Question of the Day, April 11, 2010

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Question of the Day, April 11, 2010

Once the Move and Natal launch, all three major consoles will offer motion controls. Do you think this means an eventual end to hands-on controls?

God I hope it's a fad.

It probably isn't, but I hope it is.

I doubt it will end hand-held controls, not for a while at least. They are too clumsy and un-intuitive. Not to mention that a lot of people play games to relax rather than jumping round their room flailing their arms.

I can't see it taking over for the same reason I can't see Digital Distribution taking over: people simply like the other option too much.

I hope not.

I enjoy just sitting down and playing the game.

I do not want to have to swing around my limbs and interact with the bloody game A.I.

Games with controllers can be very immersive, we do not need and I do not want motion control.

I hope to god it's a fad. I hate having to move during gaming. I enjoy sitting there and operating my hands nothing more.

Motion control - Save that shit for the old people.

Horrible poll options. Where's the "There's room for both" option? I don't think motion control is a "fad" as it's going to stick around, but it's not going to eliminate traditional gamepad/mouse & keyboard controls. This is one of those polls that asks "Which is your favorite, cocaine or PCP?" without giving you the option to say "I don't do drugs."

I think controllers will always have a place in gaming, but I don't think it's a... Fad... That seems a bit silly, to me. I think it can be very very effective control means, Metroid 3, for example, was excelent because of the style of controls. So, I don't think it's a fad, because to a degree I quite like motion controls, it's just the *cough* -retarded- *cough* games that come out for the main motion control console right now. Carnival games XXVII is the same as Carnival games XXIV.

Controllers will always have a place, they are my preferred method of gaming next to ye olde mouse and keyboard. But I don't think motion controls are simply a "fad".

Demented Teddy:
Games with controllers can be very immersive, we do not need and I do not want motion control.

Games with controllers are often more immerse to me, since with motion controls, you feel that you're the one flailing your arms around, but with a controller you barely move, while the character moves like hell.

That makes it more immerse to me, at least.

I seriously hope not. I don't mind the Wii that much, I have a PC, so it's nice to have a bit of casual gaming fun every once in a while. But if all gaming were to be like that, I don't think I'd be able to game anymore. This move by the industry towards all that is worrying me. Gaming was always more about mental exercise than physical, and you can't have both. If you make it all physical, games will have to become a lot simpler. Which is quite a bad thing.

So, I'm not sure, but I hope not.

I usually play games to relax and kick back in the night, chatter with my frieds on a Party Chat.

I mean, sure, it's fun like the Wii to jump and play around for a week or two, but the novelty wears off and unless they feature a full-blown VR environment, count me out. It's a fad and just ot please the casual audience.

Youtube - AVGN power glove..... And tell me have we evloved since, Lawl...

I think there's room for both, it doesn't have to be an either/or situation, although motion controllers and to an extent the types of gestural interface controls as seen in films like Minority Report -seem- like the future, I've never found them all that intuitive and they often misread the motion you're trying to make (For me at least). Even if current controls are rather esoteric seeming to the un-initiated, at least when you press a button it will have an effect, and generally be the one you want instead of 'oops, that's not the correct movement!'. Still, that could just be an issue with the current motion technology, I'm sure they're already on top of improving it.

No.

In the words of Charlie Brooker "It's probably bullshit anyway."

as with a million other posters, I sure hope not.

It really depends on how good the tech gets, but in todays world the precision and speed of the motion-detectors cannot compete with the wired controller and mouse/keyboard interface.
That and the feel of a controller, the feedback from buttons and triggers is also a speed-enhanceing mechanism.
Flailing your arms around gives you little feedback, because it is hard to judge precisely where the triggerpoint is on a purely visual interface.. therefor its hard to judge how to improve your gamingskills, where to speed up motions, where to save a second.

How would you perform moves in Street Fighter without a controller? Have you tried doing Ken and Ryu's spinning kick thing?
So no, it wont take over.

Controls need to change in order to advance videogames, but not in the form of motion controls.

Your fingers will always be more agile and precise than just waving you arms around.

Even if motion sensor controls become standard over the crude and barbaric controllers we use now, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Eventually will be. Eventually physical controllers will become obsolete. But, IMO, not anytime soon. I give it a good 20 years at least before the good'ol mouse and keyboard or controller setups go the way of the dodo.

Where's the option for "there's room enough for both"? It's never been an either-or scenario, despite what the hardcore kiddies think.

Yet another vote for ``I think that they can both coexist''. Some games are inappropriate for motion-controls in the same way that some games would be impossible without them.

I think both will exist. There's nothing saying they can't.

I agree with oppp7. The poll's loaded - you can only choose "ONLY MOTION" or "ONLY NON-MOTION", what's wrong with suggesting "maybe some of both"?

SavingPrincess:
Horrible poll options. Where's the "There's room for both" option? I don't think motion control is a "fad" as it's going to stick around, but it's not going to eliminate traditional gamepad/mouse & keyboard controls. This is one of those polls that asks "Which is your favorite, cocaine or PCP?" without giving you the option to say "I don't do drugs."

Agreed. They can coexist nicely - sometimes you want to flail your arms around, and other times you just want to sit down and relax. I voted "i'm not sure", just because two other options are DEFINETLY NOT what i think.

It's definitely a fad or at least I surely hope it is. I like the controller/mouse and keyboard. They're more precise than the Wii. Even if they could make motion controls completely precise, when I play video games I want to relax. Not get up and look like an idiot. That's why being lazy and video games go hand in hand. I want to sit down and relax and play some Gears of War without jumping all around.

The only motion controls I want is virtual reality. Where you actually run around inside the game. Nothing less will do.

No, motion controls do not mean the end of hand-held controls. They'll both be there, but hand-held controls, I believe, will continue to be the most widely used for many more years to come. Sure, they aren't the most interesting things in the world, but they work.

I dont know, But I think sony and microsoft may be digging a hole they cant get out of, because after all their build up about being a hard core supporter, and they bring some cheap motion control rip off, it is a little sad.

God I hope not. I loath motion controls.

I want it to be a fad. As many people have said "No one comes home to unwind by wailing their arms like air traffic controllers."

TheNamlessGuy:

Demented Teddy:

Games with controllers are often more immerse to me, since with motion controls, you feel that you're the one flailing your arms around, but with a controller you barely move, while the character moves like hell.

That makes it more immerse to me, at least.

Unless you use Virtual reality googles.

F-A-D.

Do people honestly think this is how games will be played in the future?

Unfortunately, I think motion control's the way of the future.

Which sucks. I love the extra weight of a wired controller, I love the sound of a cartridge clicking into place, I love pixel art. Sadly, those all went the way of the dinosaurs, and I think that controllers are next up. The golden age is long gone, and we're currently living in the brown age (I call it this because all games look brown for fear of being called "gay" by hardcores).

To reiterate the point made by several previous posters, I go for the excluded 'a bit of both option'. (I voted, 'I'm not sure' to try reflect this)

Motion controls are not a fad, they are great for somethings and enable you to do things which you simply can't do with a traditional physical controller set up. But in precisely the same way, I can't imagine there ever being a point when a motion or even touch system could replace a keyboard.

Vitor Goncalves:
Unless you use Virtual reality googles.

Touché.

Can't wait for something like that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.