when Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto says to stay tuned for future Nintendo Directs / Direct if you want to see the next Super Mario game. He's a troll.

When’s the New Mario Game? Shigeru Miyamoto Has a Funny Answer

Today we published an article about the decision to not make Princess Peach a “damsel in distress” for The Super Mario Bros Movie, but that same Variety interview has some other gems in it too. Particularly, Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto was asked when we can expect the next new Super Mario video game, so he gave an amusing non-answer: Just keep watching Nintendo Direct presentations.

Recommended Videos

Specifically, Variety asked, “Now that we have the movie and Super Nintendo World amusement park, when can we expect a new Mario game?” Miyamoto responded, “Well, all I can say is please stay tuned for future Nintendo Directs,” and then he laughed kind of hard. It’s practically a case of (friendly) trolling from Miyamoto, and under normal circumstances, this wouldn’t constitute news at all. But considering the fact that Nintendo has had basically nothing to say about a brand new Super Mario game on Nintendo Switch since the Bowser’s Fury portion of the Super Mario 3D World remaster in 2021, we kind of have to cling to these scraps.

There was a rumor that a new 2D Super Mario game is in development, but it’s only that — a rumor. It could prove to be nothing, and there’s at least a fifty-fifty chance at this point that the next new Super Mario game will be exclusive to a Nintendo Switch successor console. The only way to know for sure is to keep watching Nintendo Direct like Shigeru Miyamoto suggests.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article 90 Day Fiance: Are Gino and Jasmine Still Together? Answered
Read Article X-Men ’97: How Is Vulcan Connected to Cyclops?
Combined stills of Cyclops and Vulcan in X-Men '97 Season 1
Read Article Taylor Swift Fans Think Her New Album Confirms Her Role in Deadpool & Wolverine
Dazzler using her powers in Marvel Comics.
Related Content
Read Article 90 Day Fiance: Are Gino and Jasmine Still Together? Answered
Read Article X-Men ’97: How Is Vulcan Connected to Cyclops?
Combined stills of Cyclops and Vulcan in X-Men '97 Season 1
Read Article Taylor Swift Fans Think Her New Album Confirms Her Role in Deadpool & Wolverine
Dazzler using her powers in Marvel Comics.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.