E3 2010: Paid Premium PlayStation Network Confirmed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

E3 2010: Paid Premium PlayStation Network Confirmed

The PlayStation Network will still be free to use, but for $6 a month users will get a little bit more with PlayStation Plus.

We'd heard rumors of a paid premium PSN in the past, and Sony confirmed it on stage at their E3 2010 press conference: PlayStation Plus is real, and will cost gamers $49 a year, or $18 for three months to subscribe.

For your money, this is what you get: Exclusive betas and demos, discounts on PSN games and downloads, as well as a feature that will automatically detect, download and install update updates and patches (I hope you can turn that off, if you're running Linux on your PS3 - for example).

If you don't want to pay, though, you still can play online - it's just an added bonus on top.

For more, check out Steve Butts' liveblog of the event.

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here.

Cool when i eventually get my PS3 i'll probably pay for this.

Well if I get discounts on downloaded games then it just might be worth it. I sure do love those classic games...

Hopefully Microsoft will learn and make Xbox Live similar to this so that Silver members can actually play online.

The only bad thing I see is the demos. I love having demos to try games out, but if they're paid content... (though not all of them may be, yes, I know). Well, anyway, I'm a PC. So my demos are free (if they exist at all!)

This seems a lot more reasonable than the 360 deal, I think. Pretty cool getting access to betas and demos, and it won't affect your ability to play games.

...Hmmm I'm paying attention sony.

Get it? paying attention?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NAHHH.

I won't buy this, I hardly ever download games and it's be a waste of money for me. Meh.

Dr. wonderful:
...Hmmm I'm paying attention sony.

Get it? paying attention?

Oh, you're sooo cheeky.
But this seems like a cool deal overall.

I'm just hoping for improved community-features.

Probably a smart move to offer the premium service as a bonus. If they started charging just to be on PSN, then would likely put a lot of people off.

Sony have to get this service right though, adding PS1 and PS2 games WITH TROPHIES is a definite must, possibly give premium subscribers free access to premium themes, avatars etc. would also help

This could cause a headache for people with both consoles in terms of which service to pay for as $50 per year for both Xbox Live & PSN is a bit steep. We might get a bit of price war for premium services (probably just the ramblings of a mad man though!)

John Funk:
A feature that will automatically detect, download and install update updates and patches (I hope you can turn that off, if you're running Linux on your PS3 - for example).

You can't access the PSN with old firmware anyway so you couldn't become a premium member.

humm, have to pay to get beta and demo access, eh? that's pretty lame, about the only thing my PS3 1-up'd the xbox for was my free demos. tis a shame.

If Microsoft's plan was like this then I would've ended up getting an Xbox 360 rather than a PS3.

I for one think this idea is fantastic on Sony's part.

Too bad they said that any DLC you get while using the Plus will expire with your Subscription.\
Other than that looks ok.

Maybe MS could learn from this model.

Don't think that demo part is true, I think they said subscribers would get early access to demos though.

T a bad model to go with...now if only Microsoft would take the same hint...

This style of premium membership reminds me off the one we have here. I myself am probably not going to get it because my internet connection for gaming is always quite bad, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Now to wait and see when threads start popping up on here saying that Sony will have to make you pay, and how people will think that is the case and get angry. You know, like what happened here when people were misinformed.

bue519:

I hope not, it's bad enough they've released a shiny black slim 360 with built in Wi-Fi.

I think a subscription for the actual online play is better, because once a company accepts your money for that, they're obligated to ensure that things like matchmaking, latency, connections and other aspects of actual online gaming are up to a certain standard.

Since this PSN subscription has nothing to do with online play, the premium members are only entitled to free, non-premium, "you get what you pay for" standard of online play, so as long as the PSN betas, demos, discounts and game downloads are functioning, they can't complain if it takes 1 hour to find a match which drops the connection after 10 minutes, since that's not what they're paying for.

In a nutshell, it's premium access to a shop, not a gaming service, in my opinion.

Jamash:

bue519:

I hope not, it's bad enough they've released a shiny black slim 360 with built in Wi-Fi.

I think a subscription for the actual online play is better, because once a company accepts your money for that, they're obligated to ensure that things like matchmaking, latency, connections and other aspects of actual online gaming are up to a certain standard.

Since this PSN subscription has nothing to do with online play, the premium members are only entitled to free, non-premium, "you get what you pay for" standard of online play, so as long as the PSN betas, demos, discounts and game downloads are functioning, they can't complain if it takes 1 hour to find a match which drops the connection after 10 minutes, since that's not what they're paying for.

In a nutshell, it's premium access to a shop, not a gaming service, in my opinion.

True, but to be fair, if the internet service already works, and works well, there isn't a lot of point to tie in internet ability to pay. Sony's free service did the job well, so the place they chose to go with it is more features

bue519:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure all Live Gold members already had exclusive demos and betas, and even Silver members get free updates and patches. The only thing new thing I see here is the discounted PSN games.

SilentHunter7:

bue519:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure all Live Gold members already had exclusive demos and betas, and even Silver members get free updates and patches. The only thing new thing I see here is the discounted PSN games.

Xbox Live Gold members already get discounts--they might cycle through, but deal of the week discounts games pretty handsomely.

Basically the PS3's major trump card is free online gaming. Xbox has all of this already plus cross game support (can't believe they didn't add this to PSN Subscription!)

Wasn't there talk about the paid service offering cloud storage not long back? That was the only part that made me tempted to be honest.

TheDukester:

SilentHunter7:

bue519:

Xbox Live Gold members already get discounts--they might cycle through, but deal of the week discounts games pretty handsomely.

Basically the PS3's major trump card is free online gaming. Xbox has all of this already plus cross game support (can't believe they didn't add this to PSN Subscription!)

See I was looking at the whole "crazy" idea of free multiplayer. Ooooooohh what a crazy idea. Then again I'm a pc gamer. Also I'm not quite sure what cross gaming support is besides the fact that they can get pwned by PC gamers.

Jamash:

bue519:

Your right you should have to pay fifty bucks to actually enjoy sixty dollar game. No offense but the PC has had free to play multiplayer and you still have a great multiplayer experience. Besides atleast with the PSN you don't have to sign up to a service to have fun, you can if you have cash to burn but if you don't you can still enjoy your games. I mean c'mon who buys MW2 for the singleplayer. And if you do please have yourself seen by a psychologist.

Good work Sony. Free platform for everyone to play online, free content for basic users and optional extras (that actually sound good) for a small yearly fee! I'm all for this! Microsoft could learn a thing or two from this. Paid online does not really increase the service, just Microsoft's wallets. The servers etc are all paid for an run by companies who make the games. I've never experienced slow connection or speeds on PSN. I'll be buying this for sure.

Outlaw Torn:
Hopefully Microsoft will learn and make Xbox Live similar to this so that Silver members can actually play online.

That's the problem there. Once Xbox Live follows PSN, Microsoft will lose ALOT of revenue. You know why? We pay to GET online, we don't really care about getting demos earlier or whatever additional shit. Even Gold has to pay for alot of things.

So no, it'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they followed Sony.

Straying Bullet:

Outlaw Torn:

That's the problem there. Once Xbox Live follows PSN, Microsoft will lose ALOT of revenue. You know why? We pay to GET online, we don't really care about getting demos earlier or whatever additional shit. Even Gold has to pay for alot of things.

It's a shame the whole corporation thing overshadows the fun of free gaming. Although I still laugh at their whole thing when they tried to make PC gamers pay for Games for Windows Live.

That sounds like a good move on Sony's part.
The people who want to play for free still can, but the people who want a bit more can pay for this.

bue519:

Straying Bullet:

Outlaw Torn:

It's a shame the whole corporation thing overshadows the fun of free gaming. Although I still laugh at their whole thing when they tried to make PC gamers pay for Games for Windows Live.

Indeed, that was one horrible screw-up. By nature, PC gamers are rebels. They mod, do whatever they want because their system is their own. They upgraded and combined it or purchased for it. Some shitty service that makes you play atop of your games + Internet connection is just outragous. A console is another story. You have simply no other option.

Straying Bullet:

bue519:

Straying Bullet:

Outlaw Torn:

Indeed, that was one horrible screw-up. By nature, PC gamers are rebels. They mod, do whatever they want because their system is their own. They upgraded and combined it or purchased for it. Some shitty service that makes you play atop of your games + Internet connection is just outragous. A console is another story. You have simply no other option.

True, but I guess your playing their console so you have to follow their rules. Thank god that MS doesn't control the PC market......yet.

o thank god i thought for a sec that theyd charge for inline play

Throw in the bonus that the servers will give you priority (thus incentivizing the online crowd) and I'll throw down the cash.

What's being offered is fine, but better online multi is better

Jamash:

bue519:

But PSN quality is just as top notch as xbox live. The difference is with Microsoft you have to pay for it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here