Nintendo share a video where Shigeru Miyamoto & Illumination CEO Chris Meledandri thank fans for the success of The Super Mario Bros Movie.

Shigeru Miyamoto & Illumination CEO Thank Fans for Insane Success of Mario Movie

Nintendo has released a short video to social media in which Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Illumination CEO Chris Meledandri thank the fans for the absolutely insane financial success of The Super Mario Bros Movie, which has garnered more than $1.3 billion at the box office. The thank-you video does not really tease what’s next from the Nintendo-Illumination collaboration, but never in human history has it been more obvious that a movie is going to receive a sequel than right here.

Recommended Videos

The Super Mario Bros Movie is the first film with which Nintendo was directly involved in production,” said Miyamoto. “We feel very fortunate that so many people around the world have watched this movie. Thank you all so much. We hope you’ll continue cheering for Mario’s team. Thank you.”

“The response to The Super Mario Bros Movie has been beyond my wildest imagination,” said Meledandri. “In my entire career, I’ve never witnessed such passionate, engaged, and excited fans. As a result of the fans championing the film, many more people around the globe have now discovered the magic of Mario. I want to thank you all for supporting this film with such great enthusiasm.”

So yeah, Shigeru Miyamoto and Chris Meledandri say thank you for watching their billion-dollar Mario movie. Meanwhile, industry insider Jeff Sneider recently reported that Universal is close to closing a deal with Nintendo to create a movie out of The Legend of Zelda, which he presumed to be with Illumination. However, Meledandri then came out and said that Illumination is working on no such a project, so Sneider then backpedaled to say that the deal with Universal more broadly is still correct, even if it isn’t actually with Illumination.

It doesn’t take a stretch of the imagination to think a Zelda movie could be coming, whether animated or in live action. But you can bet your family’s lives that there will be an animated sequel to The Super Mario Bros Movie from Illumination.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Are Prime Sentinels?
Bolivar Trask's Prime Sentinel form in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Is the OZT?
Rogue looking at screens with the OZT logo in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article Furiosa: Is Tom Hardy in the Mad Max: Fury Road Prequel?
Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky in Mad Max: Fury Road
Related Content
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Are Prime Sentinels?
Bolivar Trask's Prime Sentinel form in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Is the OZT?
Rogue looking at screens with the OZT logo in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article Furiosa: Is Tom Hardy in the Mad Max: Fury Road Prequel?
Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky in Mad Max: Fury Road
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.