Anime Review: Air Gear

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Air Gear tries to be the cool kid at the party, and fails miserably.

Read Full Article

I stopped reading the manga because it stopped making any bloody sense.

I laughed. Oh, how I laughed reading your review. I like your style. Thanks for sharing that.

working on his extreme Air Shaft for years

Euphemism?

METAL GEAR!? Oh, no, wait, it's just another shitty cartoon.

What a hater. Not your cup of tea so you spit in it. Pathetic...

den1al:

Let me introduce you to an original concept. It's called an "opinion." Reviews are "opinions." His opinion was quite clearly outlined, along with the reasons why, in his review.

So what part of that makes him a hater or pathetic? The fact that his opinion differs from yours? Last time I checked, everybody was entitled to their own opinion. Did that change when I wasn't looking? Oh dear, I must have missed the memo. =)

If you're going to counter-argue an opinion, at least provide some qualifying statements instead of just fanboying it.

RollForInitiative:

den1al:

Let me introduce you to an original concept. It's called an "opinion." Reviews are "opinions." His opinion was quite clearly outlined, along with the reasons why, in his review.

So what part of that makes him a hater or pathetic? The fact that his opinion differs from yours? Last time I checked, everybody was entitled to their own opinion. Did that change when I wasn't looking? Oh dear, I must have missed the memo. =)

It's a new concept that has been sweeping the net for a while, Called "Like what I like, or GTFO." All sarcasm aside though, I completely agree. It's ridiculous.

I quite liked Air Gear, and it remains one of my favorite animes. I even have the soundtrack. Im quite sorry you did not enjoy it, though it certainly was a rather harsh review.

RavingPenguin:
I quite liked Air Gear, and it remains one of my favorite animes. I even have the soundtrack. Im quite sorry you did not enjoy it, though it certainly was a rather harsh review.

If you don't mind expounding upon that statement, might I ask what it was about the series that appealed to you, personally?

den1al:

Welcome to the site! I recommend reviewing the posting guidelines, especially the section under General Posting titled 'Replying to a topic', and the Moderator Wrath section 'Flaming and trolling'.

As a reminder to all: you are free to agree or disagree as you wish, but remember to keep things civil.

Have to say it was definitely not the best anime series I have ever watched but it was decent. How it ended definitely sucked without much closure to the story but it did have its fun points especially if you head into it looking for some good laughs. I though the characters were fun and entertaining as long as you are not expecting them to be to serious about themselves. Definitely not the best but definitely not the worst.

I enjoyed this anime. I thought it was a fairly entertaining show. Certainly not a top 10 but not a worst 10 either. I'd recommend it if you're hungry for more anime.

den1al:

Reviews are subjective, not objective. If you're going to read reviews expecting everything in the review to reflect your own opinion, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Anyway, very nice review, Salvan. To echo James' statement, your style is pretty slick. And you even managed to stir up a storm from the fanbase like I was hopin--*ehem* expecting from my review.

Another great review. I'm really going to miss this section coming out daily.

bue519:

I guess we'll just have to try and review quickly. ;)

Hmm I'm surprised. Air Gear is an extremely popular anime/manga series currently. I do admit it is confusing after the battle with behemoth but I still enjoy it. One thing I was really amazed at was how he didn't like the sound track. I find it to be one of the best I've heard in years. The anime received tons of awards for it's sound track so that's what threw me off.

mindlesspuppet:

Air Gear tries to be the cool kid at the party, and fails miserably.

Read Full Article

Agreed. It's one of the worst anime's I've seen in a long time.

RollForInitiative:

bue519:

Well, you better! I can't go cold turkey on these reviews, I need atleast 3 a week!
EDIT: In all seriousness though please keep this section around.

Hm! Well, that was a good review, even if I disagree with the harshness of it. I mostly watched it for lulzors and I got them for the most part (I nearly peed my pants when Ikki woke up next to the sometimes belligerent, sometimes ridiculously camp gay guy in full-on camp mode.).

midpipps:
Have to say it was definitely not the best anime series I have ever watched but it was decent. How it ended definitely sucked without much closure to the story but it did have its fun points especially if you head into it looking for some good laughs. I though the characters were fun and entertaining as long as you are not expecting them to be to serious about themselves. Definitely not the best but definitely not the worst.

the reason that it ended so badly is that it was canceld befor it got done

A wee bit harsh in my opinion.. I for one like air gear, i'm not sure why exactly.. the art isnt that great, and the story not original, but air gear has entertainment value. It's one of those shows where you can just take your brain out and watch.
But still you're intitled to your own opinion, i'm not going to berate you for that.

Though these are the opinions of someone who watched the japanese version...

eelel:

midpipps:

the reason that it ended so badly is that it was canceld befor it got done

Yeah I know but it still sucks although I could totally see if it kept going it would go the way of naruto and have 250 episode with most being filler. So maybe a good thing that it ended but still would have been nice to at least get sort of a finisher.

I've heard decent things about air gear before. So the harshness of this review really surprised me. Of course, TV, just like anything else, is subjective.

I don't seem to remember some of the complaints you had, but it has been awhile, so please bear with me. I watched Air Gear subbed, so... yeah. The rap wasn't too noticible too me because I was too busy listening to the tone of theur voices trying to decipher emotions, and reading subtitles.

Back on track, I also remember it being less choppy, but again, scanlations and subtitled episodes, which are often treated with more care (and less censoring) than what the official releases end up being. In no way was this ever intelligent (even my Otaku friend, who basically gave me an anime a week to watch, said that it was "Every kind of action retarded it could be, and all the more enjoyable for it." His words, not mine.) But you know what? Opinions. This review is yours, I got mine, we can all express our own while annoying the hell out of each other, and we're all good!

Next order of business. Please, please, please, do not ever review anything 4Kids. For the love of all that is holy, you must already know this, as an Anime reviewer, but for everyone else, I tell them. 4Kids is basically the anti-christ of anime. Anything they touch whithers and dies. One Piece? Had an Orchestral sound track, great action, and an understandable plot. Also, his name was Zoro, not... Zolo (ugh). Oh, and, you know, was about Pirates with super powers, and pretty much said "This is about Pirates. With Super Powers. People are going to die. A lot. In horrible bloody ways." And so they did. 4Kids neutered it to the point of replacing the guns with weird hammer contraptions. This just makes me sound like a sociopath, but it really, really damages the show. Also, consider this. 4Kids butchered One Piece so much that Funimation (I believe it was them) grew so offended, that they bought the rights to One Piece, and have since been re-editing (fixing back to the original action and scenes), dubbing (with better voice actors), and restoring One Piece to as close to it's former glory as they can. Also, it was probably for more business reasons, but it sounds cooler if they did it because 4Kids is horrible.

Also, and you may laugh at this, but they cut out perhaps the best season of Yu-Gi-Oh, which if you read the Manga, has Atem (Yami) going around, killing house on anyone who has ever mistreated (or ends up mistreating) Yugi or his friends. One guy, he explodes chemicals on. Another bunch of guys, he captures them in a maze of spray-paint, and than lights it on fire. Another, he lights the person himself on fire, causing him to burn to death. And yet another, he littleraly rips his soul out so that it can suffer in eternal torment by Shadow monsters as it is slowly devored for all eternity. Yeah. Awesome.

The 4Kids anime took it out, but the entire first season was also basically a bunch of really creative games that had nothing to do with card games (at one point, Atem plays Ice Hockey using spatula's, a hot griddle, and a chunk of ice that holds a vial of explosive chemicals). It had a D&D game, some Chinese game, a cool monster version of Rock-Em, Sock-em robots, and more. It's awesome. And than the Card games start, and you can pretty much stop reading/watching, because it rapidly goes into suck after that. Yeah, after I saw/read the pre-season thing, I never saw/read Yu-Gi-Oh again, which means that I pretty much don't even know how the Pegasus Island arc ends (literally, it gets that bad, that quick once they focus on one game).

Somehow, this went completely off tangent, and for that, I apologize. I also apologize if I was rude.

RollForInitiative:

bue519:

Indeed. I have to say, I'm quite liking the reviews, and this guy is definitely good at it(as are you). while I whole heartedly disagree, I'm not about to attack the guy for insulting an anime I sorta liked. Now once again, let him pray he doesn't get Eureka 7, or I will find him.

black lincon:
Now once again, let him pray he doesn't get Eureka 7, or I will find him.

You know, karma almost dictates that both he and I will have to do a double-up review on Eureka 7 at this point. ;)

I have been TRYING oh SO BLOODY HARD to like anime, but when I saw this, I am taking a break back to video games... I'll TRY and find anime I like.

den1al:

What a hater, just because he disagrees with the review, he spins it.

den1al:

Hey, a gimmick account. Nifty!

RavingPenguin:

I completely agree with this statement. I think this dude took it too seriously.

Damn waste of my time
*returns to all of his "feminine" mangas*
:D

RollForInitiative:

black lincon:
Now once again, let him pray he doesn't get Eureka 7, or I will find him.

You know, karma almost dictates that both he and I will have to do a double-up review on Eureka 7 at this point. ;)

I think it would be kind of interesting if you did that, that way I would have two people to possibly try my new "atomic dissipater" on. What that does might you ask? well it's simple, it dissipates your atoms.

The anime version of Air Gear sucks because the animation used in it couldn't keep up with the imagination of the original manga artist, and the detailed character designs in the manga is also lost in the anime, probably due to a low budget. There is much less style, as well, since many sound effects in the manga are shown prominently in the foreground like awesome graffiti tags on the page.

The manga is a lot more action-packed, too, and has much more brutal visuals during fights. Moreover, the anime stops about 1/5 through the material that the manga has burned through by now.

Sure, the premise is ridiculous and all that, but the manga parodies itself so often that I hardly see it as a problem. In short, read the manga, hang the anime with a splintery noose.

/rant

I haven't read any of the newer manga since I'm away from home. But it was pretty good fun when I read it. It's nothing serious, and you just have to lose yourself in the outrageousness and absurdity of the story. If you try to make sense of it, then everything crashes and burn.

I've watched the anime up to when he raced the big dude (that uses a tank-track AT), and it was pretty horrible. I'm not surprised though--a story like Air Gear pretty much lives or die by its visual, like the OP said. And it fail horribly in that respect.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.