230: The Pains of Being The Guy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I played this every school day in my programming, career study and com tech classes in grade 10. it took me till April to beat it. I probly spent over 200 hours playing it. just might be the biggest achievement of my life.

As so many have said, the game isn't "Hard" it's just brutally unfair. However, it's unfair in so many hilarious ways... while a regular platformer might frustrate me, this doesn't because it EXPECTS me to die a million times, and so I too expect to die. The checkpoints are close enough together that it doesn't bother me, even if I'm a few screens back (and I'm not playing on the easiest setting).

What really made it for me, though, were the boss fights. Throwbacks to so many of the best in new, bizarre ways that made me excited and giddy with nostalgia.

I haven't played it in a while (in fact, like probably most people I made it to "The Guy" and haven't finished it) but I think I might go start a new game right now.

This games great, a really....unique experience. It's really the sense of humour, and that feeling you get when you reach those save points that keep me going.
Right now I'm trying to play through it, as well as Castlevania III. Even though I'm using save states, i'm pretty sure my heads going to explode.
I'm stuck on the Grim Reaper in castlevania and bowser's helicopter with 3 forms whose names escape me.

I really hate fake difficulty. IWBTG makes it a point that the entirety of it's difficulty IS fake difficulty. And thus, I couldn't ever stand seriously trying to beat it. Everything is trial and error. However, I don't think it's all that bad. Sure it's hard, but you KNOW it's hard; It's MEANT to be hard for all of the wrong reasons. That isn't so bad at all once you know it's intentional and that you CAN beat it. Again, trial and error.

The worst fake difficulty comes when you play a game, and it comes completely out of the blue and you can't rely on trial and error to overcome it. The worst of the worst is luck based in my opinion.

But hey, at least you don't pay money for IWBTG. And if you beat it, you can have something to brag about.

*eye twitches*

I tried, gaming gods. I tried and failed to make it through this game.

*huddles in a corner and cries*

Ah IWBTG the Bane of my existence I have a rule of never letting a game defeat me so far it has done so after various attempts and broken keyboards I still can't get past Dracula.

But one day, one day I shall defeat it.

I beat medium... it was worth it, but only because I played it for the lulz. It started for me with the game Syobon Action, I just seeing the sheer ridiculous difficulty and unpredictability of these games. It is both frustrating and fun, and somehow I can laugh every time I jump into a cloud or a dolphin (?) attacks me as I descend the flagpole and finish the level.
The interviews were interesting, thanks for including them.

i suppose ill give it a shot...even though i hate games that require nothing but hindsight and luck

Edit: got past the first screen...thats enough for me

I'm never going to play that game. I still get pissed at the harder Megaman games, so this would send me to jail after I throw a kid off a cliff or something.

infernovolver:
I really hate fake difficulty. IWBTG makes it a point that the entirety of it's difficulty IS fake difficulty.

While admittedly some of it is so called fake difficulty, the vast majority is skill based when you get past the shock of the various loops that get thrown at you.

IWBTG is one of my favorite ridiculously hard games, right up there with Kaizo Mario and the various Touhou games. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, maybe I'm hearkening back to the old days when arcade machines feasted upon the quarters of the weak, or maybe it's just that I like my victories to show that I put some real effort into my games. Whatever the reason, I can't get enough of 'em.

EDIT: I have beaten the guy, I'm #80 on the list of those who have done so. Hard and Medium (Medium was just for the parts for the gun that did nothing.).

I Wanna be the Guy is still one of my favorite flash games of all time even though I have not ever compleated the game. I love all the retro throwbacks to classic gaming and the challenge of trying to get to one more screen. It may be insanly difficult but enjoy it because it never gets to being unfair becuase it all about memorizing where each trap is.

However, I will admit that I have never gotten past the Super Ghost and Goblins room and I have yet to defeat the Koopa Clown Car so I still have a long way to go I want to complete it.

I watched a video of someone playing it on youtube. As funny as it was to see, I think I'll obstain from playing it because I like my blood pressure right where it is.

Listen pal, I just stayed up all night trying to find the trope for fantasy naming (11 hours). I went to bed at 12 in the afternoon. I got up 2 hours ago (8pm), checked the escapist, and spent 1 and a half hours on tv tropes again.

STOP IT.

But- I want to be the guy too!

I played this game on and off for over a year. I made it to the final boss, and haven't picked it up for several months. Recently, I lost my data anyway, so I guess I'll get to start over again. I'm willing to do it. I've restarted the game a grand total of three times already, so this will just be number four. Maybe I'll finally beat it this time.

geldonyetich:
As a long time gamer, I refuse to really get into IWBTG for the same reason. Memorization != skill at platforming. In a way, it's a really pretty version of Simon, where you discover the next move by dying and starting over from the beginning. That said, watching somebody else who has already learns the ins and outs of IWBTG going from beginning to the end of the game is thoroughly entertaining.

Cave Story, now that's IWBTG done right.

Are you talking about the secret ending levels in cave story?

SomeUnregPunk:

geldonyetich:
As a long time gamer, I refuse to really get into IWBTG for the same reason. Memorization != skill at platforming. In a way, it's a really pretty version of Simon, where you discover the next move by dying and starting over from the beginning. That said, watching somebody else who has already learns the ins and outs of IWBTG going from beginning to the end of the game is thoroughly entertaining.

Cave Story, now that's IWBTG done right.

Are you talking about the secret ending levels in cave story?

Sort of. I'm talking about the whole game, but the secret ending levels are where it gets fast and frantic without pulling any cheap tricks. IWtBtG is like 90% cheap tricks which can only be circumvented by memorization.

the reason they make the hardest game ever is to gain plublicty if 1 person cant beat others will want to and so on and so on

I've watched people play through this game (well, ok, try to play through this game) on countless videos and I've laughed myself silly with the inventiveness of it all.

O brave gamers who have entertained me - I salute you.

IWBTG isn't about winning. It's about losing. I don't mind that.

Is anyone having trouble with the double jumps on this game? I'm only on the second screen and most of the time I'm losing is because the double jump doesn't fire. I'm getting pissed not because the game is hard, but because it's apparently broken.

edit: I REPENT!! It was me, not the game. Stupid clouds clips much further from their edges than I expected. Every time I was trying to jump off, I was falling off first instead and that's why the double jump wasn't working right. No flames, please!

Voltano:
Wow...Reading this makes me realize how much of a sadist the developer of "I Wanna Be The Guy" is.

I suck at platformers (and don't care to much for them), though I only got as far as the Moon scene in medium difficulty in that game.

Though it makes me wonder if I'm a sadist like the developer because I enjoy watching people's pain on Youtube as well. xD

I take it then, you've seen the impossible mario level. It's so funny. The guy starts swearing black and blue from huge amounts of cheap deaths. There;s another video of a guy actually beating it.

geldonyetich:
Sort of. I'm talking about the whole game, but the secret ending levels are where it gets fast and frantic without pulling any cheap tricks. IWtBtG is like 90% cheap tricks which can only be circumvented by memorization.

Well, cheap tricks are cheap because they defy the player's logic. IWiBiG is still a legitimate game built around the most sadistic of game mechanics. Also, it is bolstered by a double jump function that simply hates me and will never work right.

300lb. Samoan:

geldonyetich:

Well, cheap tricks are cheap because they defy the player's logic. IWiBiG is still a legitimate game built around the most sadistic of game mechanics. Also, it is bolstered by a double jump function that simply hates me and will never work right.

You've an interesting concept of legitimacy.

archvile93:

I take it then, you've seen the impossible mario level. It's so funny. The guy starts swearing black and blue from huge amounts of cheap deaths. There;s another video of a guy actually beating it.

I seen a few Mario level hacks that are designed to infuriate the player to the point of rage-quitting. The two I can think of is are both hacks of the original "Super Mario Bros." on the Nintendo and "Super Mario World" for the Super Nintendo.

Both look nigh impossible for me and my platforming skills. xD

I got bored on the first screen.
Maybe it's just me, but I hate frustrating games.

Impossibly and unrealistically difficult?
Fine.
But when it crosses over into frustrating, I just lose all interest.

Still, from what I've seen and heard, it's definitely an accomplishment in sadism, and I can appreciate that.

geldonyetich:
You've an interesting concept of legitimacy.

It's a matter of who owns the game logic - the player or the designer. Since this guy is out to torture us, he takes full ownership and does whatever the hell he wants, player be damned.

well at least there isnt invisable coin blocks

*Please tell me theres no invisable coin blocks*

its to challange the gamer

oh, I Wanna Be The Guy...

I personally belong to the crowd that hates it for real. I tried it for 30 minutes and then never played it again. It was pretty fun to watch my friend play it though, I that's the way frustration works ^^

I had a go today, swore at the first screen and quit, damn invisible traps.

Kodlak:
I had a go today, swore at the first screen and quit, damn invisible traps.

Pffh... Invisible traps? Childs play. The moon is pissed at you? Easily dodged and gotten away from.

When a damn Bullet bill won't let you pass because he's watching you with a laser beam aimed at you? Or a giant Dr. Mario pill crushes you for being slow?

That's when my first laptop got frequent flyer miles.

Hmm... The game has gained a reputation for being unreasonably difficult, right? Well, if there's one thing I've learned in my personal study of game design, it's that "understanding justifies difficulty." That is, the more threats a player can see, comprehend, and reasonably deal with, the more threats you can cram into any one gameplay sequence.

Obviously, that's completely thrown to the wind in the case of IWBTG. But maybe "understanding justifies difficulty" can come to encompass an entire game. That is, IWBTG is almost universally recognized as one of the most difficult games of all time, and most new players at this point are going to be drawn in by that claim. Those that do play for its absurd difficulty understand its role in the entire game, and therefore find it somewhat justified.

Maybe not. I'm just trying to wrap my own head around the game's popularity.

After beating IWBTG, the most fondest memory I had was shouting into my monitor for ten minutes "I GOT KILLED BY RYU FROM STREET FIGHTER!!!"

Lol, at least he enjoys what he made and did.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here