Does Mortal Kombat 1 (MK1) Have Crossplay?

Mortal Kombat 1 Scorpion and Sektor. Does it have crossplay?
Mortal Kombat 1
Recommended Videos
(MK1) is here, landing on four gaming platforms, including the Nintendo Switch. And with 24 characters, there’ll be plenty of blood to shed. But what if you want to play against someone on a different console? If you’re wondering whether MK1 has crossplay, here’s the answer.

Does Mortal Kombat 1 (MK1) Have Crossplay?

Mortal Kombat 1 does now have crossplay, or Krossplay as WB and Netherrealm are calling it, on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S. It didn’t launch with cross-platform play of any kind, though. The Steam version of MK1 was advertised as having cross-platform play, but any mention of the feature was removed. However, Krossplay has now been patched in for all platforms except Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch version of the game, aside from looking pretty awful, can only be played with other Switch players. You can also carry your unlock progress between platforms but will need a WB Games account for Krossplay and Kross Progression. Related: Mortal Kombat 1’s Wild Ending Explained Why did this take so long? It may have to do with the fact that the console and PC releases of the game were developed by different teams. NetherRealm developed MK1 for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, but, as explained on the official FAQ page, “QLOC is developing the Steam and Epic Games Store versions of the game. Shiver Entertainment and Saber Interactive are developing the Nintendo Switch version of the game.” So, while NetherRealm was overseeing all versions, the PC and Switch versions were developed separately. The answer to does Mortal Kombat 1 has crossplay is yes, but it requires a WB Games account and it doesn’t cover Nintendo Switch. For more on the game, check out all of the characters and voice actors in MK1. Mortal Kombat 1 is available on PlayStation, Xbox, PC, and Nintendo Switch.
The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Spin 4 Free UGC Codes (March 2024)
Promo image for Spin 4 Free UGC.
Read Article Project Polaro Codes
Project Polaro Promo Image
Read Article All Fruit Battlegrounds Codes in Roblox (March 2024)
A header image for the Fruit Battlegrounds game in Roblox showing a Luffy knock off fighting a villain.
Related Content
Read Article Spin 4 Free UGC Codes (March 2024)
Promo image for Spin 4 Free UGC.
Read Article Project Polaro Codes
Project Polaro Promo Image
Read Article All Fruit Battlegrounds Codes in Roblox (March 2024)
A header image for the Fruit Battlegrounds game in Roblox showing a Luffy knock off fighting a villain.
Author
Chris McMullen
Freelance contributor at The Escapist. I've returned to writing about games after a couple of career changes, with my recent stint lasting five-plus years. I hope, through my writing work, to settle the karmic debt I incurred by persuading my parents to buy a Mega CD. Aside from writing for The Escapist, I also cover news and more for GameSpew. I've also been published at other sites including VG247, Space, and more. My tastes run to horror, the post-apocalyptic, and beyond, though I'll tackle most things that aren't exclusively sports-based.