Anime Reviews: Ghost in the Shell 2.0

NOTE: This review is based entirely on the movie version of Ghost in the Shell. No refrence is made to Stand Alone Complex or 2nd GIG. However, they do kick ass. Some images in this review will also contain brief, non sexualised nudity.

Time to go down the good old route of nostalgia, with my first ever 'proper' anime, Ghost in the Shell.

I first saw Ghost in the Shell probably around three or four years ago, and I really liked it. Browsing through my Xbox Live video marketplace the other night, I saw they had recently added the remastered, high definition version of Ghost in the Shell, otherwise known as 2.0. Don't be fooled, this is not the sequel, but simply a remastering. I coughed up the the 500 odd points and decided to visit some childhood memories. Was it as good as I remembered? Well.. Not really.

But first, some basic plot information. Ghost in the Shell takes place in the year 2029, in a future where the world is connected by an electronic network, pretty much a super advanced internet. In Tokyo, a group known as Section 9 who monitor the network are after the nefarious hacker, known only as the Puppet Master. Leader of this manhunt is a cyborg known as Major Motoko Kusanagi, or more simply known as The Major.

This beith the lady

So that's the basic premise. However, the film isn't too keen on exposition. It pretty much throws you into a deep lake and expects you to swim to the bottom. It is what I could also call the 'Akira' approach to anime storytelling, in which at least a little background knowledge is needed to fully grasp onto the film from the get-go. Even with the background knowledge, the film is all over the place. There's a twist at the mid way point of the movie which is never properly explained and just comes out of nowhere.

The characters populating the narrative aren't really interesting enough to support the, at times, incomprehensible plot. A big deal is made out of the Majors struggle with being a human trapped in a cyborgs body, but this is only really brought up at the films conclusion and in a few sprinkled conversations, but I didn't really care enough about her for her internal struggles to mean anything. To be brutally honest, the rest of the characters could just be cardboard cutouts that are propped up against a nearby wall and speak now and again. They have little to no depth.

What depth could maybe have been restored to these characters is lost in the mediocre English dub. The Xbox Live rental did not give the option to have Japanese with subtitles, so I was left with the English dub. While not downright abysmal, pretty much every character sounds flat and uninterested. There is no real emotion to any of the performances.

Other elements of sound design almost compensate for the lousy dub though. The soundtrack is sparse, but when there is music it is very good. Not astounding, but it suits the tone of the movie well, and in the remastered mix, sounded crystal clear.

Speaking of the remastering, if you happen to be a fan of the film and haven't seen this new remastering, check it out. It's not simply a touch up here and there, they have gone all out to bring this 15 year old film some new life.

Just check out this amazing compare shot (2.0 on top, original on bottom)

It looks amazing, and I am a whore for good art design. As a visual experience, Ghost in the Shell 2.0 is incredible, with silky smooth animation, backgrounds and intricate detail and it's a shame that the movie is so short because I could have easily kept staring at it for another hour or so.

And that's the inherit problem with Ghost in the Shell; it's too damn short. Excluding opening and closing credits, Ghost in the Shell clocks in at under 80 minutes. It is clear the story the creators wanted to tell should not be compressed into anything under 80 minutes, but it was anyway, and this is what really hurts the film. Another 20 minutes for some clearer exposition would have gone so far to making the film simply more accessable and coherent. As it is, it's jumbled beyond belief.

So, how did my trip down Nostalgia lane go? It was an interesting experience. What I will give Ghost in the Shell 2.0 is this; it looks amazing. My eyes enjoyed every second of what was being presented to me on screen, but my brain itself wasn't too fond of the compressed plot that really does not flow smoothly at all.

If you're a fan of good art design and luscious visuals, give it a look, especially the remaster. However, if you're bigger on story and characters you will feel dissapointed by this film, as on both fronts it is weak, which is a shame as with just some more time it could have been so much more.

A good review; this was actually the first anime I ever saw, so naturally I also thought it was the business first time I saw it. I haven't seen it in a few years though, so I might check it out again to see how it holds up. I guess at the time I hadn't seen much that even touched on deeper themes like the nature of a soul and cyborgs, so it was pretty ground breaking for me.
I'm sure many would have a similar experience as you have, I can barely even remember the characters now.

Edit: My post count is sequential now! Is this relevant at all? Hell no!

Outright Villainy:
A good review; this was actually the first anime I ever saw, so naturally I also thought it was the business first time I saw it. I haven't seen it in a few years though, so I might check it out again to see how it holds up. I guess at the time I hadn't seen much that even touched on deeper themes like the nature of a soul and cyborgs, so it was pretty ground breaking for me.
I'm sure many would have a similar experience as you have, I can barely even remember the characters now.

Edit: My post count is sequential now! Is this relevant at all? Hell no!

Thanks, man :). I've talked to a lot of people who saw this as their first 'mature' anime. It seems to be the one that draws most people in, along with Spirited Away. If you're going to check it out again definately pick up 2.0, as it really is like watching a whole other movie at points, in terms of visuals.

And now you must never post again, in case you break the magic number.

The movie is far too short for what it tries to explore. I love the themes, story and characters of the series but the film can't give them the attention they deserve in 80 minutes.

Hm, I'll have to get my grubby hands on this 2.0 thing... As a fan of the comics, the movies, and the cartoons, I can't believe I didn't even know about this until now.

About the shortness... Yeah, it is indeed lacking in some areas when taken on its own. It dives headfirst into certain really cool ideas, but gives too little background information to fully appreciate it. It also ignores some vital parts that make the comics and the cartoons so enjoyable (like the entire supporting cast, the think-tanks, etc). It's more an exercise in atmosphere with some interesting pseudo-philosophical themes, but it leaves a lot of question marks when taken on its own. When seen in the bigger picture, with the comics and/or the cartoons in the back of your mind, it really shines. But as you mentioned right at the start, those aren't taken into consideration for this review.

Nonetheless, when taken on its own it's still an impressive movie, even for just soaking in the brilliant atmosphere it creates. I saw the movie before I saw any of the other stories, and even without extensive knowledge of the background it's still an interesting story. It helps that many of the areas left blank can be mentally filled without damaging the story and ideas at the core of it.

Hurr Durr Derp:
Hm, I'll have to get my grubby hands on this 2.0 thing... As a fan of the comics, the movies, and the cartoons, I can't believe I didn't even know about this until now.

About the shortness... Yeah, it is indeed lacking in some areas when taken on its own. It dives headfirst into certain really cool ideas, but gives too little background information to fully appreciate it. It also ignores some vital parts that make the comics and the cartoons so enjoyable (like the entire supporting cast, the think-tanks, etc). It's more an exercise in atmosphere with some interesting pseudo-philosophical themes, but it leaves a lot of question marks when taken on its own. When seen in the bigger picture, with the comics and/or the cartoons in the back of your mind, it really shines. But as you mentioned right at the start, those aren't taken into consideration for this review.

Nonetheless, when taken on its own it's still an impressive movie, even for just soaking in the brilliant atmosphere it creates. I saw the movie before I saw any of the other stories, and even without extensive knowledge of the background it's still an interesting story. It helps that many of the areas left blank can be mentally filled without damaging the story and ideas at the core of it.

I decided to write the review as if writing for someone who was unfamiliar with canon etc, as the movie is more or less a stand alone piece of the universe. I agree that if taken with the anime series and more specifically the manga it makes more sense and flows a bit nicer. I also agree the atmosphere is good, but the pseudo-philisophical themes never get beyond interesting, as they seem rushed and not as polished as they are in the manga.

I watched the movie a while ago. While the art was great, the plot was rather confusing. All in all i prefer the first movie by far.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked