A Stranger's music :: #46 Lemetre, Antlers and more Radiohead [video reviews]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Stranger of Sorts:

Freebird.:
Nice stuff. I really like Ok Go even though they're not the kind of music I normally listen to.

I'd like to make a request for you to review something a bit different if you'd like. Specifically, That Handsome Devil. I'd love to hear you thoughts on them.

I'll look into it, but I can't promise anything. I'm quite swamped with requests at the moment and I try and balance requests with random albums so if I were to do every request I'd probably be writing my 100th review as we speak.

Of course. It wouldn't be fair to take my request before the people who asked earlier. Besides, I might review them myself soon.

Burningsok:
hey could you review some of these albums if possible, and yes... they are very VERY popular. I wanna see what you think of these.

Albums: Boston by Boston, The Wall by Pink Floyd, As Far as Siam by Red Rider, Death Magnetic by Metallica, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles, and Facelift by Alice in Chains.

27. A suitable 1000 and something-th post

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

____by The Beatles

Genre = Pop/ Rock

Number of Songs = 13

Highlights = When I'm 64, A Day in the Life + Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!

GO READ THE REVIEW!

Anyway, it seems I'm very good at getting people to read my reviews, but not many comment. For example, my last separate review got 200 views and only one of them commented. It would be great if this trend could be broken.

For the next review I'm thinking of doing another one of mine, more specifically "Street Horrrsing" by Fuck Buttons. After that I'll do another request, then one of mine, then a request and so on.

Be sure to leave a comment.

Thanks for reading.

I won The Beatles: Rock Band when it came out so I only really got into the band this year. I was pretty surprised. I thought, after all the imitators they would seem boring and I wouldn't like them. They're now one of my favourite bands.

Freebird.:
I won The Beatles: Rock Band when it came out so I only really got into the band this year. I was pretty surprised. I thought, after all the imitators they would seem boring and I wouldn't like them. They're now one of my favourite bands.

This seems to be the case with a lot of people, as I said in the review they have done some incredible songs.

I wish that more people would comment on these... it's one thing to beg for attention on my part but really I like to know that people are actually enjoying reading these, or if not how I can improve.

Stranger of Sorts:

Freebird.:

This seems to be the case with a lot of people, as I said in the review they have done some incredible songs.

I wish that more people would comment on these... it's one thing to beg for attention on my part but really I like to know that people are actually enjoying reading these, or if not how I can improve.

Your Reviews are good, and im pleased that you do not add a rating to it, i think ratings are really a biased think to put on a review.
But there isnt a clear reason of why you may think a song is bad, why is it not "the best album ever" for you.

Also the reason for the low amount of comments about your reviews is because you have loads of Indie, and i hope im not mistaken, but i think the tastes of most escapists is mostly rooted in the harder rock and metal bands.(The only bands that could be considered Indie, and ones that i liked was My Bloody Valentine and Tresspassers William).

Id be very interested in your review of Pink Floyd - The Wall, the album that got me into Proggressive Rock.

Novskij:

Your Reviews are good, and im pleased that you do not add a rating to it, i think ratings are really a biased think to put on a review.
But there isnt a clear reason of why you may think a song is bad, why is it not "the best album ever" for you.

Also the reason for the low amount of comments about your reviews is because you have loads of Indie, and i hope im not mistaken, but i think the tastes of most escapists is mostly rooted in the harder rock and metal bands.(The only bands that could be considered Indie, and ones that i liked was My Bloody Valentine and Tresspassers William).

Id be very interested in your review of Pink Floyd - The Wall, the album that got me into Proggressive Rock.

Pink Floyd is on the list actually, I'll try to PM you if I do it in this week. I've realised the popularity of metal here and am painfully aware of it from all the PMs sent to me saying how "wrong" I am about their beloved genre. Ah well...

I've found that I'm not very good at distinguishing between awesome and not quite as awesome, I tend to speak only in positives if I like something and my template of focussing on three songs hinders me further. With "Sgt. Pepper", I found that the other songs that I didn't talk about were quite bland if anything.

Stranger of Sorts:

Novskij:

Pink Floyd is on the list actually, I'll try to PM you if I do it in this week. I've realised the popularity of metal here and am painfully aware of it from all the PMs sent to me saying how "wrong" I am about their beloved genre. Ah well...

I've found that I'm not very good at distinguishing between awesome and not quite as awesome, I tend to speak only in positives if I like something and my template of focussing on three songs hinders me further. With "Sgt. Pepper", I found that the other songs that I didn't talk about were quite bland if anything.

Well with your positive attitude to reviews, that means you pick out the best of the album (according to your taste :D)

It would be awesome if you reviewed the Fake Blood ep, it's three songs and it shouldn't take too much time to listen trough them all.
Hope you're into random disco/alternative electro.

Reviewing The Beatles eh? Well you're certainly far more charitable to them then I would ever be - I honestly have never understood why they're this "holy grail" and we all must love them (or be accused of posturing when we say we don't). Which is not to say I think they're bad, they're just really boring (with a few exceptions here and there of course).

Gildan Bladeborn:
Reviewing The Beatles eh? Well you're certainly far more charitable to them then I would ever be - I honestly have never understood why they're this "holy grail" and we all must love them (or be accused of posturing when we say we don't). Which is not to say I think they're bad, they're just really boring (with a few exceptions here and there of course).

I thought I'd take a break from being "edgy" which people have accused me of since the Portal review. But yeh it's pretty good, just not nearly as mind-blowing as everyone promised. I may even go as far to say that the Killers have produced better albums (though they did make some good albums so this isn't an insult to the Beatles or anything)

slipknot4:
It would be awesome if you reviewed the Fake Blood ep, it's three songs and it shouldn't take too much time to listen trough them all.

I'll check it out, might not warrant a full review but I'll tack it along with the next "random shit review" I do.

Stranger of Sorts:

slipknot4:

I'll check it out, might not warrant a full review but I'll tack it along with the next "random shit review" I do.

Ahh, thanks. I can't wait for it to be released ^_^

28. Don't Make Me Choose

Neveroddoreven

_by I Monster

Genre = Don't make me choose

Number of Songs = 12

Highlights = Daydream in Blue, Hey Mrs. (Glamour Pus Remix) + Heaven

Have a listen while you read the review.

READ THE REVIEW

ARRRRRGGGHHHHH

Anyway yeh, sorry this one's a bit short. It started out very well but then I completely blanked on things to talk about. I could have waited till things popped up, but I tend to do these when the feeling takes me.

Oh next time will most likely be The Wall by Pink Floyd because of popular demand (being 2 people, but hey that's double the normal amount)

Thanks for reading.

Well that song was certainly... interesting. Not really Glam Rock though - I can see why you'd say that, but Glam Rock sounds a lot more like say...

I've pretty much given up on you reviewing The Odyssey, so I tracked down a copy for myself - I really don't get why you seem to find reviewing it such a daunting prospect. It's only an hour and seven minutes long, ha ha!

Gildan Bladeborn:
Well that song was certainly... interesting. Not really Glam Rock though - I can see why you'd say that, but Glam Rock sounds a lot more like say...

I've pretty much given up on you reviewing The Odyssey, so I tracked down a copy for myself - I really don't get why you seem to find reviewing it such a daunting prospect. It's only an hour and seven minutes long, ha ha!

I didn't really think it was, but when I was previewing the songs on iTunes I read the review of it there and that was what they said it was. I thought that a professional music reviewer would know hat they were on about, seems like they didn't.

I'm really surprised/ annoyed at myself for not reviewing The Odyssey, I seem to have built it up in my mind as something that's really bad even though I haven't really listened to it yet.

Stranger of Sorts:
I'm really surprised/ annoyed at myself for not reviewing The Odyssey, I seem to have built it up in my mind as something that's really bad even though I haven't really listened to it yet.

Well we may only have partially overlapping tastes in music at best, but ask yourself this: When have I ever recommended something you actively loathed?

Gildan Bladeborn:

Stranger of Sorts:

Well we may only have partially overlapping tastes in music at best, but ask yourself this: When have I ever recommended something you actively loathed?

Damn you...

I'm not too much of a fan of the intro to Accolade II, it's a bit pirate like though so that's good. Reminds me of Meatloaf.

EDIT: This guitar solo is bitching!

God doesn't want you to read this

The Odyssey

_by Symphony X

Genre = Progressive Metal

Number of Songs = 8

Highlights = Accolade II + The Odyssey

Give it a listen while you read, then you can save time and time is precious.

Do you know why I always fill this place with meaningless jarble? It's because the quote box doesn't cover the video if I don't do it.

Oh and sorry if these have been slowing down even more, I made a User Group you see and am spending quite a bit of my Escapist time on it. It actually takes a surprising amount of effort to get the ball rolling so you can sit back and enjoy what you've started. If you're interested in good threads then I suggest you join it.

I didn't mean to advertise it but it's the only way I could think of to fill out space. Sorry.

See, I knew you'd like it - you had yourself all worried over nothing. You'd probably like their other albums too, though I'm certainly not going to nag you to review those (unless you want me to), heh.

I should totally review the "Tunisian Symphony X" now!

Gildan Bladeborn:
See, I knew you'd like it - you had yourself all worried over nothing. You'd probably like their other albums too, though I'm certainly not going to nag you to review those (unless you want me to), heh.

I should totally review the "Tunisian Symphony X" now!

I think I've had my fair share of nagging. Thanks for the offer though.

I'm glad that you decided to go against all of the factors leading you against The Odyssey and reviewed it anyway. It is a bit all over the place with how heavy and light it is. I personally like that though, Russell Allen has an awesome voice and I like to think that kind of shows his diversity. Michael Romeo is a badass on guitar, as the guitar solo in Accolade II shows.

Nice to see a review from a different musical perspective though. I also thought it was rather cool to see music based off of something I had to learn in school, but I didn't mind having to read The Odyssey. It definitely helps the song if you have read the story, in my personal opinion.

30. Super-duper cool and Indie

We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes

_by Death Cab for Cutie

Genre = Indie

Number of Songs = 10

Highlights = the album

It's a long time favourite for this time. Expect a WEIMS next week. Mt Eden have just released some DnB that is very tasty. Plus I believe I have some Disco that I'd said I would review. I might add a little Fuck Buttons (really bad name for a band, don't you think?) to the mix since it is weird, electronic, form the internet and (just about makes it as) music.

The majority of my exams are over, yay! Though I still have some important ones coming up, but I've finished most of the big learning ones (history basically) so have more time for stuff!

Leave a comment, every time someone does it reminds me of why I still write these.Thanks for reading.

You'd probably be surprised to find I actually rather enjoy Death Cab for Cutie (shocking!), though that's probably because you have a rather incomplete picture of my taste in music that I just haven't bothered to disabuse you of, mostly because it amuses me to think of what you think my tastes really are (your response to my comment about the Maccabees made me chuckle rather a lot). I do in fact listen to more than a few bands in the genres you usually frequent, some of which you might have heard of (or not, I have no idea where most of those bands lie in the general spectrum of popularity).

Death Cab though has reached the point of critical saturation where the stereotypical "indie rock fans" are now obligated to hate them, simply because everyone has heard of them now. It's actually kind of funny, in a depressing, make you lose more faith in humanity sort of way.

Gildan Bladeborn:
You'd probably be surprised to find I actually rather enjoy Death Cab for Cutie (shocking!), though that's probably because you have a rather incomplete picture of my taste in music that I just haven't bothered to disabuse you of, mostly because it amuses me to think of what you think my tastes really are (your response to my comment about the Maccabees made me chuckle rather a lot). I do in fact listen to more than a few bands in the genres you usually frequent, some of which you might have heard of (or not, I have no idea where most of those bands lie in the general spectrum of popularity).

Death Cab though has reached the point of critical saturation where the stereotypical "indie rock fans" are now obligated to hate them, simply because everyone has heard of them now. It's actually kind of funny, in a depressing, make you lose more faith in humanity sort of way.

I'd be very interested in learning what those bands are.

I got around the problem of Death Cab's popularity by reviewing their old stuff because that shows I have a deeper understanding of them so "it's allowed". But yes, it is sad that many people despise bands they used to love just because they've been met with success. It's quite selfish if anything.

Stranger of Sorts:

Hah, that would require me going through a massive list and 'remembering' which name is which and what style of music they play (often difficult as the various indie acts I encounter are typically via Pandora and they don't always have a bio attached), or manually verifying each one... yeah, I'm way too lazy to do that.

That ridiculously long list is just the various things that play on my Pandora station. So in a way, I've answered your question while making you do all the potential legwork of figuring out what is what on that horribly long list, and in the process gifted you with a much greater insight into my eclectic tastes.

Gildan Bladeborn:

Stranger of Sorts:

Hah, that would require me going through a massive list and 'remembering' which name is which and what style of music they play (often difficult as the various indie acts I encounter are typically via Pandora and they don't always have a bio attached), or manually verifying each one... yeah, I'm way too lazy to do that.

That ridiculously long list is just the various things that play on my Pandora station. So in a way, I've answered your question while making you do all the potential legwork of figuring out what is what on that horribly long list, and in the process gifted you with a much greater insight into my eclectic tastes.

So it's pretty much everything apart from rap and hiphop as far as I can tell. Oh dance and DnB as well since I can't pick out any names from them. It's funny that there are a few names on there that I plan to review some day (Zero 7/ Snow Patrol).

I miss Pandora, I remember going on one day to see they've blocked it for anyone outside the US, I was immensely pissed off.

Gildan Bladeborn:
-Snip.-

Based on a majority of bands on that list, I'd imagine you would like this: http://epicrockradio.com/

Have discovered quite a few bands from that website.

Stranger of Sorts:
I miss Pandora, I remember going on one day to see they've blocked it for anyone outside the US, I was immensely pissed off.

If you are looking for something similar, check out last.fm. Same premise, but I'm fairly certain that it is accessible to more than just the US. It is what I use and I haven't had any complaints.

Myrddin Emrys:

Stranger of Sorts:

If you are looking for something similar, check out last.fm. Same premise, but I'm fairly certain that it is accessible to more than just the US. It is what I use and I haven't had any complaints.

It's pretty good, not as good but it will do. Thanks.

You should take a listen to Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors by Editors, it's really good, they've been compared to Joy Division and New Order and are just brilliant, generally.

Parallel Streaks:
You should take a listen to Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors by Editors, it's really good, they've been compared to Joy Division and New Order and are just brilliant, generally.

I already own it, in real CD form as well. It is a good album, their new one was a bit of a disappointment though.

Stranger of Sorts:

Parallel Streaks:

I already own it, in real CD form as well. It is a good album, their new one was a bit of a disappointment though.

Ahh, yeah, they went a bit too "poppy", as much as I hate to use that term. I like them at their best, blatantly taking inspiration from Joy Division.

Here's a game, I'm going to list bands, you're going to say if you've heard of them. If not, I urge you to listen to them! (:

The Cribs, The Holloways, Laura Marling, Noah and the Whale, Eels, Bon Iver, Peter Doherty's solo work, Cage The Elephant.

Sorry if I'm sounding pushy, I'm just excited to meet someone who's actually heard of Editors, it rarely happens in my town. Though they have two platinum albums, so it really should happen more often.

Parallel Streaks:

Stranger of Sorts:

Parallel Streaks:

Ahh, yeah, they went a bit too "poppy", as much as I hate to use that term. I like them at their best, blatantly taking inspiration from Joy Division.

Here's a game, I'm going to list bands, you're going to say if you've heard of them. If not, I urge you to listen to them! (:

The Cribs, The Holloways, Laura Marling, Noah and the Whale, Eels, Bon Iver, Peter Doherty's solo work, Cage The Elephant.

Sorry if I'm sounding pushy, I'm just excited to meet someone who's actually heard of Editors, it rarely happens in my town. Though they have two platinum albums, so it really should happen more often.

Laura Merling and Cage the Elephant are the only ones I haven't actually heard the music from.

But yeh, the Editors (and some bands on that list) are pretty big. I'm very surprised you don't know people who have heard of them.

Delphic- Acolyte
Delphic- Acolyte

A Stranger Reviews

Acolyte

___by Delphic

Genre:____________Electronic

Number of Songs:__10

Highlights: ________Acolyte, Counterpoint + Remain__________________

Delphic are an unusual band, not only did they draw me in with Counterpoint, a feel-good pop song that somehow got past my "indie barrier" of not being allowed to like what everyone else does, but they managed to keep me listening with another side of their music that is completely invisible if you listen to their singles. It's bands like Delphic that make me an album person.

One thing to note is that Delphic were picked up the French music label Kitsune, notorious for picking up great indie bands such as Two Door Cinema Club, Fisherspooner and the more well known La Roux. Delphic most certainly do not break the trend.

Delphic take heavy influences from bands such as Radiohead and Foals in the respect that many of their songs lack a kind of focus. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it means that the songs can drift and become completely different in the space of two seconds. But it does require a skilled hand and can very easily go wrong. Something that this album shows perfectly since for every good song that shows the brilliance of this band, there's one that goes against that.

The song that you are (or should be) listening to is Remain, or more specifically the full album version that adds about 3 minutes to the single version. It's soft, full of a wide variety of percussion and electronic effects and the strength of it rises and falls gradually. However, despite this it has a pretty uplifting feel to it, especially when it reaches the chorus. It's a prime example of how Delphic are so much more than a generic electronic/pop combo leeching of the success of the overuse of 80's synthesisers. They are an individual band of their own right and the use of subtle tones and varying notes only serves to back this up. Top this off with the singer's incredible voice and you have quite the package.

Delphic also branch into the Dance genre with the title track, Acolyte. This 9 minute long epic is broken up into "parts", so to speak. It start off incredibly quiet, in a sort of ambient way and quickly builds up into a loud, thumping "chorus". This whole thing is repeated but then added to and added to again until you have a loud crescendo with haunting screaming in the background blasting into your ears. It's annoyingly well-done and infectious and does what any Dance song is meant to do, which is to make you want to jump around.

The pop elements of this song are by no means pale in comparison to the rest, it's just that they don't seem to be as spontaneous or exciting. A late-Killers-esque background beat and nonsensical lyrics are always welcome in the song Counterpoint, but it's just something we've all heard before. That being said the chorus of "Just tell me nothing's wrong today" is rather catchy and it's the reason I got the album in the first place. I just don't think that it's a song that should be used to show off the band as it seems to be a bit of a one off.

This isn't exactly an album that I would whole-heartedly recommend to even the most adamant electronic/indie enthusiasts. What Delphic offers us is not refined perfection, but more raw potential. There are odd bits here and there like in Ephemera, the minute and a half long interlude, but there are far too many flaws to pass off "Acolyte" as anything more than just pretty good.

Gasp! The format has changed! The title has too! What have you done?

I've been meaning to change the title of this thread for a while now, "Music for Dummies" was great when I was messing around when making this but I've always thought it was a bit aggressive and implies that I think I'm an expert, which I'm not. The format change is just a habit of mine, I keep changing it around so I don't get bored with this. Sorry for any confusion.

Stranger of Sorts:
-snippety-

That was actually quite pleasant, definitely along the lines of various other electronic music projects I enjoy, so thanks for showing me that.

As for your new format, I'm partial to the text portion (hiding the actual review in spoiler tags struck me as an odd thing to do really), but the heading... not so much. Which is not to say that I think it's not salvageable and should be scrapped, there are just some issues.

For one, the underscores: I realized when I opened the page in IE what you were trying to go for, as they're not visible in that browser and serve only to shift characters over. Well in Firefox it shows up as a quite visible blue or black line. You can avoid that easily enough by just changing it to White in the color box, which does the same thing in both browsers and is therefore the preferred methodology.

Then we get to why you were using that trick in the first place - the ordered list with categories on the left and entries on the right, which you had appear on the right using "Right" tags, so you had to make them shift over a bit so they weren't in front of the category. The problem with that is

1) There's no punctuation or other distinguishing characteristics to differentiate the categories from the entries so my brain thinks it looks sloppy.

2) The way they line up doesn't - the two sides of the segment aren't even, so it will say "Genre" and then "Electronic" down and to the right, which really does look sloppy. Frankly it looks like a formatting goof rather than something intentional.

Why not just use the underscores to shift the text you'd like on the right over a bit and put it on the same line as the text on the left?

Gildan Bladeborn:
snip snip

Thanks for that, I wasn't too sure when I posted it and coming back to it it does seem sloppy. Anyhow, I went ahead and fixed it.

Stranger of Sorts:

Gildan Bladeborn:
snip snip

Thanks for that, I wasn't too sure when I posted it and coming back to it it does seem sloppy. Anyhow, I went ahead and fixed it.

Ah, well that fixed the alignment problem quite nicely, but the underscores are still an issue - to fix that you should change the {color=f7f7f7} tags you have now to read {color=white}[1]. I realize you aren't seeing anything wrong with the approach you're using now, because Internet Explorer renders it white, but it's quite glaringly not invisible against the background in Firefox and since both browsers display it the same way if you use "white" in the tags, there's really no reason not to. Especially when most people here use Firefox (just like you really should be, IE is crap).

[1] Except without the curly brackets of course.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked