Do you like anime? Write for The Escapist!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

The Escapist is looking for a team of five (5) anime fans within our community to review the latest titles to hit North American shores. If you're interested in applying for the position, here's what you need to do to make your case:

We're looking for two review samples - choose any of the following anime titles to review:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Spirited Away
Fullmetal Alchemist

Send us a long review (750 words), and a short review (200 words) - you can review the same anime for both, or choose to do a different one for each. Knowledge of the subject matter is as important as writing ability, so please only apply if you're fairly well-familiar with anime - we're looking for experts. Also keep in mind that you will be expected to meet assigned deadlines.

Please write the review samples in the word processing app of your choice - Microsoft Word preferred. Send them as attachments to john(at)escapistmag(dot)com . Be sure to include your Escapist forum username and real name in the body of the email, and the email subject must contain "Anime Review Position." Applications must be submitted no later than 6:00 PM EST on Friday, March 20th, 2009.

This is an unpaid position - all of the anime will be provided for free, and is yours to keep! Review assignments will be decided at The Escapist's discretion.

Due to format differences, this position is open to North America residents only. You must be 18 or older to apply.

If you have any questions about the position or the application, ask them here, or PM CantFaketheFunk.

Sounds awesome free an......wait, North Americans only.....

I'll just start typing my re.......north american only....<cry>

I would be all over this if it weren't for my Ireland based-ness and complete lack of confidence in my writing skills.

What they said :-(

So far, only non Americans have took notice... Pattern?

I am most assuredly submitting for this, I'm glad I have so much time for now.

Bah, I feel cheated. Oh well I question my ability to review anyway, but I won't know unless I try. For free anime I would have given my greatest review...

What most of the people behind me said... Darn it...

Apologies to all our non-NA based community members. :(

CantFaketheFunk:

Due to format differences, this position is open to North America residents only.

All my dreams are dead. Sucks ass to be an european on the internet.

Whilst I would like to write a review of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I don't believe I could stomach watching a new anime that often (I've only ever liked a few select ones like Evangelion or Death Note)

Oh yeah, and I'm from Australia.

My Australian Brethren and I will have our revenge as will our European Comrades!

CantFaketheFunk:

Due to format differences, this position is open to North America residents only.

...Fuck... Seriously... I love you guys, but fuck... This was sooooo mine... Goddamnit... Cowboy Bebop, NGE and Spirited Away are some of my favorites ever...

Even if it weren't an issue with compatibility - which it is - the shipping costs to send stuff overseas is rather high...not to mention the delay it causes.

That said, if any of you non-NA types are interested in providing your own materials -- that is, either renting or buying the stuff yourself -- we'd be happy to consider running it. We just can't send you the movies.

Oh... my... pants...

For the first time... being a north american rules... so hard.

Time to bust some balls and get back to writing.

Susan Arendt:
Even if it weren't an issue with compatibility - which it is - the shipping costs to send stuff overseas is rather high...not to mention the delay it causes.

That said, if any of you non-NA types are interested in providing your own materials -- that is, either renting or buying the stuff yourself -- we'd be happy to consider running it. We just can't send you the movies.

I don't know if it's exactly difficult to buy the stuff on european websites and arrange the shipping like that... unless You guys get the stuff for free ;)

raxiv:

I don't know if it's exactly difficult to buy the stuff on european websites and arrange the shipping like that... unless You guys get the stuff for free ;)

Which we do.

Susan Arendt:

raxiv:

Which we do.

Fair deal then, the "export" law is a real bitch in the US. I bet though, anyone who will be contributing the "official" way will have alot of fun. I am planning to write some articles, as I am planning on writing some escapist articles either way, maybe they will be published - if not, I can always put them here on the forums.

Oh man, this is awesome.

I've been a huge fan of FMA for years, so I have my long essay ready, and I guess I'll brush up on my Cowboy Bebop for the short one!

*turns to his finicky computer and proceeds to pelt it with soybeens*

Oni wa soto! Fuku wa uchi! Don't die on me now!

How about a London based comic reviewer? Can we do that, I can do that!

Intrigued by the idea of what one means by "expert", I consider myself a bit of a codger, as besides Studio Ghibli, I'm mostly familiar with the older works of the anime medium. Also, while I understand the need for a person who can provide current coverage on anime releases and speak to a specific core audience, I find the reviews of non-anime fans more helpful than those written with a fan audience in mind. It would be interesting to fill this position with a person who has a passion for general art, film or literatary criticism, as those contributions are more likely to further the acceptance of the medium by mainstream culture.

That said, I'm interested in the position and the prospect of free anime and am going to give this one a shot.

Well, I actually already have a few reviews done but none of the asked anime. Since I live in the US I might apply for it. I have too much free time anyway and my love for anime will be useful for once, YAYNESS!!!

Too bad i am austrian, then again, my english wouldn't be perfect enough anyway.

lapan:
Too bad i am austrian, then again, my english wouldn't be perfect enough anyway.

You know... Perfect means it's 100%. You can't have more 100% than 100% and less 100% than 100%.

Just messing with ya.

Abedeus:

lapan:

You know... Perfect means it's 100%. You can't have more 100% than 100% and less 100% than 100%.

Just messing with ya.

It isn't even 100%, it probably would be full of grammar mistakes ;)

North America. Is that in France?

More to the point, that sucks. I would have totally reviewed the hell out of FMA. You would have thought after Yahtzee entered the scene, you guys would have realised how much Europeans rock :P (Or at least people born in Europe)

Sparrow Tag:
North America. Is that in France?

More to the point, that sucks. I would have totally reviewed the hell out of FMA. You would have thought after Yahtzee entered the scene, you guys would have realised how much Europeans rock :P (Or at least people born in Europe)

That they do. We love them a bunch. But there are several reasons it's just not viable in this instance (which are listed up above).

CantFaketheFunk:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Spirited Away
Fullmetal Alchemist

I presume you mean the series for Evangelion/Alchemist, and not the movies? You might want to clarify, as otherwise you could get some good reviews of stuff that you weren't exactly looking for...
I might give this a shot. How often do you expect to make people do reveiws?
One more question: what edition of Word do you guys have? The latest one has a different default format that older editions hate (as I found out when submitting a term paper via email.)

raxiv:

Funk and Susan did not adequately communicate the amount of anime that we receive. Here's a sneak peek into our office: (cellphone pic, sorry about the quality)

Those top shelves are two layers deep, all anime (third shelf is manga). There is enough there that the shelves are bowing under the weight. There is also more anime on other shelves elsewhere in the office. And more arriving regularly.

So we'd probably be sending it out from here, and not buying more :P

CantFaketheFunk:
Apologies to all our non-NA based community members. :(

No hard feelings. I'm used to be treated like this. Everyone and everywhere does it =P

UK misses out again.

No FMA review for me. :[

I have a few questions.

1) Will the anime that's reviewed be predetermined? e.g. I can't choose to not review a given
anime. (mostly out of concern for fanservice titles)

2) If so, will the reviews consist of classic anime, such as in the application? Or newer titles?

3)Can minors participate?

4) What type of schedule are we looking at?

Sure, reviewing Cowboy Bebop just this once might be fun, but I don't think I could watch a new anime series as often as this position requires.

damn once again I miss out on something grand by not being in North America. On the plus side i'm English and get to eat steak and kidney pudding

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked