Escapism UK: Christmas 2016 - Birmingham Report

ESCAPISM UK: CHRISTMAS 2016

2nd to the 4th December

So the year comes to an end and another Escapism has been and gone, with yet another fantastic event having passed without incident. This Christmas saw us return to Birmingham for the first time since the Summer of 2014 to experience the festive midlands.

The majority of us met up in Birmingham New Street, much changed from the clusterfuck it used to be, now it?s a clusterfuck you can least know where you?re going. ;) Trivun had been on hand since the morning and had met myself, Sketchkat, Evrant and DragonsAteMyMarbles there, this was on the back of some banter from Andalusa who was happy to remind us that she was tucked up warm in bed. The cold snap could be felt by everyone, but impressively no-one suffered the Morgan curse and got badly delayed this time, even with train strikes derailing areas. We were soon joined by sky14kemea, Abyssalin, Kiwishizz, Terratina and KazzyGabranth and made our way to the hostel, Cavan would turn up just after, this time down in Digbeth, best way to describe the hostel would be quirky, the inside is quite vibrant and colourful, they offered free tea and coffee while we waited, so people pulled out Nintendo?s and fired up Pokemon until we checked in, funnily enough the en-suite shower in the 8 bed room literally offered no privacy if you wanted to use it, jokes about showing off your junk aside we decided the communal showers would work. Secret Santa was also done as well, with thanks to Atsu91 for organising it, the quality of gifts this year were pretty good, everyone quite chuffed with what they were given.

We all headed back out after a while to get food and meet others, Aerosteam was picked up from the train station while razer17 arrived with Zowie and Andalusa. We battled through the rush hour traffic to get to bowling, where it became a two way tussle between Trivun and FrostyCoolSlug to see who would win, me and Sky decided to have a dance off via DDR after Abyssalin kicked my ass at Super Smash Bros, I then took my turn at bowling and due to breaking the game I got a free strike, I still lost. Zowie and Sky spent god knows how much money and won a couple of plastic pigs, which seemed to make their day. Upon returning to Digbeth we found MortifiedPenguin and zombie_fish had also joined us. Trivun then took us to Digbeth Dining Club, which despite being small and crowded had some amazing food including Vegan Chilli, Cypriot wraps, unusual pizzas and classics like Fish and Chips, we saw out the evening with games of Munchkin and Cards Against Humanity before getting to bed.

Saturday began quietly, most people happy to take time waking up and have breakfasts or showers, we were joined by newcomers David and Alice at 10:30pm, seems some of the other residents were Star Trek fans as the reboot movies were on TV, we decided to check out the German Christmas Market, which naturally involved eating Saurkraut, Bratwurst and buying trinkets, some of us indulged in mead or honeywine we found, razer17 somehow couldn?t handle eating a mighty 20 inch sausage (surprising) and Sky indulged by buying a Mogwai keyring, a dragon pencil and an owl whistle, I hope her bank balance is fine D: A few us visited the local BBC Building for a tour, where zombie_fish decided to try his hand at DJing, we discovered the backgrounds to British News channels are actually convincing CGI, me, Kazzy, Trivun, zombie_fish and Terratina got to take part in our radio drama debut where Trivun killed and ate us, and me and zombie_fish went head to head with a kid on a quiz using recycled props from Only Fools and Horses. I managed to win because I?m a nerd who knows his Doctor Who ;) some of the others, led by razer17 went Ice Skating, it was too cold and crowded apparently, but no one fell over or injured themselves at least.

Following a brief regrouping at the hostel and a couple of games of Masqerade with Ringwraith, those doing karaoke went off to the Handmade Burger Co for dinner, while the others went to a nice restaurant called Marmalade. We were joined by Andalusa and KiwiShizz as well, despite a 20 minute delay due to the previous booking taking their time, dinner went down well and we all went to karaoke very satisfied, the place looked like it had been built by Aperture Science but had enough room for everyone, I wound up doing a bad rendition of the Carlton dance while Aerosteam did something regarding his Mom?s Spaghetti. Sky wound up getting a badly mixed cocktail with too much vodka in it, but I thought it was okay :3 No Wurzels this time but I did do a bit of West Country style Bohemian Rhapsody alongside Frosty, finishing with some Christmas classics everyone joined in for. After that Trivun led a group back to the hostel for board games and chill while the rest of us went looking for a place to drink, memorably we got turned away from a Witherspoons for being too casual. Just let that one sink in for a moment. We found another Spoons which actually had lower standards and we relaxed with a few pints before staggering home.

Sunday greeted us with an unusually bright day and a few hungover Escapist's, enough that a few skipped Go Karting, how the remainder managed to make it through was nothing short of a miracle, however we were sober and had recovered enough to take to the track late in the morning, in the end I came out as the fastest member of the group with Trivun and razer close by in 2nd and 3rd, each person who attended was awarded a medal by the staff. The others had remained at the hostel to discover who might secretly be Hitler, Kazzy and terratina had gone home by this point and once Secret Hitler was one a few others departed, the rest chilled with games of Mario Kart and watching another Star Trek movie before we went to the train station, where we managed to bump into FamoFunk and The Ambrosian before we went our separate ways.

It was an event that went off without a hitch and it was good to see so many friends again. it was slightly emotional as I have decided I shall be stepping down from beng in charge, I've been running Escapism for 5 years and I will be leaving running of the group in the capable hands of razer and Trivun. They've been a great help over the years and I know the group will be fine with them. I will stay on the organising team to help out along with them, Andalusa and thenumberthirteen and to ensure everyone on the forums stays updated as to our movements.

I'd like to thank them, everyone else in the group who has helped out and provided support and attended over the years and the staff of the Escapist for their support and recognition of us. I am proud of what we have achieved as a group and I look forward to many more events to come.

As always you can find us on the Group Page as well as Twitter if you wish to follow us or join up for future events. We also are on Facebook so PM me on here if you wish to me added via that. Escapism UK will return for it's summer event from the 7th to the 9th of July 2017 and an announcement on that will be made in March

Until then, this is Revelo, signing off!

holy crap the next one is literally one day away from my birthday, I expect cake

No, but in all serious, you've done a fantastic job as our main organiser. It'll nice for you to be able to chill a bit more at events. Many thanks to you for everything you've done.

Summer tends to be the main event, so if there are any folks reading this who are vaguely interested, join the various groups and chat with us (we're friendly I promise, there's almost never drama (unless you like drama in which case I can provide plenty of that)). It'll be nice to see some new faces.

Once again, all you see of me in photos is a pile of hair. Oh well.

Kinda smug that you have a photo of a Commander game I won. Though it was through an almost infinite combo...

Anyway, I had fun and, yeah, I'll miss you badgering me about stuff like paying for the hostel room but you deserve a rest. Organising Escapism is a tough job. :)

In regard to new folk, please see the post above me. It'll be swell seein' ya!

Some quotes from the weekend, presented entirely without context:

"Aww, I like incest."
"Sky is Hitler! SKY IS HITLER!"
"I'm still holding out hope for a Gideon Emery love pillow."
"Shhhh. We're fucking up."
"Where would I find a hedgehog in Birmingham in the middle of the night?"
"I am the prettiest princess."

Feel free to add more!

One day I'm going to make it to one of these.

Also...refused entry to a Wetherspoons...good lord, words fail me.

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

Andalusa:
holy crap the next one is literally one day away from my birthday, I expect cake

No, but in all serious, you've done a fantastic job as our main organiser. It'll nice for you to be able to chill a bit more at events. Many thanks to you for everything you've done.

Summer tends to be the main event, so if there are any folks reading this who are vaguely interested, join the various groups and chat with us (we're friendly I promise, there's almost never drama (unless you like drama in which case I can provide plenty of that)). It'll be nice to see some new faces.

Cake will be provided then, and obviously another booze up as well ;)

Thank you for all the help you've been, especially this year, and I appreciate the kind words as well. I'm looking forward to being able to relax a bit more, providing I can get used to not having as much to organise, haha.

Terratina.:
Once again, all you see of me in photos is a pile of hair. Oh well.

Kinda smug that you have a photo of a Commander game I won. Though it was through an almost infinite combo...

Anyway, I had fun and, yeah, I'll miss you badgering me about stuff like paying for the hostel room but you deserve a rest. Organising Escapism is a tough job. :)

In regard to new folk, please see the post above me. It'll be swell seein' ya!

Did Abyss ever find out if that was a legit move at all? ;) glad you had a good time and I'd have thought you would be happy I'm not badgering you anymore. :P thanks for the understanding however.

Sounded like a lot of fun. Shame I couldn't make it. ...Which will unfortunately be the case for summer Escapism as well, thanks to conflicting travel plans. So I hope to see you all in Amsterdam!
Oh, and thanks for organising this madness for years, Chris! You deserve that break!

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

"Aww, I like incest."
"I'm still holding out hope for a Gideon Emery love pillow."
"Shhhh. We're fucking up."
"Where would I find a hedgehog in Birmingham in the middle of the night?"
"I am the prettiest princess."

Feel free to add more!

Didn't Chris say something about his mum making him spray during karaoke?

I might have missed that.

Zykon TheLich:
One day I'm going to make it to one of these.

Also...refused entry to a Wetherspoons...good lord, words fail me.

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

That's my old avatar though...

How long have you been holding onto that image?

sky14kemea:
That's my old avatar though...

How long have you been holding onto that image?

About 80 years. It's time people knew the truth.

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

"Mama, didn't mean to make you spray..."

Revelo:

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

Is there a way to psychologically un-read something?

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

Revelo:

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

Is there a way to psychologically un-read something?

Did you hear it in my beautiful voice?

Was great bumping into you for all of 30 seconds :p

Srsly tho, thanks for all the organising and hosting you've done, it's really not an easy job trying to get money from everyone, and organising activities and stuff, you totally deserve this break (:

FamoFunk:
Was great bumping into you for all of 30 seconds :p

Srsly tho, thanks for all the organising and hosting you've done, it's really not an easy job trying to get money from everyone, and organising activities and stuff, you totally deserve this break (:

I feel like a tax collector without breaking any thumbs :P

But thank you for the support and the compliments my friend :) it's been a fun ride.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked