There are so many ways to deceive without saying anything false and people would continue to do so for as long as there was a benefit to it.

True, but it would be infinitely easier to reveal their true nature. Just ask "Did you kill x?", and demand a yes or no answer. Cult leaders would be pulled down, no more organized religions, corrupt politicians would be enormously obvious, and criminals would be a thousand times easier to catch.

Touchscreens. Nothing good has EVER came of them, and smartphones with buttons would be just as good, right?

Hmm,
I'm gonna have to go with the Fleshlight.
It'll be re-invented again, sure, but hopefully with a different, less creepy name.

Seriously, it sounds like a torture device made by a cannibal ffs!

erttheking:
The internet. Just to see the impact it makes on society.

South Park had an episode on that. "over Logging" The human panic would be relatively similar.

No one has said nuclear weapons yet? Well, then I shall say it: Nuclear weapons.

Whilst they arguably have a deterring effect that prevents all-out war with countries that possess nuclear armaments, I just really do not like the idea of people having such destructive power available at the press of a button. Who knows what kind of potentially crazy government or military might one day decide to use the darn things?

A few people have mentioned Religion as something they'd remove but I don't know why. Religion isn't inherently evil, it's twisted by those with power who abuse it for their own selfish gain and trick ignorant people into causing harm. This happens in all organisations.
If you removed Religion all that would happen is that you'd remove the middle man for conflicts. There'd still be wars and conflicts with others purely because "they're different" or because someone in power wants more land, wealth, whatever.
Actually with the removal of Religion I think the world would be a much worse place. Think of all the art that came from religious texts and tales, all the art inspired by those artists and their work. All of the scientific discoveries made in the name of religion or to disprove religious theories. All the philosophies, laws and concepts that come from religion and from those that question it.
Religion has brought both good and bad into the world, and to remove it/ have it never exist would make the world a darker place.

Sorry if that was a little ranty but I wanted to share my opinions on that matter (also sorry if it reads a little weird, I struggle getting my thoughts and opinions into words).

Anyway, if I could un-invent something it'd have to be the need for media to be hugely successful nowadays. So many games, movies, shows and books are ruined because of budgetary constraints or because the original work is deemed by a bunch of suits to not be profitable enough. Just let these things be what they're meant to be, not "Good book changed into crummy Twilight knock-off #278 the movie".

How about un-inventing corporations? Might be interesting to see what things would be like without them.

Or, even better, faith. Given it's the most dishonest position it is possible to have, I don't think there's any way you could not have a better world without it.

Whelp, I'm really original and immediately thought of guns/gun powder.
I can live without faster built skyscrapers or fireworks if less people get shot everyday.

But hell, people will eventually find away to invent it anyway.

I was going to say bras but I guess that would cause more problems than it would solve.

I'm going to go with bicycles. They're dangerous, they're annoying and they cause the people that own them to become smug.

Alcohol beverages. Nothing good has ever come out of them. They make people into mindless disgusting swines.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked