A heartfelt Congratulations to Grey and Cory!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Well, I haven't seen a thread about this but I think we should go ahead and congratulate Great Carter and Corey Rydell. THeir comic, that is also hosted here in The Escapist, Erin Dies ALone has been nominated for th 2016 Hugo Awards! ( http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2016-hugo-awards/ )

There has been a lot of controversy in hte past years sorrounding this awards. But it still is aweosme for them and thye have been doing a stellar job with comedy and story on theri webcomic. SO I have to say, kudos and keep the good work!

That's awesome news to hear! The comic deserves all of the commendations it gets!

Competing in the same space as Neil Gaiman has to be a feat in of itself.

Sort of off-topic, but did anyone else catch this in the "Best Related Work" section:

SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police by Vox Day

Hilarious.

Erin Dies Alone won't win, it's on the Rabid Puppies slate so the powers that be that control the Hugos will not allow it to win, and will probably just give the Best Graphic Story category 'No Award', along with most other categories. That's also assuming the Rabid Puppies don't also turn around and vote 'No Award' for everything as well, which is quite possible given the number of troll nominations that are in the finals along with a stated goal to burn down the Hugos. Though who knows, maybe enough people will vote for 'Space Raptor Butt Invasion' to make it the final Hugo award ever given out.

Yeaaaah but they got put in by a puppy slate I heard. And Grey, on his twitter, seemed not so happy about that.

Secondhand Revenant:
Yeaaaah but they got put in by a puppy slate I heard. And Grey, on his twitter, seemed not so happy about that.

Yeah, apparently he's not dropping out because he wants the publicity. I can't blame him, and I'm glad to see him freely admit that without sugarcoating it.

Fappy:

Secondhand Revenant:

Yeah, apparently he's not dropping out because he wants the publicity. I can't blame him, and I'm glad to see him freely admit that without sugarcoating it.

I don't blame him either. Publicity drops on your head, might as well keep it. Make the best of an awkward situation

Fappy:

Sort of off-topic, but did anyone else catch this in the "Best Related Work" section:

SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police by Vox Day

Hilarious.

From the 'book' itself:

'Vox Day is one sick puppy.' - Dr. P.Z. Myers, PhD

'Vox Day is a fascist mega-dickbag and less a human being than one long sequence of junk DNA.' - Dr. Phil Sandifer, PhD

'Vox Day is a real bigoted shithole of a human being.' - John Scalzi, SF author

What... what is this?

Oh, wow, that's nuts. Honestly, I've been wanting to see more webcomics on there. That's where all the interesting work is being done.

Secondhand Revenant:

With the Escapist as it is, and with their Patreon only achieving moderate success, I can't blame them for running with it.

It's a fucking shame they're abusing his and Cory's art for politics.

Erin Dies Alone deserves to win. Both of them are really really talented.

Fappy:

Secondhand Revenant:

Somebody should break it to him that the notion that all publicity is good publicity is, in fact, not true, particularly in the age of the internet.

Off-topic but I assume people hear about their plans for a game as well? And that somebody else might be taking over Critical Miss?

MarsAtlas:

Off-topic but I assume people hear about their plans for a game as well? And that somebody else might be taking over Critical Miss?

I hadn't heard, but wouldn't be surprised. They seem to be somewhat idling with "Critical Miss" since they really got into "Erin Dies Alone". I really like CM though. Both actually, but I like wackiness of CM more though.

I have to guiltily admit though it will be a bit of schadenfreude if the Social Justice Shinobis decide to snub them because they were nominated by the wrong-thinkers.

MarsAtlas:
And that somebody else might be taking over Critical Miss?

Where did you hear that?

MarsAtlas:

Fappy:

Secondhand Revenant:

Somebody should break it to him that the notion that all publicity is good publicity is, in fact, not true, particularly in the age of the internet.

He said there's a lot of opportunity by just being nominated, like the chance for more critical reviews of his work so he can improve. He seems pretty sure he's going to lose given how he's up against Neil Gaiman.

Actually if you check today's CM, it's by someone other than Cory (Henry Huang actually). I assume Grey will still be the writer while Cory is doing EDA since apparently their patreon announced they want to make a book out of the first two arcs of the comic and we're in the middle of the second. Not sure if Huang will stick for however long Cory is out but seems like Greg is still asking around and apparently this whole deal is for about two months.

AccursedTheory:
[

From the 'book' itself:

'Vox Day is one sick puppy.' - Dr. P.Z. Myers, PhD

'Vox Day is a fascist mega-dickbag and less a human being than one long sequence of junk DNA.' - Dr. Phil Sandifer, PhD

'Vox Day is a real bigoted shithole of a human being.' - John Scalzi, SF author

What... what is this?

The truth?

Secondhand Revenant:

I don't blame him either. Publicity drops on your head, might as well keep it. Make the best of an awkward situation

Whole lot of authors declined their nominations last year because of it. I think Reynolds also asked to be removed from the Puppy Slates this year.

Though it's good Chuck Tingle is finally getting some greater recognition.

Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt was a classic in wtf erotic fiction. Space Raptor Butt Invasion is surely deserving nomination.

Skatologist:

The truth?

That bad, eh? Guess I made the right choice in not reading further then that.

Yeeeaaah...

Let me just quote Grey's Twitter on this matter. Might lend some perspective to this situation:

(I don't know how to do that fancy thing where you insert tweets like you would a Youtube video. I'm just going to copy-paste. If anyone doubts me and wishes to confirm it for themselves his twitter is GreyTheTick. You'll have to scroll down a bit.)

"Okay. So for a moment my heart was fucking soaring, but it looks like we've been nominated by the Rapid Puppies ballot. Presumably because we're attached to the Escapist, which some people seem to think is an alt-right site."

"Gonna be honest, boys. This one hurts. Like I don't have any delusions about deserving to be on that list, but now I can't even joke about being a Hugo nominee."

"It'll come as no surprise that I think the puppies are idiots and that Beale is a vile, pulsating cunt.
And while I'd like to think at least some people nominated EDA because they genuinely like it, I'm not going to tolerate people using my work as ammunition in this embarrassing, elongated tantrum of a "culture war."
I'm still taking that fucking trophy if we win tho. Lol.

"On that note, we won't be withdrawing from the award, but we won't be winning either because we're competing with Neil Fucking Gaiman.
Yeah the circumstances surrounding our nomination are shitty, but it's a chance at promotion that we can't afford to turn down."

I'm not sure "congratulation" is quite the right response. Although I'm sure Grey would appreciate the intention.

Zhukov:
Yeeeaaah...

Let me just quote Grey's Twitter on this matter. Might lend some perspective to this situation:

(I don't know how to do that fancy thing where you insert tweets like you would a Youtube video. I'm just going to copy-paste. If anyone wishes to confirm it for themselves his twitter is GreyTheTick. You'll have to scroll down a bit.)

"Okay. So for a moment my heart was fucking soaring, but it looks like we've been nominated by the Rapid Puppies ballot. Presumably because we're attached to the Escapist, which some people seem to think is an alt-right site."

"Gonna be honest, boys. This one hurts. Like I don't have any delusions about deserving to be on that list, but now I can't even joke about being a Hugo nominee. It'll come as no surprise that I think the puppies are idiots and that Beale is a vile, pulsating cunt.
And while I'd like to think at least some people nominated EDA because they genuinely like it, I'm not going to tolerate people using my work as ammunition in this embarrassing, elongated tantrum of a "culture war."
I'm still taking that fucking trophy if we win tho. Lol.

"On that note, we won't be withdrawing from the award, but we won't be winning either because we're competing with Neil Fucking Gaiman.
Yeah the circumstances surrounding our nomination are shitty, but it's a chance at promotion that we can't afford to turn down."

I'm not sure "congratulation" is quite the right response. Although I'm sure he'd appreciate the intention.

That really sucks to be used by someone to push their political agenda, especially the agenda of Vox Day.

kris40k:
I hadn't heard, but wouldn't be surprised. They seem to be somewhat idling with "Critical Miss" since they really got into "Erin Dies Alone". I really like CM though. Both actually, but I like wackiness of CM more though.

I think Grey will still be writing CM, Cory just won't be drawing it anymore. That could be untrue though.

I have to guiltily admit though it will be a bit of schadenfreude if the Social Justice Shinobis decide to snub them because they were nominated by the wrong-thinkers.

Nah, they'll get snubbed because there's better work in there.

... sorry, but its true. Erin Dies Alone is really good but they are up against better stuff. That said it is a good comic and I think more people will take away its value rather than just thinking it crap because it was nominated for the wrong reasons.

Fappy:

MarsAtlas:

Where did you hear that?

Grey's Twitter account. It implied that at the very least Cory would stop drawing it. Grey may stop writing it too but I'm less sure about that.

Secondhand Revenant:

TBH, I'd be actively telling my followers to not vote for me at that point.

Fappy:

MarsAtlas:

Where did you hear that?

Grey made a couple of announcements on Twitter Tuesday (That is, Tuesday on Twitter, not some event). They're doing a video game, and Corey is not doing CM. He said he hoped this was temporary, meaning it's up in the air as to whether it's not. Or Grey knows and isn't saying.

Fappy:

MarsAtlas:

Where did you hear that?

From their Patreon. But they didn't say "taking over"; instead it was having a "guest artist".

Secondhand Revenant:

I was afraid of that :/
I hope this time the Hugo Awards go better than last year.

Good luck for them.

But this is what happens when you throw a tantrum over nonsense. It gave the rabid puppies all the exposure and ideas they need. Correia said it best in a single short post:

This is going to be brief because I retired from the Sad Puppies campaign last year.

All I can really say to the CHORFs is that they had a chance to deal with people like me or Brad, but instead they decided to be a bunch of pricks and hand out wooden assholes while block voting No Award. In the process they insulted disgruntled fans, and proved that they were a bunch of cliquish elitists just like I'd said they were to begin with.

That's how you end up with Space Raptor Butt Invasion. Have fun with that.

MarsAtlas:

Nah, they'll get snubbed because there's better work in there.

... sorry, but its true. Erin Dies Alone is really good but they are up against better stuff. That said it is a good comic and I think more people will take away its value rather than just thinking it crap because it was nominated for the wrong reasons.

That is true, they are again the likes of Neil Gaiman's work with The Sandman

Anyone else notice Full Frontal Nerdity is on there? Aren't they still an Escapist featured comic?

crimson5pheonix:

This is going to be brief because I retired from the Sad Puppies campaign last year.

All I can really say to the CHORFs is that they had a chance to deal with people like me or Brad, but instead they decided to be a bunch of pricks and hand out wooden assholes while block voting No Award. In the process they insulted disgruntled fans, and proved that they were a bunch of cliquish elitists just like I?d said they were to begin with.

That?s how you end up with Space Raptor Butt Invasion. Have fun with that.

I'm going to start of by saying those people you're talking about are not blameless. They acted Petty and childish but you're not blameless. You helped make this monster, you help drag people into this who didn't want to be a part of your political pissing, you nominated shit that didn't deserve to be on there (I still remembered The Zombie Nation), and when your creation was taken over by Vox and turned into a political shit show all you have to say, "It's your fault and you deserve it." yes all those creators who either pushed out of being nominated or being forced into a mouthpiece for Vox, they totally deserved it. You had a point of the Hugos being politically biased but at the end of the day you showed what it was really about for you. It was about sticking to the people you think wronged you and not getting your god damn piece of metal shit. You couldn't have the house and decided to burn it then you had the gall to blame the people who wanted to live there it was their fault. Fuck off Correia and take your shitty books with you.

I'm sorry I got a little bit angry but God damn

ps. sorry for poor spelling

Why is everyone hating on puppies all of a sudden? What did they ever do to you?!
Seriously though, what does the word mean in this context?

tf2godz:

crimson5pheonix:

All I can really say to the CHORFs is that they had a chance to deal with people like me or Brad, but instead they decided to be a bunch of pricks and hand out wooden assholes while block voting No Award. In the process they insulted disgruntled fans, and proved that they were a bunch of cliquish elitists just like I?d said they were to begin with.

That?s how you end up with Space Raptor Butt Invasion. Have fun with that.

I?m the start of by saying those people you?re talking about are not blameless. They acted Petty and childish but you?re not blameless. You helped make this monster, you help drag people into this who didn?t want to be a part of your political pissing, you nominated shit that didn?t deserve to be on there (I still remembered The Zombie Nation), and when your creation was taken over by Vox and turned into a political shit show all you have to say, ?It?s your fault and you deserve it.? yes all those creators who either pushed out of being nominated or being forced into a mouthpiece for Vox, they totally deserved it. You had a point of the Hugos being politically biased but at the end of the day you showed what it was really about for you. It was about sticking to the people you think wronged you and not getting your god damn piece of metal shit. You couldn?t have the house and decided to burn it then you had the gall to blame the people who wanted to live there it was their fault. Fuck off Correia and take your shitty books with you.

As a point of fact, Correia didn't burn down the house, the people he pointed out as being overly cliquish did.

Neverhoodian:
Why is everyone hating on puppies all of a sudden? What did they ever do to you?!

The Sad Puppies are a group who are protesting against a perceived left-wing bias in the Hugos by block voting for certain authors who aren't expressly "progressive." The rabid puppies are similar, but with a dose of obnoxious alt-right whining thrown in for good measure. Both movements were started by spurned authors trying to secure themselves nominations.

crimson5pheonix:

tf2godz:

crimson5pheonix:

I'm going to start of by saying those people you're talking about are not blameless. They acted Petty and childish but you're not blameless. You helped make this monster, you help drag people into this who didn't want to be a part of your political pissing, you nominated shit that didn't deserve to be on there (I still remembered The Zombie Nation), and when your creation was taken over by Vox and turned into a political shit show all you have to say, "It's your fault and you deserve it." yes all those creators who either pushed out of being nominated or being forced into a mouthpiece for Vox, they totally deserved it. You had a point of the Hugos being politically biased but at the end of the day you showed what it was really about for you. It was about sticking to the people you think wronged you and not getting your god damn piece of metal shit. You couldn't have the house and decided to burn it then you had the gall to blame the people who wanted to live there it was their fault. Fuck off Correia and take your shitty books with you.

As a point of fact, Correia didn't burn down the house, the people he pointed out as being overly cliquish did.

don't think for a second they're getting off the hook. They were being complete sore losers and helps burn down that house maybe even more than him, but my point was Correia has no room to talk either. He fucked over so many creators and help gain Vox their power and he has the gall to play innocent or even refuse to take responsibility of the rabbit puppies is fucking cowardly.

tf2godz:

crimson5pheonix:

tf2godz:

I?m going to start of by saying those people you?re talking about are not blameless. They acted Petty and childish but you?re not blameless. You helped make this monster, you help drag people into this who didn?t want to be a part of your political pissing, you nominated shit that didn?t deserve to be on there (I still remembered The Zombie Nation), and when your creation was taken over by Vox and turned into a political shit show all you have to say, ?It?s your fault and you deserve it.? yes all those creators who either pushed out of being nominated or being forced into a mouthpiece for Vox, they totally deserved it. You had a point of the Hugos being politically biased but at the end of the day you showed what it was really about for you. It was about sticking to the people you think wronged you and not getting your god damn piece of metal shit. You couldn?t have the house and decided to burn it then you had the gall to blame the people who wanted to live there it was their fault. Fuck off Correia and take your shitty books with you.

don't think for a second they're getting off the hook. They were being complete sore losers and helps burn down that house maybe even more than him, but my point was Correia has no room to talk either. He fucked over so many creators and help gain Vox their power and he has the gall to play innocent or even refuse to take responsibility of the rabbit puppies is fucking cowardly.

Why take responsibility for a loon doing his own thing? Correia tried to play a fair game and keep away from Vox's group. He was the one that WASN'T happy with the awards burning.

Congratulations on winning an award for a comic that is soon to be defunct along with this site. Two more days right?

CaitSeith:

Secondhand Revenant:

I was afraid of that :/
I hope this time the Hugo Awards go better than last year.

Take a look at some of the nominees. Got better in some areas, got worse in others. Vox Day got his own work "SJWs Always Lie" nominated, for example.

kris40k:
Anyone else notice Full Frontal Nerdity is on there? Aren't they still an Escapist featured comic?

Nope. Stopped back when everybody else was getting axed. They weren't too popular around here.

Neverhoodian:

They're more or less trying to fix the Hugo Awards in a weird sort of way. There's basically two rounds - nominations and awards voting. The public votes on nominations and the committee votes on what works were nominated to win the award. Slates aren't anything new but last year when we got the "Sad Puppies", which is essentially a nomination slate for works by conservative authors to combat what the Sad Puppies perceived as a liberal bias in the process. Argue for or against that point all you like they were quality works and weren't necessarily unworthy of nomination. There was an affirmative action sort of "didn't really earn that" stigma around the works there and some authors were actually upset because they felt that they were getting for because of their political beliefs rather than the quality of the work. That alone was a bit of an issue but the awards had seen stuff like that before and survived just fine. Unfortunately, the Hugo Awards nomination process also got the Rabid Puppies, who basically just wanted to ruin the entire process by bombing the voting with slates filled with abject terribleness. They're led by Vox Day, who, in terms of personality and misdeeds, is basically the Donald Trump of science fiction literature. He is just terrible. Awful. He's the only writer to have ever been kicked out of The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America which is kind of like getting kicked out of 4chan in the way that you fucked up real good for that to happen to you.

Abyssal Dancer:
Congratulations on winning an award for a comic that is soon to be defunct along with this site. Two more days right?

Actually they personally own EDA and have its own website. They actually list the website its hosted on independently instead of The Escapist on the list linked in the OP.

The Wooster:

Neverhoodian:

The Rabid Puppies are a group who are protesting against a perceived left-wing bias in the Hugos by block voting for certain authors who aren't expressly "progressive." The rabid puppies are similar, but with a dose of obnoxious alt-right whining thrown in for good measure. Both movements were started by spurned authors trying to secure themselves nominations.

Fixed. An easy type to make, I just don't want Neverhoodian confused.

crimson5pheonix:

tf2godz:

crimson5pheonix:

Why take responsibility for a loon doing his own thing? Correia tried to play a fair game and keep away from Vox's group. He was the one that WASN'T happy with the awards burning.

well that actually interesting to know? Okay my bad on that kind of feel like an idiot

tf2godz:

crimson5pheonix:

tf2godz:

well that actually interesting to know? Okay my bad on that kind of feel like an idiot

I say stay away, he did interact with Beale somewhat. He spent the summer before the vote telling Beale to not crash the awards with "No Award"s.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked