E3 2010: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Pages 1 2 NEXT

E3 2010: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

The apprentice is back for some vengeance.

There's not a lot of job security when you're the apprentice to the Dark Lord of the Sith. After the horrible events of the last game, Starkiller's back in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II to show everyone just how tired he is of being double-crossed by the asthmatic man in black.

The trailer shows you just what a badass you can be in this game but it was the live demo that sold me. Starkiller is trying to escape from Vader on Kamino. Things start with Starkiller in a controlled dive down the side of a massive tower. The player gets to destroy all sorts of platforms, TIE Fighters and stormtroopers on the way down, but that's only a prelude to the awesomeness to come.

You see, Starkiller has two lightsabers this time around and, as everyone knows, two is better than one. It leads to more combos, more flourishes and, of course, more decapitations. Everything the team learned from the original The Force Unleashed is being carried over into the sequel, and the result is better combat and better pacing overall thanks to small puzzle elements that help break up the action.

Sure, all the same Force powers are back, so you can pick up enemies and slam them into nearby generators, and you can crush TIE Fighters with your mind and hurl the wreckage into large groups of enemies, but there are some new tricks Starkiller has learned since we last saw him. His new mind trick ability can not only convince his enemies to fire on each other, but can even convince them that it's in their own best interest to leap to their death from any nearby precipice. There's also a Force Fury mode that amplifies all your Force powers, which can be handy when you want to crush a nearby AT-ST with your mind, or when you want to simultaneously decapitate a dozen stormtroopers at once.

Melee combat has been improved as well. You'll now face off against melee opponents who can block your saber attacks, forcing you to think of inventive ways to destroy them. Most impressive of all is the new carbonite trooper, a hulking, armored brute protected by a massive metal shield. To get the best of this enemy, you'll need to wrest the shield from his grasp, at which point you are free to bludgeon him to death with it before scoring one of your awesome finishing moves.

The end of the demo saw Starkiller finally make his way to Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, which he stole, leaving no doubt as to how quickly this showdown would escalate.

The Force Unleashed II is due out on October 26 of this year.

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here.

Ooooooo. Interesting. Although, this makes no sense with how the first ended. I mean think about it, the ending pretty much stopped the sequel from existing, yet here it is.

VanityGirl:
Ooooooo. Interesting. Although, this makes no sense with how the first ended. I mean think about it, the ending pretty much stopped the sequel from existing, yet here it is.

This guy is a clone, hence why you start on Kamino

Rambling Gentleman:

Well that sounds completely stupid. And that stupid comment is not about you, it's about the idea of him being cloned is just... so... dumb. Is that really a fact? Because that will bother me for the rest of the game.

In the trailer it really bothers me why Storm Troppers, with ranged weapons, run to melee range of that Lightsaber wielding killing machine.

Soods:
In the trailer it really bothers me why Storm Troppers, with ranged weapons, run to melee range of that Lightsaber wielding killing machine.

That bugged the heck out of me too.

OT: Looks cool, and I enjoyed the first with all of its flaws. Hopefully the second will fix them and be even more jedi fun.

I don't care if it is just a money making sequel! The trailer looks fantastic!

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

Well that sounds completely stupid. And that stupid comment is not about you, it's about the idea of him being cloned is just... so... dumb. Is that really a fact? Because that will bother me for the rest of the game.

It's a tad of a cop out, but when you think about the existing cannon and universe it does make sense. I mean they cloned Jango Fett so why not Starkiller?

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

I pondered this for a long time...

The only way he lived was as a second darth vader, and even then he would have electronic limbs (the reason that Darth Vader lost alot of his strength in the force was the fact that he had to have so much of his limbs replaced by machine. Force flows through all LIVING things)

So he would HAVE to be a clone if they wanted him to have a sequel. I heard the story is about hm running from/taking the fight to vader and reconnecting with Juno... Will be hilarious to see her face

"But.... You died"

"Well... I... Um... I'm a clone?"

"Oh....... okay"

If the game is any good, they'll twist the story so that she struggles with the fact that he's a clone, rather than point blank accepting it (Had it when characters accept everything they see).

This is all assuming he's a clone

I love the 1st game and cannot wait for this sequel :D

Rambling Gentleman:

It's a tad of a cop out, but when you think about the existing cannon and universe it does make sense. I mean they cloned Jango Fett so why not Starkiller?

True, but it's just odd because how could the clone so quickly learn Force powers and everything? And how could Starkiller not feel a connection to his clone via the force? I'm probably looking too much into it, but I feel like others would have similar questions.
Doesn't it seem kind of odd to you as well?

while im ecstatic at the idea and enjoy the look of the game i have only seen stuff from cut scenes and such shown in previews

so i dont know if this problem has been solved but the fact that it took more than one hit to kill a storm trooper, and the fact that i couldn't cut them apart. not to sound sadistic but i just enjoyed doing that when i played jedi academy, just seemed weird that i can cut a little droid in half but a storm trooper is only an impale.

I wasn't very impressed by the first game. So I'm a little hesitant at the moment...

Why would Vader clone a new Starkiller? After all, the first one worked out so well for him.

Clone? Eh...well I guess it's better than them just pretending the events of the first game were different.

I'm just hoping they change the way they handle boss fights, was my only major complaint about the first game. Little other things here and there, but that was the big one.

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

True, but it's just odd because how could the clone so quickly learn Force powers and everything? And how could Starkiller not feel a connection to his clone via the force? I'm probably looking too much into it, but I feel like others would have similar questions.

I don't know a genie did it? I have no idea how they justify all that stuff, but I atleast will suspend belief to enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the first.

As long as the story is better paced (it was good, but the pacing felt "off" all the time - let's hope they haven't taken tips from R* on that!) and they mix opponents better than that's fine by me.

In the last game you had 2 types of every enemy in a group of, say, 15-20. Each type would be vulnerable to virtually EVERY FUCKING ATTACK you had except 1, meaning combat was choppy (no pun intended) as hell and it was really hard to get any sort of flow going.

I thought it would be better with a new protagonist (not saying Starkiller was bad), this way the story can properly structured with real beginning and end

What!? He steals Vader's TIE?!? Oh, HELLS no, Vader won't like that!

"I have you no...wait a sec. Where's my TIE? Oh, that is IT!!"

The trailer underwhelmed me, (the first one for PSN) as the voice actors seem a little off - Yoda doesn't sound right at ALL, aside from messing with his sentence structure. I don't much care for messing around with Star Wars' storyline, but this game actually does sound pretty cool.

I just hope they improved it enough to redeem from the first one...which...yeah, wasnt that good

CoverYourHead:

Soods:

That bugged the heck out of me too.

Probably because they think "Well, if he decapitates me, it might be less painful than getting crushed by Force."

Being one the few (apparently, VERY few) who enjoyed the first one, I am certainly looking forward to this.

My1stLuvJak:
What!? He steals Vader's TIE?!? Oh, HELLS no, Vader won't like that!

"I have you no...wait a sec. Where's my TIE? Oh, that is IT!!"

The trailer underwhelmed me, (the first one for PSN) as the voice actors seem a little off - Yoda doesn't sound right at ALL, aside from messing with his sentence structure. I don't much care for messing around with Star Wars' storyline, but this game actually does sound pretty cool.

Haha!

"Sideous Dear! I'm going to work! Have you seen my TIE?"
"It's in the hangar where you left it"
"No it's... That... Bastard! Shit's getting real!"

I don't know, I like in the last game how there would be no rebellion if not for starkiller, and therefore, vader's orders. Was such a hilarious moment to laugh at vader and say "You started this shit! Now you have to clean it up!"

if he's a clone that would mean u can clone jedi / sith yes? so why do they bother with clone troopers? surually a army of sith baddass is more of a adversary.

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

well we all know Starkiller was strong in the force as just a child, so maybe when they cloned him, the clone was also strong in the force as well, although im pretty sure a tutorial will happen showing how he masters them so quickly...im gunna miss Proxy =(

Soods:

what bothers me even more than this is that Storm Troopers are supposed to be THE best of The Empire, well not THE best, that would go to the Dark Troopers:

shut up, I know they are droids, but they are still bad ass.

but how in the hell do they miss so damn much?

SERIOUSLY, WATCH THE MOVIES, if the shot doesn't miss, it gets batted back at them just as easily.

NOW, add in that you are a force wielding bad-ass who also just happens to have TWO lightsabers and you can kinda assume why they switched to droids latter on.

clones must be hella-expensive.

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

sigh, forgive me for my Star Wars nerd explosion that is about to happen.

Remeber when Vader killed Obi-Wan in episode IV? how his body disappeared? Turns out that a Jedi can become so intuned with the force that upon death can resist becoming ONE with the force and re-appear as the force ghost. now, you can stretch from this that Starkiller's "force imprint" or whatever, was so strong that his clone was able to pick up on the same exact "imprint", thus, Starkiller v2.0 and so on if those other clones we saw were indeed more Starkillers, but if that is the case then they too would pick up on his imprint and be the exact same as the original -OR- for some reason the developers will not think too far into it and for some unexplained reason they will be the bastards that annoy you at the end of every level.

now if you excuse me I need to go hit on some girls before my weregeek overcomes me.

...Bleh.

I pretty much lost interest to TFU even before the first game had been released. Games that focus around battles and killing enemies should make it satisfying for the player to defeat an opponent. In TFU you could apparently plow your way through fifty enemies by just the pushing of a few buttons. The trailers have given me bad impressions aswell on what the developers intend. The enemies are apparently meant to be... nothing more then idiotic. For example in this most recent trailer, shouldn't all those Storm Troopers be trained in like... -taking cover-?! Despite being equipped with deadly ranged weapons, lets all just try to hug him while not even trying to shoot, making it all the more easier for him to do a devastating AOE (Area Of Effect) spell! No wonder why Vader tends to kill his colleauges... I'd do it too if they were that incompetent!

A game that can have the player's enemies to be deadly and dangerous while still making it possible for him/her to pull through using creative thinking has succeeded in making a solid gameplay if you ask me. In TFU however it seems to be all about blowing things up and overwhelming your opponents using Force powers with great ease and without any sort of challenge. What this does in my opinion is that it removes all the tension not only from the gameplay, but from the story aswell. Since the protagonist is apparently invincible.

It all feels like they try to seduce us with epic special effects, with the players fighting armies of robots and Rancors the size of the Empire State Building. The problem with this is that when you put in massive sceneries and encounters constantly the "epicness" is lost. It just becomes a new norm.

*TFU SPOILER ALERT!*

Also, I question the effort put into making a compelling story. Since the developers didn't feel like letting the main character remain dead and introduce a new protagonist, they have him resurrected! How... Original. Why should I be concerned about the characters' saftey when they nearly always return from the dead?

*TFU SPOILER OVER!*

I'd preffer if they made gameplay that focused more around lightsaber fighting, with Force powers as secondary or supporting abilities. That certainly has potential for an entertaining game! Where a blaster shot to your stomach could be lethal, if not delivering a killing blow.

Also, why do the players have to be demigods? It would provide with interesting variation if you needed to utilize stealth, sabotage and subtle navigation to survive. In TFU the developers' logic seem to be based on that since someone is a Force user, he is a god. Why did Vader bother hunting down his son when Starkiller could obliterate armies without breaking a sweat?

Perhaps I should make it clear that I have not played TFU, but this is nonetheless the impression I got from their illustration.

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

I think it is, in the trailer it shows Darth Vader with a whole bunch of clones. (Clones of Starkiller, that is)

So yeah. You are probably a clone.

No mention of how the endings from the previous games would affect this one?

No playing as a Sithstalker from the start?

From the looks of the screenshot the development team just assumed we'd all pick the good option and made the game to suit that ridiculous presumption?

Yeah, I'm not impressed. Unless I'm wrong and it DOES affect how the game plays...
but until that happens I reserve full rights to be unimpressed.

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

Also, they'd need some stupid reason why you're starting again with none of the upgrades from the first game, this covers it nicely.
Depending on when they cloned him though I'd call to question how he still hates Vader...

Can you really "decapitate" this time? I hope so, Im tired of a freaking lightsaber being as powerful as a wiffle bat against limbs. I mean seriously it should take one solid hit to kill something with a lightsaber, not a "combo".

Kalezian:

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

sigh, forgive me for my Star Wars nerd explosion that is about to happen.

Remeber when Vader killed Obi-Wan in episode IV? how his body disappeared? Turns out that a Jedi can become so intuned with the force that upon death can resist becoming ONE with the force and re-appear as the force ghost. now, you can stretch from this that Starkiller's "force imprint" or whatever, was so strong that his clone was able to pick up on the same exact "imprint", thus, Starkiller v2.0 and so on if those other clones we saw were indeed more Starkillers, but if that is the case then they too would pick up on his imprint and be the exact same as the original -OR- for some reason the developers will not think too far into it and for some unexplained reason they will be the bastards that annoy you at the end of every level.

now if you excuse me I need to go hit on some girls before my weregeek overcomes me.

Weregeek? Don't hide from it, embrace it! Wear your heart on your sleeve...

... just try not to get blood on everything, okay?

Seriously though I think we're all forgetting the obvious problem here - people survive a hit from a lightsabre. Not ever Vador was sabre-proof, that's why he lost his hand to Luke. People can say "Oh they're Jedi" all they want but that doesn't actually excuse anything. Cortosis is about the only excuse for anything being sabre-proof and even then it works differently depending on whose interpretation you're using (in Jedi Outcast it's just resistant, in the comics it causes feedback and busts the sabre, etc). Stormtroopers go from elites to mooks in the first film, I think we can just let them die after one hit like they're supposed to.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah I know, game balance...

Ok, so Vader is alive, and everything is in tune with the galaxy a la A New Hope?

I see. I was wondering how Starkiller in his unaltered human form could be back from the dead...but I guess if he's a clone...

I did quite enjoy the DLC they produced from Force Unleashed 1, where you controlled a remade, evil Starkiller hunting down Luke etc...maybe they should have just carried on from there? But then I guess they thought people would want a character they could relate too...and it is kind of hard to relate to an armour clad half robot sith...

VanityGirl:

Rambling Gentleman:

Well, I know the Star Wars Extended Universe has used clones to bring everybody from Darth Maul to Darth Sideous to create a bad guy.

Hmmm. A Star Wars game I might conceivably be interested in. That's a nice array of powers - I'm particularly interested by picking people up and slamming them into things. That was the only reason I enjoyed X-Men Legends at all - I played as Jean Grey all the time just so I could pick people up and throw them at walls with my mind.

I hope they fixed the seriously broken gameplay mechanics and AI. How they ever managed to make smashing TIE fighters with the Force tedious and frustrating and NOT FUN is beyond me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here