The Escapist Show: Episode 31: Electronic Arts

Episode 31: Electronic Arts

This week on The Escapist Show, we talk to Mike Verdu General Manager of EA LA, and our behind the scenes look at the EA Redwood Shores studio.

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch - "Escapist Show Theme"
Younnat - "Moderate Views"

Watch Video

Did you remember to ask them to ask EA in Guildford why they didn't give my mum the job?

Cpt_Oblivious:
Did you remember to ask them to ask EA in Guildford why they didn't give my mum the job?

Yeah, sorry man, but it didn't come up. I'll write it down for next time though.

Russ took my Pony Jam T-shirt! Give that back!

Although it is interesting to see the insides of a company and the workplace. Surprised someone had such a basic computer in that video. Looked like a tandy CRT monitor.

This was fairly interesting, but after that opening I was expecting more Sims 3 stuff.

Isn't the "Show" sign in the intro usually lowered by wires? It wasn't today.

elexis:

EA needed those wires to relocate all the bodies we found.

oke EA was good but the guy is talking about the old EA with the slogan: EA, challenge everything. now the people there should change it to: EA, buying everything. and after that making it a bad game. well lets hope that google buys EA so to save the world from worse games^^

Slycne:

elexis:

Still, there was no mention of where they hid the bodies.

InProgress:

Slycne:

elexis:

Still, there was no mention of where they hid the bodies.

This we do not speak of, for we know not who watches.

If EA's grubby fingers taint BioWare's games in any way...

D:<

Undead Dragon King:

They've said that they'll let them do their own thing, which is smart, because Bioware is already massively successful. Honestly, EA is getting better, it's Activision we have to worry about now.

orannis62:

Undead Dragon King:

They've said that they'll let them do their own thing, which is smart, because Bioware is already massively successful. Honestly, EA is getting better, it's Activision we have to worry about now.

I'd normally agree with you, but have you seen the most recent trailers for Dragon Age?

BLOOD DEATH VIOLENCE MORE BLOOD ZOMG SEX MATURE BLOOD MARILYN MANSON WAHEY!

Of course, BioWare has already said that Marilyn Manson music would not make an appearence in the game. So why include him in the trailers? The Dragon Age website has also changed from a grim but well put together fantasy theme into graphic blood splatters in the shape of dragons on a white background.

This reeks of EA marketing ploys to try and get braindead fratboys to buy the game, not for the excellent classic RPG environment, but for the blood and tittays.

It's just slightly off-putting to a long time BioWare fan like myself. This does not look like the BioWare I know.

Undead Dragon King:

orannis62:

Undead Dragon King:

I'd normally agree with you, but have you seen the most recent trailers for Dragon Age?

Of course, BioWare has already said that Marilyn Manson music would not make an appearence in the game. So why include him in the trailers? The Dragon Age website has also changed from a grim but well put together fantasy theme into graphic blood splatters in the shape of dragons on a white background.

This reeks of EA marketing ploys to try and get braindead fratboys to buy the game, not for the excellent classic RPG environment, but for the blood and tittays.

It's just slightly off-putting to a long time BioWare fan like myself. This does not look like the BioWare I know.

True, and I refuse to believe that Bioware took part in the Sonic game by their own free will. I guess I'm just glad that EA is (apparently) not touching Mass Effect 2.

Undead Dragon King:

orannis62:

Undead Dragon King:

In a strange way this is actually reassuring that BioWare made the game they wanted. EA is having to really stretch when it comes to trying to give it mass market appeal, and I am fine with that. If some "brain dead frat boy" buys the game than great. I am sure most of them will hate it, but a few might come around to appreciate what's looking to be a very fine title.

Slycne:

Undead Dragon King:

orannis62:

Undead Dragon King:

In a strange way this is actually reassuring that BioWare made the game they wanted. EA is having to really stretch when it comes to trying to give it mass market appeal, and I am fine with that. If some "brain dead frat boy" buys the game than great. I am sure most of them will hate it, but a few might come around to appreciate what's looking to be a very fine title.

That's a good way of thinking about it.

I guess the thing that slightly worries me is that BioWare had to accomodate with EA's mandates for mass-marketing. Who's to say whether or not EA might try to take more control over the production of the next idea that BioWare has? Of course, EA says that they won't interfere with BioWare's production now, but they are first and foremeost trying to generate greater profits.

BioWare has always filled a nice niche in the gaming community, and it is their consistency in delivering excellent games in their chosen field that has endeared them to their fans and peers. If EA tries to make those games more "appealing" to wider gamer audience who would normally have nothing to do with Western RPG's by diluting the gaming experience to fit more genre norms, then they are detracting from a game that would have been otherwise brillianly executed by BioWare.

All of my skepticism towards EA's intentions stems from this remarketing for Dragon Age. EA is trying to make the game appear to be something it's not. The casual observer will look at these recent trailers and think that Dragon Age is nothing but a mindless blood and sex filled hack-n-slash that plays death metal during battle scenes. You and I, however, know that Dragon Age is an upcoming RPG in the spirit of Baldur's Gate that looks excellent from what we have seen from past trailers, screenshots, and interviews.

EA's attempt to remake the image of Dragon Age is slightly unsettling. They might ask BioWare to make a fully mindless title (which EA has done before to other client developers) in the future. And that is what worries me. BioWare deserves better than that.

wow I had no idea human were working in EA. I thought it was just robots.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here