Escape to the Movies: Oscar Nominations

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Oscars are an abomination to the film industry! They mean absolutely nothing and only boost the egos of those that vote for them. I would be more than happy to accept a razzy over an Oscar anyday, seeing as how the Razzies don't take themselves that seriously. They're supposed to be a gag award, a joke kind of like the Oscars.

Hubilub:
I really hope Jeff Bridges wins.

Why do I wish that? Look at my freaking avatar!

Me too

also i notice your avatar a long time ago, fantastic choice

Hurt Locker should win the big one

Please Bob, do not let your guard down.

Though optimism is generally a good thing it is also quite treacherous.
I do not believe that Tron 2.0 is nearly as good as the original (as it stands the original is good but not glorified by the power of nostalgia)and the wider range of nominations is just a farce to satisfy the mainstream and safe the remaining bits of credibility the jury has left.

Because hell has to freeze over before one of "the additional five movies" win the oscar. As it is the case with Avatar.
So please Bob don't get fooled by these efforts and stay critical!

Come on District 9! Best effects...So those wicked awesome lightning guns that instantaneously apparently cause all the atoms in a body to be repulsed, exploding whoever it hits, were not the best effects? Though, I do guess the floating mountains were pretty cool...
The trade off of pop hits vs artsy films is one that's weird, but even among the unknown stuff there are giant diamonds that passed over for pieces of limestone covered with some glitter. Anyone else remember The Fall? Easily best original story.

SamElliot'sMustache:

Casual Shinji:
Well, Let The Right One In isn't anywhere to be seen either, but you don't hear me complaining, do you?

........uh, wait.

And you're a year too late on that, since that movie came out in 2008. :)

I know, but Spirited Away also came out in 2001, but received an Oscar for Best Animated Feature in 2003.

Then again, I don't know how the whole Oscar timeline works.

littlerudi08107:
The Oscars are an abomination to the film industry! They mean absolutely nothing and only boost the egos of those that vote for them. I would be more than happy to accept a razzy over an Oscar anyday, seeing as how the Razzies don't take themselves that seriously. They're supposed to be a gag award, a joke kind of like the Oscars.

By your logic, razzies doesn't mean anything either.

Or any award at all for that matter.

And razzies aren't gag awards, they are awards for bad movies and performances. It's not the same thing.

Really hope Avatar will win it! It certainly deserves it!

I just hope that The Hurt Locker and District 9 get some well deserved attention (as well as a few awards): both are shockingly realistic and suspenseful films, shot by innovative and talented directors, and introduced new ideologies and simulations to the elements of society we've taken for granted.

Aside from Avatar, UP and Inglorious Basterds; the rest of the nominees are typical Oscar-Bait. And don't even get me started on Precious (Brilliant acting, but BEST PICTURE? Are you f*cking kidding me?)

Also, am I the only one who's a little bit confused by the absence of Bronson and The Immaginarium of Doctor Parnasus? I would say that Gilliam's film at leeaast has a chance in the Technical department....but then again............Avatar

When will Terry Gilliam win an Academy Award? WHEN???

I was actually kind of surprised that MovieBob was not more upset about Watchment being left out. I never really expect it to get any of the top positions, but I thought it would at least get an acting award because it was a really good movie.

this is why I don't give a fuck about the Oscars. If something amazing like District 9 gets absolutely NOTHING, then fuck'em.

I'm actually optimistic that Sandra Bullock wont win. She's nominated for Worst Actress in the Razzies (bizzarley not for The Blind Side) and the Golden Globes are picked by a different group of people than the Oscars. I really think Carrie Mulligan deserves it as she's simply fantastic.

As for District 9, they might as well have just announced it as "Token Sci-Fi flick to appease the fan boys who wont shut up."

Casual Shinji:

SamElliot'sMustache:

Casual Shinji:
Well, Let The Right One In isn't anywhere to be seen either, but you don't hear me complaining, do you?

........uh, wait.

And you're a year too late on that, since that movie came out in 2008. :)

I know, but Spirited Away also came out in 2001, but received an Oscar for Best Animated Feature in 2003.

Then again, I don't know how the whole Oscar timeline works.

The Oscars generally awards movies that had an American release in the previous year, and since "Spirited Away" didn't get released in the U.S. until 2002, that put it into the awards for 2003. Kind of lame, I know, but that's how they operate.

HardRockSamurai:
When will Terry Gilliam win an Academy Award? WHEN???

Probably never, sadly enough.

Now now, in Robotech vs. Thundercats, Robotech wins each and every time if you have Roy Fokker in Skull One. (See Macross Zero if you object to this.)
and as for Tron 2? ::drool::
But seriously, Avatar was amazing in the visual department, but left much lacking elsewhere. Up I would love to see get an Oscar simply for the first 15 minutes of the film alone. Anything else can go its own way.

I think it's more like Christoph Waltz BETTER FUCKING WIN best supporting, or I'm gonna slap a ho. I think they'd give it to Meryl Streep before Bullock simply because she's Meryl Streep...and also very good. Jeff Bridges is one of my favorite actors and in some of my favorite movies like The Fisher King, so if he wins, I will have gained some respect for the Oscars again. But basically the year that Julia Roberts won for Erin Brockovich instead of Ellen Burstyn for Requiem for a Dream was the year the Oscars DIED.

Not sure these rewards have any merit. As mentioned 2001 was overlooked, so Moon being overlooked does not really bother me.

I'd like to mention a film, Where the Wild Things Are. This film nailed a childhood treasure so flawlessly I was stunned it existed. I swear people are going to discover this in time and ask over and over for decades "why did this not do well, why was it not recognized?"

Second nomination for that award would be Watchmen, second best only to Dark Knight to me in comic book based films. Yeah, it's flawed, but it aspired to be something great, much like the classic work it is based off of.

Good year for animation by the way, Up, Coraline and Fantastic Mister Fox were all great, and I got another Miyazaki work this year.

On, film of the year, I'd go with Hurt Locker...because, well, I thought it was far superior to Avatar in every way a film can be (I don't include effects, that's largely down to budget).

Daft Punk is doing the soundtrack for Tron 2. That means it'll kick ass no matter what happens.

Jackie Earle Haley for best supporting... I guess not. But Hans Landa definitely deserves it as well. What a great performance!

let's just not be over excited of "tron two" man, sequals and remakes turned out to be bad countless of times. but still a new tron, lets just hope that the writers are creative now.

littlerudi08107:

And a speech like this is typically a guarantee that the person saying it has at some point in his life researched an Oscar acceptance speech in front of the mirror.

Look, the Oscars are a huge publicity stunt. Which is good. It's the show business, making a huge party to remind the world that there are movies out there that are good is good business. Showing the ceremony on TV with Superbowl-like ratings is even better business.

Aaand it's also kind of fun.

Oh, and Bob, Watchmen was a terrible movie. Seriously, it was. Being faithful and being good are two different things, and the pacing of the comic book is slow enough. Cutting out all the exposition bits and doing a panel by panel adaptation only makes it slow and boring and it takes a lot of the impact away from many scenes, mainly because on a comic book you can stay very long on a tiny panel, use long sentences in the middle of action sequences and a number of other things that don't translate well without a lot of shuffling around.

It is also very, very long and has fight choreography right out of The Matrix in a story that is supposed to be about how superheroes are really normal guys who dress up in funny costumes and beat up people. It should have been way more Taxi Driver than Crouching Tiger.

Yeah, all your predictions are probably going to happen. Even though Avatar and Hurtlocker were both awesome movies. They both get crushed by district 9. But let's keep dreaming it'll get an Oscar.

Oh, and I was just like you when I heard of a Tron 2. I was like "HOLY MOTHER OF BULL FUCKING BALLS! FINALLY! WOOOOO! TRON MOTHER FUCKING 2!".

Personally, I thought The Hurt Locker was one of the best movies of the year, but I understand why some people disagree.

Also, 28 Days justifies the entirety of Sandra Bullock's career, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't believe people think watchmen should have been nominated, they butchered Ozzymandais in every scene. Zach Snyder isn't a great director and often messed up action sequences by adding gratutious slow motion and going over the top, in just about every case a frame by frame replica of the comicbooks would have been jsut as good or considerably better. Oh and some poor choices of soundtrack, Hallelujah, really? Why not just use the song mentioned in the book? I still think the film was a good effort and I felt that they got Dr Manhattan pretty much perfect and think that Billy Crudup gave the star performance, not Jackie Earle Haley.

I always preffer the BAFTAs to the Oscars becuase they focus more on national, and independent film stars and directors with specific awards such as Rising Star Award, Best Film by a Debut Director, and Outstanding British Film. Also I'm really pleased with the BAFTA nominations for best Foreign film, White Ribbon, A Prophet, Let the Right One In, Broken Embraces, Coco Before Channel. All great films by outstanding directors, only two of which are nominated for the Oscar Foreign Language Film award, A Prophet and White Ribbon by the way. The Oscars have this ridiculous system where a country can nominate one film each and these are then broken down to form the nominies. Which meant that last year great films like Gomorrah or Let The Right One In weren't even nominated, and Waltz With Bashir my personal 2nd favourite film EVER didn't win.

Uh... No word on the fact that an animated film is in the list? Up should take Best Picture...

If Avatar wins Best Picture, I will lose all faith in the Academy. In fact, it's already wavering just because they nominated it. Sure it looks pretty, but it's got bland, two dimensional, stereotypical characters and the narrative equivalent of DOG PUKE!
On a brighter note, it's good to see an animated movie get nominated for Best Picture, instead of just shunted aside to Best Animated Picture.

I, too, am happy District 9 got a nod, and hey, Tron 2? I am SO THERE.

I honestly don't get what you like about District 9 so much. I saw it and I don't think it was the best picture of the year. It was good... just not that good.

This only made me realize how much I hade those awards..

I'm with Inglorious Basterds as well, might not be a favorite but was my favorite from the list of nominees. Also, Tarantino.

Reading all these responses I feel like I'm the only being on the internet who never watched Tron.
Also, I'm not shocked by the fact that Watchmen didn't get any nominations, but I am disgruntled, to say the least.

No one forgot Watchmen, Bob. It just isn't a movie good enough to be nominated for an Oscar.

It's funny the award I care most about is best foreign movie.

I wish District 9 would have a chance, but like you said it's pretty much down to Avatar and the Hurt Locker.

I thought Fantastic Mr. Fox was pretty good for an animated movie, but it doesn't compare to Up.

I thought that the story of Avatar was a bit too weak to win best picture. Do not get me wrong I liked the movie and the effects were damn good but I still think that bastards or D9 would be a better choice. I have not seen The Hurt Locker yet but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here