News You Might’ve Missed on 1/14/21: Super Nintendo World Opening Delayed, Sonic Joins Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, & More

Video game news 1/14/21: Super Nintendo World opening delayed, Sonic joins Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, Nintendo New Year Sale on the Switch eShop

Today, there was plenty of video game news, like the announcement that Sonic the Hedgehog has been added as a playable character to Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. We also received word that the grand opening of Super Nintendo World has been delayed, there is a big Nintendo Switch eShop sale going, and more. Here’s the video game news you might’ve missed on Jan. 14, 2021.

Recommended Videos

Sonic the Hedgehog Joins Puyo Puyo Tetris 2

Today, Sega announced that Sonic the Hedgehog has been added as a playable character to Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 — along with Lidelle, Ms. Accord, and the Ocean Prince. Also included is new music, avatars, and a Boss Raid. Players can enjoy the Boss Raid mode in online co-op, with the goal of taking down a difficult boss. Check out Sonic’s new Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 trailer below!

Save on a Ton of Switch Games as Part of the eShop’s New Year Sale

Starting today, the Nintendo Switch eShop has a slew of discounts on many heavy hitters as part of the New Year Sale. This sale is good until Jan. 21 and features discounts on Clubhouse Games, Super Mario Maker 2, Immortals Fenyx Rising, the aforementioned Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, Yoshi’s Crafted World, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, and more! Most of the discounts are around 20% to 30% off, so it’s worth checking out.

Read More: Sales & Deals

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Update Adds Over 100 Changes

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla has just been updated to version 1.1.1., featuring over 100 changes — including fixes for Achievements, balancing, quest improvements, and more. The update comes in at around 2GB – 7.5GB depending on platform and is free to all players. Later in spring 2021, Valhalla will get the Wrath of the Druids expansion, which sends players to Ireland to investigate a cult.

Read More: Ubisoft has deployed a huge update for Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla

The Medium Gets New Live-Action Trailer

The Medium has received a new live-action trailer courtesy of Bloober Team, and it’s just as creepy as you might expect. The trailer focuses on the game’s main hook — two realities that impact one another as you traverse and solve puzzles between the two. This psychological horror game has been in the works for nearly a decade and will come exclusively to Xbox Series X | S and PC on Jan. 28.

Japan’s Super Nintendo World Opening Delayed

As announced by Universal Studios Japan, the grand opening of Super Nintendo World has been delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was originally supposed to open on Feb. 4, but it has been postponed indefinitely as Japan struggles with a massive spike in COVID-19 cases in Osaka, where the theme park is located. This has led to a state of emergency, but as Universal Studios Japan notes, the park will open some time after it’s lifted.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article MW3 Season 3 Roadmap Teases New Maps & Crossovers
MW3 Season 3 skins.
Read Article Sony & Marvel Drop Spider-Verse Short Film to Support Youth Mental Health Awareness
Read Article Golden Girls Reboot Hoax Has Launched a Delightfully Ridiculous TV Recasting Meme
Related Content
Read Article MW3 Season 3 Roadmap Teases New Maps & Crossovers
MW3 Season 3 skins.
Read Article Sony & Marvel Drop Spider-Verse Short Film to Support Youth Mental Health Awareness
Read Article Golden Girls Reboot Hoax Has Launched a Delightfully Ridiculous TV Recasting Meme
Author
Joseph Yaden
I'm Joseph! I love Nintendo and horror games. When I'm not writing about video games I can usually be found petting my cats and listening to some Progressive Metal. Meshuggah is tight.