Your hands tremble a bit as you slowly, painstakingly, make the last of the markings. A bead of sweat slides down your forehead, but you can't spare the minute movements it'd take to wipe it away; a single mistake could spell out lethal consequences further down the line. This Circle has to be perfect. Anything less and you might as well go ahead and surrender now.
Finally, with nothing but the utmost care guiding your fingers, you complete the Circle. Panting slightly, and finally managing to wipe that sweat out of your eyes, you stand back and admire the finished product, a bit of pride flaring in your chest. You've had to make quite a few Circles over your career as a Magus, but there's no doubt that this one is your best yet. Nearly ten feet across and full of extraordinarily intricate curves, lines, and shapes, the Circle stands as a testament to your superior skills and capabilities.
After all, there's a reason you were chosen to participate in the Sixth Holy Grail War.
But that's enough ego-stroking for now. You may have drawn the Circle, but that's far from the most important thing you'll be doing tonight. No, it is this next part of the ritual that's most important.
You peruse the ancient texts one last time, making sure that you've got the incantation memorized. You're going to recite it perfectly, with not a single line out of place or a single syllable slurred. You spent all that time finding the perfect Relic and preparing everything else, after all. There's no way you're going to slip up here, not at the final step.
"Fill, fill, fill, fill, fill! Repeat five times. But destroy each when filled."
The first line leaves your lips without error as your skin begins to crawl. You can feel the latent magical energy in the air responding to you, becoming charged with a power unlike any you've ever felt before.
"A base of silver and steel. A foundation of stone and the Archduke of Contracts. And my ancestor, my great master, Schweinorg. A wall to block the falling wind. The gates of all four directions close. From the Crown, come forth and follow the forked road to the Kingdom."
The second verse, likewise, is uttered perfectly. The power that fills the air becomes more and more palpable, its strength slowly growing as you recite the words. Though the power seems to surround your entire body, you can feel it beginning to concentrate around your right hand, around the trio of Command Seals that mark you as a Master.
The Circle begins to glow with an otherworldly light as you continue.
"I hereby propose: My will shall create thy body, and thy sword shall create my fate. Abiding by the summons of the Holy Grail, if thou dost accede to this will and reason, answer me!"
Grasping your wrist in your other hand, you extend your right palm to the brilliantly shining Circle, having to squint lest the light blind you.
"I hereby swear, I will be all that is good in the eternal world. I will be the disposer of evil in the eternal world."
One more verse.
"Thou, clad with the great Trinity, come forth from the circle of constraint. Guardian of the Heavenly Scales!"
The light grows brighter and brighter, until it climaxes in a brilliant flash! Gasping reflexively, you stagger back a couple steps, rubbing at your eyes as stars dance before them.
"I ask you."
You stop mid-stride as a new voice reaches your ears. Strong, and carrying the weight of countless years, it takes hold of you and rivets your feet to the floor. Blinking away the last of the dots that cloud your vision, you stare into the mist that has sprung forth from the Circle, locking eyes with the figure who stands in its center.
A Heroic Spirit called forth, by you, from the annals of history and legend. A mighty warrior whose praises have been sung and spoken of for untold ages. A relic of the past, neither alive nor dead, summoned into this modern era to fight by your side.
"Are you my Master?"
Hey there everyone, Pappytech here! Fan of anime and fantasy, citizen of the RP forum, and all around crazy guy, I'm here today to try and interest you all in this new, original, and fairly bizarre RP idea of mine!
Now, I'd imagine that a few of you can guess what the source material I'm using based on the title. However, for those of you who don't peruse visual novels or anime as much as I do, I'd like to say that this RP is based on the Fate series, one of game company Type-Moon's most popular line of visual novels. If you're familiar with the lore and setting of the games, then great! If not, then please feel free to read through the summaries I've set up below; while I can't promise 100% depth or accuracy, it'll be more than enough to introduce you to the basics of the Fate universe.
Now, to those of you who managed to read through all that without dying of boredom, well done! Hopefully I've managed to give you a good grasp on the basics of the Fate universe, and if I didn't I hope you'll make sure to tell me what I missed in the comments below.
As you've likely guessed, this RP will follow the events of the Sixth Holy Grail War, taking place in Fuyuki City in the year 2012 (yes I know I'm breaking lore, but I don't want to set it fifty years in the future) Now, as mentioned above, said War will be fought between seven teams of Masters and Servants. The keyword there being "teams".
As far as I can see, there are two ways this RP can go. First, each of the players will control a Master and Servant team, writing up both of the sheets and playing both the characters at the same time. But, while this option would probably be fairly easy to implement, I'd rather try and go with the second choice: each player controls a single Master or Servant and is paired with another player, forcing them to work together and coordinate their movements. Personally I find this option to be much more interesting than the former.
However, that's just my opinion. If people feel like it'd be too difficult to work together like that, then we can always fall back to the initial option where everyone controls both a Master and Servant.
Anyway, now that I've laid that out, time to get to the ground rules. In no particular order:
1. Post Length/Quality: Long story short, I don't really care for one-line posts. While I'm not going to hold everyone to an insanely harsh standard, I would like to see a couple paragraphs (at the very least) per post. In addition, posts that are absolutely riddled with grammar or spelling errors are frowned upon; while I can put up with it to a certain extent, if I'm running into a misspelled word every other sentence I start to get annoyed.
2. No God-Modding, Trenchcoating, Etc.: Really shouldn't have to explain anything here.
3. Combat: Considering that this is RP is focused around the Holy Grail War, it should come as no surprise that players will be fighting against each other. As this is a rules-free RP, it will be up to me, as the GM, to decide who wins or loses a fight. While my decision will be final, I can tell you that it will be influenced by a couple factors, namely the quality of the combatants' posts.
Simply put, if you want to win a fight, write long and write hard. If your post wows me more than your opponent's, odds are you'll win.
4. Death: Again, what with this being a War and all, players are going to die. Barring unforeseen circumstances, this will probably mean that dead players are effectively kicked from the RP. However, if you've impressed me enough, I'll try and do everything in my power to keep you around, with either GM reality-defying magic or giving you control of a NPC.
5. Don't be a Jerk: I know that it's the internet, but there's no reason we all can't be somewhat civil. Joking and teasing is fine, obviously, but if someone is being an asshole they will be politely asked to stop, or possibly leave.
6. Regularity: To be perfectly clear: real life is more important than internet life. If you've got a test coming up or need to work some overtime and won't be able to post as much, then of course I understand. Let me know and we'll try to work something out. If, however, you disappear for a couple weeks without warning or explanation... Well, I can only auto someone along for a limited time.
Um... Okay, yeah, I think that's about it. Next up is the character sheets, and I think that's about it!
Considering the secretive nature of Servants, they will have two separate sheets. A public one, which will be posted in this thread, and a private one which should be PMd to me.
I would prefer it if all interested players would write up both a Master and Servant sheet, at least for now. If you only submit one, it's likely that I will not consider accepting it unless it is of the highest caliber.
Alright, I think that about wraps it up! Questions? Complaints? Make sure to leave a comment, and I'll do my best to address it.