REVIEW WARS II -Accepting Ideas for future competitions-

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

REVIEW WARS II

Disclaimer: This is not an official feature of the Escapist Magazine or website, please message me with any questions or comments.

Welcome, one and all, to the unofficial Review Wars; a place where the review competitions never end! A coliseum where the pen truly is mightier than the sword. So crank up that inspirational music, take out your thesaurus and prepare to mince words.

That feeling of Déjà vu is only cause by remembering this original thread.

Now, with the well wishes of its old creator. I bring you the new and improved Review Wars II.

Basics

1. Reviewers will sign up for an upcoming arranged competition.
2. Competitions will take place over the course of two weeks.
3. Reviewers will have one week to submit their reviews to the supervisor. (That's me!)
4. The supervisor will distribute the reviews to volunteer judges, who will then have one week to judge the reviews based on a 30 point rubric.
5. Results will be posted as soon as they're gathered, barring any complications. If a judge fails to give out a score in a reasonable time period, then their duty falls to me.

RULES & GUIDELINES

I. Entering a competition

II. Scheduling

III. Writing a Review

IV. Judging and Scoring

The amount of judges will vary from 3-5 depending on the amount of competitors and the number of judges available.

V. Miscellaneous

VI. So what do I get if I win?

AVAILABLE POSITIONS

I am seeking assistance with maintaining this thread, and at the moment two types of positions available:

Celebrity Judge & Regular judge

SCHEDULE

Saturday, January 30th: First event will be posted
Monday, February 1st: Sign ups will be closed at 12:00 pm. Eastern US. Celebrity judges chosen
Monday, February 8th: Reviews are due
Monday, February 15th: Scores due
Tuesday, February 16th: Scores posted, award given.

Special Thanks

Firstly to Lvl 64 Klutz, the creator of the original thread. As well as our regular judges, and Susan Arendt.

A gigantic thank you to Labyrinth. Who created out banner.

I would love to do this, but sadly I have so much work to do right now that I shall be unable to.

Which deeply saddens me.

However, good luck to all who enter!

Except you.

Yes. You.

Truthyness and spoilerfreebility should be part of the rubric.

How many reviews do we have to give?

I can't compete. I have too many work-loads for university. I'm also making a "poking the argument".

What is the topic of this war? Or is open to any review? I might do this.

I hope I didn't miss that part

I shall join this.

And I shall win.

Maybe I can bribe NewClassic so he'll write a review for me

Hubilub:
I shall join this.

And I shall win.

Maybe I can bribe NewClassic so he'll write a review for me

First event is up. Change of plans.

IdealistCommi:
snip

Random Argument Man:
Le snip

Only one, it is distributed to the judges

Pimppeter2:
-snip-

Dammit.
My chances of winning are now slim.
I do not play many Fantasy setting games.

IdealistCommi:

Pimppeter2:
-snip-

Dammit.
My chances of winning are now slim.
I do not play many Fantasy setting games.

Really? Lots of games do count as fantasy games.

Pimppeter2:
Bla bla bla Fantasy setting bla bla bla

Fantasy setting eh? Quick put Final Fantasy 1 through 5 or 9 in the Playstation!

Pimppeter2:

Well the "Knights/Kings/Elves" fantasy, then no. If you just mean a fantasy world, then that might be easier. Depends on the definition of "fantasy" in this case

IdealistCommi:

Pimppeter2:

Well the "Knights/Kings/Elves" fantasy, then no. If you just mean a fantasy world, then that might be easier. Depends on the definition of "fantasy" in this case

I'll change it to fantasy world. Added a description to help.

Pimppeter2:

I'll change it to fantasy world. Added a description to help.

Cool. Maybe I can win me a title

I'd try my hand if you hadn't invoked my weakness (and by that I mean word limits). Any chance I could convince you to change things up?

HT_Black:
I'd try my hand if you hadn't invoked my weakness (and by that I mean word limits). Any chance I could convince you to change things up?

Sadly not. It would be too much to ask of the judges, especially in their time frame. I hope you do try at it regardless.

I have seen and enjoyed your reviews.

I may or may not be able to do this, depending on how much time I have on my hands. If I tell you I can do it now, is that set in stone, or will I be able to back out if my schedule ends up preventing it?

orannis62:
I may or may not be able to do this, depending on how much time I have on my hands. If I tell you I can do it now, is that set in stone, or will I be able to back out if my schedule ends up preventing it?

Backing out simply means you are disqualified. Which results in you simply getting no score.

However, if you back out, but do not PM me at all, and just let the time run out. You will be barred from the next competition. But can participate in ones after that.

Pimppeter2:

orannis62:

Backing out simply means you are disqualified. Which results in you simply getting no score.

However, if you back out, but do not PM me at all, and just let the time run out. You will be barred from the next competition. But can participate in ones after that.

Righto, when's the deadline?

I'll do it.

orannis62:
snip

For this first competition it is 11:59 (GMT) on February 8th. As stated in the competition info part.

denseWorm:
I'll do it.

Review or Judge, I'll assume you mean review.

Make sure you pay heed to the explanation for the event. Disqualification was quite common in the last one.

Pimppeter2:

orannis62:
snip

For this first competition it is 11:59 (GMT) on February 8th. As stated in the competition info part.

Oh, right. I realized after I posted that that was probably in the OP. Anyway, I'm still not totally sure I can do it, but sign me up anyway, I've been meaning to write a review anyway.

Just one quick thing (and this time I checked whether or not it was addressed in the OP): I'm fairly sure I know the answer, but does it have to be a game review, or is any form open?

Pimppeter2:

denseWorm:
I'll do it.

Review or Judge, I'll assume you mean review.

Make sure you pay heed to the explanation for the event. Disqualification was quite common in the last one.

As a reviewer - my apologies... Sorry, me being a judge instead of a contestant is just, beyond the scope of my comprehension.

orannis62:
Le snip?

Yes, It must be a game. For this competition at least.

denseWorm:
snip

I was hoping you would judge anyways. :)

I would adore being a judge, criticizing critique is one of my life-long dreams. I promise to be available, fair and strict. I have an extensive knowledge of grammar and spelling and would love this opportunity to punish people who misspell.

I hope I'm not too late...

Pimppeter2:

orannis62:
Le snip?

Yes, It must be a game. For this competition at least.

Oh. It's a good thing I asked, I had a plan for a book review. I can probably still do it.

FROGGEman2:
snip

Nope, you are just on time. I'll add you to the queue. Heavy chance of being picked on this first event seeing as you are one of the first to sign up.

Pimppeter2:

denseWorm:
snip

I was hoping you would judge anyways. :)

Well if I wasn't wanting to compete I'd judge...

Hmm - I can judge other people's reviews if you want/need a judge, being honest/a good sport is my nature so if you could make it work i'd be fine heh... But I would like to try my hand at competing.

Could judge if I got kicked out early *scoff* :P

Hmm...I feel I have enough writing chops to at least take a shot, and I do have a game I was planning for an Off-Topic Review that fits the setting. The timing for such a thing will be rather tight, though, if I have a week. Such setup needed, screenshots, maybe steal some from the internet, *mumble* *mumble*

Sir? I'll take your challenge!

Kakugo--!

denseWorm:
snip

Have you on board as a reviewer! Good luck!

NeutralDrow:

Sir? I'll take your challenge!

Tear down this wall!

Woops. I mean sure, I'll add you in.

I'd love to be one of your judges my good, handsome sir (totally not sucking up). I was just wondering if there was a scoring method. Like areas on which we score the review.

Curtmiester:
I'd love to be one of your judges my good, handsome sir (totally not sucking up). I was just wondering if there was a scoring method. Like areas on which we score the review.

Not reading the entire post is definitely hurting your chances. Its in there, under RUBRIC.

Pimppeter2:

Curtmiester:

Not reading the entire post is definitely hurting your chances. Its in there, under RUBRIC.

Ya, I just finished reading that...
Now I feel like an idiot.

Pimppeter2:

FROGGEman2:
snip

Nope, you are just on time. I'll add you to the queue. Heavy chance of being picked on this first event seeing as you are one of the first to sign up.

Oh Christ, please pick me.

Please love me. I'm so desperate.

Curtmiester:

Ya, I just finished reading that...
Now I feel like an idiot.

Tis okay. I won't actually count that against you.

FROGGEman2:

Pimppeter2:

FROGGEman2:
snip

Oh Christ, please pick me.

Please love me. I'm so desperate.

Haha, you had me at the word 'adore', don't worry, you're most likely in.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked