Existing While Black: A Growing Concern

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I wasn't going to make this thread.

Honestly, I know I'm one of the few Ethnic Minorities on these forums, and I get tired of having to point this side out. I feel like it's an inconvenience at times. And I try to see the other side of things, how people must be tired of hearing about this.

And then it hits me. Every time it hits me. I'm programmed and I'm acting on behalf of my programming: Be accepted by not making waves. Be one of the 'Good Ones' and win them over.

Fuck that noise.

Everyone is speaking out on what bothers them, so I should not feel any way for speaking about injustice that happens because I "wear the away colors".

To the long list of problems that happen 'While Black', we can add Babysitting

This is just another one in the long list of inane things that a non-black person freaks out when a black person is out in the world doing normal things. So many comments on youtube and media outlets are "Well, why shouldn't a person be suspicious when a black guy has white children"... Like it's an alien concept that he might be a neighbor, a step father, an adoptive father, an uncle, a nanny etc.

This sort of thought is indicative to the Black Man being the other. And I stress a black man, because a lot of the comments correctly state that no one would bat an eye if it was a black woman because she would simply be the nanny.

I do not look at a white couple with an Asian kid and immediately jump to "... they stole that kid".

I don't look at a white man who doesn't look exactly like the kids that are following and go "Hey, they don't look alike... Are those REALLY his kids?!"

This type of thought is saved for the alien. The other that we don't understand. The Blacks.

And I thought for a 'fun' exercise that will lead me into some type of sadness, I'd make a list of "...While Black" that happened just this year.

I'm going to watch My Hero Academia for a bit. I hate this world.

You should always say what is on your mind, especially in these cases where silence - the favoured reaction in the eyes and ears of the "moderate" - only perpetuates these deeply entrenched problems. Though holy foetus of an aborted Jesus, what the hell is wrong with America and their view of the black community? All these incidents cannot be brushed off as any semblance of a healthy functioning society. It's like one part in the Who is America program where the town hall full of texan whities were recorded saying "we don't like black people here either, but we tolerate them" in response to the mosque building presentation. After all the terrible colonial history that still affects many certain peoples today, you tolerate them?! what in the actual fucking fuck? It should be the other way around, you privileged cuntcakes! If anything, their state of thinking is the most alien thing to comprehend out of all this.

Should maybe say, I'm not so great at adding anything of use most the time here, what without the personal experience or expertise, also being a Brit who can really only watch from afar in disbelief at the societal clusterfuck continuing in the US whilst cursing impotently online, but more often than not agree with your thoughts, concerns and rigorous precision in which you present those, so any other silence from this creature is usually big doubts on whether anything I attempt to say will do more harm than good for any subject.

Xsjadoblayde:
Though holy foetus of an aborted Jesus, what the hell is wrong with America and their view of the black community? All these incidents cannot be brushed off as any semblance of a healthy functioning society.

They cannot be, and yet they are. I suppose it's due to a mix of spiteful disingenuousness by some and ignorance by others.

It really depends on what you mean by "healthy society". Plenty of manifestly awful societies can function, including our still very white supremacist one. Is it harmonious? No; it compensates with militarized police. Miserable.

I'm glad you brought this up. Too many people just want to pretend everything is hunky dory. Thank you for sharing this.

Literally the only thing I can give that woman is that even if he was white, she might have still done it because there is a bias against male caretakers for children. My mom was a child development teacher back in the 80s when there was a big scare about pedophiles/satanists in the day care industry. It ended up being pretty much totally bullshit but it resulted in almost all the men leaving the field. Granted this was almost 40 years ago but you still don't see many males in the industry, unless that has changed rather recently.

I'm sure that his being black contributed but his being male might have contributed just as much to her freaking out, maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_sex-abuse_hysteria

Correct me if I am wrong on this.

I certainly think that the image of Black gangbanging drug and gun pushing thugs who mugs people and pimps dealing with STD infected prostitutes and probably rapes them, all of which listen to Rap music which is still more or less maligned by the White Community and such music glorifying violence and decedence truly gave a completely negative image to the Black Community in the United States.

Basically how I see it, a portion of White America still sees the entire black community as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCEjVC3Dtn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLks9vjAcGw

When people started protesting for gay rights, they did it politely. They intentionally avoided upsetting straight people. No one cared.

Then they beat up a bunch of cops who were raiding Stonewall. People started to care.

No one cares until they are forced to care. It is unfortunate, but it is true.

Politeness wont get you from underfoot. Be the tack that makes the foot jump back in pain.

Saelune:
When people started protesting for gay rights, they did it politely. They intentionally avoided upsetting straight people. No one cared.

Then they beat up a bunch of cops who were raiding Stonewall. People started to care.

Politeness wont get you from underfoot. Be the tack that makes the foot jump back in pain.

So what hasn't the Black Community do to get the White Community to care by now?

Samtemdo8:

Saelune:

So what hasn't the Black Community do to get the White Community to care by now?

Basically what they did in the 50's and 60's again. Protesting shouldn't be polite.

Saelune:

Samtemdo8:

Saelune:

Basically what they did in the 50's and 60's again. Protesting shouldn't be polite.

Then again it goes to show that having a Black President of the United States did not end Racism of this kind at all.

I mean with that story of a Black Man who is a day care worker getting harrassed by a concerned white lady, I think even Obama would go through that before his Presidency.

Infact has any Black American Politician went through something like this on their own free time?

Samtemdo8:

Saelune:

Samtemdo8:

Then again it goes to show that having a Black President of the United States did not end Racism of this kind at all.

I mean with that story of a Black Man who is a day care worker getting harrassed by a concerned white lady, I think even Obama would go through that before his Presidency.

Infact has any Black American Politician went through something like this on their own free time?

Yeah, I read about a former politician who had the cops called on him when he was moving to his new apartment. Let me search for the article and I come back to you later.

EDIT: I was wrong. He (Darren Martin) was a former White House staffer, not a politician.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/black-former-obama-staffer-moving-into-new-apartment-someone-reported-burglary-called-police/

Worgen:
Literally the only thing I can give that woman is that even if he was white, she might have still done it because there is a bias against male caretakers for children. My mom was a child development teacher back in the 80s when there was a big scare about pedophiles/satanists in the day care industry. It ended up being pretty much totally bullshit but it resulted in almost all the men leaving the field. Granted this was almost 40 years ago but you still don't see many males in the industry, unless that has changed rather recently.

I'm sure that his being black contributed but his being male might have contributed just as much to her freaking out, maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_sex-abuse_hysteria

As a male in the child care industry, I can confirm that there was some concerns about me entering the workforce. And only 6 years ago. Specifically, there was a person that thought the only possible reason for me wanting to be a child care worker was to "play" with kids. I.e. play with their genitalia. I was not allowed to change nappies for a couple of years until I "earned enough trust."

Samtemdo8:

I certainly think that the image of Black gangbanging drug and gun pushing thugs who mugs people and pimps dealing with STD infected prostitutes and probably rapes them, all of which listen to Rap music which is still more or less maligned by the White Community and such music glorifying violence and decedence truly gave a completely negative image to the Black Community in the United States.

Basically how I see it, a portion of White America still sees the entire black community as this:

Thank you. I'm glad you brought this up.

You're not wrong. That image is how a lot of people see black people.

But is it how all black people are? Certainly not. A percentage, of course.

But does that mean every member of the Italian community is apart of the Sopranos, one of the Goodfellas, or spending all their time plotting heist like in Heat?

Are they all serial killers? Like Dexter or Buffalo Bill and/or Dr. Lecter in Silence of the Lambs?

Can I look at Metal Bands and Groups like Slayer's Kill Again ("Lurking in the dismal fog/Hungry for your blood/Seeking harmless victims/Satisfy my needs"), Iron Maiden's Killers (My innocent victims are slaughtered with wrath and despise/The mocking religion of hatred that burns in the night/I have no one, I'm bound to destroy all this greed/A voice inside me compelling to satisfy me), or Cannibal Corpse's Hammer Smashed Face (Eyes bulging from their sockets/With every swing of my mallet/I smash your fucking head in, until brains seep in/Through the cracks, blood does leak/Distorted beauty, Catastrophe/Steaming slop, splattered all over me).

You see, White people are allowed to have media that are just harmless fun. Flights of fancy. Media is just media. Entertainment. The grotesque 'decadence' that they write about can always be handwaved as "That's not me". But other people always have to wear the limited perception that White people have of them. They aren't all the same, but we are.

For Blacks, they are always Manifestos. I can't judge a white person because of Psycho, but that same white person is 'well within their rights' for being afraid of me because of NWA

Samtemdo8:
*snips*

CaitSeith:
*snips*

....My Dudes, I just listed Janelle Bynum AND Darren Martin.

But again, I guess I should have listed who they were instead of just the small 'offenses' they had the cops called on them for.

ObsidianJones:

Samtemdo8:

Thank you. I'm glad you brought this up.

You're not wrong. That image is how a lot of people see black people.

But is it how all black people are? Certainly not. A percentage, of course.

But does that mean every member of the Italian community is apart of the Sopranos, one of the Goodfellas, or spending all their time plotting heist like in Heat?

Are they all serial killers? Like Dexter or Buffalo Bill and/or Dr. Lecter in Silence of the Lambs?

Can I look at Metal Bands and Groups like Slayer's Kill Again ("Lurking in the dismal fog/Hungry for your blood/Seeking harmless victims/Satisfy my needs"), Iron Maiden's Killers (My innocent victims are slaughtered with wrath and despise/The mocking religion of hatred that burns in the night/I have no one, I'm bound to destroy all this greed/A voice inside me compelling to satisfy me), or Cannibal Corpse's Hammer Smashed Face (Eyes bulging from their sockets/With every swing of my mallet/I smash your fucking head in, until brains seep in/Through the cracks, blood does leak/Distorted beauty, Catastrophe/Steaming slop, splattered all over me).

You see, White people are allowed to have media that are just harmless fun. Flights of fancy. Media is just media. Entertainment. The grotesque 'decadence' that they write about can always be handwaved as "That's not me". But other people always have to wear the limited perception that White people have of them. They aren't all the same, but we are.

For Blacks, they are always Manifestos. I can't judge a white person because of Psycho, but that same white person is 'well within their rights' for being afraid of me because of NWA

And I am probably gonna get flak for this but I seem to notice that when it comes to media, when Black people tries to create their own works of art in media be it movies or tv or music, it almost always have to concern about the "Black people in a world that doesn't like them" or solely about "the black struggle" and black creators almost always tends to make thier works theme about race and struggle.

Name one black led movie where a Black man is not a street gangster or criminal/villain of any kind, a civil rights activist, or a Slave working on the fields, or any story where race and struggle are not involved. OTHER the Black Panther please.

Accordig to Lindsey Ellis even Octavia E. Butler a black female who is a Science Fiction writer promoting afrofuturism.

https://youtu.be/T4j5tGNms14?t=279

Basically I feel that Black creators are incapable of taking "Race" out of their works.

And I am actually encouraging you to prove me wrong on this mind you.

Samtemdo8:

Name one black led movie where a Black man is not a street gangster, a civil rights activist, or a Slave working on the fields, or any story where race and struggle are not involved. OTHER the Black Panther please.

Creed?

That film was not really racially focused. It was more about following in the footsteps yet also living under the shadow of an absent parental figure and the weird love/hate emotions that can bring out in you.

And lastly I feel that all this is somewhat "unique" to the black community in the USA.

Is there any similar cases regarding a black community happening in other countries like in Latin America and Europe?

Samtemdo8:
And I am probably gonna get flak for this but I seem to notice that when it comes to media, when Black people tries to create their own works of art in media be it movies or tv or music, it almost always have to concern about the "Black people in a world that doesn't like them" or solely about "the black struggle" and black creators almost always tends to make thier works theme about race and struggle.

Name one black led movie where a Black man is not a street gangster or criminal/villain of any kind, a civil rights activist, or a Slave working on the fields, or any story where race and struggle are not involved. OTHER the Black Panther please.

Accordig to Lindsey Ellis even Octavia E. Butler a black female who is a Science Fiction writer promoting afrofuturism.

https://youtu.be/T4j5tGNms14?t=279

Basically I feel that Black creators are incapable of taking "Race" out of their works.

It's an interesting idea, but a really weird one if you really think about it.

What would people think if a person who asked a Poor Person to ignore the plight of being hungry, cold, and without for the majority of their lives? To sweep it away and view the world in a different manner?

A person who grew up in a household of systematic abuse?

Any person of their own plight, who had the society at large constantly reinforce the fact that they are different and under scrutiny while simultaneously being told not to focus so much about it?

It's an interesting thought exercise because you're actually asking for the Black Community to do something that no other race does. No gender, Sexuality, Religion, or whatever.

Literally, when white people write movies about stories that don't directly deal with race... they are quite blatantly writing about their experience in the world. Because the color of their skin and race doesn't matter to them as much as it does to any other person in the world. You are specifically asking the American Black Community to write science fiction or fantasy where the color of their skin never came up at any point of their lives.

My question to you is if someone wrote about your country and/or your countrymen and blatantly ignored the plights that they still suffer to this day to show a rosy, non-true version of reality... would you accept that?

Samtemdo8:
And lastly I feel that all this is somewhat "unique" to the black community in the USA.

Is there any similar cases regarding a black community happening in other countries like in Latin America and Europe?

You're asking half questions. The better case is to ask if there's other countries in the world that has had the similar history of American Blacks as they have in the US. Where they were enslaved, treated like animals, robbed of any culture, only in the last 60 years granted the status of actual Citizen, but still over-policed, underfunded, robbed of taxes without any representation in terms of equal say and/or education (let alone opportunities)... and if those mythical blacks around the world act the same as American Blacks.

Samtemdo8:

I would suggest replacing "black" with "minority ethnicity".

It is a decidedly American thing though. I think it is due to an unfortunate cultural bias in which the American idea of "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" and the unfortunate anti-intellectualism of race-traitors concept from poor black communities in regard to people seeking better education "acting white" - creates a situation where people do not want to help blacks but at the same time blacks have cut off an avenue of their own advancement (not the only avenue, but a valuable one).

This might sound out of left field, but I think a lot of focus needs to be put on Terry Crews as a role model for black people. Not in his own personal success, but also in the types of roles he plays that aren't action movie oriented. He is most certainly an African American and is part of that culture but doesn't lose any of that when succeeding as a person. He also does it without embracing the toxicity of gangstar rap culture to be successful.

My question to you is if someone wrote about your country and/or your countrymen and blatantly ignored the plights that they still suffer to this day to show a rosy, non-true version of reality... would you accept that?

In my brutally honest opinion with regards to me being Puerto Rican and living on this island. I am undivided.

On the one hand mabye yes, but in my lifetime I never went through any struggle that comes associated to being a Puerto Rican, I hardly even know the history of my whole island before the Americans made us citizens. (Spanish ruled Puerto Rico is a big mystery to me)

But no because I honestly have no true love for this island, an island that has too much unkempt foliage in most neighbourhoods and a jungle environment where its hot and full of misquitos and risk of thunderstorms and hurricanes. An island that is economically bankrupt and is one life support because of the help of the United States, with a completely poor as fuck electrical infestructure that pisses me off when the lights goes out on nearly a daily bases at times. Like everytime it rains here its like a 50% chance that a black out could happen. And most of our economic hardships came about because of short-term decisions. And the people and its culture? You are speaking to the most un-Puerto Rican, Puerto Rican person you will ever meet. I have been Amercizanized so much my accent sounds American, to the point that I had some people say I sound like Christopher Walken when they here me in voice chat. I know less Spanish then I know English. Because of all that, I feel I have no nationalistic tendency or pride in being Puerto Rican because really we are all just a speck on the earth and at the mercy of larger powers in the world. Cuba for example thinks they are such hot shit because they defied the United States and has their own independent nation, but really in the grand scheme of the world they are nothing without the aid of big daddy Russia and we are nothing without big daddy USA.

This island would indeed be just another shithole latin american country with even more poltical corruption or straight up dictatorship ala Castro, Pinochet, and Chavez. I mean we almost had one with Pedro Albizu Campos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Albizu_Campos

This is the reason why I prefer Statehood and even then I doubt it will happen in my lifetime not with the current political climate. Not after all the posturing Trump made regarding immigration from Mexicans and building a wall only to make another Latin American people full American nationals :P

So in the end, I think ultimately no I would not care if they paint the picture wrong or not. And I bet you were not expecting this kind of answer eh?

Samtemdo8:
SNIP

Predator 2? Nutty professor?

Samtemdo8:

In my brutally honest opinion with regards to me being Puerto Rican and living on this island. I am undivided.

On the one hand mabye yes, but in my lifetime I never went through any struggle that comes associated to being a Puerto Rican, I hardly even know the history of my whole island before the Americans made us citizens. (Spanish ruled Puerto Rico is a big mystery to me)

But no because I honestly have no true love for this island, an island that has too much unkempt foliage in most neighbourhoods and a jungle environment where its hot and full of misquitos and risk of thunderstorms and hurricanes. An island that is economically bankrupt and is one life support because of the help of the United States, with a completely poor as fuck electrical infestructure that pisses me off when the lights goes out on nearly a daily bases at times. Like everytime it rains here its like a 50% chance that a black out could happen. And most of our economic hardships came about because of short-term decisions. And the people and its culture? You are speaking to the most un-Puerto Rican, Puerto Rican person you will ever meet. I have been Amercizanized so much my accent sounds American, to the point that I had some people say I sound like Christopher Walken when they here me in voice chat. I know less Spanish then I know English. Because of all that, I feel I have no nationalistic tendency or pride in being Puerto Rican because really we are all just a speck on the earth and at the mercy of larger powers in the world. Cuba for example thinks they are such hot shit because they defied the United States and has their own independent nation, but really in the grand scheme of the world they are nothing without the aid of big daddy Russia and we are nothing without big daddy USA.

This island would indeed be just another shithole latin american country with even more poltical corruption or straight up dictatorship ala Castro, Pinochet, and Chavez. I mean we almost had one with Pedro Albizu Campos.

This is the reason why I prefer Statehood and even then I doubt it will happen in my lifetime not with the current political climate. Not after all the posturing Trump made regarding immigration from Mexicans and building a wall only to make another Latin American people full American nationals :P

So in the end, I think ultimately no I would not care if they paint the picture wrong or not. And I bet you were not expecting this kind of answer eh?

*shrugs* I was expecting you to answer. And if you tell me you have no love-lost for your island, that you're more Americanized and you speak more english than spanish... Yeah, I totally get that idea. Of course you wouldn't care.

But black people who are upset with the conditions they, their families, and their culture are subjected to due to an entire society that doesn't listen to them? Yeah, I get why they would use any avenue to express their discomfort or the unfair conditions.

Just like you use your voice to bring focus on things that you think are out of whack or need focus. It might not be your native land, but it's something.

I don't judge you for being ambivalent. Nor do I judge the artist you bring up for talking about their experience.

I mean, that's the quintessential reason for art. To hold a light up to society. The question I asked before, and one I didn't receive an answer for was still that; Why should Black Artists be the only Artists in the world who doesn't do that?

ObsidianJones:

Samtemdo8:

*shrugs* I was expecting you to answer. And if you tell me you have no love-lost for your island, that you're more Americanized and you speak more english than spanish... Yeah, I totally get that idea. Of course you wouldn't care.

But black people who are upset with the conditions they, their families, and their culture are subjected to due to an entire society that doesn't listen to them? Yeah, I get why they would use any avenue to express their discomfort or the unfair conditions.

Just like you use your voice to bring focus on things that you think are out of whack or need focus. It might not be your native land, but it's something.

I don't judge you for being ambivalent. Nor do I judge the artist you bring up for talking about their experience.

I mean, that's the quintessential reason for art. To hold a light up to society. The question I asked before, and one I didn't receive an answer for was still that; Why should Black Artists be the only Artists in the world who doesn't do that?

The only answer I can give is I do not know for I admit my ignorance in this cases, I made an opinion that I admit that I have no answer to and infact would like to see other's answer to my opinion. Yours included.

Samtemdo8:

Saelune:

Samtemdo8:

Obama scared the shit out of all the racists which is why they have all double and triple downed under Trump.

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:
SNIP

Predator 2? Nutty professor?

Men in Black. Blade I and II. I Am Legend (if you watch the dumb version). The Bone Collector. Deja Vu. Iron Sky (not sure). Night of the Living Dead (again, not sure).

Samtemdo8:

Is it that or are black creators kept from doing works about other things?

A few other people in this thread have already brought up several movies with black main characters that aren't explicitly about race. You'll notice that in those movies there are two returning actors: Will Smith and Eddie Murphy. Both managed to gain recognition as a 'legitimately good' actor and comedian respectively which gave them a lot of leeway on what projects they could star in and what projects they could push for. But, let's be honest here, how many actors of color or from a minority ethnicity get that chance?

Even respected and award winning actors like Jamie Foxx, Forest Whitaker and Cuba Gooding Jr. made large parts of their careers on portraying historical people or starring in dramas about racism, segregation or oppression. And while we shouldn't ignore prolific writers and directors like Spike Lee (who has made his career talking about the struggles of black people), we should ask ourselves if this is because Foxx, Whitaker and Gooding jr. just felt really, really compelled to only star in works about racism, or if it is because of a larger trend in film making, where black actors are typecast and simply can't get access to roles that are open to white actors, unless they really manage to make names for themselves?

It is the same question we can ask about women (not to hijack this thread, but to provide a comparison so please don't focus on this example alone): Do most actresses in Hollywood prefer to pick the romantic lead role over the actual lead role, or are there just not enough available lead roles available for women? Is this because female actresses, writers and directors prefer to talk about women's romantic woes (and their need to rely on men to save them) or because the movie industry has typecast women to a few specific kinds of roles? Can it be that the movie industry isn't interested in an action movie written by a woman, but will accept a biopic about an important historical woman? That the same applies to black writers and directors, that they can't get their projects greenlit unless they play into the stereotypes demanded by the publishing executives and make movies about the plights of black people?

I mean, I respect your question and can see where it is coming from, but from my perspective it is also a misguided question. If a black fireman can't do his job without getting the police called on him because people think he's a criminal, why should we believe that black actors, writers and directors aren't forced to confront the same sort of implicit racism in their lines of work? Why should we believe that they have total creative freedom and just so happen to want to talk about nothing but racism and suffering black people, when their white colleagues do all sorts of stuff? Are white people that much more varied, smarter and able to see past their own perspective? Or are white people just afforded more leeway?

Also, thanks ObsidianJones for making this thread. As disheartening as I find it, it is really important.

You are entirely right to talk about it.

And while police prejudice and bias is a problem in many places, what makes it even worse in the US case is that US police is an order of magnitude more likely to shoot and kill you than the police in many countries in Europe (I haven't found clear, easily comparable numbers on this but when I looked around it seemed like a factor of easily over 10 times as many people killed by police per capita when compared to my home country of the Netherlands) and that the US holds ~25% of the worlds prisoners with only ~5% of the world population. When the American police screws up, they are likely to do a lot more than just harass, they often imprison or kill.

ObsidianJones:
You're asking half questions. The better case is to ask if there's other countries in the world that has had the similar history of American Blacks as they have in the US. Where they were enslaved, treated like animals, robbed of any culture, only in the last 60 years granted the status of actual Citizen, but still over-policed, underfunded, robbed of taxes without any representation in terms of equal say and/or education (let alone opportunities)... and if those mythical blacks around the world act the same as American Blacks.

Australian here *waves*

The treatment of Indigenous Australians is impressively terrible. Things aren't the same, we had/have a different history of oppression, but today, they are massively over-policed, disproportionately imprisoned, loads of deaths in custody. 100% of juveniles in detention in the Northern Territory are indigenous, for example.

Now, the police or ordinary citizenry don't go round shooting them 20 times in the back for the hell of it. But because the US seems to have the monopoly on that, people in other countries go round shaking their heads at how bad the US is, and overlooking the lesser but serious issues close to home they might be obliged to do something about.

Seanchaidh:
They cannot be, and yet they are. I suppose it's due to a mix of spiteful disingenuousness by some and ignorance by others.

It really depends on what you mean by "healthy society". Plenty of manifestly awful societies can function, including our still very white supremacist one. Is it harmonious? No; it compensates with militarized police. Miserable.

Harmonious may fit more appropriately there, yeah. Though even that potentially implies other countries including this one are bordering on perfection when read in context, whereas in reality there are still huge problems here, it's just people are quicker to recognise and condemn, meaning the issues manifest in less blatant, more convoluted ways, the hardcore racists hide their shit more efficiently until within their safe spaces while the government manages to utilise the timeless power of 'say the opposite of what you're thinking, and act on it regardless.'
In comparison, it's the embracement of immature, underdeveloped pride in which the prevailence of US racism takes that makes it so ugly and difficult to know where to start with it all. Oh and all the murder, happily endorsed by the NRA. For a supposed developed western powerhouse of modern progression at least.

I'd like to think prejudices will someday fade away, but some other part of me thinks these issues will until the entire population is homogenized. There will always be an excuse in the human brain as long as people are "different". Flaw of human nature, and if there is a God he's one sadistic SOB.

hanselthecaretaker:
snip

I think there is a difference on seeing other people as "different" and seeing them as "incompatible". Heck! They can even be mutually exclusive, like in a competitive environment where there can only be one at the top. A backstabber won't trust anyone who isn't different to him (because he knows if they are like him, then they are backstabbers too).

jademunky:

Samtemdo8:

Name one black led movie where a Black man is not a street gangster, a civil rights activist, or a Slave working on the fields, or any story where race and struggle are not involved. OTHER the Black Panther please.

Creed?

That film was not really racially focused. It was more about following in the footsteps yet also living under the shadow of an absent parental figure and the weird love/hate emotions that can bring out in you.

Also pretty much any Will Smith movie, Wesley Snipes movie, Samuel L. Jackson movie, Kevin Hart movie, Jamie Foxx movie, etc. Sure, there may be jokes about racial prejudice peppered in here or there, but for the most party they're "normal" movies that avoid heavy handed racial patronizing/pandering.

hanselthecaretaker:

jademunky:

Samtemdo8:

Creed?

Also pretty much any Will Smith movie, Wesley Snipes movie, Samuel L. Jackson movie, Kevin Hart movie, Jamie Foxx movie, etc. Sure, there may be jokes about racial prejudice peppered in here or there, but for the most party they?re ?normal? movies that avoid heavy handed racial patronizing/pandering.

I was thinking about that when I tried to remember The Pursuit of Happyness. Even though is based on a real story, I don't remember if the race factor was ever pointed out.

CaitSeith:

hanselthecaretaker:

jademunky:

Creed?

Also pretty much any Will Smith movie, Wesley Snipes movie, Samuel L. Jackson movie, Kevin Hart movie, Jamie Foxx movie, etc. Sure, there may be jokes about racial prejudice peppered in here or there, but for the most party they?re ?normal? movies that avoid heavy handed racial patronizing/pandering.

I was thinking about that when I tried to remember The Pursuit of Happyness. Even though is based on a real story, I don't remember if the race factor was ever pointed out.

I think, to play devil's advocate, what Sammy means is that the...Oscar movies, the ones considered 'films' as opposed to 'movies' are almost always about slavery or the civil rights era, or on a rare occasion, black soldiers in a not-black army. As if studio suits said to themselves 'we want a Oscar contender the judges will feel guilty about not voting for because of racial tensions...get me a black writer and a black director and do something sad about a diner in Alabama in the 50s!'
So movies of that ilk don't feel like meaningful presentations of African American culture, but exploitative tear/Oscar bait movies.

Yay! Another one to add to the list!

#Being In The Wrong Place While Black!

A white woman who called the cops on a nine-year-old black boy claiming he groped her buttocks has apologized to him after security footage proved he never put a hand on her.

Teresa Klein, dubbed 'Cornerstore Caroline' on social media, left the young boy in tears after she started an explosive argument with the boy's mother in a Brooklyn bodega on Wednesday.

The incident sparked widespread outrage on social media as a video of Klein's tirade, in which she tells 911 dispatchers: 'I was just sexually assaulted by a child' and reveals her home address and phone number, went viral.

When approached by a New York Post reporter outside her apartment on Friday, Klein said of the mother: 'I would like to apologize to her daughter and her son but not to her. She could have walked away, but she didn?t. I'm also a Buddhist, [but] I let my temper show.'

Klein, who calls herself 'white lady' several times in the video and told dispatchers: 'Yeah I know, white lady calls the cops on black lady', said to the Post: 'I've been called racist before, and I'm not.'

This is stupid. It's a stupid issue.

This woman fought with the children's mother. Called her Son a sexual assaulter, and then had the nerve after she was proven wrong to say she wants to apologize to the boy and the daughter but not her?! NOT her? It is one of the most vile things to call someone a sexual offender, and this woman did it to the mother's face. Was she not supposed to be upset? Was she supposed to be a 'calm as a buddhaist' after those lies?

And the mother didn't call the cops. The lady did. She could have walked away? Who took it to a level that black people don't walk away from?

But that's not the important part

This is

All you need to do in this video is listen around 6 seconds in. Hear the absolute sheer terror these children beg for their mother to solve the situation before the Cops come. A child as young as her daughter knows to fear the cops. And you can say "Well, that's how the mother raised them". To that, I have to say... really? Because if so, she did raise them right. Because today they learned that the cops will be called on them for any reason, and there is a chance that the caller will be wrong.

This is like situations I had the cops called on me as a child. For riding bikes in the neighborhood (I still don't know how to ride a bike), for running in the hallway (you know, as a kid would), etc. We grow up to see the police as very real boogeymen that other people can control and only exist to harm us.

This is what I want people to take away from when they say "If you didn't do anything wrong, why don't you want the police around". To us, existing is what we did wrong. And damned sure that 2018 is hell bent on proving that.

Silentpony:
I think, to play devil's advocate, what Sammy means is that the...Oscar movies, the ones considered 'films' as opposed to 'movies' are almost always about slavery or the civil rights era, or on a rare occasion, black soldiers in a not-black army. As if studio suits said to themselves 'we want a Oscar contender the judges will feel guilty about not voting for because of racial tensions...get me a black writer and a black director and do something sad about a diner in Alabama in the 50s!'
So movies of that ilk don't feel like meaningful presentations of African American culture, but exploitative tear/Oscar bait movies.

Well, if we involve Oscar, that's even worse. Because we never saw an Oscar for best picture going to a comedy. Oscars only go to sadness. But the sadness that the voters find profound. Sametemdo showed a clip from Boys in the Hood. In my household, that was shown as a warning. It was scarier to me than anything else. The streets are out to get you, the police (and members of 'your own kind') are out to get you, there are no chances to get out. Can you get any more oppressed?

That year, though, belonged to Silence of the Lambs in the hearts of the voters. The very real struggle that their American neighbors with through? Yeah, that's interesting. But this dude eats people, yo!

Samtemdo8:
The only answer I can give is I do not know for I admit my ignorance in this cases, I made an opinion that I admit that I have no answer to and infact would like to see other's answer to my opinion. Yours included.

No issue. You're discussing. Bringing out ideas and trying to test them out. That's all we can do for better understanding in the world. And I personally like to thank you for speaking out. It must have been a bit intimidating. Kudos to you.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here