Question of the Day, March 28, 2010

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Question of the Day, March 28, 2010

Advocates of game piracy frequently say that they only do it to sample PC games before buying them. Assuming a good method for renting PC games became available, do you think it would decrease piracy at all?

Yes, I think it would. I'd certainly partake in it, one of the big problems with PC games is that not only can you not rent them, you can't return them in a lot of places either, so if you buy a bad game, you're stuck.

I'll admit it, I did that quite a few times back in the day. However, I'm proud that I always bought the games at a later date, the good ones anyway.

So yes, I'm all for it. It wouldn't wipe out piracy, but it would definitely reduce it significantly.

A pirate is a pirate...

Rent for money? Own for free?

This isn't gonna stop them.

It'll slightly reduce piracy, but not to any great degree.

Maybe a bit, at the end of the day, people are still going to pirate games, why rent it temporarliy for money, when you can keep it forever, for free?

I have mixed thoughts on this, yes it could as renting games is cheaper than buying them and often times I can beat a game in the rental time but then again most pirates pirate games because they want them for free and renting still costs money...

I don't think I'll actually use the poll this time as I have such mixed thoughts about it.

No, I think that it will cost people, and still be too much hassle.

Onyx Oblivion:

It'll slightly reduce piracy, but not to any great degree.

Indeed, I find myself inclined to agree with this man. It might (very) slightly reduce the numbers, but I find it hard to believe it'd lead to more sales.

So all in all, no.

Which is not to say I wouldn't use the service for games I know have shorter campaigns, like most FPSs. But then again I don't pirate games, so I guess it wouldn't make any difference.

Some people download the game with the genuine intention of buying it if they like the game, so this would be a great idea. However people download the game with the intention of playing it and not buying it, so its obviously not going to convince them to rent the game.

If nothing else it would cut down on their excuses.

Maybe the pirates will rent the games and then crack them and give them away for free.

Hell, I have friends that rent from netflix and then rip the dvd and send it back. They rented it, and now have a copy forever, too.

robinhood36:
Maybe the pirates will rent the games and then crack them and give them away for free.

Hell, I have friends that rent from netflix and then rip the dvd and send it back. They rented it, and now have a copy forever, too.

This. Why bother renting the game if you have access to an online sharing tool to get the file for free and for eternity anyway? :s

The only solution to piracy I see is OnLive, where you the user don't own a physical copy of the game, or even any way to download a digital equivalent ... doesn't make sense from a buyer and consumer perspective to not own the item, but in the long run, when there's no way to access the money in the vault, and only get access to it via proxy, you are not going to be stuffing your pockets with what you don't own.

Furburt:
Yes, I think it would. I'd certainly partake in it, one of the big problems with PC games is that not only can you not rent them, you can't return them in a lot of places either, so if you buy a bad game, you're stuck.

I'll admit it, I did that quite a few times back in the day. However, I'm proud that I always bought the games at a later date, the good ones anyway.

So yes, I'm all for it. It wouldn't wipe out piracy, but it would definitely reduce it significantly.

Pretty much this. Though a lot of people who say they only pirate to try aren't telling the truth.

Who are people that say that trying to kid? Call me a big ol' cynical cynic, but if they pirate the game to 'try it out' do you honestly believe they'll go out and buy a copy, when they've already got access to a game that they enjoy?

Yeah. Me neither.

I think it would reduce the piracy of people who do "extended trials" but I honestly don't feel that is real piracy.
But I don't think rentals would stop piracy, I know some blockbusters who charge $8 for a rental toss in tax and you're reaching towards $9-10 which is a fair chunk of change for 5 days.

I've always said that PC Gaming's biggest downfall is the lack of a rental system. There's tons of games I'd like to try out but I don't feel like A: Throwing down $40+ to get it, or B: Searching online and getting a pirated copy that could have any sort of virus or some other game crippling feature like no online multiplayer. A Gamefly for PC games would be great in my opinion and would definitely encourage me to spend more money on PC games (assuming that all the games that were out weren't crap of course.)

Well, the reason people download it is so they don't spend any money if it's a bad game, to rent it you'd need to spend money. It doesn't seem to work.

IckleMissMayhem:
Who are people that say that trying to kid? Call me a big ol' cynical cynic, but if they pirate the game to 'try it out' do you honestly believe they'll go out and buy a copy, when they've already got access to a game that they enjoy?

Yeah. Me neither.

You big ol' cynical cynic!

I did that, for ages. I pirated 127 games, and out of those, only 9 did I not buy, and that was because they were shit. I'd just feel terrible otherwise. Just moral compunction I suppose.

<It would help a bit but it wouldn't stop it.
But trying to stop piracy is like fighting with windmills. Piracy will always exist and with most games being shit it's not a surprise. I don't mind buying a good game (like Half Life, Dragon Age, etc.) and I know a lot of people bought games like that even tho they are pirates.

If anything it would increase piracy.

One of the things that makes piracy less attractive is file size. Believe it or not there are still people out there with pretty crappy internet connections. These people are going to be less likely to pirate games when it takes days/weeks to download, not to mention if they have a download limit there's even more concern.

If they had access to the game for a low price, they could copy the lot then just download whatever cracks/patches they need.

No, because people would rent it, crack it, and return it. And there's their game, for only R20 and they didn't have to spend ages downloading it.
Pirates would love it.

So many of my games I wish I had only played through once and tossed. That's the geat problem with PC gaming, once you buy it it's yours for keeps even if you end up not liking it at all and in some cases never finishing it. I'm not sure if PC game rentals would help curb piracy to any significant extent. It probably would for a few who, like me, don't like the idea of paying full price for something they don't neccesarily want to own, (I don't pirate by the way - okay I pirated FEAR 2 but that's it - but that would be my reason for doing so and I imagine it's the reason for a few regular pirates as well.) I do know that it'd be a service I would willingly pay for.

But yeah, the general sentiment is right. PC game renting would be a godsend for the real dickhole pirates who would wreck it for everyone else.

IckleMissMayhem:

You (usually) can't play the multiplayer section at all on pirated games, and seeing as that's the type of gaming I play most I usually buy the things I pirate.

OT: I'm not sure if renting would cut down on piracy, but I'd love to have the option to do it. Using a method like when Steam gives games to everyone for free for a weekend, or the guest passes.

I prefer to own a game, instead of just having it for a short time only. Even though I have games I have only played a few times I feel better that way, than having to deliver them back at some point.

One word: Steam....

One Explanation: I say steam, because when i recently bought a copy of Metro 2033 for the PC. I had to register it was steam, then do a totally random 1.8 GIG download. Then it decided to piss in my face and not play at all.....

And i can't return it.....

now what?

Seriously, Steam has ruined Metro 2033 for the PC

A lot? No, I don't think so. At all? Yes, I think it would. I'd certainly like to so I don't risk finding out that a game I wanted can't run for shit on my computer. Those minimum/recommended requirements can be absolute bull sometimes.

At the very least it will improve buying PC games.

Because buying PC games fucking stink right now!

If by "rent" you mean "keep" and by "good method" you mean "for free", then I see no reason why it would not replace piracy.

Otherwise it's pointless.

Sadly I don't think it'd work. If one can get something for free, the need to buy it is gone.

yes, but only very slightly

This is where being both a pc and console gamer has it's perks, I'm able to rent for a console, and if I feel it would be a great pc game, I'll go out and purchase it for that instead.

Pirates irk me greatly.. We'd never have to deal with shoddy anti-piracy programs if it wasn't for them...

no i don't think so, there would still be people who would pirate the games just so they can have them on the cheap. i personally like to have games, dvds cds all in my collection so i can look at them. so i would always buy the real thing.

I actually think if anything it will increase the ability for people to pirate it.

They will havea copy, burn it. do what they need to and then distribute it. It justr gives them another avenue to access

At least a tiny bit. Yes.

There are a couple type of pirates, the ones who pirate to try it out, then there are the ones who just don't wanna buy it, and the ones who can't afford it. Only one of those are really the potential customers.

All you'll be doing is grabbing a majority of the people who pirate to try it out into your marketing field, from which if the Devs want to make more money that's what they'd have to do. Will it curve the people who would never buy it because their cheap, or too broke? God no. Will it bring in some money from the people who pirate it to try it out? Yes.

Pirates are parasites. They want the game, they don't want to pay for it. Rental doesn't change either of these so it won't affect piracy.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here