Queens of WaterDeep - recruitment / comment thread

The infamous "jewel of the cat" is being exhibited by the mysterious Lady 'Darksmyth' at her mansion in the City of WaterDeep. Legends of the beauty & power contained within this jewel are almost as notorious as the gossip and mystery of the Lady Herself.

It is well known by the inhabitants of Waterdeep that no-one has ever broken into her mansion and lived, and that any attempt would undoubtedly result in a painful and horrific death. However the Lady Darksmyth is holding a masquerade party in a few days time, where only the most fabulous and glamorous will be admitted.

Adventurers will be tasked to find fabulous and amazing costumes/outfits/disguises to gain entry to the masquerade. If they gain entry, survival glory and wealth may well await inside... or perhaps a dark painful demise?

Queens of WaterDeep will be a Free form RPG set in a traditional D&D style world aiming to take traditional style characters and force them to undertake a rather unusual set of challenges which will subvert both the character but the concept of these roles, their genders and the challenges normally found within an RPG. Unusual, fun and subversive, Queens of WaterDeep aims to provide a very different experience within a traditional RPG setting. If you've ever longed to see your barbarian have to roll to save vs. Blushing, or thought your thief would look so much better in sequins, this may be the RPG for you....

The game itself will be played using the 'fate' system, which focusses on storytelling & fun over stats & dice rolling ( I'll provide some more detail in regards to this shortly ).

Sheets info ( provisional - I'll make something pretty if you want )

By Far the most important aspect is your characters Bio, and ( if you can think of some ) traits. Nothing is out of bounds, but don't be surprised if the GM wants to barter down your "strength of he-man" trait down to something more.... interesting. Also as the GM I'd realy like to see characters being kinda stereotypical, this sort of adventure works when the characters are uncomfortable, having a Warrior with "Fabulous footwear" as a trait is actually less interesting in this sort of scenario. Whereas "incredibly Manly strength" adds a kinda awesome flavour the the proceedings.
--------------

DM/GM'ed & written by myself ( for myself mostly). For a minimum of 3 characters, though I see no reason to put a maximum number on it. Play will take place here in a dedicated thread, and via PM's when required.

please feel free to submit sheets.....
Thoughts?

i would think about making a sheet if you had a sheet to put down.
D&D style?

booksv2:
i would think about making a sheet if you had a sheet to put down.
D&D style?

D&D setting, but using something more like the fate system ( I think thats what it's called )

I'll knock up a sheet, but in essence:

CHARACTER SHEET
----------------------------------------------------------
Name:
Race:
Class:
Bio:
----
The above are primarily for flavour, the Bio being the most important, You're adventurer will have already had an adventure (you make this up, your own whim) which has spread their fame across the land ( to some extent at least ), and it'll help choosing feats.

-------------
TRAITS:
-----------
Note: each character starts with 4 'fate' points ( this will make sense later)

Each character starts with four traits, the more interesting the better.
eg. Strong, is actually kinda boring. "made of Iron" is slightly better, "as strong as they are dumb" is Actually kinda awesome. Similarly "ear to the ground" might be kinda good at getting gossip, but "tavern drinker" is much more interesting.

Your traits will have 2 uses, firstly you can spend a fate point to use it in a positive way, but secondly, the GM can give you the option to earn a fate point by having a trait expressed in a negative way. The GM may talk with you to adjust your traits before play starts

Personally I like this method, because it reduces dice rolls ( good for math intolerant groups, and online places), and also because it encourages interesting characters, it also encourages players to have slightly flawed characters. Don't worry if you can't think of any, the GM can talk it over with you.
------------------
GEAR
------------
Each player gets 10 gold 2 portions of food health potion, a luck potion ( hey look I'm an old FF boy ), and 'standard' gear they'd expect to have in their class.
EG. a warrior can have Iron sword & armour , but is unlikely to have the "armour of the crushed god" at start.
-----------------------------

A bit wishy washy? no numbers or dice rolls? there are a few stats that players will get, but these are generally determined by class, and with discussion with the GM, to fit your character ( these generally fit into strength,wit,dexterity & speed ) - ( yeah ok I don't have my book to hand, lemme get back to this later).

By Far the most important aspect is your characters Bio, and ( if you can think of some ) traits. Nothing is out of bounds, but don't be surprised if the GM wants to barter down your "strength of he-man" trait down to something more.... interesting. Also as the GM I'd realy like to see characters being kinda stereotypical, this sort of adventure works when the characters are uncomfortable, having a Warrior with "Fabulous footwear" as a trait is actually less interesting in this sort of scenario. Whereas "incredibly Manly strength" adds a kinda awesome flavour the the proceedings.

Define "a traditional D&D world", please. Waterdeep is a thing from the Forgotten Realms setting, so is this taking place there or in a homebrew setting? What D&D classes would be allowed, the standard ones from the PHB, ones available in FR, or any D&D base class? What general level will the characters/party be at? What is the racial/cultural makeup of Waterdeep? Must we stick with the 6 PHB races (human/elf/dwarf/etc) or can we go for something like a Githzerai or Aasimar?

deathbydeath:
Define "a traditional D&D world", please. Waterdeep is a thing from the Forgotten Realms setting, so is this taking place there or in a homebrew setting?

The best explanation here is that it's 'based on' the WaterDeep of Forgotten Realms setting, but with heavy liberties in favour of fun and silliness. Basically don't expect it to be canon, or even close to. I'll re-write the initial blurb at some point today to better reflect this.

What D&D classes would be allowed, the standard ones from the PHB, ones available in FR, or any D&D base class? What general level will the characters/party be at? What is the racial/cultural makeup of Waterdeep? Must we stick with the 6 PHB races (human/elf/dwarf/etc) or can we go for something like a Githzerai or Aasimar?

This will Not be played using the (a)D&D system, gameplay mechanics will be based upon the fate system used in RPG's such as "spirit of the century".
choosing a race and class are mainly for flavour and to help you to define your character. I've no limits on race / class at all. If you want to be a sentient hippogriff ranger feel free (though finding shoes in-game may be a problem). No put away that handbook... thats right just step away.... Hell if you want to invent a race, feel free, as long as you explain where & how you ended up adventuring and got to waterdeep.

Keep in mind that your characters will be running round town trying to figure out ways to get into the masquerade ball ( can carry out the heist once in), this isn't a dungeon-crawler, more of a mall-crawler. the more unprepared your characters are for high-society, the more fun it's going to be.

Starter levels? Your character will have had an adventure or two before, but they would still be what you would consider 'low-level'.

What is the racial/cultural makeup of Waterdeep?

While notionally following the basic population of waterdeep ( mostly human, some dwarfs,elfs, half-orcs etc ) you'll be encountering more exotic races as part of your adventure. Harpy seamstresses, Vampire tap-dancers, sorcerous interior designers (mostly human.. though those ears... ). Adventurers will be mixing ( or trying to ) with high society and all the strange eccentricity that brings.

I'll be updating the OP with further details in the next day or so.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked