Poll: What are you doing for halloween?!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Title says it all, costume? Plans? Let's hear it!

I work abroad where halloween isnt a thing. Im flying back home early saturday morning so I wont be doing anything

If I was at home the kids would be lucky to get anything. I dont eat sweets and I dont see why peoples kids should come to my door begging

Well my plan was to do nothing but being content at my usual routine (I want my long gaming session on Boderlands: The PRe Sequel) but since I got called into work for the Halloween event at the last minute (sure I did know we're going to have a Halloween event but my name wasn't on tomorrow schedule, I assume I was off which I was fine with), I will be at work but with my costume on (Halloween event for charity).

I think replaying Song of Saya or some other horror game is called for.

Play Alien Isolation, watch Ernest Scared Stupid.

Same thing I do every night, sitting here either playing video games or posting on the escapist.

Halloween isn't that big in Australia, but there are a lot of young kids in my neighbourhood so hopefully they are out and about. My partner and I are staying in and handing out lollies and chocolate to anyone who comes. Or, eating lots of lollies and chocolate if nobody comes.

Kigirumis, music, friends and various alcohols.

A friend of mine invited me to a wedding (he's been trying to find someone I'd be willing to be in a relationship with) and I figure I don't have anything better to do.

000Ronald:
A friend of mine invited me to a wedding (he's been trying to find someone I'd be willing to be in a relationship with) and I figure I don't have anything better to do.

Whoa, man. Just because you don't have a romantic partner doesn't mean you need to go get married with some stranger that your friend thinks you'll like.

AccursedTheory:

000Ronald:

Whoa, man. Just because you don't have a romantic partner doesn't mean you need to go get married with some stranger that your friend thinks you'll like.

...y'know, now that I think about it, you're absolutely right. But all the stuff is already set up, a band's been hired, and I even rented a tux.

This is going to be the worst birthday ever.

I'm going out to dinner with my girlfriend and after that we're catching Halloween (the John Carpenter movie) at a movie theater.

I'm afraid giving candy to kids goes against the conditions of my parole, so I will be hiding in my room.

I'll probably watch The Nightmare Before Christman and just hang out in my apartment. I watched that movie last year and it's a tradition I'm trying to make for myself, as normally I don't really do anything for Halloween much anymore.

It's sad really, but I'm working on fixing that.

insaninater:
Title says it all, costume? Plans? Let's hear it!

Halloween Party! Wooo!

I used some of my anime cos-play skills to throw together a Captain Marvel costume. I look very sexy in it, if I do say so myself.

Probably just gonna hand out candy. And take whatever candy is left over (if any).

Greg White:
I think replaying Song of Saya or some other horror game is called for.

Love that game! Obscure horror VN brofist!

Anyway, as for myself, i'm stuck trick or treating with my sisters, although my Dr. House outfit (dated i know, but i only just got into the show), is going quite well if i do say so myself!

Making myself look dead and rolling around in the dirt in our backyard and then going to the bar to have two drinks or so and then out to eat and then coming back home. The day after however I'm going to make myself look dead and roll around in the dirt in the backyard and then go to a party and drink.

I am going to a Haunted House with some Chinese friends.

Which is interesting, because the Escapist has an article about Haunted Houses in Hong Kong being popular now.

Playing the Evil Within.

well it's my birthday
my wife and i are going out for Japanese (my fav)
halloween isnt a big thing here in australia, but its gaining in popularity
but as a health nut im not big on giving sugary junk to kids.
one year i want to do a full haunted house and dress as a zombie chef and cook fingers on the BBQ (sausages with onion fingernails) with a glowing pumpkin head scarecrow decoration in the front yard. im still working out what else i want to do for it

Originally my fiancee and I were going to a Halloween party at a friends house but we received some sad family news today and decided that we weren't feeling up for a party. Instead we're going to stay home and watch Ghostbusters, Hellraiser and maybe a few others.

Same thing I do every year:
1. Shave my head completely bald since November's the next day.
2. Get Thai food. (Easier said than done since the Thai place I like is on the opposite side of a large parade.)
3. Lock myself in my room and wait for the holiday to blow over.
Part 1 is a new tradition that I started last year. This year a buddy is joining me. Parts 2 and 3 have been going on for 8 years strong.

Well, I already went to a Halloween party last Sunday where we watched movies from Nightmare Before Christmas to Plan 9 from Outer Space as well as watching a few Halloween-themed PMVs/YTPs on the side, so that's out...

Originally, I was going to have an anime marathon which would include Dance in the Vampire Bund, Another, Shiki, Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, Vampire Hunter D, and Sankarea... But, I'm not sure if I would be able to cover them all before Halloween ends, though... So, in the meantime, I'm rounding up as many Halloween-theme songs I can find [on my computer] and listen to those while certain videos buffer due to having a slow internet connection...

zen5887:
Halloween isn't that big in Australia, but there are a lot of young kids in my neighbourhood so hopefully they are out and about. My partner and I are staying in and handing out lollies and chocolate to anyone who comes. Or, eating lots of lollies and chocolate if nobody comes.

I'm in Australia too. What exactly are we supposed to do if we have no candy when the critters come?

Heh, I was supposed to have the night off.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes to dress up and scare the kids who come up for candy, but, alas, I wound up having to take someone's shift. So! I'll be working most of the night.

Can't even do it in costume either. Depressing.

We don't really celebrate Halloween here. Instead we celebrate All Hallow's Eve (I know, just an older name for the same event) and it only consists of us putting candles on the graves of our loved ones.

I'm watching horror flicks and reading horror comics all day long. I've got enough candy for any kids that might drop by, and I might go to a midnight horror movie that an independent move theater will be showing around midnight.

Giving the Hershey bars and Whoppers (malted milk balls) to the Trick or Treaters,
saving the Cookies n Cream, Reese's and Almond Joy for myself.

If I run out of disposable candy the hierarchy is thus...

Cookies n Cream
Almond Joy
The Reese's will be sacrificed last.

Doing shots and giving out candy. One shot per knock at the door/doorbell ring.

If they get a treat, then I get a treat damnit!

EDIT-ING-ER-ISH-ED:

Might have gone too far... urp.

"Ignoring halloween being a thing" Because it's not where i'm from. We do have a holiday tomorrow, but it's about visiting graves and lighting candles and stuff, so definitely no silly costumes or parties.

I'm going to a Halloween party but there's nothing really Halloween about it, apart from the fact we're going trick or treating later. My friends and I basically just used it as an excuse to meet up, which is fine by me!

Halloween is one of those things I don't really buy into. I went out knocking on people's doors when I was younger but stopped when I was fairly young. The only reason I'm doing it today is because my friends are and for the whole nostalgia of it. Plus, Halloween kind of sends a bad message to young kids, "you can get food of random strangers if you beg and harass them".

Nemusus:

zen5887:

I'm in Australia too. What exactly are we supposed to do if we have no candy when the critters come?

The Australian tradition is to treat them exactly as you would treat any other unwanted doorknocker... possibly with some added vitriol about halloween not being part off Australian cultural tradition.

Although, the best response I've seen was from a Canuck expat I used to hang with. He'd just say "trick" and when they stared at him blankly he'd set his dogs after them (and before anyone says anything... yes the dogs scared the living piss out of the kids BUT there is no way they'd have actually hurt the kids - the bloke was a dog handler and trainer for the RCAF before he emigrated, so his dogs wouldn't have done anything to the kids unless he specifically commanded them to.)

It's so weird to have some of the media scream Halloween, and in reality, there's literally nothing here in Germany.
It's not our holiday and nobody celebrates it, yet some business people still try to force it, and everybody ignores it.

Halloween?

What is Halloween?

This thing that surely does not exist, yet is constantly being mentioned in a variety of vernacular tones, simply fills me with begrudged rage. Surely this thing does not exist. Because, I've never heard of it.

I'm not going to begin the celebration of something that, logically, cannot or should not exist. Such silliness is to be reserved for the childish among us. I do say.

(Nothing.)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked