Daredevils outfit

So i just finished watching Marvel's new Daredevil series and i was really impressed.
They manage to build a very believable and interesting world, mainly with how many Superhero-chlichees they manage to avoid, and this makes the series very good and enjoyable to watch.
That being said i am a bit afraid for the future, because i couldn't help but groan when they showed Daredevil in his actual Superhero-Outfit at the end of the series. I get their kindof bound to the comics here, but it just doesn't fit into the mature, believable world they build up to that point. It just looks silly. It looks pretty much exactly like the costume of Kick-Ass for gods sake and that one's not meant for a serious tv series.
So what do you think about daredevils outfit. Does it fit, doesn't it fit?

Amaror:
but it just doesn't fit into the mature, believable world they build up to that point.

How so? Up until that point, all he wore was a skull cap pulled down over his eyes. That's far more "silly" than his final costume. And, considering how badly he had been beaten until that point, not to mention cuts/stabs, wearing armor only makes sense.

Amaror:
So i just finished watching Marvel's new Daredevil series and i was really impressed.
They manage to build a very believable and interesting world, mainly with how many Superhero-chlichees they manage to avoid, and this makes the series very good and enjoyable to watch.
That being said i am a bit afraid for the future, because i couldn't help but groan when they showed Daredevil in his actual Superhero-Outfit at the end of the series. I get their kindof bound to the comics here, but it just doesn't fit into the mature, believable world they build up to that point. It just looks silly. It looks pretty much exactly like the costume of Kick-Ass for gods sake and that one's not meant for a serious tv series.
So what do you think about daredevils outfit. Does it fit, doesn't it fit?

Good thing Daredevil is blind so he won't know how he looks anyway

I think it fits fine in the "Devil of Hell's Kitchen" kind of way. Kind of like how Batman's outfit is, it is supposed to scare the piss out of criminals so they don't commit crimes, I'd be pretty freaked if I ran into him in a back alley

With Daredevil, I get the same vibe as Flash's outfit: it looks a bit silly, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Johnny Novgorod:
With Daredevil, I get the same vibe as Flash's outfit: it looks a bit silly, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I think it's the pattern of black and red on it, just doesn't seem to mesh as well as it should.

The design itself is good, just the way the colouring turned out seems to be the problem, in my opinion at least.

madwarper:

Amaror:
but it just doesn't fit into the mature, believable world they build up to that point.

How so? Up until that point, all he wore was a skull cap pulled down over his eyes. That's far more "silly" than his final costume. And, considering how badly he had been beaten until that point, not to mention cuts/stabs, wearing armor only makes sense.

It's not that he has a costume, it's how the costume looks. I can't tell exactly what bothers me about it, but it just looks really silly in my eyes. Don't ask me why but Batman's costume somehow managed to fit perfectly into the gritty dark world that they build in those movies, but Daredevils just doesn't really fit to me.
I don't really know.

The outfit did seem a little off, heres hopping they tweeak it and say that if was just unfinshed like was said at in the show. One thing to keep in mind though is that while the show is a darker more personal small scale world, it still takes place in the same universe as the movies and he has to not look out of place in his own show, or in an avngers movie a hard line to walk.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the design of the outfit either. I think it's because it's got too much black on it. It just throws off the design flow for me.

I mean I get why they give him the outfit.

1. He needs protection from injury

2. He wanted to created an image that would strike fear into the badguys. They even hinted at this in the dialogue in some of the episodes. So he gave them a Devil to fear.

So I personally don't have a problem with the concept of the suit, I just have a problem with this specific design of the suit. Though I have a feeling the suit will be modified over time, possibly between seasons. Using something along the lines of having the dude who makes the suits saying "Hey, so I've come up with some improvements for your suit, I think you will like them, they will keep you safer" and then a few episodes into season 2, they will whip out the new design, one that's had a little more time to be evaluated for asthetic purposes.

It seemed like it was still somewhat unfinished, I wouldn't be surprised if it was redesigned a little for the second season to match more closely with the more traditonal costume. I did really like however that the costume was introduced purely for practical purposes and its design did reflect that.

For me it was the helmet.

Good God the helmet is diabolical. The whole "hero jaw" thing, to me, is an important aspect of design and the way the neck doesn't quite cover everything makes it look silly. Plus the horns are snubbed at the end and to me it looks off.

Then again I really liked the Daredevil 2003 costume and most people hated that, so what do I know?

StarStruckStrumpets:

Then again I really liked the Daredevil 2003 costume and most people hated that, so what do I know?

I don't recall any of the criticisms of that movie being aimed at the costume... I really liked it too, it certainly looked way better than this new one.

Something about the mask (the Daredevil outfit, not the ninja mask/skullcap) seems a bit off, but otherwise, I think it's cool.

Looks a damn sight (tehee) better than will Smith as dead shot!

I prefer the Afleck daredevil, first time thats been said, only his suit though. This daredevil actor is very good, his suit is a little ... off though, like somebody else said, can't put my finger on it.

Was a good series ... little sped up though, he seemed take down an entire criminal consortium in a week.

Started off as nobody even saying Fisk's name and 3 or 4 episodes later he had taken down the Russians! Okay, Fisk took out the Russians but then the Chinese, Japanese and the accountant are swept up in a few episodes.

I got the impression this was daredevil starting out against this huge, deeply ingrained criminal coalition .... It would take seasons to finally get to Fisk, at which point Fisk would do what Bane did to batman and cripple him ... force doubt into daredevils mind, which he would obviously over come and be back better than ever, with a new, darker outlook.

Then and only then could daredevil take extra step and kill Fisk.

But no, wrapped up in a season!

I find the suit to look a little off as well. I think (for me anyway) the problem is that it makes him look a bit smushed, the mask/helmet part especially.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked