Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 16

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 16

Lulzy finds herself in an unbearable situation.

Read Full Article

I'm surprised you have the bearfaced cheek to make all these puns. I'd paws for reflection next time, or at least try and cub your enthusiasm.

That waterfall is beautiful though.

Well, I guess bears are the only random forest animal mobs they can use aside from wolves. Maybe that's why they're popular?

Funny as always. I'm waiting for Lulzy to snap, kill everyone, and make pies from their remains.

Lulzy's adventures are nothing but epic :P I really got to re-start my Lotro account.
Prepare yourself for the epic Warg Hunts later. Where you have to kill 30 nearly Paw-less Wargs before you find the 5 Paws you need.

Heh, I was meaning to ask if every job (so far) really paid 90 coppers, but my question was answered before I could even make it.

I didn't think there could be a stupider thing to long after than a fishing rod (a stick), but I guess I was proven wrong once again. I can come up with more applications for a stick (hitting things, using as a fishing rod, burning [one time use], ...) than for a stone (throwing, ???) so I guess that's the new stupidest thing to pay 90 coppers to get back.

THE BEARS ARE PLOTTING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

I sounds impossible to make any cash in that game

johnman:

It's actually not too bad. Almost every mob drops junk items and sometimes trophies of some kind. It clogs up your inventory, but you'll have a few stacks of items to sell off to a vendor and make some more returns.

The developers have something against boars, not bears.

I also greatly hope that you covered the Shrew Stomping and Chicken Catching from the Spring Festival!

johnman:

Quests give you XP. Grinding gives you money. Money is really rarely useful apart from crafting, buying a mount, and housing.

The_root_of_all_evil:
I'm surprised you have the bearfaced cheek to make all these puns. I'd paws for reflection next time, or at least try and cub your enthusiasm.

That waterfall is beautiful though.

Just... damn you.

OT: Wow, who'd a thought bears would be so dangerously organized...

And if the town is full of loggers, people who most likely are very physically fit, they could have taken the bears.
After all, if some bard with a sweet hat can do it, surely a group of people who cut down trees every day can do it.
But that would be logical, and logic doesn't exist in some quests.

Game looks fun, may try it out one of these days. When I have some money...

Stephen Colbert:
"I believe all God's creatures have a soul - except bears, Bears are actually Satan's children."

That is why. Do not feel sorry for the bears. They want to eat you.

johnman:

As others have said, quests are really there for XP. Mob trash is great for money (and all humanoid mobs drop actual money too). You can also make money very easily (and fairly quickly) by using your crafting skills to harvest the various crafting nodes scattered around the world and then selling the materials in the Auction House (the in game player to player marketplace).

I've got a couple of characters sitting around level 20 who have about 1 Gold each, and I haven't really spent any time at all farming money or even selling crafting materials.

oppp7:
Well, I guess bears are the only random forest animal mobs they can use aside from wolves.

Actually, what the devs really hate is boars. They've pretty much become a running gag in the game. There's even a quest at one point where you're asked to go searching for boars and the punchline of the quest comes when you search around for 30 minutes and actually don't find any because for once there aren't any in that area of the world. (of course, this is a hobbit given quest so A.) is involves finding the boars so they can be eaten and B.) it's one of the funny ones :) )

Virgil:

Stephen Colbert:
"I believe all God's creatures have a soul - except bears, Bears are actually Satan's children."

Yes. They're godless killing machines, right up there with robots, and the nine forbid robot bears.

Shamus I'm waiting for the day some activism council drags you off for genocide of 12 different endangered species and 4 not endangered ones.

Virgil:

Stephen Colbert:

This quote on this thread is just...
it just...
it just wins so hard.

Shamus Young:
"Which means that this entire quest has basically the same plot as every episode of Scooby-Doo."

And he'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you darn Hobbits and your talking...

...wait.

Lulzy bailed, so... technically, he DID get away with it.

AWWWWWRIGHT! Finally, the bad guys win one! Sure, a small one... but baby steps, people! Baby steps!

I know I sound like a fanboy on here, but seriously hilarious! A great laugh at the end of the day.

...I thought of the Scooby-Doo plot immediately. I mean, even the real-state angle is there.

Does it change night to day by quest or by the time it is irl?

And can we see your UI :3

mptothedc:
Does it change night to day by quest or by the time it is irl?

If I recall correctly, about 5 real life hours equals 1 ingame day. There's only a handful of quests that must be done at night (less now than there used to be) but this is one of them.

Where's a paying "kill 20 bears" sidequest when you need one?

The Rogue Wolf:

Shamus Young:
"Which means that this entire quest has basically the same plot as every episode of Scooby-Doo."

And he'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you darn Hobbits and your talking...

...wait.

Lulzy bailed, so... technically, he DID get away with it.

AWWWWWRIGHT! Finally, the bad guys win one! Sure, a small one... but baby steps, people! Baby steps!

Evil always finds a way, even if that way is making the heroes laugh so hard they no longer wish to stop you. Then again, since he was planning to sell the land anyway, what was the point? Seems like throwing a molotov at an already burning building.

EDIT: on the bears, it seems Stephen has gained influence over middle earth, here's hoping for Gwaihir painted like the american flag.

Every time I read this...I want to start playing LOTRO...

Well, let's look into a free trial.

I can't wait until you reach the Old Forest and have to deal with 200.000ish spiders!

It would be cool if you joined a kinship, travelled to your kinship house and took a sip out of their Inn Leauge Sinister Keg. I won't tell you what will happend, but I'm sure you'll be surprised!

So, to add insult to injury, but I wonder (not having played LOTRO) if the deer there act like the deer in WOW, which is to say completely unlike real deer. You see, in real life deer are cautious, nervous, skittish, and will flee if they detect the slightest hint of anything that might be large and carnivorous. If they perceive an actual active threat, they will flee much, much faster. Because of this behavior, deer hunting necessitates stealth, patience, and the use of long range weaponry with an ability to kill or incapacitate with a single shot.

Contrast this to WOW (and, I'm guessing, LOTRO) deer. They wander around, completely oblivious to both wandering carnivores and well-armed adventurers. They continue to be oblivious right up to the point that you start to attack them, whereupon their reaction is to turn and fight you. Thus, the need for a sling to kill them would seem completely unnecessary.

I know that the creatures in many games have only two possible reactions: ignore you, or attack you. it'd be interesting to have a game with the other possibility, that some creatures will fear you and run. And it would make quests to hunt them definitely more interesting...

jmpatt:
So, to add insult to injury, but I wonder (not having played LOTRO) if the deer there act like the deer in WOW, which is to say completely unlike real deer. You see, in real life deer are cautious, nervous, skittish, and will flee if they detect the slightest hint of anything that might be large and carnivorous. If they perceive an actual active threat, they will flee much, much faster. Because of this behavior, deer hunting necessitates stealth, patience, and the use of long range weaponry with an ability to kill or incapacitate with a single shot.

Contrast this to WOW (and, I'm guessing, LOTRO) deer. They wander around, completely oblivious to both wandering carnivores and well-armed adventurers. They continue to be oblivious right up to the point that you start to attack them, whereupon their reaction is to turn and fight you. Thus, the need for a sling to kill them would seem completely unnecessary.

I know that the creatures in many games have only two possible reactions: ignore you, or attack you. it'd be interesting to have a game with the other possibility, that some creatures will fear you and run. And it would make quests to hunt them definitely more interesting...

Unless you are an elf, normal fauna like deer will flee from you when you approach, and will also flee if a battle starts near them. However, deer in certain areas are not the same as their smaller, flighty cousins found elsewhere, and are more aggressive and far more durable.

I've not run across a quest to hunt normal creatures, but there's sooooo many quests out there that I can't say they don't exist.

Shamus Young:

Lulzy finds herself in an unbearable situation.

I just realised the horrible pun in that.

Finally someone knows the threat that bears pose and has the fortitude to take them down!

jmpatt:

Maybe it's juz this is the escapist but I immediately thought of this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_250/7443-Slow-Death-In-a-Shady-Glen

jmpatt:

*cough*Evendim*cough* Sorry had to clear my throat. At this rate, I'd surprised if the last town Lulzy visits in the Shire is not brutally butchered and fed to the local wildlife. I think the Goblins/Orcs of Moria will have something besides Dwarves or even giant demons (evil Maiar) to worry about when Lulzy arrives.

You should check out the drama sequence in Overhill by the pond where the hobbit lad is proposing to the hobbit lass. And if you go to Brockenborings, you should check out the really funny one near the statue. Though that one might take a bit longer to trigger.

I believe that hobbits can complete a deed named something like "spider-foe". You have to kill 200 spiders for it. Yeah, it seems that hobbits hate spiders in general.

This quest also made me think of the plot of "brother bear". You know, mama-bear drags off corpse of dead animal for her cub. Human doesn't like it and kills mama-bear. I'm sure that at this moment, a lonely bear cub cries for its mother while it slowly starves to death.
If it isn't killed by Lulzy already, of course.

If the stone is so lucky, it might be worth considering *not* slinging it away from himself, *not* hunting with that particular stone...

This would almost be enough to make me start my own LOTRO adventures if I thought I could make them as amusing as the comic. Sadly, I don't think my sense of humor is that good.

You think the developers got something against bears? Wait until you get jobs to start hunting Wargs, especially in the Lonelands and Northern Downs and forward. They. Never. Stop.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.