Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 13

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 13

Items needed to bust ghosts in the shire: bear pelts, meat, and incendiary devices.

Read Full Article

You really gotta hate quest givers

Good show Shamus

As a Hobbit, Elf, Dwarf and Human; I have performed many tasks for the Hobbits. Delivering Pies, Finding Seeds in the Jaws of Killer Insects, Delivering Love Letters, Fighting Crows, Healing Dogs, Buying them Breakfast... (Capitals are for emphasis)

I cannot wait for the Scouring of the Shires. I will gladly fund Sauron in this respect.

Fireworks safety.

That's not it!

Toasty Virus:
You really gotta hate quest givers

Good show Shamus

Yeah...they give you all the work to do and always give so little back for all the effort ><

Wow still in the Shire?

If I had all the time in the world, I might play an MMO, but probably not anyway.

Wow. Looks like hobbits haven't reached the point of requiring empirical evidence. Somewhere in the Shire there's a hobbit staring at a freshly-made jar of sulphuric acid and thinking it's elixir of life.

Heh, good read. I'm pretty sure I detected a slight hint of sarcasm here and there.

Beautifully done. !

Wake up all them lazy hobbitss

And Lulzy does it again.

Good job, as usual!

My quote of the day : the entire paragraph ending with "And I wish it was possible to be more sarcastic than I am now." Gold.

I particularly enjoyed, "He's [sic] tells me that he's at his wit's end, but I'm willing to bet his wits ran out long before I showed up." I've gotta use that, some day...

Okay, I gotta admit, I was getting a little dumbfounded by the ridiculous quests... but that squirrel? Priceless XD That joke alone saves these game-designers from a sound beating and a firecracker enema.

I don't have my copy of the Return of the King with me right now, so I can't check the appendices for exact dates, but according to The Hobbit the Old Took died at the age of 130 when Bilbo was still young. When the four hobbits left the Shire, Frodo had just turned 50, so Bilbo should be 118 or something close to that, so the Old Took dying a century ago should be more or less accurate, assuming that the MMO is set during the journeys of the fellowship.

While I'm posting anyways, I should tell you that I've enjoyed your stories of them (both this and the Star On Chest series) much more than I enjoy actually playing MMO's. Not that I'm a particularly big fan of MMO's, but still...

A blast to read as always. Thanks Shamus!

And here I thought hobbits were quaint simple folks, but in actuality they are all really a bunch of crazy eccentric loons.

Yeah, hobbits are rather British in that regard...

ROFL, this story writes itself! It's hard to believe that the quests can be this ridiculous, but they are. Even for an MMOG.

I loved the part about the boar ribs: there was an identical quest in WoW when you are starting out as a dwarf. They have plenty of spices, but you'll have to kill the boars yourself. You know, the ones you just brought to the brink of extinction because somebody didn't like having them near his tent. To add insult to injury, the next area has a quest to make sausage, which requires you getting basically all of the ingredients: spider gall, boar meat, and something else equally appalling. And of course, only 1/10th of all boars actually have meat (apparently they are all starving, hence the reason we are killing them off).

For a hero, you spend an awful lot of time committing genocide on the whim of a total stranger. I wonder if Superman ever had that problem.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. Keep it up, Shamus!

I love you Shamus.

I've read thirteen of these now and feel it's about time I chipped in. On the basis of these articles alone I signed up to play LOTRO and I'm happy to say it's the best MMO I've ever played. These updates have been fantastic and in my opinion are the best thing to come out every week (which is not easy since they come out on the same day as my beloved ZP). All I can say is I fear that Shamus may stop this series before the wonderful story comes anywhere near conclusion, which would be a horrible shame. I'm in Moria at the moment and there's humour to be found the whole way.

Seriously, keep it up and I promise you'll always have at least one reader a week.

Did the Fool Took throw itself in and rid us of its stupidity?

A squirrel!

The Great JT:
Did the Fool Took throw itself in and rid us of its stupidity?

I love you.

DungeonHamster:
I don't have my copy of the Return of the King with me right now, so I can't check the appendices for exact dates, but according to The Hobbit the Old Took died at the age of 130 when Bilbo was still young. When the four hobbits left the Shire, Frodo had just turned 50, so Bilbo should be 118 or something close to that, so the Old Took dying a century ago should be more or less accurate, assuming that the MMO is set during the journeys of the fellowship.

The game is set during the journeys of the fellowship. But each 'land' is a different time in the story. When you are in Rivendell, the fellowship is there. In the Shire, the hobbits have just left. In Moria, the felloship is already through. In Lothlorien, the fellowship is there, in Mirkwood, the fellowship has left Lothlorien.

This news is so shocking, so astounding, that I very nearly consider blinking. Once. Slowly.

*a round of frantic applause from the audience*

As always, a pleasure to read. Keep up the good work Shamus.

Hilarious as always, keep them coming!

DungeonHamster:

Frodo turned 33 when Bilbo turned 111 (as their combined ages that year totaled 144, or "one gross"), so when Frodo left the Shire, Bilbo would have been 127. But yeah, 100 years sounds about right.

Oh, and can you imagine if Peter Jackson's movies actually made it seem like they really spanned the ~2 decades contained in the books?

Shamus Young:
If you answered 1, 2, or 3, then congratulations! Your brain has not been warped from playing too many MMO games. You're wrong, but healthy. I envy you.

Oh, how I envy you.

I laughed. I laughed SO hard. And then I cried a little inside.

I just discovered this series, and read all 13 installments over the last couple of days, while at work. I was laughing so freaking hard, that I nearly fell out of my chair. Coworkers from down the hall, were stopping by, and peering into my office to find out "what was wrong with" me.

Awesome job Shamus! I love this stuff, it's pure entertainment gold! Thank you, and for God's sake, keep it up!

Blackbird71:

DungeonHamster:

Frodo turned 33 when Bilbo turned 111 (as their combined ages that year totaled 144, or "one gross"), so when Frodo left the Shire, Bilbo would have been 127. But yeah, 100 years sounds about right.

Oh, and can you imagine if Peter Jackson's movies actually made it seem like they really spanned the ~2 decades contained in the books?

This would be correct.

"Twelve more years passed. Each year the Bagginses had given very lively combined birthday-parties at Bag End; but now it was understood that something quite exceptional was being planned for that autumn. Bilbo was going to be eleventy-one, 111, a rather curious number and a very respectable age for a hobbit (the Old Took himself had only reached 130); and Frodo was going to be thirty-three, 33) an important number: the date of his 'coming of age'."

E-books and ctrl+f for the win!

Edit:

Blammage:
I just discovered this series, and read all 13 installments over the last couple of days, while at work. I was laughing so freaking hard, that I nearly fell out of my chair. Coworkers from down the hall, were stopping by, and peering into my office to find out "what was wrong with" me.

Awesome job Shamus! I love this stuff, it's pure entertainment gold! Thank you, and for God's sake, keep it up!

Wrong series mate, likely you're thinking of the Wheel of Time series.

Oh I do hope we see more fun coming up in this series, also I would love to see Shamus Plays bumped up to twice a week. Please Shamus bump it up to twice a week.

And just think!

Someone got paid to write that quest line.

Hellgato:

The game is set during the journeys of the fellowship. But each 'land' is a different time in the story. When you are in Rivendell, the fellowship is there. In the Shire, the hobbits have just left. In Moria, the felloship is already through. In Lothlorien, the fellowship is there, in Mirkwood, the fellowship has left Lothlorien.

And then some of the book quests wreck this all to pieces by requiring you to travel back and forth between these lands umpteen million times. Quests that suggest you make multiple trips back and forth between Rivendell and Forochel are ridiculous.

Blackbird71:

DungeonHamster:

What? 2 decades??

::POUNCE!:: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.