Question of the Day, March 2, 2010

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I hated books as a kid and started reading relatively late. Therefor I can't read nearly as fast or efficient as most people. This makes it 'harder' to enjoy.

i love books me.. i can reads real good

I read all the time, anything and everything. My whole family does. It's a real shame that the local libraries aren't great, bacause I'm running out of books to read <_<

I generally browse a couple of newspapers online every morning. Outside of that, I would like to read more, but college readings generally drain every week so that I just don't have the energy to read for fun. I get reading done over breaks.

When I was a kid, I read tons of books. Nowadays....not so much.

I have hundreds of books. Video games made me want to learn more about past conflicts and without them I never would have gotten into my field of study.

So fuck that survey.

I'm more on the lines of casual, as in if I'm in an area with a book store, I'll pop in and see if there's anything good. Latest purchase was World War Z. I'm telling ya, zombies make EVERYTHING better, they're like the butter of story telling. It's what Cinderella was missing, to hell with 3 wicked step-sisters lets go for 3 wicked step-zombies.

I read the newspaper every day (and the shitty free one I get on the train, but that one doesn't count) and frequently buy books.

I <3 reading.

Might be true, I am quite a picky reader, myself. I do get Game Informer in the mail each month, so I do read regularly. If it counts, I do read online periodicals.

ben---neb:

J03bot:
Snip

Happiness is in an overflowing bookcase. I have 4.

I have to say through I'm a binge reader. I don't really read fiction during the Semester but as soon as the holidays hit then I go crazy.

My usual holiday strategy exactly. I actually enjoy long flights purely because of the bonus reading time, with no guilty feelings I should be doing anything else

two topics, SCI -FI and FANTASY.....the majority of Gamers HEAVEN! of course we'll bloody read!!!

Can't wait to get my hands on "Through Stone and Sea" Noble Dead Saga all the way!

i read the paper online, several newspapers actually.

and my need for stories that was once satisfied by books is now taken care of by games.

so yeah, i only buy books for school.

edit: and magazines, well im here.

I read a hell of alot, although its mostly University stuff. Although I do try and get in some of my own reading.
I also read the newspaper everyday

I read 13 novels in one year when I was 11. My current record for books in a year is 14.

Poll needs a library option.

we have a library in my town, so there's no need to.

Yeah it's true.

I used to tear through thousand page books but nowadays I barely finish two or three a year.

Damn you, Microsoft!

Almost never. I'm lazy and cheap. i will find books free online or use the school library. reason being i don't have to go anywhere and at school I'm already there.

Considering borrowing books from the library is far, far cheaper, I usually don't buy books but read plenty of them.

I have to set a number of pages for me to read each night, otherwise I just don't. Damn you, videogames!

I have a book with me at all times, just in case I'm ever bored and need something to read. And I go through more novels per year than the average person will have read in their entire natural lifespan (not hyperbole, I've seen the statistics), so yeah, I'd say I'm an avid reader.

All the time. I just finished the Night Angel Trilogy, the last one being "Beyond the Shadows" and I would highly recommend them. Think Assassins Creed. :)

PurpleLeafRave:
All the time. I just finished the Night Angel Trilogy, the last one being "Beyond the Shadows" and I would highly recommend them. Think Assassins Creed. :)

Only 1 million times better XD
Love those books.
Started reading Sabriel again last night. Almost finished now XD
I try to read at least one book a week, and buy new ones at the end of every month.
Must have about £20 on my waterstones card right now :P

I almost never read books/magazines, I do read things quite alot though, usually IM rp over yahell.

I rarely buy books but get them from the library, every now and then I get a PC gamer or Nintendo power of the stands, and I subscribe (kinda) to game informer.

I haven't actually bought any books in a long time, though I'm an avid reader.

Do 'hundred dollar textbooks count?

About once a month I go on a shopping spree and buy lots of books. And I read the newspaper every morning.

Greyfox105:
Oh, I love books. If ever you are somewhere without electricity, a book is there to be read.
I love books... don't really care for magazines and newspapers though :|
*Goes back to reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman*

QUESTION!

Is the pocket version of the entire serie worth getting? They're a bit expensive to order, and I've been meaning to buy it for a while now.

The Escapist sucked up all the time I could have for books.

SamuelT:
-snip-

QUESTION!

Is the pocket version of the entire serie worth getting? They're a bit expensive to order, and I've been meaning to buy it for a while now.

Sorry, I can't really help you there, I only purchased the first book :P
But, if the second and third books are anywhere near as good as the first one... then perhaps.
I'd hate to recommend something that could cost you money that you may not like :|
If you could get the first book cheap, then I would recommend that, just so you could sample it to see if you like it. But I do find this to be one of those books that you can just keep reading, and worth the money I payed.

I used to be a never. But now I read books that normally would help to improve my personal life or career life. I also have a subscription to the American historical association and get their magazine to read about today's historians and the job market.

Greyfox105:
-Double snip-
Sorry, I can't really help you there, I only purchased the first book :P
But, if the second and third books are anywhere near as good as the first one... then perhaps.
I'd hate to recommend something that could cost you money that you may not like :|
If you could get the first book cheap, then I would recommend that, just so you could sample it to see if you like it. But I do find this to be one of those books that you can just keep reading, and worth the money I payed.

I'll check out the library, though I doubt they have the non-translated version of it.

Thanks anyway!

Looks like the polling coming down in favor of the readers, but I think the Escapist crew is poor sample to test this idea. Everyone here plays games and can at least type. Imagine if you asked the same question of the average user of XBox live (shudder).

i love books. especially books based on video games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here