Shooting at 2 mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Sonmi:
Considering the baffling amount of sarcasm and irony in his written statements, I think it's clear that we can put the details of his plans into question... he might simply be trying to get a reaction with the Second Amendment thing, as he was with the Candace Owens mention, the PewDiePie one, and even his supposed support of Oswald Mosley (which is mostly a meme in esoteric far-right circles IIRC)

The only things that are pretty certain is that this was fueled by hatred, bigotry, and is the logical conclusion of far right ideology mixed with the crushing cynicism of internet culture.

The shooter specifically says in his manifesto his aim is to sow division. By having a kneejerk reaction and calling him far right you're doing exactly what he wants.

His manifesto and the live stream are so thick with memes I'd actually say he's either a false flag or apolitical.

Dreiko:
According to the shooter's manifesto, he wants to accelerate the culture war by blaming people like pewds so that the left will try to censor them and the right will react to them trying to censor people violently.

I say we not take the bait and do what the man who killed 49 people wants us to do.

When you have a guy who has his head so filled with so much right wing garbage that he actually believes he can set off a chain reaction causing a cultural war by murdering a bunch of people will cause the " left to overreact" which will then cause the right to rise up and destroy the left, it is pretty clear he acted believing the right wing propaganda promoting the very false narrative that the left is full of extremists who have the ability and drive to oppress the right. If he did not believe the right wing propaganda in the first place he would not have thought this scenario would work. Every part of his first belief in the right wing propaganda promoting left wing extremism is political. Every part of his act in an attempt to provoke left wing extremism is political. His belief that left wing extremism will then provoke a right wing extremist response is political. All of his thoughts and actions on this were based on the him being ignorant of reality and believing the right wing propaganda in the first place.

He drank too much of the right wing koolaid promoting the idea that the left discussing and addressing improving race issues impacting society is really some extremist action to oppress the right. It is the right wing false narrative that addressing racism is somehow sowing division rather than the racism itself causing the problems that lead him to believe such an ignorant idea that him murdering Muslims would ignite a cultural war.

If he had not believed the right wing propaganda in the first place, he would not have believed that the left would overreact. What would actually be considered an overreaction to mass murder? Addressing racism and violence is not an overreaction, it is what is expected to happen as civilization progresses. You have to have your head filled with some seriously messed up BS to believe that it is some how extremist to want to put an end to racism in the first place.

Lil devils x:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Sonmi:
Considering the baffling amount of sarcasm and irony in his written statements, I think it's clear that we can put the details of his plans into question... he might simply be trying to get a reaction with the Second Amendment thing, as he was with the Candace Owens mention, the PewDiePie one, and even his supposed support of Oswald Mosley (which is mostly a meme in esoteric far-right circles IIRC)

The only things that are pretty certain is that this was fueled by hatred, bigotry, and is the logical conclusion of far right ideology mixed with the crushing cynicism of internet culture.

The shooter specifically says in his manifesto his aim is to sow division. By having a kneejerk reaction and calling him far right you're doing exactly what he wants.

His manifesto and the live stream are so thick with memes I'd actually say he's either a false flag or apolitical.

Dreiko:
According to the shooter's manifesto, he wants to accelerate the culture war by blaming people like pewds so that the left will try to censor them and the right will react to them trying to censor people violently.

I say we not take the bait and do what the man who killed 49 people wants us to do.

When you have a guy who has his head so filled with so much right wing garbage that he actually believes he can set off a chain reaction causing a cultural war by murdering a bunch of people will cause the " left to overreact" which will then cause the right to rise up and destroy the left, it is pretty clear he acted believing the right wing propaganda promoting the very false narrative that the left is full of extremists who have the ability and drive to oppress the right. If he did not believe the right wing propaganda in the first place he would not have thought this scenario would work. Every part of his first belief in the right wing propaganda promoting left wing extremism is political. Every part of his act in an attempt to provoke left wing extremism is political. His belief that left wing extremism will then provoke a right wing extremist response is political. All of his thoughts and actions on this were based on the him being ignorant of reality and believing the right wing propaganda in the first place.

He drank too much of the right wing koolaid promoting the idea that the left discussing and addressing improving race issues impacting society is really some extremist action to oppress the right. It is the right wing false narrative that addressing racism is somehow sowing division rather than the racism itself causing the problems that lead him to believe such an ignorant idea that him murdering Muslims would ignite a cultural war.

If he had not believed the right wing propaganda in the first place, he would not have believed that the left would overreact. What would actually be considered an overreaction to mass murder? Addressing racism and violence is not an overreaction, it is what is expected to happen as civilization progresses. You have to have your head filled with some seriously messed up BS to believe that it is some how extremist to want to put an end to racism.

I mean, pointing out that blaming "the right" is what the guy wanted is starting to feel repetitive. He didn't think that murdering Muslims would ignite anything, peoples reactions to it are what he was hoping would ignite it.

Saelune:

CheetoDust:

Saelune:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus (aka 'Christ')

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_(building)

Yeah I'm aware what those words mean. What does the town being called that have to do with the attack if you're not trying to make a statement about the people who live in that town.

You want me to say that maybe I am wrong? Fine. But we need to stop pretending that a town with a name practically out of a bad parody, that is seriously named 'Christchurch' where Muslims in their mosques got shot up, might have something to do with Christianity. It is not some absurd leap.

Again, a very common place name when it comes to former British colonies. Ireland has one too and we're not overly attached to our British roots. Maybe we could also considering that a town was named Christchurch 170 years ago and is now home to at least two mosques within 3 km of each other.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Lil devils x:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Dreiko:

If he had not believed the right wing propaganda in the first place, he would not have believed that the left would overreact. What would actually be considered an overreaction to mass murder? Addressing racism and violence is not an overreaction, it is what is expected to happen as civilization progresses. You have to have your head filled with some seriously messed up BS to believe that it is some how extremist to want to put an end to racism.

I mean, pointing out that blaming "the right" is what the guy wanted is starting to feel repetitive. He didn't think that murdering Muslims would ignite anything, peoples reactions to it are what he was hoping would ignite it.

It was his initial right wing belief that people's reactions would be extreme that is at the core of this however. Of course he thought him killing Muslims would ignite their reactions and set off a chain of imagined events based on his initial right wing false narrative that the left was extreme in the first place. If he did not believe that false narrative, he would not have thought their actions to his actions would lead to a cultural war.

If he had not believed the false narrative of widespread left wing extremism as promoted, he would not have believed any of that was a probable outcome.

Dreiko:

I mean, the easy way to prevent that is for the right not to react violently and hysterically for people promoting white nationalism no longer being given a national platform. Crazy, I know.

Lil devils x:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Lil devils x:

It was his initial right wing belief that people's reactions would be extreme that is at the core of this however. Of course he thought him killing Muslims would ignite their reactions and set off a chain of imagined events based on his initial right wing false narrative that the left was extreme in the first place. If he did not believe that false narrative, he would not have thought their actions to his actions would lead to a cultural war.

If he had not believed the false narrative of widespread left wing extremism as promoted, he would not have believed any of that was a probable outcome.

Except he was right and everyone is reacting exactly how he wanted them to.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Oh yeah, the civil war is totally on, my man.

Oh wait, that's not it. The only thing that is happening is that far right retards are getting rightfully shat on for fostering the type of atmosphere and behaviour that led to this BS.

Sonmi:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Oh wait, that's not it. The only thing that is happening is that far right retards are getting rightfully shat on for fostering the type of atmosphere and behaviour that led to this BS.

Yeah, he totally meant that a civil war would occur within hours, you know what I meant and just confirmed it yourself.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Sonmi:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Yeah, he totally meant that a civil war would occur within hours, you know what I meant and just confirmed it yourself.

Spoiler alert my dude, a civil war is not going to happen as he predicted.

The guy's a loony and anyone that believes things will go as he predicted is one as well. Right-wing terrorism being called out will not lead to a civil war.

I always find the scale of the reaction to these things a little confusing.

In January, the Massacre de Yirgou happened. 49 people tragically lost their lives, much like the awful event which happened in Christchurch yesterday.
But, I imagine most of you haven't even heard of that. It was one of the 264 terror attacks which occurred that month.

Now, I'm not going to say "You can only care about one thing", or that in some way caring so much about this event lessens one's care for another event.

However, the scale of reaction is an order of magnitude of difference.
I wonder perhaps if at this point, it's merely a racism of low expectation. We expect so little of nations other than our white christian ones that when mass terror events happen. There is simply a lack of care.

Or perhaps, it's that when these events happen, and the perpetrators aren't white people, racism of low expectations has gotten so used to Islamic Terror that it's merely "Part and parcel" as it were.

If you're so outraged at this event, but barely cared a peep, or didn't even know about worse atrocities that have happened even within the month, I think you have to look closer to home as to why this one upsets you so much.
Far too many times, events of tragedy are abused for political point scoring. Let's not be those people.

The Lunatic:

In January, the Massacre de Yirgou happened. 49 people tragically lost their lives, much like the awful event which happened in Christchurch yesterday.
But, I imagine most of you haven't even heard of that. It was one of the 264 terror attacks which occurred that month.

Now, I'm not going to say "You can only care about one thing", or that in some way caring so much about this event lessens one's care for another event.

I wonder perhaps if at this point, it's merely a racism of low expectation. We expect so little of nations other than our white christian ones that when mass terror events happen. There is simply a lack of care.

Or perhaps, it's that when these events happen, and the perpetrators aren't white people, racism of low expectations has gotten so used to Islamic Terror that it's merely "Part and parcel" as it were.

If you're so outraged at this event, but barely cared a peep, or didn't even know about worse atrocities that have happened even within the month, I think you have to look closer to home as to why this one upsets you so much.
Far too many times, events of tragedy are abused for political point scoring. Let's not be those people.

Shocker, Western people care about what happens in Western countries similar to theirs, where mass violence is not the norm, more than they care about what happens in wartorn countries.

If you're willing to stand up to the same scrutiny you're applying to the people shocked at yesterday's shooting, how much have you talked about the Maidan Shar attack versus something like the Nice attack, or even the Koln mass sexual assault scandal?

You're disingenuously setting standards you yourself aren't following, and it's honestly 100% transparent.

The Lunatic:

Because this is easy to vilify. Stuff happening in other countries is less cut and dry due to ethnicity or economics or religion or sociology. Like I've seen very little news about Israel bombing the Gaza Strip last night. This has been dominating the news.

It's like Missing White Woman syndrome but more general I suppose.

The Lunatic:

I love the attempt to minimize this. "Actually, this right-wing terror attack wasn't bad because other people also died. Checkmate leftists!"

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Lil devils x:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Except they are not. Where is this widespread left extremism? Being disgusted over senseless Murder is expected regardless of political affiliation. It is only the racists who see killing a bunch of Muslims as being a good thing, most conservatives do not. Addressing the extremist propaganda that led to this is something those on the right and left should both address, not just the left. Did he some how think that all conservatives support his narrative? Reality here is most people, regardless of political affiliation, condemn the far right propaganda that leads to extremism.

Pointing out that t was alt right propaganda promoting this isn't going to lead to a war, instead the more right wing extremists commit mass murder, the more disenfranchised the conservatives will become with being affiliated with any organizations that promotes such. Widespread condemnation from both the left and right is the most likely action to come from this.

Even among the right wing groups out trying to protect confederate monuments, these alt right guys don't have the best reception:

4chan reality=\=reality.

BreakfastMan:
I love the attempt to minimize this. "Actually, this right-wing terror attack wasn't bad because other people also died. Checkmate leftists!"

It's like they think people don't know what "Whataboutisms" are.

Dreiko:

From what I've seen, people try to inflate things to suit their agenda. Like the guy who shot the jewish temple. They always called him as a guy from Gab but he also had a facebook too. Twitter has a ton of alt right people there but it's not seen as "that alt right site" but Gab is.

Suffice it to say, I don't trust absolutely anyone to be even-handed in differentiating between which site is being infiltrated and which site is the breeding ground. I can see nothing but turmoil coming out of any attempt to categorize sites thus.

There's a pretty clear difference between sites that are built from the ground up to accommodate this stuff and ones that aren't. No one's going to be mistaking Stormfront (I think that's what it's called) as anything else.

The Lunatic:

Because somehow a horrific event taking place in the Sahel war due to the Algerian Civil war is somehow the equivalent of a terrorist attack in a western peaceful nation currently not at war? Way to compare apples to orangutans here. Yes, all western nations should be considered a war zone now right?

Here Comes Tomorrow:

The Lunatic:

Because this is easy to vilify. Stuff happening in other countries is less cut and dry due to ethnicity or economics or religion or sociology. Like I've seen very little news about Israel bombing the Gaza Strip last night. This has been dominating the news.

It's like Missing White Woman syndrome but more general I suppose.

People should just expect all western peaceful nations not at war to be viewed the same as events in a war zone now? It has more to do with the expectations of how bad things are in a war zone vs life in a peacetime nation. People have an expectation that war zone level of violence should not be expected in nations not at war.

Lil devils x:

The Lunatic:

Because somehow a horrific event taking place in the Sahel war due to the Algerian Civil war is somehow the equivalent of a terrorist attack in a western peaceful nation currently not at war? Way to compare apples to orangutans here. Yes, all western nations should be considered a war zone now right?

He already thinks western nations are a war zone, because he thinks whites are being genocided. It is all the same to these people. To them, seeing a brown person walking down the street or having a kebab or taco shop open in their neighborhood is the equivalent of dropping a bunker-buster on a daycare.

The Lunatic:

No you don't, don't be disingenuous.

It's just you lean towards the far right, so you're getting in there to diminish and distract when it's your boys doing the dirty. You do it every time. When you're part of a community for years and years (even one as ephemeral as an internet debate board), you keep playing the same game, expect everyone to learn it.

Dreiko:

I think someone crazy enough to shoot 49 people can literally think he is actually doing it for the memes, too.

I think what you (and Here Comes Tomorrow) are missing is that the far right have, for years, deliberately been adopting a tone of laddish banter and irony full of internet memes. It's the new way, advocated on far right sites, to convey far right ideas, because if you storm in with earnest metaphorical jackboots and Hitleresque demagoguery, everyone sighs and switches off immediately. It's probably also a reflection of the fact the far right has expanded in substantial part through shitpost internet boards.

In this sense, this goon is therefore likely a natural production of the new internet far right recruitment strategy; murderous hatred of different people couched in cheeky, lads bantz internet memes.

Sonmi:
Eco-Fascism, not green nationalism. And it's absolutely a coherent ideology. (As far as fascism can be coherent at the very least)

Part of fascist ideology is obsessed with upholding the pure, traditional, natural order of things, it's mostly applied to hierarchy, but can also be applied to things like religion, hence why a lot of modern fascists are into European pagan revivalism, and the preservation of the environment, hence eco-fascists and violent Luddite primitivists like Kazcynski.

Fascism has always had an obsession with the "organic".

Today, our metaphors for fascism are often mechanical. The literary metaphor of fascism is often about reducing humans to machines or non-living things like zombies. But this came about through things like The Great Dictator as a way of mocking or insulting the fascist position, because fascists didn't see themselves in these terms at all. They didn't imagine their own philosophy as cold, mechanical or inhuman, but as the truest expression of humanity's inherent nature. They were on the side of life and nature against a modern world (and in particular socialism and liberalism, the dual antitheses of the fascist position) which were cold, inhuman and ultimately inimical to life.

That's why the Nazis pioneered things like animal welfare and environmental protections. It's why so many of them were vegetarians. It's why senior Nazi figures spent so much time posing with children and animals, because these were the expressions of life and nature which fascism conceptually aligned itself with. In many ways, even the darker side of things, the race science, and the fixation on warfare and struggle, is seamlessly connected with this idea of the "organic", on aligning with or mirroring life.

Saelune:
New Zealand is a Christian country, just like the US, just like the UK and plenty of other European countries. We want to pretend they aren't, but they are, and it is a negative influence. Christchurch is a I mean, its like a parody its so on the nose, maybe change that shit if you don't want to be viewed as a place that is LITERALLY CALLED 'CHRISTCHURCH'!

So, uh, fun fact: Oslo, the capital of Norway, used to be called Christiannia. Changing the name didn't stop the self-described crusader Breivik.

Sonmi:

Leg End:
I'd go so far as to argue that the entire shooting was one giant shitpost to him, with his capture an enduring one because it pisses more people off.

I'd agree, but the whole thing being one giant shitpost to him doesn't preclude it from being ideologically-driven and, at the same time, entirely serious. It's all part of the whole cynical nihilistic irony-fueled internet culture that many people are now part of.

Bingo. Plus, if 'merely' spreading chaos was this guy's aim, he wouldn't shoot up two mosques couple kilometers of each other. Why not a mosque and a church then? Why not a post office?

Silentpony:
Okay so maybe i missed something, but I just a bunch of articles linked from Reddit that PewDiePie was involved in this? Or like provoked the shooter?

He was as much "involved" as Jodie Foster was involved in the shooting of Ronald Reagan. Maybe he watched Pewds, maybe not, doesn't matter as much as PDP being a huge, popular, and attention bringing persona.(Plus the entire T-series deal)

AFAIK besides Felix "Pewdiepie" Kjellberg, he cited couple of other influences in his manifesto. Like Fortnite, Spyro the Dragon(!) and Candace Owens[1].

[1] Who is that woman? Some kind of a right-wing celebrity akin to Milo? I read about her first time in thread here about a day ago.

Agema:

The Lunatic:

It's just you lean towards the far right, so you're getting in there to diminish and distract when it's your boys doing the dirty. You do it every time. When you're part of a community for years and years (even one as ephemeral as an internet debate board), you keep playing the same game, expect everyone to learn it.

Dreiko:

I think someone crazy enough to shoot 49 people can literally think he is actually doing it for the memes, too.

I think what you (and Here Comes Tomorrow) are missing is that the far right have, for years, deliberately been adopting a tone of laddish banter and irony full of internet memes. It's the new way, advocated on far right sites, to convey far right ideas, because if you storm in with earnest metaphorical jackboots and Hitleresque demagoguery, everyone sighs and switches off immediately. It's probably also a reflection of the fact the far right has expanded in substantial part through shitpost internet boards.

In this sense, this goon is therefore likely a natural production of the new internet far right recruitment strategy; murderous hatred of different people couched in cheeky, lads bantz internet memes.

I'm not missing it at all. I can just recognise the difference between sincere racism and ironic racism because I've been immersed in it for years. Though I'm sure you're going to come back at me with "well maybe your view is skewed" like I'm incapable of critical thinking or self-awareness.

Leg End:

Dreiko:

We're well on our way there, considering there are articles mentioning Pewds and they're painting him like he's only known for anti-semitism. Dude is playing everyone like a damn fiddle, and as I type this I realize how much he'd enjoy that choice of words.

Sorry. This is a few pages ago but gotta bring it up.

Osama Bin Laden won. He wanted to divide Muslims and Christians. He wanted to terrorize Christians. The US was so scared they changed security, did things like PRISM and drone strikes. He, more than anyone else, has caused Trump to get into office. Trump has been dancing to Bin Laden tune and he's not even alive anymore

The Lunatic:

Cool. Start a thread about that one, so people can discuss it, then.

MrCalavera:

AFAIK besides Felix "Pewdiepie" Kjellberg, he cited couple of other influences in his manifesto. Like Fortnite, Spyro the Dragon(!) and Candace Owens[1].

His references to Spyro and Fortnite were jokes. People are quoting the reference out of context.

Were you taught violence and extremism by video games,music,literature,cinema?

Yes, Spyro the dragon 3 taught me ethno-nationalism. Fortnite trained me to be a killer and to floss on the corpses of my enemies. No.

Candace Owens is a ex-lefty who decided she could make more money being a right wing mouth piece who frequently places her foot in her face hole. A while back she tried to launch a Kickstarter to make a database of bullies. There was a fairly lengthy thread on it on here if I remember correctly.

[1] Who is that woman? Some kind of a right-wing celebrity akin to Milo? I read about her first time in thread here about a day ago.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Agema:

The Lunatic:

Dreiko:

I'm not missing it at all. I can just recognise the difference between sincere racism and ironic racism because I've been immersed in it for years. Though I'm sure you're going to come back at me with "well maybe your view is skewed" like I'm incapable of critical thinking or self-awareness.

So in the video I posted above with the Meme guy being run off by conservatives, do you think he was expressing sincere racism or racism lite? Racism is racism, if you can't see that, you need a reality check.

This guys racism has to be pretty extreme to walk into a building and shoot a bunch of people simply because they are Muslims.

Lil devils x:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Agema:

So in the video I posted above with the Meme guy being run off by conservatives, do you think he was expressing sincere racism or racism lite? Racism is racism, if you can't see that, you need a reality check.

This guys racism has to be pretty extreme to walk into a building and shoot a bunch of people simply because they are Muslims.

Didn't watch it. Gonna be honest, I skim over your posts and avoid engaging you. I mainly post from my phone and I don't have the thumbular dexterity since defending my pug from a mastiff to make long replies to long posts.

Saelune:
Whats the difference?

Saelune, have you ever thought about how hurtful and prejudicial you're being when you say things like this? Have you thought about how it makes people feel to be accused to be something they aren't? It's saying things like this that make you just as prejudiced and bigoted as anyone else.

Sonmi:
Shocker, Western people care about what happens in Western countries similar to theirs, where mass violence is not the norm, more than they care about what happens in wartorn countries.

Which is my question, why?

If we live in such multicultural countries, in which ever citizen is just as important as the other, and all cultures are held in equal value, why does it matter where an event takes place?

What about attacks that happen in nations like India, or Pakistan? These are not war-torn nations, they're close to economic and living standards are "The Western World" is.
What reason do you have to not care about these other than their skin colour and culture?

MrCalavera:

Cool. Start a thread about that one, so people can discuss it, then.

264 occurred in January alone.

I'd have to make about 9 threads a day.

Added to that, I'm not the one who made this thread to begin with.

BreakfastMan:
He already thinks western nations are a war zone, because he thinks whites are being genocided. It is all the same to these people. To them, seeing a brown person walking down the street or having a kebab or taco shop open in their neighborhood is the equivalent of dropping a bunker-buster on a daycare.

Or, I guess we're just capable of reading statistic, I guess?

I mean, we have thousands upon thousands of Islamic terror attacks a year. My argument is that these are just as wrong and deserve just as much attention from people who care about these things as this attack does, and, if you're incapable of providing that attention or care, you have to ask yourself why that is.

Agema:

I have no connection to these people what so ever. It's disgusting you'd insult the memory of these people by even comparing me to their murderers. You should take some time to think about what you said.

Theres probably going to be a few copycats in the next couple of days.

Marik2:

Claims of revenge attacks have also cropped up over social media.
I must admit, despite being against these acts of terror, people seem awful willing to act out the intended affects of it.

The Lunatic:

Marik2:

I must admit, despite being against these acts of terror, people seem awful willing to act out the intended affects of it.

Why not? We let Osama Bin Laden win

The Lunatic:

Marik2:

I saw a twitter from an ISIS guy saying revenge will be coming soon, and some guy is waving a handgun at a Beverley Hills mall. Not sure how accurate either story is right now.

The Lunatic:

BreakfastMan:

Or, I guess we're just capable of reading statistic, I guess?

I mean, we have thousands upon thousands of Islamic terror attacks a year. My argument is that these are just as wrong and deserve just as much attention from people who care about these things as this attack does, and, if you're incapable of providing that attention or care, you have to ask yourself why that is.

I see you are not denying my characterization of your beliefs.

Marik2:

The Lunatic:

Marik2:

I saw a twitter from an ISIS guy saying revenge will be coming soon, and some guy is waving a handgun at a Beverley Hills mall. Not sure how accurate either story is right now.

Well the guy who posted an assault rifle with arabic written on it in the same style as the shooter was suspended from twitter so I guess that tweet was real.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked