Stolen Pixels #139: BorderLAN

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

This is one of the biggest fails in recent history for online gaming on the PC. Sounds like video game companies are starting to care less and less about us PC gamers...

Undead Dragon King:
Movement in Stolen Pixels?! Revolutionary!

It certainly is

God i love claptrap.

But i've yet to have any problems with multilayer, i play both Online and sometimes LAN and it runs perfectly.

"When someone activates a level transition, it pulls everyone else through with them. This opens up the opportunity for griefing."
Well if anyone is in a menu(map, shops, inventory etc) it won't change... So when me and my friends were playing we at times brought up a menu to grief eachother a bit...

strange how borderlands is the first co-op pc game ive owned that i DONT have a problem connecting to my friend or tother way round

swaki:
oh good it isnt just me, i went out of the way on my generosity trip and bought a version of the game to my pirate friend and my always-no-matter-what-broke friend so we could play together, and so far all we can do is sitting on skype talking about it.

fingers crossed that they make it work the tenth.

i had the same problem with my brother... tried out gameranger last night, and it worked flawlessly... i recommend it for fairly seamless private borderlands play...

yeah I played Borderlands on the console but still
clap trap and his dancing oh my god that got SO annoying =.= lolll

WhiteTigerShiro:

daftalchemist:
Yeah, multiplayer in this game reminds me why I hate ports to PC. They're never up to PC standards, and the devs don't seem to find a problem with it. However, I still don't want to play this kind of thing on a console, because splitscreen sucks much worse than port forwarding ever could.

The sad thing is that Gearbox insists that they built the PC version from the ground up. Yet there are so many console-based inspirations in the entire design that it's hard to not call it a port.

The menus in particular seem to be ripped straight from a console control scheme, so much so I've started using the keyboard alone when in menus.

Gaaaaaaaah I once lost all my ammo trying to kill Claptrap! I hate him!!

But yeah, I've only played Splitscreen with a mate so far. Apart from the badly thought out but well intentioned full screen menus on a split screen game, it worked flawlessly. I really, really think that this is a console game...

Virgil:
Playing any games, especially multiplayer ones, on a PC is far far more difficult than it is on a console these days, but one thing remains the same: You can always rely on Gamespy to make it worse.

The reason it is more difficult on PC's is pretty simple actually.

On a Game console you don't have the freedom to make up bullshit setup options, so game companies don't. If you try to you just instantly break your multiplayer and it is done.

On the PC you have the full range of power to make the most retarded and broken system for multiplayer you want. Best part is you can act like it works and give the customer terrible answers for their support tickets.

Oh yeah...and gamespy has always been the worst option (as far as I can remember).

I have never used gamespy, but don't they have some form of input in the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection and the PSN?

Dance Clap trap Dance!

saejox:
Dont ever try to play Borderlands with strangers. Believe me it's way worse than playing alone.
Gamespy is tolerable only with friends.

Dedicated servers...i miss you

Just use one of the varies "LAN" programs to plan online with your friends, much better then the default "online".

Well I guess I'm getting the Xbox version. Thanks for the help. Why do some things have to be more complicated than they need to be?

1st modern warfare 2 now borderlands there's a conspiracy going with this lack of dedicated server bullcrap

Nice animation Shamus :)

I play the game on lan only I didn't even try to use the internet. That's the simplest way to tell that the other incompetent person in the game is my brother. :)

OneHP:

WhiteTigerShiro:

daftalchemist:
Yeah, multiplayer in this game reminds me why I hate ports to PC. They're never up to PC standards, and the devs don't seem to find a problem with it. However, I still don't want to play this kind of thing on a console, because splitscreen sucks much worse than port forwarding ever could.

The sad thing is that Gearbox insists that they built the PC version from the ground up. Yet there are so many console-based inspirations in the entire design that it's hard to not call it a port.

The menus in particular seem to be ripped straight from a console control scheme, so much so I've started using the keyboard alone when in menus.

My point exactly. If the PC version was built from the ground up, the buy menus would work something closer to in Fallout 3 where E was to accept a purchase and A was to cancel it. The keys might be a little off cause it's been a while since I played, but I remember buy/selling was a fairly smooth process because it was actually built around the WASD set-up, unlike Borderlands which acts like you keep both hands at the home row the whole game.

Okay, there are two points I would like to adress to Shamus.

* When someone activates a level transition, it pulls everyone else through with them. This opens up the opportunity for griefing.

If you don't agree with the group pulling you out for travel, hit any menu button. Instant travel cancellation. Problem solved? Maybe not, if you're going to argue about whether or not you should travel to the next area, but that's just ridiculous.

* The voice chat? It's always on. Always. There is no way to mute it under any circumstances. I hope you don't ever want privacy.

And this is why we have the opportunity to tweak PC games. Helpful guide here. Look around, and you can also find an easy guide to forwarding ports. Even I can do it.

Other than that, I have to agree on some points. You can't properly select multiplayer games at all, and you can't even see which hosts have their ports configured so it'll take a lot of tries to find a game that can connect.

Solution: Play with your friends. That's the one thing it doesn't screw up entirely. You can invite friends to your previously-single-player game at any time. And honestly, Borderlands is not a game you want to play with random strangers. You'll want someone with a playstyle that suits yours.

Although I can't say that making a Gamespy account gave me any trouble, though. Name, e-mail adress - I haven't gotten any e-mails from Gamespy, much less spam - and you're done. Don't see what's so hard about it.

In the end, I can honestly enjoy the game very much regardless of how it feels like a port in a lot of ways - ignoring multiplayer, the most glaringly obvious are the menus, but that doesn't really give you much trouble to play. I was also pleasently surprised at how good the vehicles work. Mouse driving is such a major improvement on WASD, in spite of all the bad things I heard about driving on the consoles. You never have to dick around with reverse steering, small corrections or hard turns. You go where you point. It's that easy.

Now it's time for everyone to attack me on my opinions about the game. I say, bring it on!

Heh. Congratulations, Shamus! You've done what even Yahtzee hasn't- you've convinced me not to buy a game. I was on the fence about Borderlands when I heard how multiplayer-centric it was (I get so little time to play as it is, why waste it with griefers and idiots?) but... come on. GAMESPY?! I haven't used that in more than a decade, and for good reason!

Undead Dragon King:
Movement in Stolen Pixels?! Revolutionary!

Moving pictures? On the Internet?! Bah. It's just a fad.

*Cough* +1 for consoles *Cough*

There is a reason I switched to consoles for games. PC gaming has no flow. Choosing servers and modding and hacking just to get it playable if it even meets your requirements. Too much hassle.

This doesn't really affect me that much, as I wasn't really planning on using multiplayer (share my gaming experience with, with... with other people?!! How dare you even suggest it!); most of my other friends either aren't interested in it, even if there are a lot of guns (wierdos).

Still, I can understand why people aren't happy with the implementation of multiplayer, and can sympathise. I don't suppose installing Gamespy is required duing install is it? I'm still not sure what to buy it on, but I'm actually leaning towards PS3 at this point considering all the criticisms aimed at the clunkiness of the PC version. But if I get the PC version, there's no way I'm allowing Gamespy to smugly take it's place among the rest of my programs, especially if I don't plan on using it.

Well, I have a simple response to this.

Not buying the game.

Heh!

My policy of waiting a month or two after release before buying a game rulez again. I have a PS3 and a PC. Was edging toward the PC version, now will wait, but this points me toward the PS3 version.

Bottom line though... it sounds like an XBox game. Maybe just wait and see what else comes along.

Has gamespy done anything good? Ever?

I mean, I have to pay them for user-made Morrowind Mods that should be free. Which I don't.

Well, I found the Multiplayer on Borderlands for PC to be fine, though yes the port forwarding is fine. Why would you open ports and then forward them? Can't you just forward ports? Multiplayer actually runs quite well considering it's host based, though the delay is always there.

Oh noes anyway, port forwarding! has everybody forgotten the many games before this that required that as well? Warcraft 3? Starcraft? Warhammer 40k? Red Faction?

You know, Gamespy was a pretty decent platform back in the day. I played Baldur's Gate 2 over it numerous times.

Played Borderlands (PC) online quite a bit without any hassles at all.

Didn't have to do any messing about with Firewalls or Routers, and I already had a GameSpy ID from years back.

So my checklist was:
Launch game.
Add friends.
Invite friends.
Play.

Easy.

Oh, god. Is this TRYING to replicate and even OUTDO the stuff you get on X360 these days?

Kalezian:
1.)Console has muteable mics [360 for sure, not too sure about ps3 [[input from a ps3 guy would be great]]][/sub]

Notice the article is about borderlands multiplayer on PC.

jjofearth:

Kalezian:
1.)Console has muteable mics [360 for sure, not too sure about ps3 [[input from a ps3 guy would be great]]][/sub]

notice my post is what console has in regards to the multiplayer on the PC.

Lets face it, the thing they did best in Borderlands is Claptrap.
Cute and annoying, its the new companioncube for sure.

Sadly, my girlfriend didnt want to dress up as claptrap to halloween...

...i went as an oilcan "wink" "wink"...

Virgil:
Playing any games, especially multiplayer ones, on a PC is far far more difficult than it is on a console these days, but one thing remains the same: You can always rely on Gamespy to make it worse.

Not surprising considering that with consoles the developer has to stick to a set of rules written in concrete or it just wont work. With PC you get so many different choices to screw up and it will somehow still connect, just so buggy it ain't worth trying. I've encountered a few games like that. But there are examples that actually do a decent job. Left 4 Dead and Battle.net as it used to be are a couple. It is a shame that of what I have heard of Borderlands so far that the pc multiplayer stinks, though it's usually inevitable. Too much focus on one aspect leads to crap on another. But that's ok, they'll just fix it in a patch. That's what patches are for, right? [/sarcasm] I tried the Shitspy multiplayer about when it first came out. Was clunky and connections were a test of extreme patience. Plus if memory serves it even tried downloading malware on my system. I'm guessing nothing's changed.

jjofearth:

Kalezian:

image I noticed, too.

Lord Krunk:
Has gamespy done anything good? Ever?

For the original Dawn of War, gamespy never did me wrong. But the complaints about it on the forums were incessant. One thing I noticed, people were quick to badmouth it, but rarely did they detail the exact problem it was bringing them. DoW had robust ladders so it must have been working at least a lot of the time, and generally, there were far more complaints about balance.

So, I remain suspicious of gamespy multiplayer connectivity, but it is not a deal breaker.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here