Which active forum member has been on the Escapist the longest?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

My fellow Escapists,

A question burns in my mind and it needs an answer, if only to satisfy my curiosity. As you can tell from my join date, I've been here quite a while, long enough that I don't remember how I got here. But, I know for a fact there are people who've been around longer than I have.

So, who is it? Who is the active forum member that is here the longest?

Since that question doesn't offer a lot of discussion value by itself, maybe us 'elders' could also have a chat about how the Escapist has evolved over all these years.

EDIT: some clarification, by active I mean a forum member who still posts, let's say, this year.

By that measure, 'blue heartless' is currently the most venerable one, with a join date in 2005.

Are you going by when they started visiting the site or when they created their account?

For me I was watching Unforgotten Realms at late 2008.

I saw someone post with a join date of 2005 once.

Lemme see if my searchbar-fu is good enough to find them.

Ah, here we go.

Username: "blue heartless".
Last post: 5 Feb 2016.
Last active: same.

I don't know them, but apparently this is the oldest account on the site. Username "Virgil". Apparently belongs to the person who wrote the forum code. Hasn't posted since 2014 but shows last activity as April 1st 2016, so someone must log in every now and again.

Damn, I know for a fact that The Escapist had a contest about this not even all that long ago (the top 10 oldest but active members received a free PubClub membership or something like that and even given my join date, I was not one of them so there are at least 10 people here longer than me...).

Given the recent civil unrest here, I don't know how current that information would be and I can't find the contest in the search engine so I shall now claim the crown until someone takes it from me! All hail tippy2k2, your new supreme overlord! As my first act, I demand that everyone hunt down anyone older than I am and take them out before they can post in here. Long live tippy2k2!

Probably tangentially related at best, but the user who created the "Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of" thread was my best friend in university and I only joined the Escapist a year and a half ago so it was a pleasant surprise. He's doing well from what I've heard, and he was last active a couple of weeks ago apparently.

Dizchu:
Probably tangentially related at best, but the user who created the "Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of" thread was my best friend in university and I only joined the Escapist a year and a half ago so it was a pleasant surprise. He's doing well from what I've heard, and he was last active a couple of weeks ago apparently.

Oh, DrunkOnEstus? I think he settled down and is raising a daughter named after a space alien. Nice fellow!

EDIT: ...Oh. No, actually, that was troyrich. My brain's not cutting the mustard today. I have no idea who that person is.

OT: When you say "active", do you mean posting in the forums? I think that'd probably be someone like Vigormortis. Otherwise someone like Virgil'd probably be the one.

Zhukov:

Ah, here we go.

Beat me to it. I think Blue is the most visible of the ancient ones.

I see the old members have been summoned to wreak unholy retribution upon the masses

Pls no scar me, I'm too pretty for scars c:

In this short list of posters here Tippy2K is early 2008 so that would be one person...
There are old members who don't post so often, but Tippy is very active and very old (sorry about that :P)
Most people I seem to remember as "ancient ones" aren't actually that ancient, more in my own timeline of 2008-2010

Why are there so many summer 2009 accounts?!

I'd be older than all of you if I didn't hesitate and just made an account in the spring...

I certainly can't claim a 2005 join date, but I like to think I'm in the running.

SomethingAmyss and Tippy2k2 are probably among the oldest, if not the oldest, users who post often and well enough to be memorable.

Looks like the oldest person to show up here is Sylocat from 2007, though. Anyone older want to poke their head in and post?

tippy2k2:
As my first act, I demand that everyone hunt down anyone older than I am and take them out before they can post in here. Long live tippy2k2!

Does that mean I should hunt you down to lay a similar claim?

Alternatively, are you looking for anything in the way of a henchwoman? It's kind of like the protection racket: I don't care who I'm henching, as long as I keep busy.

All these whippersnappers posting here >.>

Too bad I lurked here for a while, yeah?

Not being recognizable is probably a good thing, though that is getting harder and harder with the userbase shrinking.

I don't post as often as I used to but I still pitch in every now and then if something catches my interest.

tippy2k2:
Damn, I know for a fact that The Escapist had a contest about this not even all that long ago (the top 10 oldest but active members received a free PubClub membership or something like that and even given my join date, I was not one of them so there are at least 10 people here longer than me...)

Wait what? Is that why I am suddenly a member of the Publisher's Club? I was curious about that.
My join date is slightly later than yours though; maybe you weren't active enough to qualify?

s0denone:

tippy2k2:
Damn, I know for a fact that The Escapist had a contest about this not even all that long ago (the top 10 oldest but active members received a free PubClub membership or something like that and even given my join date, I was not one of them so there are at least 10 people here longer than me...)

Wait what? Is that why I am suddenly a member of the Publisher's Club? I was curious about that.
My join date is slightly later than yours though; maybe you weren't active enough to qualify?

No, everyone is a club member now. There were tech team layoffs. Some funny things happened.

AccursedTheory:
No, everyone is a club member now. There were tech team layoffs. Some funny things happened.

Now I looked through a couple of profiles as a result of your response... And uh, it does indeed seem like everyone is a member of the publisher club now. I never recieved the badge, though - I lost my avatar however, the legendary laughing cow, which is a negative.

But as it was apparently deleted purely by chance, it can be reinstated. Glorious.

That's a lot of replies on the same day already. How much time do you guys spend lurking?

Would be fun to see just how many joined in the '09 boom.

At least I'm the oldest of the '09's in this thread..yay ,)

*EDIT* Darn dang-nabbit Veloper... ^^

Something Amyss:

tippy2k2:
As my first act, I demand that everyone hunt down anyone older than I am and take them out before they can post in here. Long live tippy2k2!

Does that mean I should hunt you down to lay a similar claim?

Alternatively, are you looking for anything in the way of a henchwoman? It's kind of like the protection racket: I don't care who I'm henching, as long as I keep busy.

Much like the Sith, there can be a master and an apprentice

As for hench openings, we here at 2K2Corp expect Bond level henchmen and henchwomen; competent enough to catch the bad guy but not competent enough to finish the job. We do have sequels to consider here...

I remember Mythrandia, silent for 9 years then logging on, posting insane word salad posts, then getting banned.
He had the oldest user name I can remember;
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Mythrandia

I'm not super old, or super active. I lurked for years before making an account. Not even sure why I joined, but I'm an active lurker. First time I ever heard of The Escapist was back when Nyhm made the Just Loot It video. Then Zero Punctuation got me showing up regularly. Good times.

I'm one of those "not super old but pretty old" ones. Activity is relative. I check the escapist atleast once a day. Just don't post often.

tippy2k2:

Much like the Sith, there can be a master and an apprentice

As for hench openings, we here at 2K2Corp expect Bond level henchmen and henchwomen; competent enough to catch the bad guy but not competent enough to finish the job. We do have sequels to consider here...

Well, my subordinates--a pack of highly-trained goats--descended upon Pure Chaos. Critics found the attempt exciting and plausible, yet the encounter was not fatal.

I would have said [insert tech team user here], but...

Other than that, it can't be me because I honestly didn't know this site even had a forum until 2012...

Been here for quite a while, started lurking in '08 (shortly after Zero Punctuation became huge) before finally making an account in '09. Alternated between being active and lurking again, though I've been quite active lately, overall.

No clue who the oldest, but also still active, member is. Looks like that Sylocat bugger might hold the position. *squints* Though I don't think I remember actually seeing him around that much.

Chimpzy:
Since that question doesn't offer a lot of discussion value by itself, maybe us 'elders' could also have a chat about how the Escapist has evolved over all these years.

Oh boy, not sure I want to open up this particular can of worms. Because those worms have mostly been replaced by bitterness. And though most people probably wont be on my level of discontent, I can't imagine many people are happy with how things have developed, particularly in the last 2 years or so.

Oldest I've seen is Kross (joined september 2004), who as a matter of fact is online right now.

Redlin5:

Zhukov:

Ah, here we go.

Beat me to it. I think Blue is the most visible of the ancient ones.

Of all the active people I have seen on here, I would says you are the longest active member on here and that is something not taken lightly.

I have seen other memorable members like Daystar and Jack and Calumon who have recognise traits or gimmick and no matter how memorable they are, they simply stop posting one day and have never return. Wheather they just simply moved on or simply dob't give a danm about the site anymore is leave to the beholder.

What I'm saying is kudos to you for continue posting on here when others has seen long been gone in my eyes.

PsychicTaco115:
I see the old members have been summoned to wreak unholy retribution upon the masses

Yes, now that us Great Old Ones have gathered, we may lay waste to all of existence.

Randomosity:
Then Zero Punctuation got me showing up regularly. Good times.

Yeah, for me it was also Zero Punctuation that got me frequenting this site regularly back in summer 2008.

Johnny Novgorod:
Oldest I've seen is Kross (joined september 2004), who as a matter of fact is online right now.

Hmm, I kind of feel like staff members would be cheating a little, but I suppose it still counts.

We have a new Grand Elder and his name is Kross!

That said, I'm kind of surprised so many of the old guard are still around. Then again, I don't really pay all that much attention to it otherwise.

veloper:
That's a lot of replies on the same day already. How much time do you guys spend lurking?

I guess we just like to watch... In a totally normal way...

edit: what happened to my picture?????

Scarim Coral:

I have seen other memorable members like Daystar and Jack and Calumon who have recognise traits or gimmick and no matter how memorable they are, they simply stop posting one day and have never return. Wheather they just simply moved on or simply dob't give a danm about the site anymore is leave to the beholder.

For Daystarat least, I can tell you that they still post, though almost exclusively in a forum game/role playing thread thing, and the reason they stopped being the first poster on every off topic thread was because of disgust at the site and that "door of a fence" related incident (look at their most recent post to see what I mean...) I know this because I got nostalgic about them, and so looked them up, which is totally not creepy at all.

I went to the escapist before my join date for like a year (for Yahtzee, shock horror), joined with facebook, did nothing with the account for 2 years, and then began posting a bit. I'm not an oldie exactly, but I've been coming here since I was like 14 or 15, and my join date shows this to me and constantly surprises me by how long it's been

2008 here, but I've seen older than me. I'm much less frequent than normal tho since the community and moderation team aren't as welcoming as it used to be. I was a regular before I signed up, but didn't use the forums for a while. Eventually stopped lurking and signed up. It's been an interesting few years :)

<===!!

Not me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked