In Norway a pack of cigarettes costs over 15 dollars

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

http://www.cigaretteprices.net/

A pack of cigarettes in Norway costs 15.1 USD / 11.2 Euros. The figures are based on the average price of a pack of Marlboro. If you smoke one pack of cigarettes per day, it will cost you over 5500 USD per year.

Anyways, what are your opinions about this extreme case? I think smoking should be reduced as much as possible, but I am wondering if this really helps to reduce consumption. I'm sure it causes a lot of smuggling.

Norway is only on place 91 in cigarette consumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita

It's going to make some people smoke less and others spend more but smoke the same. It'll just balance out in the end, I assume.

Yeah I think smuggling would be a better idea than paying that. That's insane, I get mine for $1 per pack.

Then, it's a good thing that I a) don't live in Norway, and b) don't smoke.

Though, I think it would be better if each price was broken down. What's the import tax? What's the price of gas? What's the cost of living? How much of the price is a "sin tax"?

Eh, fags are about 10 squids in Ireland so it's not that big a leap.

I'm a smoker (not a heavy one) and, to be honest, while it's a pain in the arse (and the bank account) to hand over a tenner every time you want a box of cigarettes, I understand the logic behind it.

It's not something I generally moan about apart from a brief sigh when an increase is announced in every annual budget.

Colour Scientist:

What size squids?

Boris Goodenough:

Colour Scientist:

What size squids?

Depends on where you go.

My local shop generally accepts fried calamari.

Note to self break in to the Tobacco industry and get in on this gouge.

In any other instance I would have sympathy but my stance on smoking is bad to understate it. But if they need their fix then why not profiteer of something that is only bad. If you want to hurt yourself and everyone around you pay up and at least do some good by giving some guilt free pocket lining.

Colour Scientist:

Depends on where you go.

Ah, thank you for clarifying!

Colour Scientist:

I'm a smoker (not a heavy one) and, to be honest, while it's a pain in the arse (and the bank account) to hand over a tenner every time you want a box of cigarettes, I understand the logic behind it.

It's not something I generally moan about apart from a brief sigh when an increase is announced in every annual budget.

Yes, Ireland was the other extreme case. Ireland is also number 53 in the list of most cigarettes consumed (link in the op) which is quite high.

Prime_Hunter_H01:

The tobacco industry doesn't get any of the taxes, which is what most of those 15.1 dollars is.

They're about $12-14 for a pack of 20 in the UK as far as I know, so it doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Prime_Hunter_H01:

In any other instance I would have sympathy but my stance on smoking is bad to understate it. But if they need their fix then why not profiteer of something that is only bad. If you want to hurt yourself and everyone around you pay up and at least do some good by giving some guilt free pocket lining.

Oh it's not the tobacco industry at all, they get jack shit from all this. It's the governments cracking down on this hideous habit, first came the ban on smoking in all public buildings and now the tax on cigs themselves is getting ludicrously high every year to just push people out of it.

I don't generally condone a heavy stick to force people toward something, no matter how sensible, but no amount of health warnings made a dent even when made plainly clear it is endangering everyone around it.
So on this occasion I'll call it fair, if you can't keep your nasty health hazards to yourself then you don't get to have them, period.

In the distant future money will be backed by humanity's most valuable resource: cigarettes

Think of it as a potential injury insurance. -"Oh, and who's going to pay for the medical cost when you get cancer?" -"I already am, bit by bit."

It's similar to the alcohol taxation, ensuring that part of the profit from a drug on sale goes towards combating its ill effects.

and I didn't think it could get much worse than NY selling for $13/pack

Hazy992:
They're about $12-14 for a pack of 20 in the UK as far as I know, so it doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Closer to ten, methinks. I'm fairly certain that it's a teensy bit cheaper than it is here.

Colour Scientist:

Hazy992:

Closer to ten, methinks. I'm fairly certain that it's a teensy bit cheaper than it is here.

I think it depends where you go but it's certainly around £8 or more at supermarkets and the like.

Colour Scientist:

Boris Goodenough:

Colour Scientist:

What size squids?

Depends on where you go.

Damn, here in the states they won't take one unless it's got at least 2 tentacles intact. But then due to the lack of squids we tend to go by buckets of crayfish more often, anyway.

But for rizzles, I think in the US I've seen a single pack of cigarettes as cheap as $2 or $3 advertised at gas stations or drugstores. Yeah, as serious as they are on the "war on drugs" they sure are scared of pissing off the tobacco industry.

Hazy992:

Colour Scientist:

Hazy992:

I think it depends where you go but it's certainly around £8 or more at supermarkets and the like.

Derp, I read your original post with 12-14 as pounds rather than dollars.

My bad!

Yeah sounds about the same as the UK. Slightly more expensive.

It's the thing I always say when I see my friends smoking: How can they afford it? It's crazy expensive.

Also makes me feel better when I spend like £4.50 on a game. Even a pointless skin in League isn't as pointless or expensive as smoking.

Points out that Australia appears to have the most expensive cigarettes on that list with 17USD.

I don't think raising cigarette prices stops smoking. It just means poorer people will buy them over necessary food and home goods.

Even though I think smoking should be eliminated somehow.

Muspelheim:
Think of it as a potential injury insurance. -"Oh, and who's going to pay for the medical cost when you get cancer?" -"I already am, bit by bit."

It's similar to the alcohol taxation, ensuring that part of the profit from a drug on sale goes towards combating its ill effects.

Thank gods for those smokers. They are those who pay more taxes and later, less pensions!

As long as I don't have one near me, I am good. And so are they.

I think it's a good thing. That shit's worse than crack as far as I'm concerned. Raise the price more and more until it's zoned completely out and the morons buying them on a regular basis (my whole immediate family) will save a fortune.

WolfThomas:
Points out that Australia appears to have the most expensive cigarettes on that list with 17USD.

I don't think raising cigarette prices stops smoking. It just means poorer people will buy them over necessary food and home goods.

You mean the stupider people will buy them over necessities. If people won't listen to common sense or the health of them or their child, maybe they'll listen to their wallets.

You guys have it easy. In Australia (where I live at least) cigarettes are approaching $22 AUD ($19.19 USD) a packet.

I only smoke about three a day and I barely ever drink coffee or alcohol so it's affordable for me. Pretty ridiculous though for a bundle of paper and leaves.

CpT_x_Killsteal:
I think it's a good thing. That shit's worse than crack as far as I'm concerned. Raise the price more and more until it's zoned completely out and the morons buying them on a regular basis (my whole immediate family) will save a fortune.

WolfThomas:

You mean the stupider people will buy them over necessities. If people won't listen to common sense or the health of them or their child, maybe they'll listen to their wallets.

Welp you better outlaw alcohol, driving over 50 KPH and casual sex too. Also you better make everyone wrap themselves up in thick plastic sheeting and bubblewrap so they can't get hurt or infected in any way. People have a choice with what they do to their own bodies. If they hurt themselves or others in the process it's their own fucking fault and lack of discipline that is to blame. The product can definitely be blamed too, but a lot of people can't seem to get the idea of moderation.

Don't get me wrong, smoking is REALLY bad for your body, but people should still have the choice.

They cost about $18NZD (which is $13USD currently) here so ours isn't that much cheaper. They are intentionally taxed high to discourage them but honesty that doesn't seem to work just like how taxing alcohol doesn't seem to work. People will be living off cornflakes before they give up smoking and drinking.

Lilani:
But for rizzles, I think in the US I've seen a single pack of cigarettes as cheap as $2 or $3 advertised at gas stations or drugstores. Yeah, as serious as they are on the "war on drugs" they sure are scared of pissing off the tobacco industry.

It varies from state to state. But yeah, the states that play home to the major producers keep the taxes low (like North Carolina, which charges 46 cents per pack) while some cities have very high state/city combo taxes (Chicago: $6.16 tax per pack; New York City: $5.85/pack). This is in addition to a federal tax of $1.01 per pack.

Man, I'm glad I don't smoke.

In Australia cost of cigarettes is now over AUD$20 (~USD$17) per pack. I'm an ex-smoker and I think it's great. Australia is a country with universal health care and the taxes on cigarettes more than cover the burden smokers place on the health system. Even when I was smoking, I thought this was good as I would never want my destructive personal choice costing other people. The rising cost was also a major motivator in quitting for me. Don't get me wrong, the whole disease and death part was certainly starting to weigh on my mind but I guess it feels a bit like a long distance worry. When you think of it terms of saving something like $500 a month then it feels a whole lot realer. I really enjoyed smoking, but not for $500 a month.

CpT_x_Killsteal:

No I stick to my guns. Anecdotally I work in a medical field. Pretty much everyone I meet who still regularly smoke are of a lower socio-economic background. Many are less educated and so I guess you could callously call them "stupider". And they don't stop smoking just because the prices go up. They're addicted.

So you get kids whose parents can't buy the right food or so on, but still buy a pack a day.

Don't get me wrong, if I could I'd outright ban cigarettes. And I agree with campaigns of removing tobacco advertisements and keeping them out of site. I just don't think constantly raising the price is the solution (I don't think making them cheap either though would help).

Canadian smokers are the lucky ones, I guess. We can go out to the Native reserves and buy a pack for $4. They taste like shit, but cheap is cheap.

Pete Oddly:
Canadian smokers are the lucky ones, I guess. We can go out to the Native reserves and buy a pack for $4. They taste like shit, but cheap is cheap.

Or depending on where you live, hop over the border to buy them along with cheaper groceries and consumer goods.

If I was a smoker that was paying 15+ dollars a pack, I would have switched over to grow my own Tobacco.

Xan Krieger:
Yeah I think smuggling would be a better idea than paying that. That's insane, I get mine for $1 per pack.

Where the fuck do you live? Excuse my language there but that baffles the shit out of me considering the federal tax on cigs these days has almost doubled the price of packs... Though I'm thankful I don't live in California. Holy shit batman, I'm paying the same price now in Florida that I did 14 years ago in California, so I can only imagine how expensive they are out there.

*plays world's smallest violin*

Can't say I care that a deadly drug costs so much.
Poor you.

That's nothing ... cheapest (average price of cheapest brands across retailers) 25 pack in Australia? 17.15 AUD. Over the last 2 years Australia has been above parity with the USD to <90c USD, so I'm not going to talk about currency convertibility given the AUD is notoriously unstable and really doesn't change the regional CPI and the amount it costs as per the pay cheque.

It's ridiculous. As a smoker myself, I feel like I should merely stop by Canberra every month and toss a few hundreds into a giant pot due to heavy national excises. Though it has gotten many people to quit smoking. Also stopped some of the poorest segments of society (the people most at threat by the deleterious effects of smoking) from uptaking the habit to begin with, so it's not entirely without merit.

Tanis:
*plays world's smallest violin*

Can't say I care that a deadly drug costs so much.
Poor you.

I was going to say something to this effect. Honestly that's what you get for being an addict (and yes, smokers, you are addicts).

Whenever people complain about the cost of cigarettes I remember my former neighbours who could always seem to afford cigarettes (and alcohol) but then complained when their kids needed money to take part in afterschool activities.
Priorities, eh?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked