Anarchemitis Presents: My Top 10 Favorite Films

Film is an art. Many combined expressions of the soul to create a large experience of compounded narrative to stimulate the emotions and the imagination- something I enjoy greatly. (In great part due to the fact that cinema as a whole is a much older and more matured one than video games, and they're also cheaper ;) In my little life I've seen a few films, and I would have to say I like some more than others, which I would like to provide some discourse on, in the hopes that you will enjoy it.
Please note that Spoilers are sort of present; it is assumed you have already seen or know a bit about all or some of the mentioned movies.

10- The Dark Knight

Click for Main Theme Music

The Dark Knight has been thusfar the most modern experience I've had of an excellent movie. Good memories and a completely solid movie are what keep this movie on the top ten, but more interesting points push it back near the bottom of the 10. The cinematography, music and the appeal of the characters are the biggest draws of mine for this film. The shots are clear and strong giving direction and concise communication of who and what where when, and the characters are as enigmatic, deep and interesting as hell. The music also is unlike anything I'd ever heard before with the rhaspy usage of percussion and guitar to draw something raw and gothic unlike any violin could ever hope to be, while still building the same silent scream of anticipation.
However awesome, darker and edgier is not my cup of tea in all weather, so at best it get's me in a good mood in the right weather and the right mood. For that it barely squeezes onto the top ten.Tough, gritty, dark, nefarious and it grabs your attention as if it were an egg waiting to be thrown off a building.

9 - The Terminal

The Terminal strikes a chord in me for having just the right balance of sour and sweet, bitter disappointment and cheerful enlightenment while still telling a great story. Lost in translation is probably a level of human depreciation that I might actually fear in the event that it occured to me. This film well juxtaposes that occurrence in a way we can relate to as an audience, and makes us think about those we don't understand on the street, or immigrants by an extension. Fun and easy to watch, and probably one of the most lighthearted Spielburg films, I really like, but not like the most. (It's highly possible that this film is on here only because Steven Spielburg directed and John Williams did music).

8 - Beauty & The Beast

This was in all likelihood the first movie I ever saw in my entire life, which is demonstratively a good thing. Beauty & The Beast is an excellent tale of Love and Perseverance with one of the most impeccably designed antagonists and cleverest staged premises in all of film. (Show me another film in which an animate talking set of candles is a likable character.) The animation in of itself is nothing short of breathtaking, taking in full the fact of Disney's Animation Renaissance of the Late 80s and Early 90s. (Which sort of spells out "You Suck" to animation students like me) Look deep within and no one is truly a beast is an excellent aesop to teach children.
This movie is my favorite of any Disney film because of the wondrous atmosphere it builds, and the balance struck by all characters. Although a lot of the time it's Everyone vs. Gaston.

7 - The Shawshank Redemption

This movie redefined film for me. It turned it from a simple time-wasting moving picture conveyed through a box into a painting/time+sound. It was beautiful from beginning to end with absolutely no part as excellent as the last. Every scene piqued the sense of emotion it was supposed to, from delight to excitement to wonder to abject horror. The twist ending is certainly one for the ages, and in of itself forces you to really earn it.
If you have not seen it, I recommend this movie a higher priority than all the others on this list, although be forewarned that this movie is violent to the eye and mind, although not quite exactly as you might imagine.
It dodn't place higher because there is very little overbidding moral or striking notion. It's simply an excellent story for a story's sake. If not for the aforementioned violence, it would've placed higher, probably pushing #3 back.

6 - Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Once upon a time I hated Star Wars. The time was about 9 to 10 years ago, and the reason was my first glimpse into the universe of space ships and lasers and epic struggles of Good and Evil was the trash compactor scene from Star Wars IV (I was a wussy kid when I was 10 and for whatever reason, I detested the movie because of that scene. I couldn't handle dramatic tension at all. I probably would've passed out within fourteen seconds seeing The Dark Knight at that age.) But a couple years later I was reintroduced to Star Wars under a new light by a friend and I watched the original trilogy probably day-in-day-out for in the order of a whole month to the extent that I had memorized all of the lines and actions. The majority of my recollection of the older Star Wars movies comes from these memories, and Star Wars V is the one I liked the most. It's probably a lot to do with the fact that I like snow, seeing as all the other movies lack it, and apart from names and shapes, most of the story and actions in all of the Star Wars saga are relatively samey. This movie's position in the Top Ten comes from nostaliga's recollection since I haven't seen the movie in full for over 6 years now, and the latest clip I resaw on Youtube demonstrated why I shouldn't ruin that nostalgia for my childhood's sake.

5 - The Music Man

(Meredith Wilson's, 1962)

A long time ago -before I knew what the internet was, I came home from school one day and happened to witness a fellow with a suitcase marked "PROF. HAROLD HILL" disembarking a moving train. I sat down and watched the film through with the family, and I was instantly hooked; I loved musicals. A simple story of love overcoming a man's greed at heart, and quite effectively demonstrating little town America in all of it's quaintness. It's a bit long and drags at points, but the adorable aesthetic of it all makes it worth it. (Not to mention the dancing and singing. OH the Dancing and Singing! :)
It's a fun whimsical watch and I would reccomend it when you've run out of good Disney/Pixar canon to watch.

4 - Princess Mononoke

Studio Ghibli's films are like a Japanese version of Pixar or Valve, where their integral motto is "Quality is the Best buisness plan". I am totally supportive of a company that goes by the dicta "Story must be strong and polished, music must be elegant and colorful, characters must be three dimensional, acting must be solid." Mononoke fills all of these superbly. The narration of what is essentially [the protagonist] Ashitaka's coming-of-age as well as a showdown of good and evil (if you can call it that) interwoven to give a story with more charm and complexity than one could expect out of only two hours. Environmentalism, anti-war, women's rights, gray and gray morality, it's a crazy movie that's got them all and it's a hell of a fun adventure, even if it is the most violent of the Ghibli films.

4 - Spirited Away

Honestly if my thoughts were bareknuckle boxers over their position in this Top Ten, both contenders for this slot would have fought to the death of starvation. I repeatedly find myself unable to decide which movie I like more, which explains why Mononoke and Spirited are both rated Four on this Top Ten, technically making it a Top Eleven. However I'm not the Nostalgia Critic and his stuff is copyrighted, so I'll drop it there.
Spirited Away, like Mononoke has an indecipherable charm to it that only Hayao Myazaki can produce, giving a child-like innocence to complex mature themes and phantasmagorical concepts, having one foot firmly planted in fantasy fiction and the other solidly placed in the real world.

3 - The Incredibles

I've probably seen this movie 12 times and I always see something I never noticed before. While certainly not the most spectacular or best written of the Pixar films, The Incredibles is my favorite because of the stylistic approach to characters and the fantastic amount of big buttons and wooshy doors and giant robots and jet planes and rocket boots. The affectionate parody/Rip ya a new one of comic books that Brad Bird the director pulls still today is fresh and innovative. Through and through it's original, action-packed and an easy watch for those who like to be excited. Best way to start yourself on the Pixar canon, and definitely one of the best animated movies ever made.

2 - Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump is one of my favorite movies simply because it has likeable characters, easily read commentary and a simple story. The uncomplicated face-value mentality that Tom Hanks brings across is something I anaylize whenever the movie comes to mind, and how many of the character's methodologies are ones I'd like to mirror, demonstrating how much unnecessary cruft is and has been fabricated in modern society. Although it's a bit less extreme than the juxtaposition may seem, this could be a film equivalent to Fahrenheit 451 in how the social commentary gets more relevant with time. Definitely a good watch.

1 - Schindler's List

Words can't describe this film for what it is as a complete whole, in the same way World War II could not be summarized in any clean or cheerful fashion. Liam Neeson's performance as the most kickass businessman who ever lived and could probably get in a fair fistfight against Norman Borlaug (except Borlaug never went against any Nazis, so there) and his quest to try and make a profit by using Jews as slaves during WWII, and ends up having a change of heart and saving over 1000 from certain death.
This movie has the distinction of being among the only four Entertainment things that have ever made me cry openly. The ending always hits me like a punch in the gut, and the words Schindler speaks will haunt my thoughts on life forever. Everything about the movie technically speaking is perfect. The performances are punctual and strong, everyone is well characterized and written, the cinematography is beautiful, and the minimalistic usage of music strikes just here-and-there enough to make it feel so painfully complete, the horror and the beauty that is the story told. Of course the whole thing is, based on a true story. Spielburg actually made the film among other reasons, because of Holocaust deniers and the rise of Neo-Nazism after the fall of the Berlin Wall, and it protrays it so shockingly well that the main antagonist Amon Goeth is actually downplayed for the screen. The film is quite literally as easy to watch as numerous people being shot in the head before your eyes, but it carries a message of hope beyond any other and I commend it for that. But again, it's hard to watch. Out of all the films on this top ten, Schindler's List I've seen the fewest times, which would be twice.
So high and so low the emotions roll, the movie cannot be seen, it must be experienced.

________________________________________________________________________________

Runners up:

11- Singing in the Rainimage
The perfect smiles on everyone's faces, the simpicity and cleanliness of the story and universe, it all just gleams like too much chrome. It and the Music Man (or the HMS Pinafore) are all excellent reasons why chidlren should be exposed to fun-oriented musicals at an early age. Unfortunately this marvellous performance of Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor got beat out mostly because I saw the Music Man before this classic.
Sorry Gene.
12- The Iron Giantimage
Brad Bird's first full film, which never got all the publicity or fame it deserved. It's about as action-packed as the Incredibles and carries the same amount of narrative peaks and valleys of fun and emotion. You'd be hard pressed to say it's a lazy movie.
However the stylization and fun is so well crafted that it cost the strength of the story a bit, so it's lobsided in that effect. The main reason this movie wasn't on the top ten was because it was pushed off by other movies I thought about.
13- Back to the Futureimage
Great Scott, what a wacky bunch of fun and straightforward awesomeness to watch is why I excuse how many times people swear in this film (which is not something many people remember). But from the moment five dozen clocks christen 8 o'clock to the last second of a Mr. Fusion being on-screen, its an awesome adventure through Anytown America across time and space.
But the Dark Knight was just that much cooler that it didn't make it into the top.
14- Children of Menimage
Children of Men has I think, the sixth or fifth best story out of all sixteen films on this thread post, but how the people in it are characterized I don't hold as strong enough to justify the extent of the dismal universe it conveys, or the cynical/optimistic was it a happy ending? ending.
Personally I think everything turns out great after the end. Overall an excellent thrill ride that in the end strengthens whatever emotion you're at when you're neutral.
15- Half-Life 2image
Sadly disqualified for not being a movie.
Close enough though, did better than Master & Commander, and it does not lose points for having a silent protagonist.
If they ever made a Half Life 2 movie, I would in fact take away points for making Gordon talk.

________________________________________________________________________________

Other Things that are Ranked:

Most Awarded Director: Tied for First- Steven Spielberg and Hayao Myazaki, followed by Robert Zemeckis and Brad Bird (w/ Runners up)

Most Awarded Genre: Adventure (7), followed by Action (3)

Most Awarded Musical Producer: John Williams (4), followed by Joe Hisaishi (2)

Most Awarded Decade of Film: 2000s, followed by 1990s

Biggest Budget: The Dark Knight (USD $185,000,000)

Smallest Budget: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (USD $18,000,000)

Favorite Actors Present: Morgon Freeman as "Red" (Shawshank Redemption), Liam Neeson as "Oskar Schindler" (Schindler's List), Craig T. Nelson as "Robert 'Mr. Incredible' Parr" (The Incredibles), Paige O'Hara as "Belle" (Beauty & the Beast)

Favorite Actors not Present: Jeremy Irons as anyone (anytime)
seriously I really wanted him to make the cut but I didn't like Eragon, and The Mission or The Lion King weren't good enough.

Biggest Violation of Physics: Back to the Future

Most Heartwarming Ending: Tied for first Schindler's List and

Greatest Usage of Trains for Cinematographic Reasons: Tied for first Schindler's List, The Music Man and Spirited Away.

Most Common First Word in the Title: "The" (6)

Most Imaginative Usage of the Word "God": Princess Mononoke

Most Gratuitous Usage of the Word "Belgium": Probably Spirited Away. I don't know.

A pretty eclectic mix here :D

Not a fan of Fight Club? that film is always cemented quite highly in my personal top 10

While well made, Fight Club never struck me as an awesome movie in my mind.

Wow, well made, sir, there is so little I can disagree with here.
Well, maybe one thing. I really, really dislike Spirited Away, for some reason.
Also, if you want to include Jeremy Irons, I can only recommend Die Hard With A Vengeance or something. He was awesome in there - like really awesome.
Also, Forrest Gump is also in my top 5 - probably the third after The Rock and Groundhog Day, so cheers, I guess.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my love for The Terminal. I really don't know what I love about that film but I have seen it so many times and I still like it.

Great film.

Interesting and diverse mix there, well made and all very good films even if some aren't my personal tastes. Since I'm bored I think I'll go check out some of your other stuff.

What about Lion king? Anyways good list and I'm not really a fan of Spirited Away either. And I really must check out Schindler's List cause that's the movie I didn't check out yet and I like the actor Liam Neeson.

alot of your top ten I haven't actually seen, (5,4 and 3) i'm guessing they are pretty good and if given the chance i'll try and give them a look.

But what I did take from this is how much I want to watch Iron Giant again, I really did like that movie. Superman :)

I can never watch Singing in the Rain now thanks to Clockwork Orange. I'm surprised that Fight Club isn't up there but hey, film (like most things) is subjective. I, for example, love the film Repo Men, especially the ending as that really struck a chord, but I'm told by others that it's rubbish.

Stranger of Sorts:
I can never watch Singing in the Rain now thanks to Clockwork Orange. I'm surprised that Fight Club isn't up there but hey, film (like most things) is subjective. I, for example, love the film Repo Men, especially the ending as that really struck a chord, but I'm told by others that it's rubbish.

Guess I won't watch it then.
Trite as it may seem, I don't much like sad endings.

This reminds me that I need to rewatch Shawshank. It's such a great film. I've never got around to making a top 10, I find top 3s easier because I'm dealing with less to order at once, so I just get my very favourite. None of the three are in here, but still an agreeable list based on the films in it that I've seen.

For the use of trains, you should watch "The Train".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/

Lacks Blade Runner. Or The Fifth Element even.

Zer_:
Lacks Blade Runner. Or The Fifth Element even.

The appeal of cyberpunk never really caught me.

Thee Prisoner:
For the use of trains, you should watch "The Train".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/

Heard of it, want to see it, haven't gotten around to it.

domble:

Not a fan of Fight Club? that film is always cemented quite highly in my personal top 10

U BROKE THE FIRST RULE OF FIGHT CLUB

Very broad and interesting list. Good choices.

Trezu:

domble:

U BROKE THE FIRST RULE OF FIGHT CLUB

Yeah but I was bitter about not being accepted for Project Mayhem. Two and a half days I waited, not a sausage. Now I tell EVERYONE.

It's strange how you include Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, but not Grave Of The Fireflies. Either you haven't seen it, or you are insane :P If the first one applies, do so asap.

Also, The Incredibles struck me as a weird choice instead of, say, Wall-E or Up. As for the rest of the films, no objections, they are good although I wouldn't include any of them in my own top 10.

Carnagath:
It's strange how you include Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, but not Grave Of The Fireflies. Either you haven't seen it, or you are insane :P If the first one applies, do so asap.

It's sort of like the animated version of Schindler's List from what I understand, in terms of how it tugs the heartstrings, so I'm building up courage.
-It took me months before I watched List.

Good list. I can't believe other people like Spirited Away, it's a fantastic movie.

Schindler's List, being a number one film, is rather telling about someone.

People that (have relatives that I know) are usually prone to not going into detail about the horrors that were this time.

Best movie award should goto something else.

If this is your top ten movie of all time......

Never mind.

Good luck to you!

Vodka Dude:

People that (have relatives that I know) are usually prone to not going into detail about the horrors that were this time.

Best movie award should goto something else.

If this is your top ten movie of all time......

Never mind.

Good luck to you!

The movie is right in portraying the SS as a grotesquery of humanity, but I think how it demonstrates Schindler as being a dynamic character going from cynical and greedy to selfless defender is an excellent one.

I myself am a Mennonite, a descendant of some of the people who would have been persecuted in those days, if not by Germany by Russia.

Since you like both The Dark Knight and Shawshank Redemption, here's the greatest Robot Chicken (Personally, I hate the show) sketch ever if you haven't seen it-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138x9MCUjE0

When I first scrolled down the list and saw The Dark Knight, my first thought was "Oh great, this is just gonna be the same list of 'great' films I've seen people spout out a million times before."

And to be fair, I was almost right. They were nearly all there - you had Shindler's List, The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, and The Dark Knight. You were just a Fight Club away from having the same set of overrated (in my opinion) movies that everyone lists among their all-time favourites.

But you also surprised me with some of your other choices - there was quite an interesting mix in there. For example, I never expected The Terminal to rank among anyone's top 10, despite being a great movie. And, while Spirited Away isn't uncommon to see mentioned, you also put in Princess Mononoke - my personal favourite Ghibli movie, which is often overlooked.

I'm curious why you chose The Incredibles though. I know it's a very good movie, but it's nowhere near the best Pixar movie around - I would have put something like Toy Story in before even considering it.

Nice list overall - I now have a few new films that I need to find and watch after seeing them listed here.

Vodka Dude:

Not really - a ridiculous amount of people list it as one of their favourite movies.
And as of right now, it holds the number 7 spot in IMDb's top 250.

Never cared too much for it myself.

Anarchemitis:

Children of Men has I think, the sixth or fifth best story out of all sixteen films on this thread post, but how the people in it are characterized I don't hold as strong enough to justify the extent of the dismal universe it conveys, or the cynical/optimistic was it a happy ending? ending.
Personally I think everything turns out great after the end. Overall an excellent thrill ride that in the end strengthens whatever emotion you're at when you're neutral.

watched children of men yesterday - its a documentary of what will happen if the BNP gets in power [uk joke]
excellent film with great characterisation and growth. very long takes, with the equivilent of a mod war mission in ONE take
if you enjoy films and your eyes arent lodged in your **** then go and see this

My goodness, I do not like most of those movies. I really do not like Princess Mononoke. I'm surprised there isn't any Kubrick in there, but that's really only because he's one of my favourites.

The Cheezy One:

Anarchemitis:

watched children of men yesterday - its a documentary of what will happen if the BNP gets in power [uk joke]

We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Eh, this list lacks variety, but I will admit these are some good films. Especially Princess Mononoke and Star Wars Episode V. But the fact that you have 2 movies by the same director (Miyazaki) and 4 animated films overall, eh. No Kubrick, P.T. or Wes Anderson. No Gilliam or Scorcese, Oliver Stone or Coen Brothers. It's just not very good... sorry :(

I don't want to be at your house on movie night.

Thanks for sharing tho.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked