Can't Drive.

I can't drive because of a brain injury I had when I was born.

Is there anyone else who can't drive for whatever reason?

I can't drive because I never learned. When I could start learning I had no car at my disposal, so it was going to be a bit useless. Then I spent a lot of time with very little disposable income, so I couldn't afford a car. Finally, most recently I got in a position when I could both afford a car and would really use a car to go to work...and my company moved, so I can go there by foot, if I want. Or take a bus. So, I ended up just doing those two instead of going for a car.

Well, I've never learned to drive because I have vertigo. So sometimes with no warning my entire world will spin very quickly. It's like having your balance reset. Or like when you've been spinning a lot and then you stop but your brain thinks it's still spinning. Like that.

Legally, I think, I could learn to drive. But having a "spin" at the wheel could cause me to seriously hurt myself or someone else, so I thought it's probably best if I don't.

I can drive, but I really don't like doing so and will avoid it if at all possible. It stresses me out more than anything else. It makes me feel like at any moment I could die in a crash, or worse, kill someone else, if I make one mistake or due to someone else's reckless driving. It was only after I learnt to drive that I could see how many bad drivers there are on the road. I feel so threatened while driving, it makes me so angry that I don't feel safe being the one behind the wheel. Fortunately I don't have anywhere I need to go that would require a car to get to...

I mean, I'm 24 and can't drive. If I can't by now, I probably never will.

Because I don't have a car and don't wanna learn about care maintenance and pay for all that stuff. I got my license two years ago, but I hate cars. They're loud, smelly and take up too much room. My dream city wouldn't even have roads and parking spaces for private cars.

Yeah, I'm just terrified of it.

Not only do I do terrible under pressure (you know, with literal hundreds of other morons driving along with you, thinking they too are the most skilled driver in the world, and if you're going the speed limit or under you must be the one that's an idiot), but the world of car insurance and everyone ready to spring into just about any opportunity to hit you with a lawsuit, even if it's their fault, they could just find some way to spin it just right that the law ends up on their side and you're out of pocket hundreds of dollars for a simple mistake that ended up worse because of some other guys bad temper.

And yet, with no money, barely a working vehicle, almost every one of my family members are so adamant about pressuring me into driving.

I know it's useful for jobs and such, but god damn, if I was confident that every other person on the road wasn't a complete bellend behind the wheel I might actually try harder.

I love driving just about anything else though. Go-karts, ATVs, dirt bikes, because at least then it's either too slow to do significant damage, or I'm so isolated from traffic that any mistake is quite literally just my fault and I can just brush it off.

I am too scared to learn, honestly. And I have no good teachers.

Good thing I want to live in a city, and otherwise live in a place that I can get by without driving.

I can't drive because I don't have a drivers license. ,)

The reason for why I don't have a drivers license is twofold.
Firstly, I've never been all that interested in motorized vehicles. As a kid my grandfather would try to get me to steer and drive the tractor around the farm, without success. I didn't even do much traveling on my moped in my teens, I'd rather walk. Also, if things broke down I would have no clue how to fix it and would rather not deal with that hassle.
The second reason is because of my decision anxiety/agony. Which would make me a huge danger on the road.

I might try to overcome these things in the future since having a car (that works) would make a few things easier.
Either that, or becoming rich and order things shipped to me/hire a chauffeur.

I can't drive because when I started taking lessons I discovered I suffer from dyspraxia. For anyone who doesn't know, it's a development co-ordination disorder. I struggle with my co-ordination, balance, and differentiating from my left and right. It took me half an hour to drive a foot because I couldn't co-ordinate doing the clutch and pedal.
However I refuse to let it stop me. I'm going to learn in an automatic and hopefully when I'm more comfortable on the roads I can retake a test in a manual.
Insurance is through the roof for someone my age where I live too which really puts me off.

Had the same, exact issue up through school but found a good surgeon to remove the injury. Location and depth mean everything and they will prod your brain while you're awake to make sure nothing vital is cut upon during surgery. Might look into it.

I can drive, but the logistics of actually getting a license are too much for my delicate sensibilities, i.e. I'd be too stupid and too unwilling to get smarter in order to pass my written exam. A loathing for homework has been hard-wired into my brain ever since high school, so studying is off the table.

I live in a fairly crowded country and seem to be unable to drive safely. I probably could learn how to drive better but it would cost a lot of time and money and public transport is pretty good around here. As a result I've never gotten my drivers license. It runs in the family, actually. My mother never got her drivers licence and her father did but probably shouldn't have.

I imagine if I had lived in for example the states I probably would get a drivers licence. No gear shifting, far broader roads and more need for it would allow and motivate me to get my licence.

I do not have a licence, but it's not from lack of trying at various points. My problem has been the UK theory test - the 3 times I have done it I failed by 1 or 2 marks which just kept putting me off. Plus I didn't have a great time in college, and that was the age I was learning to drive, which is probably also a factor.

I still intend to finally get my licence one day (I can mechanically drive fine, just the bloody theory!) as I do need it. Right now I'm a short walk to work, an even shorter walk to my local town centre and a bus ride away to the big regional town, so it's not a priority.

I can't drive because I never bothered to learn.

Ok technically I did learned and pass my driving test HOWEVER I have not yet driven normally nor bought or used my dad car (in saying so it's automatic and I learned it via manual). Also it has been 9 years since I had passed that test.

Before you asked me why I took the test despite have no despite to drive what so ever, my parent kept insisting on it despite my lack of desire to do so. They the one who paid the test by the way.

I am genuine too terrify to drive normally depite passing it (I failed 5 times) and I know full well the pollution caused by it. Even then I never liked cars in terms of apperance/ design and honestly I rather lived out taking transport via train or buses than to owned a car despite the cons of a train and bus (you have to go on their time but with a car, you can go whenever you want).

Oh, I can drive, I'm just not allowed too because I haven't completed the very expensive process of obtaining a license.

I can drive and regularly do, but anything over an hour's drive is pretty much impossible for me because of a chronic medical condition. There's also days it is pretty much impossible as my legs either wont have the power required to push the accelerator or the clutch.
It's a shame, driving is a lot of fun.

No license, no education.

The biggest hurdle is that I live in a single income household in the US, with my mother as the sole income provider. Were I to get licensed, her insurance premiums would nearly triple because I'm under around 26 years old (I'm only 23.), so there's no way we could afford to get me to drive.

I was terrified of learning driving, and it was tough to learn (didn't like the process at all), but I got through it and now it's a good asset to have, very pratical, especially when you're the one who doesn't like alcohol very much. My main issues are bigger cars and how much harder it is to park them.

Even with a license, I tend to walk everywhere and only drive if I need to (long distance, hurry, rain, cold, bringing someone or something with me).

Casual Shinji:
I can drive, but the logistics of actually getting a license are too much for my delicate sensibilities, i.e. I'd be too stupid and too unwilling to get smarter in order to pass my written exam. A loathing for homework has been hard-wired into my brain ever since high school, so studying is off the table.

Dude, anyone with the IQ of a shrimp could pass a written driving test. Kind of a waste if you already know how to drive. You only need to know some simple traffic rules that take maybe 3 hours to learn.

I could not drive for a long time much to the chagrin of my partner. finally got my license last year and am working on catching up on 6 years of them taking me to work. So Drive a lot which is ok, I dont mind and she hates driving so it has reduced tension.

As far as I'm aware I know only one person in real life my age(27) who drives. I'm constantly being told by my elders that I should learn to drive, but I always respond with 'If you're going to pay for lessons, insurance, maintenance, tax, fuel, parking & an actual car'. It's just not feasible for people to buy and run a car in this day and age, especially if you're also aiming for the equally impossible goal of owning your own home some day.

I can drive but I don't have a license because it's expensive, keeping a car would be even more expensive and I don't need one atm.
I really am going to need it at some point though...

I can't drive because I can't get a Driver's Licence, because I can't afford the Auto Insurance. I'm sure I could learn to drive, though.

Bobular:
As far as I'm aware I know only one person in real life my age(27) who drives. I'm constantly being told by my elders that I should learn to drive, but I always respond with 'If you're going to pay for lessons, insurance, maintenance, tax, fuel, parking & an actual car'. It's just not feasible for people to buy and run a car in this day and age, especially if you're also aiming for the equally impossible goal of owning your own home some day.

Together my Girlfriend and I have achieved both car and house and we are 24 and 26. However our lack of college and the accompanying student loans is probably why. We are actually working on getting our second car, most likely a truck or suv to carry our giant dog(Borzoi) to dog shows because she does not fit in our camero very well.
So having two people helps a lot toward such goals

stroopwafel:

Casual Shinji:

Dude, anyone with the IQ of a shrimp could pass a written driving test. Kind of a waste if you already know how to drive. You only need to know some simple traffic rules that take maybe 3 hours to learn.

Yes, but being who I am it's hard for me to get over how faulty the questions can sometimes be. I did a couple of practice exams and the first 25 or so questions are danger recognition, which gives you 8 seconds to properly respond. But the fact that it's still images already makes the test moot in my book. I made errors based on not knowing how fast someone was going due to it being a picture that I'm looking at, not an actual situation in motion. Also, it's multiple choice, meaning you get 8 seconds to read the question, read the available answers, and then make a decision.

It's a way of testing that frustrates the shit out of me, and when I'm in such a state I'm gonna fail regardless.

I finally got a license 2 months ago, although I have been driving for the past two years. Not too great at it, but I'm getting there.

Casual Shinji:

While we obviously live in different countries, I passed my written exam that was in a language that I barely know. I mean, I had some help from the proctor, but yeah, still passed.

But that test sounds a little ridiculous (I hated being timed at anything), and the application process is a joke in my country, so I guess I am just lucky.

I can't because when I was learning I nearly got into an accident because some asshole wouldn't let me merge. Another second and I would be wrapped around a pole.

Casual Shinji:
I did a couple of practice exams and the first 25 or so questions are danger recognition, which gives you 8 seconds to properly respond. But the fact that it's still images already makes the test moot in my book. I made errors based on not knowing how fast someone was going due to it being a picture that I'm looking at, not an actual situation in motion. Also, it's multiple choice, meaning you get 8 seconds to read the question, read the available answers, and then make a decision.

It's been a while since I did that test so I don't remember the specifics but I do indeed remember it being multiple choice with some trick questions. It really dawned on me after the first couple of questions that you have to think 'dumb' and take the situations on the pictures literal(ie convert them in your mind to basic textbook traffic situations without nuances). Take traffic rules and signs literal and ignore distance and speed b/c it isn't relevant for the test. In your mind you probably make the situation way more complicated then what they're really asking.

I remember one question in particular though in which the question was something like ''do you need to give the motorcycle voorrang?'' but on the picture it was obviously a moped. Just to say how not important they find your interpretation of the traffic situation in those pictures. :p

The real reason why a lot people cheap out on getting a licence is because they want to detach themselves from the whole thing.
Like,
"We need to pickup grandma and take her to the centenarian superbingo."
-- Welp, I can't drive.

Like all non-drivers, I list the usual spiel about expenses, pollution, and exercise; but the most important factor is probably that time my dad wanted me to press the gas pedal so he could fix a his truck. I was very young at the time and to this day, I'm often so lost in thought that I don't hear things like instructions. So when gravity pulled the truck out of the driveway, I had no idea how to make it stop. For some idiot reason, Dad tried to catch it with his hand...before it bumped into a brick wall. It's safe to say I was traumatized by the sight of his bloody hand.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.