Question of the Day, March 2, 2010

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Question of the Day, March 2, 2010

According to a recent Nielsen survey, gamers are less likely to buy books and periodicals than non-gamers. Is that true for you?

Oh, I love books. If ever you are somewhere without electricity, a book is there to be read.
I love books... don't really care for magazines and newspapers though :|
*Goes back to reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman*

I always have at least one book to read, usually three or four. At the moment it's more like.. five. But I only own two of those.

I generally buy a couple of books a month.

Oh also, I'm subscribed to GameInformer, almost exclusively due to the awesome Halo: Reach cover. Fuck I love that.

I don't read books much, but I read magazines all the time.

Like The Escapist Magazine, Official Xbox Magazine US (completely unbiased, actually, and they even *gasp* PLAY OTHER CONSOLES), and Game Informer.

And TIME, but the liberal bias has killed it for me. Not that conservative bias is any better.

I buy 3-4 books a month usually. I have some books from last year I haven't even touched. Besides Steam sales, last year I bought...one or two games.

Must... read... to keep mind... occupied... BRAAAAINSSSSS

I do like a good read now and then. I mostly do it for information, though.

I have the internet, why would I want a magazine with out of date information that I have to pay for?

I read and buy loads of books, I recently bought a book by Jacqueline Simpson and Terry Pratchett about the various myths, legends and folklore that he used and borrowed from in writing his Discworld series. And last week I bought a book on the Python programming language (Python For Dummies) to help in my university elective in Computer Programming, because quite frankly the teaching resources at my university for that particular module are shit.

My point is, I read a lot, and I've been gaming since I was about six (that said, I've been reading since at least the age of two, my Nan taught me when I was little). So I'd say that the statistics are pretty crap. No offence.

I have 2 magazine subscriptions (1 games, 1 film) and also read the paper online in the mornings before I start work.

I buy a couple of gaming magazines monthly and a lot of fantasy novels.

I almost never buy books, I just go to my local Library to satisfy my reading needs.
Mostly due to the fact that I only read books once, then just set them down somewhere, never to be picked up again.

Getting a new bookshelf next week, it's 3m wide by two and a half metres tall and it's already half full. It hasn't even freaking arrived yet.

Too many books, one day I'll be killed by a toppling bookshelf.

Books yes, papers no. That's what the internet is for.

I read TIME, OXM, Popular Science, and probably something else though I can't recall...

And I'd read more if it wasn't for that pesky college getting in the way of my weekend downtime with essays and reading assignments, and yes I know that's reading too. But not he enjoyable kind!

I always have a book I'm reading, usually two. It's pure escapism, just like video-games, but moreso, since there's no immersion breaking mechanics to reading... well maybe turning the page.

I also read the new frequently, and journal articles, but it's part of being a politics student... =/

I buy books quite frequently but the only time I read a magazine was during my doctor's visits

I usually buy at least one book a month sometimes more.

Occasionally

I used to be an extremely avid reader, but I just don't have the time any more. I do still read a lot, but it's generally in an online format where things are easier to get into and out of.. and the price point is much lower. I do miss settling in with an actual novel from time to time, though, and so I still make time for that when I feel the urge.

I never read newspapers or magazines and I can get books at the library so almost never.

Do comics count, I usually just use the library for regular books, except on occasion.

My bookshelf is fairly respectable. Plenty of classic and contemporary titles.

But, really Ill buy something if I really want it, not just to fuill a whole.

Papers, I just read online...Eco-friendly and iPhone and all.

One of the bookstores in town just had a sale where they took several thousand books into a tent on the side of the building and every single book cost $1. I spent $230.

Lots of game book and, of course Escapist Newsletters!

I'm a book fanboy! So much better than gaming systems, with their power requirements and everything. Books created that kernel of nerdiness within me! My bookshelf at the moment is, however, mostly empty bar the occasional textbook (university fun!). At home though, I have a veritable library!

They're worse than crack. When I found my younger brother's mostly empty bookcase, I emptied it into a convenient cupboard, and moved it to my room to store the overflow. Now I need a third bookcase...

Helmet:
One of the bookstores in town just had a sale where they took several thousand books into a tent on the side of the building and every single book cost $1. I spent $230.

Massively jealous! Although I can see myself doing much the same thing in that situation... My local library did something like that, but most of the books there were of the outdated textbook variety...

All the time, I love reading! I don't buy newspapers as there is a good free one that I get on my way to school but I buy a new book every few weeks when I finish my last book. I am hardly seen without a book.

And I guess for magazines I read the escapist weekly (does that count?)

I can get all my news online from multiple sources, my favorite magazines are online(here's lookin at you kid), and a decent amount of manga are on sites free to read.(i've spent so much money on manga i deserve some free reads. The only books i buy are stephen king ones but that has pretty much been the Dark Tower series which i've been neglecting.... along with my ps3.

I read anything I can get my hands on. I have a subscription to Reader's Digest and buy books regularly. I also read newpapers if I happen to find one, same with most magazines. I try to buy a gamer magazine at least once a month, doesn't matter which one.

I've been called a print junky cause I always have to have something to read. I have two books on my computer desk and I read while playing World of Warcraft. Some of those Gryphon rides are long.

J03bot:

Helmet:

Massively jealous! Although I can see myself doing much the same thing in that situation... My local library did something like that, but most of the books there were of the outdated textbook variety...

I got everything that grabbed my attention. From sci-fi and fantasy to literature and textbooks.

My brother got a 1st edition 1860 Dickens novel. For $1. Lucky bastard.

J03bot:
I'm a book fanboy! So much better than gaming systems, with their power requirements and everything. Books created that kernel of nerdiness within me! My bookshelf at the moment is, however, mostly empty bar the occasional textbook (university fun!). At home though, I have a veritable library!

They're worse than crack. When I found my younger brother's mostly empty bookcase, I emptied it into a convenient cupboard, and moved it to my room to store the overflow. Now I need a third bookcase...

Happiness is in an overflowing bookcase. I have 4.

I have to say through I'm a binge reader. I don't really read fiction during the Semester but as soon as the holidays hit then I go crazy.

I eat books myself.

I probably have about a thousand books in my house, and I've read about half of them. I read the newspapers every day, usually The Guardian. Observer on Sunday. I check the BBC news thing on the web as well.

I think if I couldn't read, I'd go absolutely insane. At the moment I'm finishing up Charlie Brookers Screen Burn and trying to make my way through The Theban Plays by Sophocles.

I dont buy them, I go to the libary.

I read all of the time. 3 bookcases jam-filled with everything from The Illiad to I am Legend to Infinite Crisis.

I dislike watching news on the TV, but i'm usually informed with BBC news website. I occasionally grab gaming magazines if theyve got a special exclusive CD extra/interview/etc.

I'm currently reading my way through a Sci-Fi short story collection.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here