Review: Torchlight

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Woem:

CantFaketheFunk:

Woem:

CantFaketheFunk:

Dark Templar:
Cartoony graphics? Simple requirements?

My piece of crap computer might be able to play this.

It plays World of warcraft, you think it can play this?

Almost certainly. Apparently it can run on netbooks.

But sadly not on my MacBook, unlike the upcoming Diablo 3. A real shame, I would definitely have given it a try.

I believe they're working on a Mac port at the moment.

Awesome! Where did you read that? It would be great to have a forum topic to subscribe to for instance.

From the FAQ:

Q: Will there be Mac and/or Linux-native versions of Torchlight? How about console or mobile?

A: We are currently working on a version of Torchlight for Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6+). However, the editor will likely not make the transition to Mac OS. We have not made any decisions regarding versions on any other platforms as of this time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get this without steam, because I can't use any steam games at school due to the crappy internet they give us.

"If you're reading this article, you can probably play Torchlight.

Which you should do right now."

Did. Didn't look back. Great game. Runs like a dream on my terrible laptop; even to the point where it allows fraps to record it.

Lightnr:
All the people who say: I have never played Diablo but I will try this.... THE ONLY acceptable excuse for this should be your age. If that is not the case you are daft for not playing one of the greatest pc gems out.

I second this motion.

Also...

ImmortalItalian:
...pray to my Diablo III Shrine hidden in the depths of my closet.

...glad to know I'm not alone in this act.

The pet selling loot is a great idea! It's a wonder something like that hasnt been done before.

I just played the demo and I have to say, the review was spot on. The game is loads of fun. The classes are distinct and the game is just plain fun to play.

the demo on steam gave me about 2.5 hours of game time, pretty lengthy

Also, im running 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, geforce 8600...and it runs on ALL (no joke) maxed out (with full AA and 1920x1020), with absolutely no chugging

this is how PC games should be, sacrficing graphics for performance and gameplay

Luckily the art style means you dont really notice the graphics are pretty sub par, but i guess this is why it costs half a normal game

Also, the animations are so lifelike, that it literally doesnt need uber graphics to bring the game to life...look at Fallout 3, great graphics, shoddy animations = no immersion

I played the demo, and have enjoyed the game immensly. All three of the characters are fun to play as, and the loot system (drops and vender modification) is wonderful. It Definately the best Diablo-like game that I have played in a long time.

However, before I make a purchase, I'd like to know a little more information about the length of the game. How long would a standard playthrough, start to finish, take? Can you take a character that has completed the game through again (ie. similar to how Diablo 2 handled Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties as a form of 'New Game+')? Also, any information on enemy variety, weapon/gear variety, and location/art variety would be nice.

Thanks!

I don't know. I liked Torchlight back when it was Fate. And i liked Fate back when it was DIABLO 2! Seriously, the game is a update of Fate with a little amount of character customization. You can get Fate for $10 at the right store, so I would say don't bother and wait for Diablo 3 if/when it comes out.

tharwen:
Does anyone know if it's possible to get this without steam, because I can't use any steam games at school due to the crappy internet they give us.

Pardon me for saying so, but shouldn't you not be playing games in school anyway? Unless you're a teacher of course.

OK, after playing the game a bit I have a few questions/complaints, that maybe some of you can answer.

1. Is there any re-specing of skills or stats? That was one of the 3 major flaws in diablo and they seem to have dealt with the other 2 (punishingly small bag space and constantly town portaling to sell stuff. And not being able to send stuff to other characters.).

2. Enemys don't seem to re-spawn in levels I've already cleared. And if they don't how do you grind for high end gear and levels at end game?

3. I'm having serious problems with load times, though that could just be my computer.

Is there a demo for this game? It looks pretty good.

Eric the Orange:

2. Enemys don't seem to re-spawn in levels I've already cleared. And if they don't how do you grind for high end gear and levels at end game?

In the demo, you could buy these portal scrolls that would send you to a completely random (1 or 2 floors) dungeon, outside of the main dungeon. I imagine that they will have these things covering every level range. I've also read that there are also unique versions of these dungeon scrolls that have powerful rewards that can drop. At least, I'm assuming this based on the little bit I've played.

Got it last night. It's just like diablo 1 with some new updated cartoony graphics and more loot and more effects and more streamlined controls.... and a pet.. and fishing :P. Coop missing is hard but for 20 bucks (or 17 the other day for preorder) it's amazing value. Looking forward to seeing what the community does with the world making tools.

The_root_of_all_evil:

tharwen:

Pardon me for saying so, but shouldn't you not be playing games in school anyway? Unless you're a teacher of course.

Boarding school. I spend most of my year away from home, meaning that the only internet access I get is the slow connection through the computers they provide which has such an aggressive proxy that you might as well not bother.

After a short time playing it, it seems like a pretty fun game, though so far there hasn't been much variation in terrain which is what I loved about Titan Quest

Still pretty good though, for £15 I think it's worth it

tharwen:

The_root_of_all_evil:

tharwen:

Boarding school. I spend most of my year away from home, meaning that the only internet access I get is the slow connection through the computers they provide which has such an aggressive proxy that you might as well not bother.

Ah, and I suppose hacking is frowned upon as well.

Tried it for four hours now and got some pros and cons

+ Good ol' diablo feeling
+ Make your own character! (kinda)
+ It looks good!
+ The fame/xp mech works really well (you can learn new skills by leveling fame)
+ Works really well while I am messaging!
+ Run dog! Get my money!

- It does get kinda samey when I'm doing the four side quests over and over again.
- With random lairs you do get to see the same environment over and over again, until you are praying to get to the next area.
- You might start moving your pointer at night due to the workout it gets.

Anyways decent game, will try the two other classes just to see where those specs take me. After that however, not sure.

Liberuno:
The pet selling loot is a great idea! It's a wonder something like that hasnt been done before.

It has. The game is called "Fate" and is basically the same as Torchlight, but a less polished (and even cheaper). It's still fun, though.

I really love Fate and Torchlight, because they are based on the better Diablo - Diablo 1 :).

Has anyone been to the point where he can retire his character and start a new one? How are the bonuses?

Skade:

Has anyone been to the point where he can retire his character and start a new one? How are the bonuses?

Not all that great, you get slight improvement on 1 item and your new guy starts with about 1% of your last guys fame.

CantFaketheFunk:

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
Is this for XBLA to?

Nope, PC only. This style of game isn't really suited for consoles.

Not necessarily. It's probably gonna be comparable to the likes of Dynasty Warriors if it's on consoles. Fitting all those skill buttons (plus inventory, plus stats/character/skills screen)in a controller is gonna be very hard though.

Looks like we found the ex-Blizzard folk that actually knew what they were doing.

Played the demo and I quite enjoyed it...
which is odd because I never liked Diablo 1 or 2.

I like the exaggerated colourful art-style and being able to send your pet back to sell stuff is a great mechanic.

I played as the alchemist, going to try the other classes for a bit first.
However, I'm definitely going to buy this game.

this game is almost exactly like fate

I'm looking forward to MMO release of the game.

It's a shame the team's Mythos game never was released. It was a lot of fun. Following the Diablo formula, you can't go too far wrong.

chstens:
This is EXACTLY like a game I played a few years ago called Fate.

oh yeah they even have the pet that travels back to town and stuff and the fish feeding is almost a direct copy

looks interisting and for 20$ bucks unfortunatly i saveing up for borderlands

i need job DX

Well, thanks to this review I actually learned this game existed. And thanks to this review I downloaded the demo, and realized it's exactly like Diablo II with a different art style. And then I decided to buy it. The only regret I have is that I don't have a physical copy, but I'll burn the files and keep them protected. If you liked Diablo I and II, it's the same game. Once I started the game I had flashbacks to all the sleepless nights playing through the Diablo games. And honestly, having a pet that I can send back to town for money really sold me.

This game isn't exactly friendly to newbies. This is my first time with a game that controls like this, and if I hadn't seen the random tip that tells you to press shift to not run around when shooting, I probably would have given up by now.

I bought game from its specific website (google)
and it is reliable by that way and by decent internet pretty fast download

anyone who got interested from review i highly recommend to buy
($20 about 13 euros)
edit: text in () edited by point out of guy below as i did not pay attention on USD price

StrangerQ:
I bought game from its specific website (google)
and it is reliable by that way and by decent internet pretty fast download

anyone who got interested from review i highly recommend to buy
(review says $20 but payed about 13 euros = around $16)

Dude, check this.

Nimbus:

Dude, check this.

Thx for pointing this out.
edited and reason on previous post

Carnivorous Treasure Chest? Sounds like Rincewind's Luggage, that'd be awesome.

To sum this game up in a sentence:
Fate with Warcraft graphics and the Diablo 2 soundtrack.

Funky fun though, just not original at all. I crave actually fun originality in a hack n slash.

I think I might give this a try

I also laughed when I saw the treasure chest pet

I'm fairly certain the pet mechanic isn't anything new. In fact, it's pretty much copy pasted from a game called Fate... which is a Diablo clone... by roughly the same people.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here