This is Freedom of Speech and why it must always be defended.

This is also how leaders should react when the people utilize their freedom of speech against them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn9JjLfKsk8

Now imagine someone saying something like this to Rameses II, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Attila the Hun, Ghenghis Khan, Napoleon, Von Bismarck, Hitler, and Stalin?

Samtemdo8:
This is also how leaders should react when the people utilize their freedom of speech against them.

Perhaps, but that's not how John Adams acted. He signed into law the Sedition Act, which went a great distance towards making criticism of the government illegal, and was used to prosecute Jeffersonian newspapers. The man did immense harm to freedom of speech and the press in the US.

Silvanus:

Samtemdo8:

Perhaps, but that's not how John Adams acted. He signed into law the Sedition Act, which went a great distance towards making criticism of the government illegal, and was used to prosecute Jeffersonian newspapers. The man did immense harm to freedom of speech and the press in the US.

Now I know why Jefferson's Face is on Mount Rushmore and not Adams. My fault for not watching all of the show before my free trial ran out :P

I gotta read more on Early USA history because I feel not much is known about it in popular culture.

People hardly discuss the years after the War for Independence and before the Civil War, and hardly any discussion after the Civil War and before World War 2.

Perhaps if the option is available, If I ever go back to my internet college I would take a United States history class.

Samtemdo8:

Silvanus:

Samtemdo8:

Now I know why Jefferson's Face is on Mount Rushmore and not Adams. My fault for not watching all of the show before my free trial ran out :P

I gotta read more on Early USA history because I feel not much is known about it in popular culture.

People hardly discuss the years after the War for Independence and before the Civil War, and hardly any discussion after the Civil War and before World War 2.

Perhaps if the option is available, If I ever go back to my internet college I would take a United States history class.

I find The Great Courses to be a good resource for history. Since I listen to audio books a lot, that's my usual go-to. I just finished one on the American Civil War.

And yes, free speech is important.

Samtemdo8:

Silvanus:

Samtemdo8:

Jefferson favoured keeping slavery as a means of retaining his ideal of an agrarian republic of free, white farmers. He and Hamilton represented extremes that could easily have doomed a democratic society if followed to the letter. Hamilton wanted presidents to serve for life and a powerful army, while Jefferson said that the tree of liberty must be watered by the blood of tyrants and patriots, and supported the french revolutionary governments even after they descended into tyrannical regimes

The funny thing was Jefferson and Adams were friends at first in 1708. The political division only came after the division of the whig party and the creation of the Republican party.To say they were frenemies was no joke when they were in the US. Adams believed in a strong centralized government, while Jefferson was the polar opposite during the Adams administration. The both would hardly if ever talk to each other until Benjamin Rush got involved. With a little lie or more twisting of the truth Franklin got both of them to actually write to each other.

1809 the two men started to write back and forth to each other. They realized that the political infighting between them had truly past them by. Adams and Jefferson wrote over 158 letters between each other for 14 years. Both men would find a common ground discussing both their places in history as well as their own lives. Even when both started to become infirm neither wanted to stop writing to the other with Jefferson once stating. " You and I ought not die before we have explained ourselves to each other". Ironically both men would die hours apart July 4th 1826, clearly no longer enemies.

https://www.history.com/news/jefferson-adams-founding-frenemies

There's no better place for a biography of John Adams than David McCullough's book. If you want to get someone to care about history then have them read McCullough.

Imagine saying it about Trump. Rubio make a joke about the size of his hands, being an idiom about dick size. The very next day Trump is out there, 'there's no problem! I'm great!'

Specter Von Baren:
There's no better place for a biography of John Adams than David McCullough's book. If you want to get someone to care about history then have them read McCullough.

The HBO series of John Adams is an adaption of McCullough's work.

Freedom to openly criticize the government and those in power is an important right of any good nation.

But the freedom to be a bigot is not.

Samtemdo8:

Silvanus:

Samtemdo8:

If you haven't heard of this guy, nows the time. https://youtu.be/VmSuSGde5cw

When people talk about Freedom of Speech and the negative cycle of politics need to understand that today is MILD compared to yesteryear. Not only was a Senator beaten half to death in the middle of Congress over a speech, the alternative was a duel to the death. The accoster splintered his cane and the South gave him plenty of replacements, praising his willing to beat someone

As always, I'd point to the election with Andrew Jackson and Yellow Journalism as some other example of lies due to Freedom of Speech

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here