Villagers and Heroes- F2P Reviews

I have played a lot of games, and I mean a lot. Mostly MMO's in fact. I have never seen one so undiverse, with no depth, and riddled with bugs as this one.

To start off, you are placed in some Hollow place, where you have to kill wolves for a lady (which might I add may be difficult), this is the start of a almost 1 1/2 hour tutorial where you do unuseful things, such as gather wood, just so you can walk over five feet and make a bow that you proceed to take to some guy and he gives you a better one, thus making the bow you spend ten minutes on useless. You can learn to cook, or brew alcoholic beverages, by shaking a tree and a few button clicks. The tutorial is long, basic, uninteresting a crueling and teaches you absolutely nothing useful about the actual game.

Let's talk a little more about the crafting. While the crafting is much like Guild Wars 2's "Click, UI pops up, click on what you want, some time passes, item pops out" it is actually very immersive in the fact that your crafting is nearly unlimited. It goes to a very high point and you can basically craft any weapon, armor or anything else you want if you have the materials

Characters. It should make you angry . A priest, hunter, warrior and mage. REALLY. You couldn't have at least tried to come up with one ORIGINAL class. It's really not that hard. Just make a hunter with a special twist, but NOOOOOOO, no originality in this game. There is nothing original about any of the classes, they do the same thing that they do in every game. To add to the unoriginal characters, they have their own "Talents" where you put your points when you level up. There is only around 12 places to actually put your talent points. Then you just keep putting them into the same ones, "upgrading" the talent.

While the talents are not abundant, the skills are. Woodcutting, Plant lore, and fishing are just a couple. They all have unique perks and as you level up you get "Achievements" which gives you some in game money to spend. This is useful not only from a money standpoint, but also from a resource standpoint, you don't just grind mobs for money. Sadly, the fish are just recolors of another fish for the most part.

Combat. Combat is a copy paste of WoW, just like the rest of this game. You click, and your character auto-attacks, you can use your 1-0 keys to aid with your various skills that unlock over time. Combat is nothing special, and pretty bland. Once you kill an enemy, your loot fly fifty feet into the air and spews all over the place. Annoying. And if you help someone kill another monster, and you aren't in the same party, then you might not get the loot. To top it all off, all the quests are "Go kill X amount of _____ animal. Come back to me when you did it." it's just a "grind" to the death.

Let's talk about graphics & UI. The graphics aren't that great, after all this is 2014. This game honestly looks like the old Spyro games. I went to add my friend to the friends list (if they had one, I didn't know if they did). I searched the menu until I found the friends list, only to find that there is no search. You have to go and FIND your friend in order to add them. When you find them they have to hold still so you can "inspect" them and then move to the top of the screen to add them. It's a bother.

Quests. I have gone briefly over quests in the tutorial section of this segment, BUT let me elaborate. The main quest line is hardly thrown together. Side quests are repetitive, and even some of them DON'T EVEN WORK. You can't complete some of the quests. Not once have I ever seen an MMO where you can't complete a quest. Sometimes you can't even talk to the person who gave you the quest in the first place.

Glitches. They are like your BFF in this game. There are too many. Everywhere you look you may get stuck in a building or fall through the map or something else that should not happen. As previously mentioned you might not be able to speak to the person you need to either.

Map. The map is not open, it's just a bunch of miniscule, pre-defined maps, with pre-defined spawns. In order to go to another part of the world you go to some teleporter that isn't explained at all and is kind of just there. It's not open or free at all. You feel confined to a small space in every map.

Cliche. There is a central city with all the merchants and teleporters to a whole bunch of different parts of the map. Every F2P MMO has the "Main City" where you get all your crap and meet up with your friends. Try something new if you... oh wait, there is onthing NEW in this ENTIRE game. With the teleporters there is also lag as it generates, so that is useless.

Now let's take a nice little look at the ratings of this game.

Graphics- 2.5, welcome to the 1990's where there were no graphics but boxes. Oh, and fake looking huts.

Story- 3, Thrown together by a three year old, I see no connections whatsoever to each character you go to other than where they live

Gameplay- 1, This game is so broken it is no fun to play

Mechanics- 3, It is playable, but it looks as if it should not be released, almost like it is early ALPHA. The controls are clunky and finicky.

Replay Value- 0, don't even bother to play it.

Soundtrack- 9, THE ONE THING THAT IS GOOD!! They have a nice soundtrack, suits the towns.

Overall: 3, This game isn't worth the time. It was so terrible I couldn't bear to play it the full 5 hours I promise to do before a review. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME!

Thank you for being brutally truthful. Maybe it will prevent someone else from wasting money on this game. Believe it or not it was actually a fun game at one time. An awesome online community made up for the lack of graphics and story line. We began loosing members after joining Steam. Through no fault of Steam, the developers of V&H became arrogant after teaming up with Steam. I suppose they felt they no longer needed the financial support of the players to survive. Whatever the reason is was a terrible mistake on the part of the developers. The first thing they did was decide to "upgrade" the graphics. This meant that a lot of loyal and long time fans could no longer play because their computers wouldn't support the new format. The official response by the devs was sorry to see you go but it's progress. Their so called progress included a drastic reduction in frame rate, horrible lag, and frequent disconnects, along with the loss of many players who had been with the game for years. Since that time it's been one disaster after another as the devs continuously release one patch after another, and of course a series of patches following those to try and fix the ever increasing bugs created by the previous updates. The real problems are never fixed and many times the devs even blame them on the players, saying it's their fault the frame rate is bad or that they get disconnected frequently. I've been with the game long enough to see the online community dwindle to nothing on a good day. The latest patch that has done the most damage involved changes to character builds that ended up costing players a lot of real money and game gold to redo armor and weapons. The response from the devs when players began complaining was that they need to adjust to the changes and would eventually learn to like it. Sadly there was no honest effort to compensate players for the enormous cost to redo their builds and re craft gear. You either had to spend more money to fix the problem or leave the game. Needless to say many more players left shortly after and haven't returned. As someone who's wasted a lot of money over the years, it's good to see that someone is writing a serious and honest review to warn others about this game.

Thank you for being brutally truthful. Maybe it will prevent someone else from wasting money on this game. Believe it or not it was actually a fun game at one time. An awesome online community made up for the lack of graphics and story line. We began loosing members after joining Steam. Through no fault of Steam, the developers of V&H became arrogant after teaming up with Steam. I suppose they felt they no longer needed the financial support of the players to survive. Whatever the reason is was a terrible mistake on the part of the developers. The first thing they did was decide to "upgrade" the graphics. This meant that a lot of loyal and long time fans could no longer play because their computers wouldn't support the new format. The official response by the devs was sorry to see you go but it's progress. Their so called progress included a drastic reduction in frame rate, horrible lag, and frequent disconnects, along with the loss of many players who had been with the game for years. Since that time it's been one disaster after another as the devs continuously release one patch after another, and of course a series of patches following those to try and fix the ever increasing bugs created by the previous updates. The real problems are never fixed and many times the devs even blame them on the players, saying it's their fault the frame rate is bad or that they get disconnected frequently. I've been with the game long enough to see the online community dwindle to nothing on a good day. The latest patch that has done the most damage involved changes to character builds that ended up costing players a lot of real money and game gold to redo armor and weapons. The response from the devs when players began complaining was that they need to adjust to the changes and would eventually learn to like it. Sadly there was no honest effort to compensate players for the enormous cost to redo their builds and re craft gear. You either had to spend more money to fix the problem or leave the game. Needless to say many more players left shortly after and haven't returned. As someone who's wasted a lot of money over the years, it's good to see that someone is writing a serious and honest review to warn others about this game.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked