Anime Review: Aquarion

Anime Review: Aquarion

Aquarion is a mecha anime that you'll probably like more than you thought you would at first. Probably.

Read Full Article

I've seen about 1/2 of this series and was not able to finish it. I never felt like I was missing anything, but I might just have to track down the rest of it now.

Is the orgasmic sensation thing true? Because that would be hilarious.

Arrers:

Yep, every time the ships merge into the giant mecha, the 3 pilots get the experience of a virtual threesome. Cheesy lines about it being so hot, amazing, etc are soon to follow. I kid you not. It's been awhile but I believe the story explanation has something to do with their souls touching. Although now that I think about it this adds a whole new level of creepy the brother and sister characters.

Arrers:

It is, indeed, true.

My personal take on the series was that it was actually quite amusing when they were trying to play up the humorous elements of it, but whenever they tried to play up the drama they faceplanted faster than a cripple getting their crutches kicked out...and it felt just as embarrassing to watch.

Slycne:
this adds a whole new level of creepy the brother and sister characters.

Especially when you consider the zeal with which the sister wanted to merge with her brother.

Slycne:

Arrers:

Yep, every time the ships merge into the giant mecha, the 3 pilots get the experience of a virtual threesome. Cheesy lines about it being so hot, amazing, etc are soon to follow. I kid you not. It's been awhile but I believe the story explanation has something to do with their souls touching. Although now that I think about it this adds a whole new level of creepy the brother and sister characters.

Okay, I'm going to have to see this show.

Slycne:

Arrers:

^ this

It had me laughing so much. You'd expect them to stop making a big deal about merging in later episodes... but they don't. Even when there is five or so merges in an episode! Those poor pilots must feel so exhausted.

RollForInitiative:

Slycne:
this adds a whole new level of creepy the brother and sister characters.

Especially when you consider the zeal with which the sister wanted to merge with her brother.

This kind of made sense come the end of the series. Though, it did feel incredibly awkward the whole time getting there.

Aquarion is unintentionally funny? This is the first time I've heard of this. I've always assumed it was a parody. Granted, I've only watched about 3/4th of it, but I should finish it soon enough.

I always skip straight to the ending theme. Yui Makino is a sweetheart <3

Yeah the orgasm thing is uber creepy...and it goes even creepier for the bro/sis...>.> I couldn't watch any more of the series cause...well I was laughin to hard to know what was going on.

yeah Aquarion is the parody of Giant Robot shows, from the orgasming, to the predictable plots, to the frigging Mugen Punch. Seriously the Mugen Punch made everything in the series worthwhile.

Though despite all the problems the series has it's all made up by the fact that in SRWZ the Sol Aquarion can nuke things from 14 squares away with the Mugen Punch

it also does a lot to clean up the plot problems of the series

The biggest problem that I have with Aquarion is that when one of the vectors got damaged in any way, Aquarion could still form. It seems like they're trying to mix in transforming jet planes and magical machine healing.

trombone2007:
The biggest problem that I have with Aquarion is that when one of the vectors got damaged in any way, Aquarion could still form. It seems like they're trying to mix in transforming jet planes and magical machine healing.

It's a Super Robot show Logic stopped being required when Aquarion first punched a Cherubim Soldier into the moon.

I remember seeing the names of the episodes of this on Xbox's Anime channel and thinking "Either this show is trying to take itself to seriously, or the names are all jokes." After reading this review, I'm still not sure.

I'm almost tempted to watch it, but I'm afraid I'd just be bored since I'm generally not a fan of the mecha anime concept. I had to be forced to watch Eva just because the first thing I saw of it was a giant humanoid shaped robot and the first thing I did was look away.

Though interestingly that could also be considered a show that A: had some pacing issues (though not quite as bad as taking until the last 6 episodes to actually get going), B: took itself too seriously and C: was confusing and deliberately withholding of information. Somehow that show worked for me though. Could've been the finale... or any number of things. But I liked it.

coldfrog:
I remember seeing the names of the episodes of this on Xbox's Anime channel and thinking "Either this show is trying to take itself to seriously, or the names are all jokes." After reading this review, I'm still not sure.

I'm almost tempted to watch it, but I'm afraid I'd just be bored since I'm generally not a fan of the mecha anime concept. I had to be forced to watch Eva just because the first thing I saw of it was a giant humanoid shaped robot and the first thing I did was look away.

Though interestingly that could also be considered a show that A: had some pacing issues (though not quite as bad as taking until the last 6 episodes to actually get going), B: took itself too seriously and C: was confusing and deliberately withholding of information. Somehow that show worked for me though. Could've been the finale... or any number of things. But I liked it.

Eva struggled with funding all the way through to the end, add in the fact that Hideko Anno was off his Anti-Depressants and well... you start to understand how it went from serious if slightly light deconstruction of the mecha genre too "Lets see how much we can bend Shinji until he snaps"

If you ever look to get a more flowing new interpretation check out the Rebuild of Evangelion movies (As they are released) since Anno is off the depressants and has enough funding for the 4 movies.

Though I don't get how you don't like Giant Robots (Big mecha fan so the concept is ALIEN to me)

Haven't finished this series yet but I do have to say watching it with subtitles is definitely the only way to watch this one the dubbed really does leave out alot of the story. After watching complete collection box 1 I have to say I really liked it so far it is definitely a little different and does not seem to take itself to seriously but there are good underlying story points to it.
The opening song and the closing songs are epic also.

Onmi:

coldfrog:

Eva struggled with funding all the way through to the end, add in the fact that Hideko Anno was off his Anti-Depressants and well... you start to understand how it went from serious if slightly light deconstruction of the mecha genre too "Lets see how much we can bend Shinji until he snaps"

If you ever look to get a more flowing new interpretation check out the Rebuild of Evangelion movies (As they are released) since Anno is off the depressants and has enough funding for the 4 movies.

Though I don't get how you don't like Giant Robots (Big mecha fan so the concept is ALIEN to me)

I absolutely refuse to watch Rebuild of Evangelion as a matter of general principle just because of that irritating new female Eva pilot with the obscenely ugly plugsuit.

CantFaketheFunk:

Onmi:

coldfrog:

I absolutely refuse to watch Rebuild of Evangelion as a matter of general principle just because of that irritating new female Eva pilot with the obscenely ugly plugsuit.

Who just took half of Asuka's personality and even takes over Unit-02?! Why the BLOODY HELL would you introduce a new female JUST so her Eva could be killed in like 5 minutes and then got rid of your established character to stick HER in the machine!?

Seriously this Mari/Mara chick is just Asuka with a crap ass plug-suit with a tiny bit of Getter Robo Armageddon Ryouma in her. If they truly wanted a third female pilot just promote Hikari (who has actual art work of being inside I believe a Purple or Yellow plug suit) or bring in the chick from Girlfriend of Steel with her Trident. And then they go and change Asuka's last name so she fits with the new girl and Ayanami (The three ships are sister ships I believe)

Still you will be glad to know that the god awful centaur Eva gets reduced to a bloody pulp.

CantFaketheFunk:

I absolutely refuse to watch Rebuild of Evangelion as a matter of general principle just because it's Evangelion. You already know full well what my opinion of that series is. 0=)

RollForInitiative:

CantFaketheFunk:

I absolutely refuse to watch Rebuild of Evangelion as a matter of general principle just because it's Evangelion. You already know full well what my opinion of that series is. 0=)

Sounds like you're about as big of an Eva fan as I am...

mindlesspuppet:

You could say I have a decidedly acidic view of the series.

RollForInitiative:

mindlesspuppet:

You could say I have a decidedly acidic view of the series.

If I got cock-blocked by a DOG I would most diffidently be pissed too.
The series story progression was similar (as in HORRIBLE) as Guilty Crown's, everything fell apart in the 2nd season, the character development and plot felt rushed and inconsistent.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here