Avatar - The Search (Interest/Recruitment Thread based on The Last Airbender)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The year is 0 AG - The Year of the Dragon

Tension between the Fire Nation and the Nations has increased, the threat of war looms over the world.
Shortly after his confirmation as Avatar, Aang was sent to the Eastern Air Temple to continue his training, however shortly after this, he suddenly went missing.
As Fire Nation outposts continue to present themselves over the Earth Kingdom lands, and even around the frozen poles, this threat of imbalance requires the Avatar to return.

Only a few weeks after his dissapearance, multiple search parties are sent for him, mostly from the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation, both for very different reasons.
Knowing the fate of the world without the avatar, the nations know the importance of finding the Avatar, either to assist him... Or to put an end to him.

Sozan's Comet has not yet come, but it is fast approaching, and the Air Nomads are unprepared for the devastation that is about to unfold upon them.
Earth Kingdom scouts have confirmed sightings of large forces approaching the several air tempals, whatever Sozan is planning, it will alter the balance of the world completely.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to 'Avatar - The Search' the basis of this rp is really in the name.

So as for your character, their current location can be anywhere in the world, if you want this to be a major city, is has to be named, but if you want to create a small town, you can use your imagination.

This link may be helpful in naming your character:

But remember, there's a million Lee's in the fire nation ^.^

The canon lore is not greatly extensive, but you can find most of it here http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_the_World_of_Avatar

Anyone can apply, even those relatively new to rp

Currently Accepted Characters
(If yours is not on this list and I haven't stated it won't be, it's either because I haven't looked at it yet or I am undecided)

Sounds interesting, lemme think about it for a bit, then I'll get back to you. I still have to figure out what kind of character I want...

CrazyGirl17:
Sounds interesting, lemme think about it for a bit, then I'll get back to you. I still have to figure out what kind of character I want...

All good, no rush.

Reserving a space for this, always enjoyed Avatar. Character sheet to be posted soon.

Feel free to write down the basis of any character you think of, to give others considering sheets some insight.

Tell me if it's acceptable in the timeframe.
An earth kingdom protégé-swordsman turned hermit monk, who after losing his legs to a fire-bender assassin going after the king of Ba-Sing-Se becomes an experiment catried by his father and his collegues, where they transplant him with crude metal legs to carry him along. Disgusted by his own deformaty and torn between the past and the future the boy turns to Taoist and Zen principles to calm himself and flee his everlasting pain. Ot worked out well until one night he came to visit his father, failed to stop his death due to his legs malfunctioning and turned again to a cripple. From there he came down to the bottle and became a joke. The next royal physician, fascinated by the work of his predecessor offered to restore his legs if he returns to the service of the king.

Why would he go after the avatar? Because he's told to.

Ok, this is what I got so far, lemme know if I need to change anything:

TheIronRuler:
Tell me if it's acceptable in the timeframe.
An earth kingdom protégé-swordsman turned hermit monk, who after losing his legs to a fire-bender assassin going after the king of Ba-Sing-Se becomes an experiment catried by his father and his collegues, where they transplant him with crude metal legs to carry him along. Disgusted by his own deformaty and torn between the past and the future the boy turns to Taoist and Zen principles to calm himself and flee his everlasting pain. Ot worked out well until one night he came to visit his father, failed to stop his death due to his legs malfunctioning and turned again to a cripple. From there he came down to the bottle and became a joke. The next royal physician, fascinated by the work of his predecessor offered to restore his legs if he returns to the service of the king.

Why would he go after the avatar? Because he's told to.

Well as far as prosthetics go, the combustion bender in the first series had perfectly working metal prosthetics, so having more crude or experimental ones makes good sense. If he turns to Taoist and Zen principles, perhaps he hung out with the air nomads for a little while? As I can't see him learning them from many other nations.
Also maybe give him a drive to find the avatar, perhaps to regain his honour or redeem himself.
Would his malfunctioning legs become a factor into the rp? As this may create some interesting situations and character development.

CrazyGirl17:
Ok, this is what I got so far, lemme know if I need to change anything:

Don't make her mad, got it :D

I like the character, and can't see anything wrong with it so far.

I tried.

TheIronRuler:
snip

I don't think the rocket launcher is going to work out, this time period is simply too early for that kind of tech, I don't think it was even seen in any part of Korra. This is more of a time of blasting jelly and maybe some fire nation explosives (there are a lot of non-firebending fire nation soldiers who use these in 'the last airbender', so 100 years prior to that perhaps they are still around).
Also it might be better if he were younger, as the aim is that although the characters are powerful, they are not masters of their abilities.
Also your ultimate should be something used very rarely, as in something that you can't really control the occurrence of, that's why I mentioned it could perhaps be brought on by a certain: emotion, situation, or climate, ect..

Alright, got a thing up, though whether that's a good thing or not is debatable.

Scratch this comment, lol

JaceArveduin:

So his weapon is also earthbent? Wouldn't it be more of a club then? Or does he form some sort of sharp earth sword?
Also for the second part of your bio, what do you mean by rumors? Do you mean the rumors of your own people who live near the city?

One of the main things though, is you kind of need to generate a reason for why your character would leave his current position, because if it's just for hired pay, I'm not sure how I would implement that.

Random Fella:

TheIronRuler:
snip

I don't think the rocket launcher is going to work out, this time period is simply too early for that kind of tech, I don't think it was even seen in any part of Korra. This is more of a time of blasting jelly and maybe some fire nation explosives (there are a lot of non-firebending fire nation soldiers who use these in 'the last airbender', so 100 years prior to that perhaps they are still around).
Also it might be better if he were younger, as the aim is that although the characters are powerful, they are not masters of their abilities.
Also your ultimate should be something used very rarely, as in something that you can't really control the occurrence of, that's why I mentioned it could perhaps be brought on by a certain: emotion, situation, or climate, ect..

.I'm not a bender. I can't go into avatar state or something like that. I'll scrap the rocket launcher, I suspected it won't pass.

The ultimate sounds like something I won't be using at all. I don't know what a non bender could have.

TheIronRuler:
snip

It's not something that you need to have, just a little extra to make your character a bit unique skillwise.
It can also be something like an enhanced state, not just an enhanced bending ability thing.
But again, if you don't want one, you don't have to make one just to fill the gap.

Random Fella:

So his weapon is also earthbent? Wouldn't it be more of a club then? Or does he form some sort of sharp earth sword?
Also for the second part of your bio, what do you mean by rumors? Do you mean the rumors of your own people who live near the city?

One of the main things though, is you kind of need to generate a reason for why your character would leave his current position, because if it's just for hired pay, I'm not sure how I would implement that.

It has an edge, though you won't be splitting any hairs with it. Being made of stone, the blade will be heavy enough that the force behind it will do the cutting. They won't be invulnerable either, if I end up hitting a good chunk of plate or some equivalent object they'll break. Same for the shield.

And woops, looks like I accidentally deleted a part of it with realizing. I should probably also mention that, while honorable, his family also has connections to the seedier part of the world.

JaceArveduin:

Random Fella:

It has an edge, though you won't be splitting any hairs with it. Being made of stone, the blade will be heavy enough that the force behind it will do the cutting. They won't be invulnerable either, if I end up hitting a good chunk of plate or some equivalent object they'll break. Same for the shield.

And woops, looks like I accidentally deleted a part of it with realizing. I should probably also mention that, while honorable, his family also has connections to the seedier part of the world.

Ah okay, I was wondering if you had missed a line or two there xD

Evrant:

Cool, looks good.
Did you say he had knowledge of the comet or no?

Random Fella:

Evrant:

Cool, looks good.
Did you say he had knowledge of the comet or no?

I had never really thought about it. Could be that he has knowledge of the Comet, but doesn't know about its fire enhancement capabilities.

JokerboyJordan:
Been busy these last few days but thought I should post what I have. To be finished soon.

Looks good so far.
So his chakram is used as an extension of his air-bending?

Random Fella:

JokerboyJordan:
Been busy these last few days but thought I should post what I have. To be finished soon.

Looks good so far.

Pretty much. By manipulating the air currents surrounding it he can pretty much use it as a super sharp boomerang (think Captain America's shield), with the benefits of being able to combine it's use into certain moves. i.e. air shields, air blades and the like.

By the way I'd appreciate your feedback on his Ultimate. Are its power/drawbacks acceptable?

JokerboyJordan:

Random Fella:

JokerboyJordan:

Looks good so far.

Pretty much. By manipulating the air currents surrounding it he can pretty much use it as a super sharp boomerang (think Captain America's shield), with the benefits of being able to combine it's use into certain moves. i.e. air shields, air blades and the like.

By the way I'd appreciate your feedback on his Ultimate. Are its power/drawbacks acceptable?

The only problem I have with it is it seems that he can do it on que, when it's supposed to be something triggered, and beyond the users control, at least in the beginning the user has not got control over it.
Because if your character could do something like that on que, he would already be a master airbender, which he isn't meant to be at the start of the rp.

JaceArveduin:

Just incase you were still interested, I have decided to decline your character sheet, due to not believing it will fit into the rp.
If you are still interested though, send me a pm and maybe we can get some flaws or new ideas sorted out.

This sounds fun, I'd like in :D

Superlative:

The main problem I have with this is that someone is already making an airbender, and due to the small size of the group (at this time), I can't see two airbenders getting in, which means I'd have to choose one or the other.

But as far as your actual character sheet goes, there was never a war with the Air Nation. During the start of the rp Sozan's Comet (which started the war between the fire nation and the rest of the earth), is still yet to pass, in the series the fire nation used the power from the comet to ambush the air nomads and wipe them out.
Also your ultimate should only really come from one emotional response, as it's supposed to be used very rarely.

Random Fella:

Just posting to notify that I completed my sheet. If the Ultimate is a still a point of contention I'm more than happy to just make it a defensive response (eg. a shield) to stress much like everybody else's.

Random Fella:

Superlative:

The main problem I have with this is that someone is already making an airbender, and due to the small size of the group (at this time), I can't see two airbenders getting in, which means I'd have to choose one or the other.

But as far as your actual character sheet goes, there was never a war with the Air Nation. During the start of the rp Sozan's Comet (which started the war between the fire nation and the rest of the earth), is still yet to pass, in the series the fire nation used the power from the comet to ambush the air nomads and wipe them out.
Also your ultimate should only really come from one emotional response, as it's supposed to be used very rarely.

I'll redo the origin and super but there are only 4 elements so there is going to be some overlap. Would a lightning user work?

Superlative:

Random Fella:

Superlative:

I'll redo the origin and super but there are only 4 elements so there is going to be some overlap. Would a lightning user work?

Well lightning benders are skilled fire benders who have inner peace "Lightning generation is the ability to generate and direct lightning. It requires peace of mind and a complete absence of emotion." It's not like in Korra's time however where there are a lot of people that can do it, only masters and prodigies are able to generate lightning. If you wanted to lightning bend it would either need to be in your backstory to have you be able to do this, or more fitting to the rp if you start as a firebender and come to learn your ability to generate lightning.
This link would probably explain the requirements to generate lightning better http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Firebending
And I know there's only 4 elements, but there's not a large amount of character sheets, so having two of the same fighting styles in a group of 4/5 is kind of boring.

JokerboyJordan:

The Ultimate is nice, the fact that it's a danger to everyone, makes it a lot more interesting.
For your Current Location, I hope you didn't just put it near my character for the rp :P because the point is the group will travel and the members will join relatively one or two at a time. If it's just because you saw it fitting he be there, then that's fine.

Random Fella:

For your Current Location, I hope you didn't just put it near my character for the rp :P because the point is the group will travel and the members will join relatively one or two at a time. If it's just because you saw it fitting he be there, then that's fine.

Whoops, didn't see that. I just didn't notice any other particularly large settlements outside Ba Sing Se near in the North of the Kingdom :/ Happy to change if you want.
By the way, got a time-frame of when you expect to get things started?

JokerboyJordan:

Random Fella:

Whoops, didn't see that. I just didn't notice any other particularly large settlements outside Ba Sing Se near in the North of the Kingdom :/ Happy to change if you want.
By the way, got a time-frame of when you expect to get things started?

Just an area your character would be at present, wherever you want really.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked