GDC 2009: No More Excuses - Taking the Wii Online

GDC 2009: No More Excuses - Taking the Wii Online

Emily Balistrieri reports from GDC 2009: Why does Nintendo have such a hangup taking its games online?

I assume Nintendo aren't really into online play because their afraid of ruining the 'family friendly' appeal of the Wii, which is the gold plating on the sales totals of that ridiculously popular console. After all, its hard to plausibly sell it as family friendly if the online community on WiiWare or whatever its called end up as homophobic, insulting, and so forth, as they are on the 360.

The title and summary seem in conflict with the article, the article sounded more like he's talking to third parties while the summary makes it sound like it's aimed at Nintendo. It's the third parties that fail to include proper online.

The "they don't know any better" comment, was that from the reporter or the speaker? Sounds to me like the reporter. It shows a kind of bias, the notion that there is only one way of measuring quality and that that measure is absolute and valid for everybody. The reality is that these people aren't ignorant, they are applying different standards. They don't WANT to be grizzled space marines brutally killing aliens with chainsaws on a brown-in-brown world. It's not ignorance, it's taste but it doesn't surprise me to see the gaming news industry disparage it as ignorance, after all the news industry knows only one measure of quality and they are facing irrelevance as many millions of people start using different measures that are completely unrelated to what reviewers can measure. The news industry produces the ratings you see on Metacritic but to these "ignorant" people the ratings there are worthless as they measure the wrong qualities. What do I care that a game gets a 95% rating when that was given by someone with completely different interests? The scores measure the wrong thing, that's why these people seemingly buy bad games. It's not ignorance that makes them ignore the 360 and PS3, it's the knowledge that these systems have zero value to them. Who are we to tell them they are ignorant when it's us who cannot see that they don't want what we want?

bring online content & multiplayer...just dont allow microphones to be used :D

Not be a complete jerk-off, but this article was horribly written. I've noticed The Escapist is a little less strict on rules of journalism, and that's fine, it usually makes for a more interesting read. But, out of like six paragraphs, there was one single direct quote. The summarizing and paraphrasing of his other words was, frankly, irritating to read.

I apologize for the off topicness of this post. I don't mean to redirect attention away from a topic that, actually, should really be discussed (the whole reason I clicked on the link in the first place). I was simply sharing my thoughts.

I LOVE online gaming but I have yet to play any games online for the Wii since its just too much of a hassle to go and get friend codes for the system and then for this game and that game. Why would I go to that trouble to play half-hearted online Wii games when I can jump on my PS3 and play an actual dedicated online game and be in the match within a minute? Nintendo, in their effort to make everything child friendly, has alienated the hardcore gaming market. And that's fine, that's they right, but don't expect me to go out and buy Call of Duty for my Wii when I can get it on my PS3.

Horay for online play?

Nintendo seems to have designed their online system for the primary purpose of avoiding alarmist headlines.

The Bandit:
Not be a complete jerk-off, but this article was horribly written. I've noticed The Escapist is a little less strict on rules of journalism, and that's fine, it usually makes for a more interesting read. But, out of like six paragraphs, there was one single direct quote. The summarizing and paraphrasing of his other words was, frankly, irritating to read.

I apologize for the off topicness of this post. I don't mean to redirect attention away from a topic that, actually, should really be discussed (the whole reason I clicked on the link in the first place). I was simply sharing my thoughts.

No, I completely agree with you.
I reread this sentence a few times and I still can't make complete sense of it:

"Games with online multiplayer sell half again as many copies as games without any online component at all, and that games with even just leaderboards or stats sell 25% more, so how can it be that more devs aren't taking advantage of this? "

What the hell does "sell half again as many copies" mean? Even if you take the word "again" out of the sentence, the writer contradicts the argument... in the same damn sentence. Online games sell half as many as non-online games yet games with online leaderboards sell 25% more? 25% more than what, the non-online games? So gamers crave leaderboards? What?
*head explodes*

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here