Joss Whedon deletes twitter account following mass of feminist criticism

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:

shinyelf:
Snip snap snop

Essentially the same point I was trying to make. These words are being used by mass media as a method of shutting down debate and discussion. Basically it's gotten to the point where the words have been elevated to "buzz word" status, and weaponized to destroy ones opponents, especially along lines of political discourse. Which is sad because as subject based words they have value to easily illustrate a point, rather than having to use a round about wording to describe how something can come off offensive.

So basically we've been arguing over how much we actually agree with each other? God I love the internet.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:

Nirallus:
I'll bite. How is that quip transphobic, let alone unacceptable?

Basically it's easily viewed as a shot at trans people. Basically talking about strong woman leads and not having male genitalia. Since not all trans people go in for gender reassignment surgery, it can be seen as a joke at the expense of trans people. Even if he didn't mean it that way that's how I saw it, as did a bunch of other transwomen apparently. If he didn't mean it that way, a clarification wouldn't be amiss.

1. What ever happened to if you can take a comment two ways and one of them is insulting and the other is not, then assume its the non-insulting way until you know otherwise?

2. Over the past 20 years, he's made some of the best and most interesting female characters in things like Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse. Picking on him for his use of Marvel's source material is a bit unfair. He didn't create the Marvel Universe, he just used the tools he had.

Nirallus:
Also for everyone's viewing pleasure, here's another hilarious compilation from Joss' Twitter...

My thoughts exactly. When I heard about this, I was rather confused, since everything I've heard about Joss is that he's firmly on the social justice side.

So you can march in lock step with these fanatics all you want, but the second you march slightly out of sync they'll clock you as a sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, ageist, sizeist, singlist, specist bigot?

What exactly are people angry about anyway? Surely it isn't just that allegedly transphobic statement, right?

I'm... really confused? Black Widow was pretty vital to the plot, actually held her own in a more than considerable way and had an intriguing backstory which got trimmed down so woo, extended edition version will have more red room. Actually, one big thing I liked about Ultron was everyone GOT an arc and they were all integral to a point. The Maximoffs could have been smooshed into being just one but it was kind of cool, and Scarlet Witch had her own bevy of flaws like not being a natural fighter and having to woman up before going on a rampage or being a tad vindictive when it came to Ultron and her brother. I know that there's a bunch of modern feminists for whom flaws = sexist, but surely the majority are actually gonna back him up on having moderately well rounded characters? (still don't get the 'slut' gag or issue, only Avenger she shows ACTUAL interest in is Banner, in all the movies. No feelings for Rogers since she's always trying to set him up, she's besties with Barton, actively declines Stark)

Also, while I do think we need more female leads in the FILMS, AoS and Agent Carter did do a pretty stand up job of having lead female characters with Jessica Jones on the way. Which really just emphasises they could MAKE the movie even if none of the radicals clamouring for it would see it because they'd find SOME fault >.> Really I just wanna see a Captain Marvel movie, it could be really f*cking cool.

Sad to lose Whedon on Twitter :( and sad no-one can remember that EVERY OTHER FILMED THING HE'S PRODUCED STARRED A FEMALE LEAD (... except Firefly, but I'd argue it's an ensemble. Wouldn't WIN the argument but I'd argue it)

shinyelf:

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:

shinyelf:
Snip snap snop

Essentially the same point I was trying to make. These words are being used by mass media as a method of shutting down debate and discussion. Basically it's gotten to the point where the words have been elevated to "buzz word" status, and weaponized to destroy ones opponents, especially along lines of political discourse. Which is sad because as subject based words they have value to easily illustrate a point, rather than having to use a round about wording to describe how something can come off offensive.

So basically we've been arguing over how much we actually agree with each other? God I love the internet.

Hah! I'd consider it that we've been having a rather fruitful discussion, it just happens that we agree on the subject in general.

FoolKiller:

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:

Nirallus:
I'll bite. How is that quip transphobic, let alone unacceptable?

Basically it's easily viewed as a shot at trans people. Basically talking about strong woman leads and not having male genitalia. Since not all trans people go in for gender reassignment surgery, it can be seen as a joke at the expense of trans people. Even if he didn't mean it that way that's how I saw it, as did a bunch of other transwomen apparently. If he didn't mean it that way, a clarification wouldn't be amiss.

1. What ever happened to if you can take a comment two ways and one of them is insulting and the other is not, then assume its the non-insulting way until you know otherwise?

2. Over the past 20 years, he's made some of the best and most interesting female characters in things like Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse. Picking on him for his use of Marvel's source material is a bit unfair. He didn't create the Marvel Universe, he just used the tools he had.

1. The rules run a bit differently for people who feel singled out, marginalized, and abused, especially on a systemic level. Which is how most trans people feel. Simply when you feel targeted, you're more likely to take these things badly.

2. Somewhat irrelevant on the first part, and on the second I agree, but also the fact that he got beaten as hard as he did was unacceptable. Though he does have a problem with a single character voice across all his characters, I do like his stuff. One comment I found objectionable doesn't change that.

Addendum: Just because what he said can be taken as transphobic, and offensive in the one tweet doesn't make him a terrible person in my eyes. I was offended by it, and found it transphobic, but that's me. Besides I'm not asking for the mans head on a platter. I'd just kinda like conformation that as a trans person, me, and people like me weren't the target of that remark.

FirstNameLastName:

My thoughts exactly. When I heard about this, I was rather confused, since everything I've heard about Joss is that he's firmly on the social justice side.

So you can march in lock step with these fanatics all you want, but the second you march slightly out of sync they'll clock you as a sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, ageist, sizeist, singlist, specist bigot?

What exactly are people angry about anyway? Surely it isn't just that allegedly transphobic statement, right?

It's the internet, people don't feel fufilled unless they feel angry about something, and it's a blade that cuts both ways. As much as people like to say Moviebob has to find a way for GG to be at fault for everything, some people like to go on witch hunts for SJWs, saying that they're to blame for censorship when it turns out that censorship was artists changing their product in a way that they felt improved it. Because this is the internet. It's not a place for rational discussion, it's a place for people to roar about how their feelings and values are hurt, and that makes the other person objectively wrong. Because they think that way and human beings would sooner throw themselves on a sword than back down from an ideal they believe in, no matter how little sense it makes.

Also if you don't want to go insane, stay far away from twitter, it's like looking for rational debate in Youtube comments. Part of me wishes we could be as apathetic towards Twitter as we are to youtube comments but we're not there yet it seems.

erttheking:

FirstNameLastName:

It's the internet, people don't feel fufilled unless they feel angry about something, and it's a blade that cuts both ways. As much as people like to say Moviebob has to find a way for GG to be at fault for everything, some people like to go on witch hunts for SJWs, saying that they're to blame for censorship when it turns out that censorship was artists changing their product in a way that they felt improved it. Because this is the internet. It's not a place for rational discussion, it's a place for people to roar about how their feelings and values are hurt, and that makes the other person objectively wrong. Because they think that way and human beings would sooner throw themselves on a sword than back down from an ideal they believe in, no matter how little sense it makes.

Also if you don't want to go insane, stay far away from twitter, it's like looking for rational debate in Youtube comments. Part of me wishes we could be as apathetic towards Twitter as we are to youtube comments but we're not there yet it seems.

I think you're a bit off on that assessment. I think the reason rational debate flies out the window on the internet is due to the anonymity it provides. It makes it easy to assault someone for the tiniest things, easy to bully someone, easy to shut them down with words, and easy to provoke people for your own entertainment. Kinda states to me that most people are cowards.

Also strangely enough I've had more rational debates with people in YouTube comments that quite a few places. Sure there plenty of asshats, but by and large there are more decent people around. I think the same would go for Twitter too, it's just a shame that all we see is the negative side.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:

erttheking:

FirstNameLastName:

I think you're a bit off on that assessment. I think the reason rational debate flies out the window on the internet is due to the anonymity it provides. It makes it easy to assault someone for the tiniest things, easy to bully someone, easy to shut them down with words, and easy to provoke people for your own entertainment. Kinda states to me that most people are cowards.

Also strangely enough I've had more rational debates with people in YouTube comments that quite a few places. Sure there plenty of asshats, but by and large there are more decent people around. I think the same would go for Twitter too, it's just a shame that all we see is the negative side.

I think both play a faction

That kind of plays into what I said. People tell themselves that places like Tumblr/4chan are hives of toxicity because it helps them view SJWs/GGers as the bad guys that they've convinced themselves that they are, and it could be 1 negative post for every 100 positive posts and those people would only care about and focus on the negative ones because they've already made up their minds that they're right and they're just looking for evidence to support the conclusion they've already reached. It's kind of why I'm kind of apathetic about this whole mess. We're focusing on a small group of jackasses on Twitter and losing our minds over it.

Again.

erttheking:

I have somewhat of a compulsion to look at the comments under a Youtube video, and I have absolutely no idea why. I still maintain that there is more intelligent discussion on /b/ than there is on Youtube. They only ever make me lose faith in humanity every time a read them.

Even Steam seems to be a cesspool of absolute cretins. I'm pretty sure the last thing I read on Steam discussions was a thread where people attacked the OP for asking perfectly valid questions, and then devolving into a massive dick-waving contest over how powerful their computers are.

I can't understand why some sites seem to be filled mostly with reasonable discussion and a few snarky comments, yet others are filled exclusively with idiots and CAPSLOCK.

FirstNameLastName:

erttheking:

I have somewhat of a compulsion to look at the comments under a Youtube video, and I have absolutely no idea why. I still maintain that there is more intelligent discussion on /b/ than there is on Youtube. They only ever make me lose faith in humanity every time a read them.

Even Steam seems to be a cesspool of absolute cretins. I'm pretty sure the last thing I read on Stead discussions was a thread where people attacked the OP for asking perfectly valid questions, and then devolving into a massive dick-waving contest over how powerful their computers are.

I can't understand why some sites seem to be filled mostly with reasonable discussion and a few snarky comments, yet others are filled exclusively with idiots and CAPSLOCK.

Probably because of the community that starts up there and builds around it. Also I heard someone say once that when an online community is established and time goes by, eventually a lot of people will move on and only the most hardcore extremists will be left...reminds me of the Halo Reach forum, fuck that place.

That and the bigger the community the more statistically likely it is for there to be a dick mule, who will attract other dick mules and drive the non-dick mules away or just make them be quiet to not have to deal with the fucking dick mules so the dick mules are the only ones who can make their voice heard.

Oh god, I can't stop laughing. You mean that people claiming to be feminists tried to tar and feather the guy whose works are most identifiable by two elements: constant banter and "a girl who kicks people's asses?"

Buffy, Faith, River, Echo, and many more just raised their eyebrows.

I wonder how long it takes for people around here to say voluntarily leaving Twitter means you're being censored. I give it a day,

*In a pirate voice* Arrrgh! The loyalties of the rabid left be a harsh and fickle mistress!

Pluvia:
I wonder how long it takes for people around here to say voluntarily leaving Twitter means you're being censored. I give it a day,

I'd call it sensible myself. There's nothing a company could do on Twitter that can't be just as easily accomplished with a a forums and RSS feed, and for just about everything else, Twitter is just one big toxic waste dump.

LRR had it right. #notontwitter

Pluvia:

I do wonder how long it will be before we have to discuss redefining 'Censorship' to keep up with the modern communications culture. I've started to think it's moved beyond 'the governmental powers that be taking away your voice or editing your content' (lay definition).

Never watched an avenger movie. Looking at how little skin is revealed for Black Widow I can't really understand though. As for weak characters, it's a superhero action flick -_-.

We live in a time where every emotion seemingly has to be followed by some sort of reaction, blah. Lol at those blaming it on progressives only, as if I don't read the exact same emotional drivel form the other side every day in the news.

Not on twitter myself either, nor do I ever look on facebook for that matter. Probably means I'm like 0.00001% of my agegroup or something, never felt like I missed much though.

Souther Thorn:

Pluvia:

I do wonder how long it will be before we have to discuss redefining 'Censorship' to keep up with the modern communications culture. I've started to think it's moved beyond 'the governmental powers that be taking away your voice or editing your content' (lay definition).

Even if you believed that, I doubt what you believe censorship to be would be aaaanywhere near voluntarily choosing to not say something on Twitter.

Personal responsibility is a thing that needs to be remembered. Blaming others for your actions, and accepting responsibility for your actions, those two things are important.

Souther Thorn:

Pluvia:

Censorship being purely governmental interference has never been its complete definition. The wikipedia definition is

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions.

Pluvia:

Souther Thorn:

Pluvia:

Even if you believed that, I doubt what you believe censorship to be would be aaaanywhere near voluntarily choosing to not say something on Twitter.

Personal responsibility is a thing that needs to be remembered. Blaming others for your actions, and accepting responsibility for your actions, those two things are important.

I will say I do believe that there will come a time we'll have to have that discussion, it might be (as seems to be your preference) short and very concise. I think it might be stickier in time. Personal responsibility is a VERY important thing and should be remembered, though I'd say that's a mutual matter, you can say all you'd like that you can't blame anyone else for your actions, but I think there are double standards all over that depending on public support and side of the political spectrum you come down on.

The Bucket:

Souther Thorn:

Pluvia:

Censorship being purely governmental interference has never been its complete definition. The wikipedia definition is

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions.

Good luck getting any of the groups and institutions involved in this conflict to admit that they ARE a group or institution. When there's a call to arms they're a group or a required public institution. When they're called on their actions they're individuals that are ONLY individuals with common goals.(and I'm keeping that neutral, there are no winners here, everyone is fucking horrible in that conflict)

Souther Thorn:
I will say I do believe that there will come a time we'll have to have that discussion, it might be (as seems to be your preference) short and very concise. I think it might be stickier in time. Personal responsibility is a VERY important thing and should be remembered, though I'd say that's a mutual matter, you can say all you'd like that you can't blame anyone else for your actions, but I think there are double standards all over that depending on public support and side of the political spectrum you come down on.

From what I've seen, some people mistake criticism or not voluntarily giving someone a platform as censorship, and believe what they say should go unchallenged. They also tend to think that voluntarily choosing to do something (without threat of violence of course) is somehow someone else's fault.

Until people can understand that criticism isn't censorship, that being able to speak doesn't mean others have to listen to you, and that choosing not to speak is your choice, then that discussion wont happen.

Good, on you Joss. You no longer have to deal with twitter and you learned that the people, especially of that certain persuasion are really fickle shits who will immediately forget everything you ever did and said if you manage to tick them off.

You didn't deserve to be shat on, but I hope you make the best of it.

rcs619:
Even in other movies, not a lot of truly super females. Even Gamora from Guardians is pretty much just a supremely-trained (slightly cybernetically-enhanced) elite soldier. She isn't *really* a superhero. Nowhere on the same league as the big names.

I was appalled at GotG Gamorra. She's supposed to be a better fighter than Captain America (One of the greatest martial artists in the entire universe, in fact), and she was trained as an assassin by Thanos himself. She could absolutely kill anyone in that movie aside from maybe Ronan. What we got was an ineffectual 'girly' character who was primarily there to be the love interest. I'm not familiar with new Guardians comics, is that what she's become?

Well, to be fair, Black Widow is kinda' useless. But that's not Joss's fault! That's the character herself. She is literally arm candy for whoever the audience is supposed to like the most in story is. Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye, and now Hulk. She is damn near literally passed between the Avengers like a joint.

And that's not Joss's fault! She's simply a product of the 60s. She's a Bond girl, just in Marvel.

Benpasko:

rcs619:
Even in other movies, not a lot of truly super females. Even Gamora from Guardians is pretty much just a supremely-trained (slightly cybernetically-enhanced) elite soldier. She isn't *really* a superhero. Nowhere on the same league as the big names.

I was appalled at GotG Gamorra. She's supposed to be a better fighter than Captain America (One of the greatest martial artists in the entire universe, in fact), and she was trained as an assassin by Thanos himself. She could absolutely kill anyone in that movie aside from maybe Ronan. What we got was an ineffectual 'girly' character who was primarily there to be the love interest. I'm not familiar with new Guardians comics, is that what she's become?

No.

And you have to remember that beyond invading Ronan's ship, there wasn't a lot of actual fighting in Guardians with regards to melee or even ranged personal combat.

The only three physical alteractions involving Gamorra are on Xandar, in which she was supposed to be clandestinely operating, the prison break at the Clench or whatever, and on Ronan's ship, in which she fought what I affectionately call the Putty Patrollers. Beyond that, there was no physical combat for exemplifying her abilities as above.

And remember, she's supposed to be a 'good' character for the audience, which meant making her sympathetic and curbing her homicidal tendencies.

Mazinger-Z:
No.

And you have to remember that beyond invading Ronan's ship, there wasn't a lot of actual fighting in Guardians with regards to melee or even ranged personal combat.

The only three physical alteractions involving Gamorra are on Xandar, in which she was supposed to be clandestinely operating, the prison break at the Clench or whatever, and on Ronan's ship, in which she fought what I affectionately call the Putty Patrollers. Beyond that, there was no physical combat for exemplifying her abilities as above.

And remember, she's supposed to be a 'good' character for the audience, which meant making her sympathetic and curbing her homicidal tendencies.

Well she was easily overpowered by quite pathetic looking prison mooks remember.

In hindsight that is quite disappointing for an assassin trained by Thanos.

Benpasko:

Yeah, Gamorra got pretty shafted in Guardians, and I'm not even familiar with the character. And it's not even her capabilities as a fighter, because the fight scenes she does get show that she can throw down well enough. The real problem is that she doesn't get a teaspoon's worth of the personality that the other members got. Like, she's supposed to have been trained as a living weapon, yet she spends most of her time being all concerned and worried about the safety of others. And then there's the scene in the jail where she acts like a frightened little rabbit, and all I'm thinking is 'Shouldn't these inmates be totally trivial to her considering what she is?'

I still really like this movie, but Gamorra just didn't work that well.

So a guy makes a really long popcorn movie with an ensemble cast and folks pitch a fit because he has two of the characters show some internalized pain to each other over the fact that they can't have normal lives. Since one of them was a woman and she was talking to the man she loves, clearly she's a helpless damsel in distress. By the way, Whedon hates trans people because he is aware of the basic physical differences between men and women.

I don't blame him for shutting down his twitter account. Maybe he's starting to realize that his quirky writing style has gotten him more than a few fans who are completely nuts? I can't say I like all his works, and I can't say I agree with many of his publicly stated opinions, but I do agree with him wanting to get out of the sewer that is twitter. It's seemingly designed for people to post their thoughts to the world without taking any time to consider how others might react. The 140 character limit also makes many of the tweets and responses I've seen posted in these forums look rather baffling. Hopefully he has the sense not to make another account.

L. Declis:
Is anyone surprised?

It's been like this for a few years. The SJW's turn on anyone who doesn't do exactly what they like, regardless of his past support, regardless of his experience and talent in the area which they do not possess, and they attack him. They always do.

But it's anti-feminists who are the arseholes.

Anyone who could rip on Joss Whedon for not being able to write strong female characters with interesting arcs clearly has NO idea what they are talking about. That is pretty much ALL Joss Whedon did in the nineties with Buffy.

The Bucket:

Johnny Novgorod:
I wish Movie Bob was still around just to see how the fuck he'd spin this one.

Fox12:

I'm confused, what aspect of her character is being criticized?

For what it's worth, this is from Matt Zoller Seitz's review of Ultron:

The film will do nothing to quell complaints that the superhero genre is sexist: Black Widow is involved in yet another relationship with a male Avenger and burdened with a tragic backstory equating motherhood with womanly fulfillment, and while Scarlet Witch has some pleasingly Carrie-like rampages, she isn't given enough to do.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/avengers-age-of-ultron-2015

He's given his opinion on Twitter
http://imgur.com/dGvmixB
Turns out all those accounts with thousands of tweets slamming Whedon are elaborately constructed GG channer sockpuppets, because at this point there is nothing you cant assuage your own doubts by blaming them with.

That man is as far deep into his own self-assuring delusion as the guy at the end of Brazil.

Lol. Joss tears Jurassic World a new one, accusing it of being sexist. Then he gets accused of sexism, and then transphobia. Hilarious.

L. Declis:
The SJW's turn on anyone who doesn't do exactly what they like, regardless of his past support, regardless of his experience and talent in the area which they do not possess, and they attack him. They always do.

Damn, do I? I better watch that. I wasn't aware I was turning on anybody at the moment[1].

KingsGambit:
It's probably an effort at keeping their unpopular, fading bullshit in the spotlight since intelligent, educated people no longer identify with it.

That's right. Intelligent, educated people form their opinions of movements spanning over 150 years, countless countries, and many millions of people based on Twitter spats.

[1] NB: Renly turned on me.

For all the people saying this is what you get for pandering to the SJWs, he more than likely says the things he dose because he actually believes it. Not because he is some poor man under the thumb of feminists/SJW overlords who have now turned on him or trying to pander to people.
There is also the fact that if he got no criticism for doing things that other people do get criticism for because he "sides" with the SJWs in other instances then that would be hypocritical.
Finally, using the most reactionary and stupidest of the extremist to represent the whole group is a bad thing no matter what side you are doing it to. 100 so called SJWs could praise or defend him but if 1 losses their shit over a misunderstanding the SJWs supposedly hate the person

As for this complaint specifically, I haven't seen the movie yet but either way while criticism (even I don't agree) is fine, attacking the artist like that isn't. Yes there are people who seem to be addicted to outrage and over analyse everything to the point where you can find problems in everything.

Johnny Novgorod:
I wish Movie Bob was still around just to see how the fuck he'd spin this one.

Fox12:

Zontar:
snip

I'm confused, what aspect of her character is being criticized?

For what it's worth, this is from Matt Zoller Seitz's review of Ultron:

The film will do nothing to quell complaints that the superhero genre is sexist: Black Widow is involved in yet another relationship with a male Avenger and burdened with a tragic backstory equating motherhood with womanly fulfillment, and while Scarlet Witch has some pleasingly Carrie-like rampages, she isn't given enough to do.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/avengers-age-of-ultron-2015

Sorry but what "yet another relationship" with a male Avenger are they talking about? That thing with Hawkeye? Seriously? He is a comrade in arms, they had zero relationship chemistry other than she cared about him as a friend. Are they really trying to play some romance card with her and him from the first movie?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked