Armchair legal advice needed.

Hey, I have a somewhat complicated question. Last month my father committed suicide, in his note we found out our house not only entered foreclosure but was even sold.

However, during the auction of the house, it sold for more then what was owed. My Dad was contacted by one of these vulture companies, and they cut him a check, for around 40% of what he would have gotten if he could have waited about 6 months or so. (Again, without me or my mother knowing about it)

To make matters even more complicated, my moms signature on the vultures contract was forged. And recently they filed a claim with the state on proceeds from that auction. Furthermore, in the claim they submitted to the court, they had my dad signing the contract with my mother, a month after he had passed.

So my question is twofold, is the contract still valid? What about the money they gave us upfront? Not sure if we will have to pay that, as it was not only predatory and would shock the conscious of the court, but they forged the signatures.

I know I should probably go to a lawyer, and have taken a half step in that direction. (Hiring another company in the same field to go after the vultures)

Slight update: The vulture firm is really screwed in my opinion. I got certified mail of the documents they submitted to the court. They have my dad and mom signing their contract a month after he died. To add even more detail, they even got it notarized. Funnily enough, they might end up going to federal jail if I understand the law. Not sure anyone would buy them acting in good faith after forging signatures and trying to get about 60% return on a 2-8 month investment. Also probably federal jail because of the amounts they are attempting to defraud us out of.

So it looks like a threefold issue, they contacted my Dad(which is a big nono from what I understand, third party companies are ok, but lawyers reaching out isn't). They didn't get my mother to sign the document (they forged it.). They didn't notarize document at the time of signing. I know this because my dad kept a digital copy of the agreement that had his signature, but no notary sig. Lastly, and most damning, they have my dad and mother signing a contract well after my dad had died. (So imo, it lends more credence to my claims that my mother never signed anything to begin with)

At this point I am tempted to make the vulture company fight me if they want their money back. Far as I am concerned, they attempted to scam not only me, but my mother. I just realized the scam in time to avoid the trap and walk away with their money.

Wow. Firstly, sorry for the unfortunate loss of your father and these ensuing seedy complications; no one deserves to have to go through something like this.

Secondly, as serious as this is, I'm not sure a gaming website forum is a good place for good advice. If you've not, I strongly encourage you to seek legal representation despite the apparent deluge of evidence in your favor. I'm many things; legally well-read I am not, but I do know the old adage is true: [He] who represents himself has a fool for a client. The law, on paper, is black and white, but legal issues tend to be swathed in shades of grey where lawyers and their firms mold themselves on their ability to shape that ambiguity to fit their desired narrative, for good or ill, and that often takes an intimate knowledge of law and legal precedents that the average Joe normally doesn't have.

That's all I'll say about that; I sincerely hope this pans out in your favor, and again, my condolences.

Yeah this probably isn't the best place. But, my Dad basically destroyed my finances before he died. He drained my savings account down to $34 and maxed out my credit card. Oh and he maxed out my mothers and his credit card as well, to the tune of 30k. (Thankfully, collections for that card knocked the cost down to 14k) -- To add even more icing to the cake we found out we owed back taxes of around 10k.

I, just needed to vent a wee bit. Last few years I was working with my dad in his consulting business, and taking care of my mother, who has early onset dementia. So my social life is fairly nonexistent at this point. Oh and cant even talk to the neighbors we lived next to for years, as we had to move out into a rental.

I was joking with my neighbors, when I was packing boxes for the move, that I am just shy one dead dog for an epic country music song.

So yet another update, it turns out that when the vulture company delayed the second payment and we asked why it wasn't delivered, and gave our banking information, which they already had it would be considering continuing the contract.

In our defense, we didn't realize how badly screwed we were. That they forged signatures in the original contract. The second defense is that we can claim the deal was predatory. 40 cents on the dollar for a 2-8 month loan with zero legal complications strikes me as predatory. However I am not a lawyer. (Also them sending out a second set of forged signatures, clearly forged as my dad was dead when they claimed he signed it)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here