Rebecca Mayes Muses: Wet

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Great song--this is my favorite Escapist series.
I only played the demo for Wet and I thought it was pretty okay. I didn't expect much story from it since it looked like mindless shooting and slicing.

I really do enjoy Rebecca's voice and this song pretty much sums up Wet for what it is, Style over Substance.

Hats are serious business people.

Loving the alt country feel of this one. Not that I know anything about the game, but the song rocked, country rocked.

I liked it. Quirky and a nice song with a partial review in it.

left me dazed and confused.

But from what I could follow, its pretty much how I felt about the game. Only Im a guy, therefore having my attention grabbed by the title probably a little more than a girl.

nice song and video, but i kind of wish she would stop with the calm music and change into something more like the time she reviewed overlord II.

kozmo:
nice song and video, but i kind of wish she would stop with the calm music and change into something more like the time she reviewed overlord II.

I don't mind this style at all. I actually prefer these alternative tunes to something as hard as metal.

It's just not my style. Then again, that's only my opinion.

That tree trunk wasn't supposed to break, was it?

MarsProbe:

Joa_Belgium:

By the way: what did you say during the credits when your mate was down? It sounded pretty hilarious!

I thought it sounded like "Raaage" but it wasn't that easy to make out. Either the croaky voice was put on intentionally, or Rebecca has a frog in her throat! :O

It sounded to me like "deeead" with a very scary voice! Nice song, not a hit, but I'll probably like it better if i listen to it more than once. ; ) keep it up.

But i have to say I was hoping for "Guitar Hero". Maybe it's hard to choose between all the entries in your competition.^-^

"If you want to be happy for a moment, get revenge. if you want to be happy for ever, forgive"

I liked the song a lot and as always you look adorable.

You got me wondering what would a game directed by QT be like.

Lovely song =)

[email protected] the end :P

Great song this time around.

Is it just me, or do you always sing about a game that either Yatzee or Shamus have already covered?

WaderiAAA:
Great song this time around.

Is it just me, or do you always sing about a game that either Yatzee or Shamus have already covered?

I think it's the other way around. The chances of her singing about a game that's already been discussed in another item are very big, because Yahtzee reviews a game every week. Rebecca has a biweekly item, so it's perfectly normal. It's not even pure coincidence.

Just check which games she's done over the past episodes: she recycled her MadWorld song, did Batman and yesterday Wet appeared. Which means she hasn't even gotten to sing about the most successful titles, such as Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2 or Assassin's Creed 2. Mark my words: she'll be reviewing one of those in the nearby future.

Recap: Rebecca is trying to keep up with what's already in stores. So she'll always be somewhere in tune with what other segments are covering.

Nice song, as always.

Now, If you and him are an item, I'd just like to say:

NICE PULL!

That is all.

Looking cute and squeezable as ever! The song was awesome too. I really genuinely like the mellowness of your stuff, you should really try and get a record deal.

Gyrefalcon:

cobaltfram:
Very well done. I agree that maybe the rhythms could have been shaken up a bit here and there, but I really liked how the lyrics all built to very sweet, sad question; you're growing out of being a simple reviewer and are instead using your songs to explore personal issues within games, which sounds very silly, but you pull it off.

My only advice would be to drop all the technical aspects of a game reviewing ("Damn wonky camera") which almost always feel tacked-on or unnecessary, and focus entirely on the deeper themes you explore so well ("I won't find it here.") or Madworld's questioning of violence in games.

Still, very nice song, and I think that every video you improve. And an album, or at least a place to purchase individual MP3s would be lovely :).

Ah, but I'd advise the opposite. It's exactly those kinds of touches that reinforce that it is a song about games for gamers. Wonky camera may be hard to work into a song, but it emphasizes the nature of the beast for me. Loved it and it seemed very spot-on!

Perhaps. I just wonder if maybe we can be about more than just a game review. I guess it's sort of approaching the whole "games as art" thing, but yeah, why not? Music art about game art, instead of just being a review of a video game in song form.

I approve...
...as always.

I have a theory that a cowboy hat adds a minimum +2 to attractive, sometimes as high as +4. Obviously a girl who is a 1 won't become a 5, but the hat'll usually make her a 3. People will then usually ask me "What happens if you put a cowboy hat on a girl who is already a 10?" thinking that question somehow breaks my theory. My response, since the scale only goes to 10 is "the cowboy hat makes her more ten." Not an actual answer to the question, but it's a correct answer.

What I'm trying to say is; darn right you should chase down that Indian and get your cowboy hat back, and then you should wear it!

Is it just me or is Rebecca way better looking than any depiction of Ruby? Exaggeration cannot compete with natural beauty.

Another great music video from you Rebecca. Keep it up!

Phenom828:

MarsProbe:

Joa_Belgium:

By the way: what did you say during the credits when your mate was down? It sounded pretty hilarious!

I thought it sounded like "Raaage" but it wasn't that easy to make out. Either the croaky voice was put on intentionally, or Rebecca has a frog in her throat! :O

It sounded to me like "deeead" with a very scary voice! Nice song, not a hit, but I'll probably like it better if i listen to it more than once. ; ) keep it up.

But i have to say I was hoping for "Guitar Hero". Maybe it's hard to choose between all the entries in your competition.^-^

I also heard "deeeaaad". Makes sense.

About the video, loved it. And it's amazing the way Rebeca always add something to an already reviewed game, given so little text she has to do it!

Slash Dementia:
Great song--this is my favorite Escapist series.

Same here, I really enjoy the music videos.

thecaptainof:
Moral of the story: don't steal her hat. She'll fuck you up.

It can be observed that whenever anyone has a decent hat, fucking you up will be the ensuing result of your taking it. Just ask Monkey D. Luffe.

Nice video, by the way. It's always nice to watch your stuff. It's relaxing.

All she has to do is pout like that and she doesn't need a gun. I'd rip my own heart out and offer it to her if she asked with that pout.

I liked this one more than the first. Both visually and audibly.

While everyone comments on her reviews, I like to comment on her musical ability.
A new trend I'm seeing is her chorus's are pretty damn good.
When it comes to this style, I'll repeat what I've said before. These would be a lot more enjoyable if the lyrics were more generalized and not talking about exact points on the game (Which is why I like the chorus's so much, because they are).

This, obviously, is just an opinion and it's her 'thing' to "review" while singing, but it just sounds awkward most of the time.

The song was okay b ut sims 3 and wolverine are still my faves

Oh hey, it's the same damn song AGAIN, and it doesn't have anything to do with the game AGAIN.
What is the point of these besides being some sort of weird vanity project?

And yes, I registered just to post that.

Its good to hear the sweet voice of Miss Rebecca Mayes again // Fun video and great song

Didnt I hear that all the Escapist music was goin to be put up on itunes?!

-M

I guess they have to leave these videos on the front page for a while, otherwise, no one would notice or comment.

Joa_Belgium:
You couldn't have been clearer. It's a pretty mediocre game, although I did like the song as usual. It had this nice traditional country touch to it. Loved the fact that the guy acting alongside you was using a banana as an improvised gun!

How many of these videos have you been first in, because it feels like these are the only thing I ever see you in. Plus with the whole name in the title, bit strange?

Personally I liked some of your other stuff better, which is strange because most of it sounds the same and you rarely use new/interesting words or go into any detail.

stinkychops:

Joa_Belgium:
You couldn't have been clearer. It's a pretty mediocre game, although I did like the song as usual. It had this nice traditional country touch to it. Loved the fact that the guy acting alongside you was using a banana as an improvised gun!

How many of these videos have you been first in, because it feels like these are the only thing I ever see you in. Plus with the whole name in the title, bit strange?

Personally I liked some of your other stuff better, which is strange because most of it sounds the same and you rarely use new/interesting words or go into any detail.

Well, it did take long before someone noticed and posted about it. So it's fair enough I replied to your question.

I've been following Rebecca's stuff since April of this year. When I heard she got her big chance at The Escapist, I tried to get a bit more active on the forum. But as it happens, I don't always have a lot of spare time. So I've been hanging back, trying to limit myself to watching the series here on The Escapist and commenting on Rebecca's videos.

As for my activity of being first on these videos: it's pretty clear that a new song review of her always appears every two weeks on Friday at 5:00 PM (GMT) sharpish. So I mostly try to be behind my laptop at that hour to cover her stuff at our own website, called Gamevault. We even have a separate page where all her songs are kept together: http://www.gamevault.be/gamefiche/rebecca-mayes

Why? Simple: Original. Content. Deserves. Attention. It's creative, it's alternative, it's awesome. It deserves to be in the spotlight. When someone comes up with something like this, I feel it needs all the publicity it can get. I, myself, have been very fortunate to get into the professional gaming industry. I've been an editor since August 2005 and I realise that I wouldn't have gotten where I am now without a lot of support.

Half of the members here will probably disagree with me, but I feel that Rebecca breaks loose from the usual pop genre that's everywhere on television and the radio, these days. When something is as daring, as original as this, it deserves all the help and support I can offer. So yes, I am a big supporter of her work and I hope she'll go on with her music for years to come.

That being said: what's wrong with my username?

Joa_Belgium:
snippity

Cool, I can appreciate that. And I can sympathise with wanting to support what you like, its not my cup of tea but I wouldn't call it unoriginal.

With your username thing, I always felt that the Escapist was a place for free expression and that by having a sorta facebook openess your open to attack. I also never trust people who are forthcoming on the internet.

I meant no disrespect but thought it was worth pointing out.

stinkychops:

Joa_Belgium:
snippity

Cool, I can appreciate that. And I can sympathise with wanting to support what you like, its not my cup of tea but I wouldn't call it unoriginal.

With your username thing, I always felt that the Escapist was a place for free expression and that by having a sorta facebook openess your open to attack. I also never trust people who are forthcoming on the internet.

I meant no disrespect but thought it was worth pointing out.

I wanted to simply choose "Joa" as my username when I registered all those months ago, because Joa is simply an abbreviation of my full first name: Joachim. But apparently: someone already had that specific username, so I just added my country. I already had that specific username as well on Twitter, it would only complicate it all if I started adding my birth year or something similar.

Be assured, I didn't take it offensively. Sooner or later someone was bound to ask me about it all.

Not managing to generate any rhyme or rhythm? No denying the musical talent, but the syllabic rhythm is all over the place, and where you try to make a rhyme, it doesn't really work...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here