Review: Torchlight

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I read this game's info last week and if I do recall it said something about adding multiplayer.

Susan Arendt:
You can send your pet back to sell your loot? GENIUS!

I can imagine the boardroom brainstorm now:

"So, guys, what do we HATE about Diablo clones?"
[Everyone] GOING BACK TO SELL YOU LOOT!
Ding ding ding!

Bard's Tale did the same kind of thing by just auto-converting lesser-grade weapons and other loot onto cash!

The_root_of_all_evil:

Susan Arendt:

Now if you could do that in real life...

Actually no, bad idea. Artemis would just spend all the gold on whoever gave her the first ear tickle.

Artemis is a great name for a pet! What do you have? My cat's named Loki, which is both odd and fitting for a girl.

Nerdfury:

Artemis is a great name for a pet! What do you have? My cat's named Loki, which is both odd and fitting for a girl.

Need I say more? :)

Susan Arendt:

This bit of information, more than any other, put my jaw on the floor. True story.

If I can squeeze $20 out of my budget I'm picking this up.

Nice pick, I would've missed this otherwise. Since my stupid OS clashes with all 90's 2D games for some reason, this should get me my "training" for D3.

chstens:
This is EXACTLY like a game I played a few years ago called Fate.

Yeah. When I heard that there I was a cat/dog companion I thought of Fate. And the pet carrying the items is Fate-like.

Can anyone explain to me the future of torchlight? They advertised it as a "sneak preview into a future MMO". It also claims that MMO will be free to play?

Besides the inherent advantage of getting to play it now instead of whenever they release it as an MMO, why pay for it?

EDIT: Wikipedia answered my question.

Relationship to upcoming MMO

Runic plans to release an MMORPG set in the Torchlight game world 18 months to two years after the release of the single player game. Max Schaefer, Runic Games CEO and former Mythos executive producer, explained the reasoning behind releasing both a single player game and an MMO. The single player game is intended to introduce the Torchlight game world to the public ahead of the MMO. Further, it would allow the team to get a released game under their belts sooner than if they had immediately started on the MMO.[23] Also, while the Torchlight MMO will be a separate game, it will share the same action RPG gameplay and some of the art assets developed for the single player game.[14]

The MMO will feature some different game mechanics and a wider variety of environments, including a shared "over-world."[23][26] Runic has entered into a partnership with Chinese online game developer and operator Perfect World Co., Ltd. to publish the MMO worldwide.[5]

Because the MMO is planned to be free-to-play, it can be seen as a "free MMO upgrade" to the single-player Torchlight game.[27]

All the people who say: I have never played Diablo but I will try this.... THE ONLY acceptable excuse for this should be your age. If that is not the case you are daft for not playing one of the greatest pc gems out.

Nivag:
I pre-ordered this game not 2 days before this review and I'm really glad to see some footage so thanks a huge bunch Funk!

This game was made by some of the guys who worked on Diablo and some from Fate. I'm a huge Diablo fan and an even BIGGER Fate fan (which this game gets most of it's ideas from).

EDIT: By the way, as there's no demo for this game, I strongly recommended trying the demo for Fate as this game clearly derives from it.

There's a demo on steam

also it says this on steam

''Runic Games will initially release Torchlight as a standalone Single Player game, Torchlight will be released in the latter part of 2009 as a download or in box. Following the single player release, work will commence on a fully-featured MMO version.''

MMO version is the planned multiplayer then, wonder how long it'll take to make. Although I guess you'd have to pay extra.

Just played the demo a couple minutes ago.

I'm buying ASAP.

Susan Arendt:

This, pretty much.

A cursory glance at the Wikipedia page sounds like this is basically an intro to a Free-to-play MMORPG that's being released next year. I may check this out, just on that basis...

chstens:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Grand_Poohbah:

chstens:

Exactly what I was thinking.

its made by the same guys, might be why theres an resembles.

OT: this review got my intrigued, something neither the trailer nor the screenshots etc. managed, anywho, downloaded the demo and then threw 16 euros their way.

This is an EXACT copy of fate. exactly. right down to the fish, the mechanics, EVERYTHING!

Kellerb:
This is an EXACT copy of fate. exactly. right down to the fish, the mechanics, EVERYTHING!

Doesn't mean it's a bad thing though, right? In any case I'll probably pick this up to sate my hack n slash fetish until diablo III, even though the lack of co-op makes me a sad panda.

Oh god where did my last 3 hours go, damn game. click click click click

This game is simply amazing. I've spent the last couple hours playing it. I have been looking for this type of game for a while now.

Thank you, Mr. Funk, for pointing me to this game.

I salute you.

As stated before, it sounds exactly like FATE. Innovation, where art thou?

the demo was good but the music was really weird, I mean it sounds just like diablo which really doesnt fit the look of the game

I bought this... I can't stop playing. THANK YOU for easing my pain while I whine and pray to my Diablo III Shrine hidden in the depths of my closet.

chstens:

I came to post just what you said. No offense to those who like this game but it is just a polished copy of Fate. Right down to the pet mechanics. Seriously you fed fish to your pets in Fate and they changed to other creatures.

I am not sure what all the hype is over this game really its not D2 by any stretch of the imagination. Its a complete ripoff of Fate.

I just tried the demo. Really fun! I loved dual wielding matchlock pistols. I'm picking this up presently. :)

Just a couple of quick points. Both the bigwigs and a number of the lower level employees at Runic worked on Diablo I, II and the Fate games. The similarities come from this.

After Flagship Studios collapsed, what was to become Runic left. They convinced Perfectworld, which normally only funds and publishes MMOs, to let them put together a quick single player game both as a sort of "intro" to the MMO and to let off steam. The folks at Runic had just seen their baby Mythos disappear (again, Flagship collapse) and Hellgate get released way too early and way too buggy and were all rather discouraged.

So now we have Torchlight, which took just shy of a year to make and is intended to lay the groundwork for an upcoming MMO from the same studio.

The comments that this game is very similar to Diablo and essentially a slightly modified version of Fate are right on. This is meant to be a fun little one-off from the devs. Nothing genre-changing and a more Fate-like take on the whole hardcore/softcore thing.

In any case, I shelled out way more money for a much worse game (Sacred 2) and I have to say, Torchlight is a great game at $20.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Nerdfury:

[insert cat]

Need I say more? :)

Aww, she's cute! And, quite creepily, here's my creature, Loki:

CantFaketheFunk:

Dark Templar:
Cartoony graphics? Simple requirements?

My piece of crap computer might be able to play this.

It plays World of warcraft, you think it can play this?

Almost certainly. Apparently it can run on netbooks.

But sadly not on my MacBook, unlike the upcoming Diablo 3. A real shame, I would definitely have given it a try.

Holy shit the game is good...
Been playing it for a few hours now, still fairly early in the game. Amazing stuff. Why the hell would anyone want this to be turned into an MMO? This is excellent as a single player experience, the only thing missing maybe is some co-op through LAN but nothing as drastic as a MMO overhaul.

Only thing that lets the game down a bit is the concept art. The barbarian looks pretty retarded and overall the graphics just seem like rehashed version from Warcraft 3 and WoW. Environments are a bit repetative but I'll see how they turn out later in the game. Story is worthless but really...who cares?

What's the general consensus here so far from the people that have downloaded it?

Click! click clikc ckcickcl 'cramp'

CantFaketheFunk:

skeanthu:
Any Multiplayer?

I covered that in the written review. Sadly, no.

Arrived in my email this morning.

So no multiplayer right now, but soon!

A cat named Spot and a treasure chest that follows you around, well played Mr. Funk. :-)

Might have to check this out, if only for the Matt Uelmen Soundtrack.

I assumed correctly that this a Diablo clone and such I'm sooooooooo happy i got a discount for this game on steam too XD. Its damn fun. Played it last night and i couldn't stop playing. Almost went pass my bed time playing it lol.

best $17 investment i've made in a long time ^_^

MAJOR WARNING FOLKS

I just bought this game and it's fantastic, but there is a bug ostensibly with the steam release, and one that is very likely to make people angry.

Your first time playing it, the game does not save your character. Like Diablo there are no save points or active saves, just autosaves. The autosave doesn't function the first time launching the game for some reason. This appears to be a problem with the steam release, at present. Some people are reporting problems that persist with the saving beyond the first run, but that may be a different problem related to running in certain windows modes as an admin or not. They say they are working on a fix.

There's a thread about it on their forums. http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1499

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up so they didn't take their character to the first boss and then lose all their nifty loot. (As I did, alas poor Visla, your gun was awesome)

Really terrific game though, and an excellent review that brought it to my attention. I've never heard of Fate and couldn't care less if this game rips it off. It's a nice snack to tide you over until dinner.

It's really fun and I'm enjoying every minute of it. It can get pretty repetitive at times, but it's still fun.

This game really is a preview of Diablo 3. Anyone waiting for Diablo 3 NEEDS to buy this game. It's EXACTLY like Diablo in every way. Nothing groundbreaking, just plain fun.

Torchlight is so amazing that I started my own thread about how amazing it was because I didn't realise it was already reviewed here. It is teh sexxx. Everyone reading this should buy it immediately.

Woem:

CantFaketheFunk:

Dark Templar:

But sadly not on my MacBook, unlike the upcoming Diablo 3. A real shame, I would definitely have given it a try.

I believe they're working on a Mac port at the moment.

CantFaketheFunk:

Woem:

CantFaketheFunk:

Dark Templar:

I believe they're working on a Mac port at the moment.

Awesome! Where did you read that? It would be great to have a forum topic to subscribe to for instance.

They released the single player to secure funding for the multiplayer folks. The more of you that buy into the single player the faster we get the multiplayer. If you hold out for the MMO then youre only hurting yourself. Get your friends to buy this!!

And how has there been no mention of Mythos? this game IS mythos reborn.

NM: I see the Mythos tragedy has been covered. Had such potential.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here