The Crown of Albion (Closed/Started)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Welcome to Crown of Albion. This RP is a Medieval Fantasy RP loosely based on Arthurian Mythology. I'm going for sort of a mashup of numerous different sources - this is definitively not set on any Earth like the one we know. The Roman Empire still exists, magic is feared but known, and fourteenth century technology coexists with Saxon invaders.

In this story, Arthur has recently been slain at the Battle of Camlann fields, and the Knights of the Round Table have been decimated with only a single survivor, Sir Bedivere. Arthur's bastard son Mordred, believed dead at Camlann, has risen from the ashes of the battle to claim the Kingship and by unknown means has cowed the majority of the fiefs to bow to him.

Those that oppose are being crushed, and the only hope for Britain lies on a young squire named Constantine, the son of Cador, Arthur's cousin and the last true heir of the Pendragon line. Bedivere and Constantine have joined together and hope to build a new Round Table to overthrow Mordred and restore justice to Britain.

You are one of the men and women, Knights and Druids, Mercenaries and Warlocks driven against the corrupt King Mordred, for reasons known only to yourself.

More details of the backstory are in Spoilers.

I'd like to at least get -some- feedback on this, so I'm going to bump it once.

Interesting. If I'm able, I may get a sheet going sometime soon.

Personally, I don't think there's an issue with what you've proposed. You've put good deal more detail than alot of people start with and it's all founded on a solid base.

Unfortunately, however unfair it may seem, you have only joined this forum very recently. Creating and roleplaying a character is a large investment and players are generally unwilling to risk having a GM who might only be passing through the site. Not saying you would do that, but from my own point of view I'd rather go with a GM who's been around for a while, even just as a regular player on another RP, so I know they won't disappear a couple of weeks into the RP.

I had the same problem when I tried to start RP hear to. The people who RP on the escapist tend to take it pretty seriously and dont want to take the time to risk on newcomers. Ill give you the same advice some one gave me.

join an open game and go from there.

That said im always up for RP on IM.

i hate it when you join someone whos been here long and then they disappear.

this is interesting though.

I understand. That said, I don't have any intention of shuffling off here any time soon, so if you'd prefer to remain in a state of 'Cautious Optimism', say, for the next two weeks and then we can consider getting started?

Well, me not being one to dismiss newcomers that readily (I had your number of posts when I started RPing this time last year), if you get a decent player base you can put me down as interested.

what zango said.

Well I at least am willing to give this a shot. (not that my presence is worth much) Nothing ventured nothing gained, eh?

Out of curiosity, I suppose it's safe to assume that Sir Gawain also died at Camlann Fields. For someone often refereed to as one of the greatest knights of the round table he tends to get forgotten a lot these days. Ah well, that's a rant for another day.

Actually, no. Gawain's current location is unknown, along with Galahad, Bors, Percival, and Lancelot. Galahad, Bors, and Percival ventured to find the Holy Grail and never returned to Camelot. Lancelot renounced his Knighthood and wandered to find redemption for his betrayals. Gawain remained in the north following Arthur's battle with the Saxons to weed out any remaining threats. He is actually going to be a fairly significant part of the plot.

Working on a character, but I have a question: How exactly will magic work here? Will I be able to sweep enemies aside with a wave of my arm, will the reciting of incantations be required, maybe both? For that matter, does it vary depending on race?

I'd like to avoid having a Warlock or Enchanter overshadow the more physical members of the party. Magic doesn't really work as a "I cast a mighty fireball" kind of thing. A skilled Magic-User - and for the record, the difference between a Witch, a Warlock, a Wizard, an Enchanter, and a Sorcerer mostly amounts to what kind of hat they wear - can do a lot of things, but most of them don't have battlefield-changing potential.

A few examples of the kind of things you'd see a Wizard doing - seeing the future or the past, seeing a distant place - all of which require various tools, like inscribed bones, tarot cards, and tea leaves being your best bet, the Crystal Ball being unreliable and often hazardous, albeit significantly less open to interpretation. Things they could do in a fight would be conjuring mists, disguising themselves or others as trees, bushes, rocks, etc for a time, rallying local animals to battle, etc. An Enchanter can do much more impressive things with preparations - open portals to Faerie, Hell, and elsewhere, conjure Demons and dominate their minds, set off an avalanche or sinkhole, and so on.

There's a ton more you can do, but just be inventive and if you're curious, PM me.

Reciting of incantations is necessary in powerful rituals, but not in relatively simple tasks.

It does not matter what race you are. Magic is more a skill than a power, although most people's minds are too rigid to be able to use it.

I am definitely interested. Can you hold a spot for me?

The Zango:
If you get a decent player base you can put me down as interested.

What exactly constitutes a 'decent player base'?

He may be a little off-piste. See what you think.

I like it, but please alter the end there. Constantine is still on the run, and I'd like to RP through all of our first meetings with him.

Here you go

PrinceOfShapeir:
Actually, no. Gawain's current location is unknown, along with Galahad, Bors, Percival, and Lancelot. Galahad, Bors, and Percival ventured to find the Holy Grail and never returned to Camelot. Lancelot renounced his Knighthood and wandered to find redemption for his betrayals. Gawain remained in the north following Arthur's battle with the Saxons to weed out any remaining threats. He is actually going to be a fairly significant part of the plot.

Surprising considering his more traditional end. Ah well, Character!

There we go. I decided to mix legends a bit, hope it's nothing too corrupting.

Very, very nice. Approved.

And yeah, don't worry about fudging the legends a bit, I already took those out back and did inappropriate things to them when Mordred won the war.

I've gotta be honest, I love this. I'm on a pretty big RP binge, but I'm fairly tired at the moment. Hold me a spot, I'll work on a sheet and edit it into this post a little later. Really, great job on this whole thing - I love the setting, and kudos on working up the determination to type all this up and GM an RP.

Tell me if I've got anything wrong in the setting. Eager to do this.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Very, very nice. Approved.

And yeah, don't worry about fudging the legends a bit, I already took those out back and did inappropriate things to them when Mordred won the war.

Am I in?

Yes, you're both in.

Here you go.

Let me know if there are any problems.

"along with tens of thousands of others and only a handful of others"

I'm confused with that sentence.

Anyway, This looks great, in school at the moment but i can put up a sheet later on tonight, ill edit it into this post.

I need to add this to my character sheet. I was debating whether or not to include it but I figured after seeing the other sheets that this would help solidify Marcus as the "Moral anchor"

Pandalisk:

Anyway, This looks great, in school at the moment but i can put up a sheet later on tonight, ill edit it into this post.

"...along with tens of thousands of others and only a handful of survivors" perhaps?

That was what was meant, yes. Edited to make more sense. And alterations approved.

ThreeWords:

Pandalisk:

"...along with tens of thousands of others and only a handful of survivors" perhaps?

Twas my thought as well.

Do you want me to make a User Group so you can focus on GMing?

Sure, go ahead.

Well, a friend (Benndak) just showed me this thread, and I have to say, it looks quite interesting. I'll gladly join in.

Full disclosure - the repeating crossbow is intended to be as gun-like as possible, to the point that I'm not sure it's technically a repeating crossbow. If it's a little too gun-like, I can change it. Also, the character's homeland is China. I don't think that'll be a problem, but just in case: if it's too out-of-place, I'm fine with altering it, as well.

I like the character. You're in.

I'm going to be in Costa Rica 'till Wednesday. If we end up starting before then, feel free to start without me, just hold off on the intro scenes with Zhe and Gwyther since they're essentially their own sub-party at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Alright, assuming no objections, this will begin on Tuesday. Wednesday, this will be closed up. For the moment however, we have open slots if anyone else is interested.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked