Gears of War Live-Action Movie & Animated Series Announced at Netflix

Netflix live-action Gears of War movie adult animated series cartoon release date cast actors The Coalition Dave Bautista

To celebrate the 16th anniversary of the game franchise, Netflix and developer The Coalition have partnered to announce a live-action Gears of War movie and adult animated series, “with the potential for more stories to follow.” The Gears of War live-action movie will happen first, but a release date, casting, or basically anything else pertaining to the movie or animated series has not been revealed by Netflix. However, for fans of the franchise, the fact that this is genuinely happening is probably good enough news for now.

Recommended Videos

The Gear of War franchise has been trying to get a movie off the ground since at least 2007, exchanging hands from one studio to another and from one writer to the next on several occasions. Netflix is the group to actually make it a reality though, in addition to whatever this adult cartoon turns out to be.

Gears of War originally launched for Xbox 360 on November 7, 2006, developed by Epic Games. The franchise exchanged hands to The Coalition for Gears of War 4 in 2016, marking arguably one of the smoothest transitions of a celebrated franchise from one developer to another. (343 Industries watches on longingly from a distance.) Most recently, Gears of War 5: Hivebusters launched on Xbox and PC to praise.

Anyway, now is the time to yell at your closest Netflix executive to cast Dave Bautista in the movie, since he so badly wants to be in it.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Who Is the Beyonder In Marvel Canon?
The Beyonder in New Avengers: Illuminati #3, by Jim Cheung
Read Article X-Men ’97: Who Is Madelyne Pryor, AKA Goblin Queen?
Madelyne Pryor/Goblin Queen in X-Men '97, Season 1, Episode 3, "Fire Made Flesh"
Read Article Doctor Who Season 1/Series 14: Who Does Jinkx Monsoon Play?
Jinkx Monsoon as an unnamed villainous character in Doctor Who Season 1/Series 14
Related Content
Read Article Who Is the Beyonder In Marvel Canon?
The Beyonder in New Avengers: Illuminati #3, by Jim Cheung
Read Article X-Men ’97: Who Is Madelyne Pryor, AKA Goblin Queen?
Madelyne Pryor/Goblin Queen in X-Men '97, Season 1, Episode 3, "Fire Made Flesh"
Read Article Doctor Who Season 1/Series 14: Who Does Jinkx Monsoon Play?
Jinkx Monsoon as an unnamed villainous character in Doctor Who Season 1/Series 14
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.