The Big Picture: SUPERMESS

Pages PREV 1 2

fix-the-spade:

Samtemdo8:

Really? Captain America, Hulk, and Iron Man were considered second stringers and obscurities?

Yes, very much so.

In fact the reason the MCU even exists as it does is because Marvel had sold off movie rights to The X-Men, Spiderman and The Fantastic 4 prior to the Disney buyout. Iron Man, Thor and Captain America were characters Marvel literally couldn't give away because they were considered second of third tier characters at best. There was an entire Blade trilogy before Iron Man had even been confirmed as happening, it was considered that obscure.

Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider and quite a few others, as well. Spider-Man and the X-Men are considered top tier, but we didn't just have a Blade trilogy first, we had an Elektra movie before we had Iron Man. Someone looked at that plot and thought "This is marketable."

It's funny how quickly perception changes, but in 2006 casting the mostly washed up Robert Downey jr to play the lead in a film about a Superhero nobody but comic fans really knew or cared about was a colossal risk for Disney to take. Yet ten years later here we are, the world would rather go and watch Iron Man than Superman. That would have sounded crazy to teenage me.

If nothing else it's a demonstration of the idea that good movies will find an audience.

It's even funnier when you consider they tried to replicate that success and make the Inhumans a thing people cared about and failed.

Goliath100:

Naqel:
Maybe because they aren't racists, they just really would like for the hero they grew up with to not be reimagined for the n-th time as a completely different character(adding a racial context IS a completely different character)?

I was talking in general, in real life. Racist doesn't care if you're of color as long as you can pass as white.

I've always found this to be a weird defense.

I've heard this from Polish people with the Witcher Netflix series saying "don't ruin OUR story by making Ciri etc. black". Why are you fine with a white american playing a Polish characater but not a black american playing a polish character? How do black Poles feel about this?

I will agree that Ciri seems to be one of the harder characters to change her race and not change her backstory compared to other characters like: the other Witchers or the Sorceresses or some of the dwarf or elf characters.

The main complaint seems to be "I find it harder to identify with a character if they are black" and that is definitely racist.

Some superheroes are difficult to keep their original backstories if they aren't white men. Captain America was a hand-picked propoganda tool in WW2 and America was way too racist at the time to give that job to anything other than a clean-cut white dude. Batman and Ironman both come from old established wealthy families and that's still mostly a privilege reserved for white americans.

But Superman is a journalist from a humble farm boy background who is also an alien. That could easily be anyone.

K12:
I will agree that Ciri seems to be one of the harder characters to change her race and not change her backstory compared to other characters like: the other Witchers or the Sorceresses or some of the dwarf or elf characters.

Is this true? I'm not trying to argue because I demand she be black or something, but I legitimately was not interested in the Witcher games and found the one story I read boring as hell. I don't know much about Ciri, and if there's a reason it's difficult, I'm convinced the people I've seen complaining doin't either, because literally the only argument I've seen is that she's Polish. Well, based on Polish culture. And that seems like it'd apply to more than just Ciri specifically.

Schadrach:

Naqel:

Goliath100:
Just letting you know: Racists don't care as long as you can pass as white.

Maybe because they aren't racists, they just really would like for the hero they grew up with to not be reimagined for the n-th time as a completely different character(adding a racial context IS a completely different character)?

No, you just don't understand the rules. Being opposed to reimagining a white character as non-white is racism, as is reimagining a non-white character as white. Suggesting that one might use other existing untapped PoC characters to tell a story or even create new characters instead of racebending existing ones is definitely racism. Because the point isn't to have more PoC representation but rather to take control of existing franchises. Because the sorts of people who push "diversity" and "inclusivity" generally don't want to create, only control.

Hell, drawing a shapeshifting genderless space rock using a too pastel version of their color palette is deserving of threats being directed at you for trying to remove the implicit racial coding of the character design, according to the Steven Universe fandom.

Didn't people wig out because Starfire, who is an orange alien, was being played by an actress of African descent? (and in post they're going to turn her orange.)

Side note: IIRC George P?rez said in an interview that he designed Starfire with a latina style in mind.

ace_of_something:
Didn't people wig out because Starfire, who is an orange alien, was being played by an actress of African descent? (and in post they're going to turn her orange.)

People wigged out because Rue was black in the Hunger Games movie.

...spoiler that's not really a spoiler: she was black in the books. Well, she was described in terms that would put her in the general ballpark of "black", because I don't remember them ever saying specifically she was black, but hopefully you get the point.

The same people were less concerned that Jennifer Lawrence was cast as an olive-skinned girl.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here