Senpai may be added to the English dictionary

Pages PREV 1 2

I am still enjoying that "literally" is now the antonym of itself. I can't wait for someone to make "no" and "yes" mean the same thing.

inu-kun:
Well that happens, but why Hayao Miyazaki quote? The guy is an elitist snob who is WAY overrated.

Overrated? You know, you might as well have come out and say "He's popular but my opinion doesn't match up with the majority opinion" instead of acting like there's something wrong with the people who do like him. Because that's what overrated means. It's basically you saying "the majority opinion is wrong." And as someone who doesn't think he's overrated, IE someone who you just said was wrong, I take issue with that.

And how is he an elitist snob? Because he dared to criticize anime and not like the overall direction it's going in? Not seeing it.

erttheking:

inu-kun:
Well that happens, but why Hayao Miyazaki quote? The guy is an elitist snob who is WAY overrated.

Overrated? You know, you might as well have come out and say "He's popular but my opinion doesn't match up with the majority opinion" instead of acting like there's something wrong with the people who do like him. Because that's what overrated means. It's basically you saying "the majority opinion is wrong." And as someone who doesn't think he's overrated, IE someone who you just said was wrong, I take issue with that.

And how is he an elitist snob? Because he dared to criticize anime and not like the overall direction it's going in? Not seeing it.

inu-kun:

I can't tell whether the both of you actually think that quote is real or not. It's not, its a troll quote that came around after Miyazaki did an interview criticizing the current industry. Not anywhere near that broad or harshly though, mostly he just talked about the industry creating characters without seeming to know how real people act.

If you see any quotes about Miyazaki saying he hates otaku or that anime is trash or a mistake, then its a fake quote generally used to try and piss off anime fans.

For god's sake, this exact image is on the Know Your Meme page, and that page is the first result when searching the quote.

EternallyBored:
Snip

Truth be told I was thinking more about the criticism he made about the industry being obsessed with sexualizing young girls, but I did not know the quote was a fake. Thanks!

erttheking:

EternallyBored:
Snip

Truth be told I was thinking more about the criticism he made about the industry being obsessed with sexualizing young girls, but I did not know the quote was a fake. Thanks!

Don't think I've seen that one, if you've got a link I would like to see it, the one that inspired images like in the OP was this:

"You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, 'Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don't spend time watching real people, you can't do this, because you've never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It's produced by humans who can't stand looking at other humans. And that's why the industry is full of otaku!."

I can see why people would disagree with him, but the quote is so much more eloquent and well thought out than the "anime was a mistake" pictures make it seem.

EternallyBored:

erttheking:

EternallyBored:
Snip

Don't think I've seen that one, if you've got a link I would like to see it, the one that inspired images like in the OP was this:

"You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ?Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don?t spend time watching real people, you can?t do this, because you?ve never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It?s produced by humans who can?t stand looking at other humans. And that?s why the industry is full of otaku!."

I can see why people would disagree with him, but the quote is so much more eloquent and well thought out than the "anime was a mistake" pictures make it seem.

I only saw it in passing as a gif set, he was making tea in his house I think, and for the life of me I can't find it again.

In other words, people didn't like what he said and drastically oversimplified it into a strawman. *Sigh* Never change internet...

EDIT: Annnnnnnnnnd it turns out what I saw was a fake too.

Jesus Christ internet.

English is a mutt. Nothing wrong with getting a little Japanese in there, I suppose.

EternallyBored:

I can't tell whether the both of you actually think that quote is real or not. It's not, its a troll quote that came around after Miyazaki did an interview criticizing the current industry. Not anywhere near that broad or harshly though, mostly he just talked about the industry creating characters without seeming to know how real people act.

If you see any quotes about Miyazaki saying he hates otaku or that anime is trash or a mistake, then its a fake quote generally used to try and piss off anime fans.

For god's sake, this exact image is on the Know Your Meme page, and that page is the first result when searching the quote.

Well even without the quote, from snippets if interviews he seems to dislike modern anime culture.

erttheking:

inu-kun:

Yeah he is overrated, he is not a bad creator by any means but the amount of praise he gets is undeserved, especially as more profilic makers don't get any of it. His films are pretty but in most cases that's about it, the characters aren't realy deep and the messages are infantile.

He is an elitist because of stuff like this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131872-Hayao-Miyazaki-Anime-Suffers-Because-the-Industry-is-Full-of-Otaku

inu-kun:
Snip

There really isn't much value in the word "overrated". Because, as you said, the praise he gets is undeserved? So you're saying that the people who praise him are wrong basically. That's why I frown when people say something is overrated. They want to say that the majority opinion is wrong because their opinion doesn't line up with it. It's for when people can't just say "Well I disagree with them," they have to flat out say "Everyone who disagrees with me is wrong." Well if the messages of his movies are infantile then it says a lot of bad things about the world, since so many people apparently struggle with accepting those infantile messages.

...That's it? Criticizing trends in the industry makes him an elitist? Him saying that people in the industry don't pay attention to the real world around them makes him an elitist? What is the elite class that he is advocating for? Man if that's all it takes to be an elitist, half of the human race are elitists. Also I think he's right and that anime today is kind of stuck in a fantasy world heavily divorced from the way people act in reality. Am I an elitist?

This is odd. I mean, I know english has absorbed or adapted alot of things into it in the past, but the actual foreign words that mean something already in the english language does seem to be pushing it a little.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked